PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever just break out a tank of nitrox or pure O2 just to enjoy a little...

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 20:29
extra Oxygen?

I figure these oxygen bars exist right, so maybe it would be nice to have the option to just have a little oxygen lift after a hard day of work available at home.

deepdiver47
08-15-2007, 20:55
I am a Nitrox junkie. I love diving with it and that is the extent of it for me. Give me Nitrox or give me death!

quarrydiver
08-15-2007, 21:34
sounds good, I couldn't really tell much difference between the air and nitrox but a couple dive buddies swear it makes them feel better after the dive.

Xspect
08-15-2007, 21:48
Pure 02 can be very harmful and dangerous. It is considered a drug in the medical profession

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 22:11
Pure 02 can be very harmful and dangerous. It is considered a drug in the medical profession

i was waiting for this, so you're telling me it's dangerous to sit in my living room sipping some pure oxygen for a bit eh?

dmdoss
08-15-2007, 22:21

i was waiting for this, so you're telling me it's dangerous to sit in my living room sipping some pure oxygen for a bit eh?

Oh no!! your going to grow a third arm!:smiley36:

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 22:27

Oh no!! your going to grow a third arm!:smiley36:

that would be cool

cummings66
08-15-2007, 22:41

Um, define bit. Breathe it long enough and yes it can be dangerous, for a short period no.

To be honest, I don't see the point in it. Your blood oxygen levels should be nearly perfect unless you have a health problem and taking in excess O2 would only mean you have money to burn. Of course if you're a football player then it might help you, or if you're going to do a breath hold it may help you hold it longer, but to set there and watch TV I don't think it's going to help a bit.

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 22:59

Um, define bit. Breathe it long enough and yes it can be dangerous, for a short period no.

To be honest, I don't see the point in it. Your blood oxygen levels should be nearly perfect unless you have a health problem and taking in excess O2 would only mean you have money to burn. Of course if you're a football player then it might help you, or if you're going to do a breath hold it may help you hold it longer, but to set there and watch TV I don't think it's going to help a bit.

i dunno, i'm just curious. Apparently O2 bars are huge in japan.....people sit there for hours...even 5-10 hours according to wikipedia and breath enriched air. I'm just curious to see how it would feel. And they also sell canned air that is 95% O2.

i figure why not....if you have a nitrox tank...beats payin $1.00 a minute at an O2 bar....i'd give it a try

ScubaCrash
08-15-2007, 23:02
I know I've dabbled with it a time or two when I was younger coming into work feeling a bit "foggy" from a long night partying the night before. 5 or 6 hits through a non-rebreather mask and no more hangover1

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 23:05
I know I've dabbled with it a time or two when I was younger coming into work feeling a bit "foggy" from a long night partying the night before. 5 or 6 hits through a non-rebreather mask and no more hangover1

nice dude!

now THAT sounds like it would be a very useful application!!!!

nferra2
08-15-2007, 23:06
I prefer N20.

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 23:08
I prefer N20.

you're either a dentist, or you make a lot of whipped cream?

boat
08-16-2007, 09:08
My wife still wonders why the RediWhip cans in our fridge never have any gas in them . . . .

mike_s
08-16-2007, 09:20
Anyone got a copy of "Have a little Nitrox M' Dear" from Undercurrent?

It talks about how Nitrox helps your sex life.

WV Diver
08-16-2007, 09:26
I have to agree that unless you have a particluar health problem the cost would probably far out weight the benefit.

I didn't know all this was going on in Asia either. What do they say they get out of it? Obviously someone is making money off of it. That doesn't mean it really does anything for you. Lots of things are sold as aphrodisiacs that have no real basis in science, but if you believe sometimes that is all it takes.

However, I do know someone in the medical field who deals directly with oxygen and he tells me it is a great way to relieve a headache.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 09:59
Niether, but if I was going to use a gas as a recreational drug, I would prefer N20 to NO2.

Xspect
08-16-2007, 12:23
Its called oxygen toxicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

CompuDude
08-16-2007, 12:57

i dunno, i'm just curious. Apparently O2 bars are huge in japan.....people sit there for hours...even 5-10 hours according to wikipedia and breath enriched air. I'm just curious to see how it would feel. And they also sell canned air that is 95% O2.

i figure why not....if you have a nitrox tank...beats payin $1.00 a minute at an O2 bar....i'd give it a try
There are o2 bars here in the US also. They also have travelling booths that set up for entertainment at corp events and such as well... I've gone to one. They frequently combine it with aromatherapy by bubbling the gas through essential oils to make it smell purty.

The way they deliver the o2, however, is via a nose loop like you see people wearing in the hospital (the nose pips are trashed after every use). This method does not deliver anywhere near 100% o2, frankly I'd be surprised it it was as much as 50%. At 1 ATA, breathing 50%, there is very little risk even if they sat there for a couple of hours. If they were using demand valve regulators that delivered 100% o2 with each breath, I wouldn't want people to use it too long. Still, realizing that after a diving accident a diver could be on pure o2 for a couple of hours trying to reach a chamber, within reason it's clearly not TOO dangerous. The times you need to really worry about OxTox (CNS or pulmonary) are when you are breathing it under pressure or if you are in a hospital situation where you are breathing high concentrations for days. Nurses have to monitor patients connected to o2 and track exposure times for this reason... but those are multi-day exposures, not just sitting around the house for an hour taking some hits.

