PDA

View Full Version : Long weekend trips from DFW

norine62
08-15-2007, 18:19
Hello all,

The wife and I are looking to get away from the DFW area (by car) and do some new scuba stuff over Labor Day weekend. Getting down to the Gulf of Mexico would be awesome, but I don't really know of any areas/charters that are down there. So, I guess anywhere in 5-8 hrs of the DFW area is fair game.

Ideas?

Coaster
08-15-2007, 23:00
Some folks are heading ro Lake Ouichita in Arkansas. There is quarry diving in Joplin Missouri.

ParrotheadDiver
08-16-2007, 13:21
There are charters to the Flower Gardens in the Gulf usually a 3 day deal....but with Hurricaine Dean looming not sure if the charters would be going out....but labor day weekend is a whole week away....could be clear.....http://www.gulf-diving.com/ these trips book up fast but sometimes they have an opening....

texarkandy
08-16-2007, 15:46
Some folks are heading ro Lake Ouichita in Arkansas. There is quarry diving in Joplin Missouri.

There is a shop in Little Rock that runs pontoon dive trips on Ouachita. "Ricks" I think - they are on the net, you can google them & then call them up.

"Ocean Extreme" out of Little Rock has a dive shack at one of the marinas for equip rentals & airfills. They are also supposed to have one on Lake DeGray (which is a little bit closer than Ouachita.

The "Scuba & Archery Center" has a shop in Hot Springs & air-fills at their shop in Hot Springs as well as at one of the marinas on Lake Ouchita.

I'm told you really need a boat to dive either Ouachita or DeGray. I've been fishing/boating on both but haven't dove (dived?) either yet. (new diver) I hope to get up there soon. PM me, maybe we can get a trip together (I'm in Texarkana - halfway from DFW area & those lakes)

texdiveguy
08-16-2007, 15:50
You might consider Broken Bow lake in sw Oklahoma.

mwhities
08-16-2007, 15:59
I'll be in Gulf Shores Alabama the Friday the 31st through the 3rd of September. I have about 6 to 8 people that are going to be doing shores dives through out the area. You are welcomed to come visit. :)

Michael

greyzen
08-21-2007, 14:02
I don't know if you are still checking this forum, but Lake Travis is kind of a nice place to come hang out for a weekend.

I've heard of people diving the Comal river as well, which is just south of Austin.

BSea
08-21-2007, 14:14
I 2nd the flower gardens. It's a great diving value, but it's not luxury. But lots of dives with lots of critters, sharks & rays.

norine62
08-21-2007, 15:00
Sorry... lurker by nature. :)

I appreciate all the responses. I think the FG might be a little too much right now... though in reality its probably me just being overly cautious. In any case, the two boats recomended are full up.

Travis is a definate option... as are several of the other suggestions made. As I mentioned before, I'm limited to what I can get to by car.

greyzen
08-21-2007, 15:39
Sorry... lurker by nature. :)

I appreciate all the responses. I think the FG might be a little too much right now... though in reality its probably me just being overly cautious. In any case, the two boats recomended are full up.

Travis is a definate option... as are several of the other suggestions made. As I mentioned before, I'm limited to what I can get to by car.

FG is an investment for sure, both of time and planning.

Lake Travis is actually pretty busy, check the 'Windy Point' threads...and heck... Cedar Creek (misleading name, it's a lake) is close too, though I dunno how good of diving it is.

Vercingetorix
08-21-2007, 17:30
Hello all,

The wife and I are looking to get away from the DFW area (by car) and do some new scuba stuff over Labor Day weekend. Getting down to the Gulf of Mexico would be awesome, but I don't really know of any areas/charters that are down there. So, I guess anywhere in 5-8 hrs of the DFW area is fair game.

Ideas?

Some folks are heading to Lake Ouichita in Arkansas. There is quarry diving in Joplin Missouri.The ScubaDillo Dive Club (http://www.scubadillo.org) of Dallas is heading for Lake Ouchita. You're welcome to join us. We're leaving Friday. It's free to dive with us. Just pay for lodging (Brady Mountain Resort) and your piece of the diving barge.

PM me if you are interested.

cjslandman
08-22-2007, 16:49
An algae bloom is in full swing on the Big O... as of two weeks ago and two weeks prior... not sure what viz would be but it was really bad both times we tried... Have done Windy Point and for my money and experience it is the best bet around and what the heck how bad can Austin be for a weekend...

greyzen
08-22-2007, 16:55
An algae bloom is in full swing on the Big O... as of two weeks ago and two weeks prior... not sure what viz would be but it was really bad both times we tried... Have done Windy Point and for my money and experience it is the best bet around and what the heck how bad can Austin be for a weekend...

Might want to hurry, Windy point is arguably going to be closed down and turned into some private non-disclosed something.

norine62
08-22-2007, 21:00
According to Richard (and I got it from the horse's mouth, so to speak)... there will be SCUBA activities through at least May of next year... the new owners have asked him to stay on that long to run operations; he seems to think that they are interested in keeping it as a scuba park.

He found the Hilton rumor particualrly amusing... just think, we could get Paris and Nicki to carry tanks.

fire diver
08-22-2007, 22:22
Not sure how many hours away it is, but have you thought about Beaver lake in Arkansas? Great diving, and it's ten miles away from Eureka springs. If you're not familiar, the wife will probably LOVE it. The entire town is B&B's, gift shops, antiques, curios, shopping, shopping, shopping. It's also the home of 2 haunted hotels, Basin Park and the Crescent.

Lots of places to stay right at the lake, witha short (but curvy) drive into town for eats and entertainment.

FD