Queen
08-16-2007, 13:22
When I was a Firefighter it was common for any of the guys who had a hangover to offer to "help me" with the morning Rescue Truck inspection, nothing like a few shots of fresh squeezed O2 to help the day get better. :thumb:

skdvr
08-16-2007, 13:45
When I was a Firefighter it was common for any of the guys who had a hangover to offer to "help me" with the morning Rescue Truck inspection, nothing like a few shots of fresh squeezed O2 to help the day get better. :thumb:

When I was working on Jets and come in with a hangover I would find a reason to have to fire one up, so that I could take a few hits off the O2 mask. Lots of other Mechs did it also. It seemed to help us...

Phil

3rdEye
08-16-2007, 14:44
There are o2 bars here in the US also. They also have travelling booths that set up for entertainment at corp events and such as well... I've gone to one. They frequently combine it with aromatherapy by bubbling the gas through essential oils to make it smell purty.

The way they deliver the o2, however, is via a nose loop like you see people wearing in the hospital (the nose pips are trashed after every use). This method does not deliver anywhere near 100% o2, frankly I'd be surprised it it was as much as 50%. At 1 ATA, breathing 50%, there is very little risk even if they sat there for a couple of hours. If they were using demand valve regulators that delivered 100% o2 with each breath, I wouldn't want people to use it too long. Still, realizing that after a diving accident a diver could be on pure o2 for a couple of hours trying to reach a chamber, within reason it's clearly not TOO dangerous. The times you need to really worry about OxTox (CNS or pulmonary) are when you are breathing it under pressure or if you are in a hospital situation where you are breathing high concentrations for days. Nurses have to monitor patients connected to o2 and track exposure times for this reason... but those are multi-day exposures, not just sitting around the house for an hour taking some hits.

I know there's at least one night club here in philly that has an O2 bar, never been there, but anyway, after some of the responses here, I'm looking forward to getting my own tank...heheh....add a little nitrox to my hangover recovery regime.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-16-2007, 17:12
O2 may help with a hangover; but it is way more fun to get a hangover witih N2O. That is until you fall and hit your head! :smiley11::smiley36:

Funny why do they call that fishing?:smiley2:

kevinj1
08-17-2007, 13:28

Ive done this a bunch of times. It helps with the hangover. But, I cannot say how great it is for your body...

medic001918
08-17-2007, 14:37
The way they deliver the o2, however, is via a nose loop like you see people wearing in the hospital (the nose pips are trashed after every use). This method does not deliver anywhere near 100% o2, frankly I'd be surprised it it was as much as 50%

You're right, it's somewhere around 44%. They made us memorize the oxygen delivery rates for different devices in paramedic school.

And to the rest of the thoughts...here's mine...

And breating pure oxygen without medical need is more commonly placebo effect than a real effect. But if it makes you feel better....go for it. While the chances of causing harm are slim, the benefits aren't there either. If you want to feel better after a night of drinking...there are other ways that friends in the medical field could help with that would provide some real benefit. Oxygen isn't the one to help you with it though.

Shane

CompuDude
08-17-2007, 15:05
The way they deliver the o2, however, is via a nose loop like you see people wearing in the hospital (the nose pips are trashed after every use). This method does not deliver anywhere near 100% o2, frankly I'd be surprised it it was as much as 50%

You're right, it's somewhere around 44%. They made us memorize the oxygen delivery rates for different devices in paramedic school.

And to the rest of the thoughts...here's mine...

And breating pure oxygen without medical need is more commonly placebo effect than a real effect. But if it makes you feel better....go for it. While the chances of causing harm are slim, the benefits aren't there either. If you want to feel better after a night of drinking...there are other ways that friends in the medical field could help with that would provide some real benefit. Oxygen isn't the one to help you with it though.

Shane

Thanks, I couldn't recall the actual number. Those aren't used in scuba rescue techniques, generally, so it wasn't one I learned in Rescue or DM training.

I have a friend who is a paramedic... she used to tell me stories about long nights of hard drinking, crawling into work the next morning, hooking up a IV of saline, and BAM no more hangover!

terrillja
08-17-2007, 17:28
The one that will never cease to amaze me is the people that you see outside a hospital that are smoking with O2 going into their nose. Granted, maybe it's off, but still rather sketchy.

cummings66
08-17-2007, 17:44
I've seen some people burn their houses and furniture up with that combination. I had to go measure carpet once and look at their TV while I was there, they had been smoking and you could see on the carpet where the fire followed the hose all the way across it and up the chair catching it on fire. This was the second time she done it, this time it was a bit more involved than the first.

My brother in law is a Captain in a fire department and tells me he sees this a lot.

Buoyant1
08-17-2007, 20:44

There used to be a "bar" in our area that had O2 for "sipping"? Never figured out their way....I'd rather just drink some good wine and munch on appetizers..and save the 02 for deco reasons!!

At any rate, I LOVE Nitrox! 32% is my drug of choice!

medic001918
08-17-2007, 21:50
Compudude, you're right. It's the IV of normal saline that replaces the fluid since drinking makes you dehydrated. That's what's going to make you feel better. Not a little bit of oxygen.

Shane

ChrisA
08-17-2007, 23:16
extra Oxygen?

I figure these oxygen bars exist right, so maybe it would be nice to have the option to just have a little oxygen lift after a hard day of work available at home.

It doesn't work. You will simply exhale the un-used O2. Your blood only has a limited ability to cary oxygen and Breathing pure O2 will not put more O2 into your blood stream.

I tried this with a hospital OS system and a blood oxygen analyzer. The O2 only helps if you have some problem that prevent normal O2 uptake.

You can argue but I'll ask if the test you did was double blind. Did you know which tank had air and which had a richer mix? Next time get two tanks marked just "A" and "B" and get a few people and see how many can tell wich tank is wich just by breathing the gas. I doubt a normal person at sea level could tell air from EAN36

jo8243
09-18-2007, 13:45
extra Oxygen?

It doesn't work. You will simply exhale the un-used O2. Your blood only has a limited ability to cary oxygen and Breathing pure O2 will not put more O2 into your blood stream.

I tried this with a hospital OS system and a blood oxygen analyzer. The O2 only helps if you have some problem that prevent normal O2 uptake.

You can argue but I'll ask if the test you did was double blind. Did you know which tank had air and which had a richer mix? Next time get two tanks marked just "A" and "B" and get a few people and see how many can tell wich tank is wich just by breathing the gas. I doubt a normal person at sea level could tell air from EAN36

I agree, it won't be metabolized. Waste of time/money. Plus too much O2 is bad for your lungs in the long run.

kroorda
09-18-2007, 14:41
You could breathe Nitrox (generally mixed at 32%) for a very long time at sea-level (in your living room) before your oxygen level (F02) reaches a dangerous level. Too much oxygen in your system is akin to burning too rich of a fuel mixture in an engine..... You can't do it for long before you do damage.... Do it for long enough and the engine will STOP running.
I trust that you took the Nitrox course??? In that course, you surely learned that too much Oxygen is actually worse for you (in terms of the final results) than Nitrogen is. It is for that reason that you (a nitrox user) are required to double check the nitrox levels in your tank before you use it. It is also for that reason that you are required to take a Nitrox course before you use Nitrox. (Oxygen Enriched Air). Yes, they have oxygen bars in Japan. BUT, those bars very much control both the delivery and quantity of oxygen to the user. By your description, you don't seem interested in controlling anything. I'll close by saying, "If/when you reach the point of oxygen toxicity, you won't feel bad at all; in fact, you won't feel anything at all."

tremtech
09-24-2007, 06:44
I agree on the IV working better than the o2 for the hang over remedy, most of the effect of a hang over is the dehydration anyway. I do like the cool o2 in my face as I off gas the CH3CH2OH (ethanol ), in with the good air out with the bad.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 21:53
Also breathing a higher concentration of O2 can be deadly, not only oxtox. A friend of mine worked with pulmonary patients. There are certain conditions that people breathing higher O2 and it is toxic to them. Can't remember what the name was or why it was toxic. Divers shouldn't have to worry about this but someone might get the idea to use it just for fun and opps.

medic001918
09-24-2007, 22:45
The condition is COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulomnary Disorder). It's combination of emphysema, asthma and chronic bronchitis. People without any underlying conditions relay on carbon dioxide to trigger the respiratory drive where people with COPD become "oxygen retainers" due to the obstruction and increased expiratory effort that they require. To compensate for the higher levels of carbon dioxide chronically, their bodies adjust to using oxygen levels to trigger a respiratory response. While it is true that when they are overloaded with oxygen, it can cause them to stop breathing this conditions takes hours to dayes to develop. In fact, studies are coming out showing it's more theory than fact. Also, if you have COPD chances of your doctor clearing you to dive are slim to none at all. There's too many issues that go with it that could be potentially life threatening underwater.

Sorry for the brief physiology lesson guys. Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone wondered what it was and how it worked. There's so much more to it, but it's the general idea.

Shane

DevilDiver
09-24-2007, 23:17
extra Oxygen?

Strange post....... (WTF), It should work.?.!.?... (I can not condone this on advice for my legal team) I'm not sure if a diving board is the best place to throw this concept out and I am not sure of you are lookong for support or advice the way the post reads but I would make sure and do a little research for saftey reasons..... Anyway, good luck and let everyone know how this works out for you!:smilie40:

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 15:27
The condition is COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulomnary Disorder). It's combination of emphysema, asthma and chronic bronchitis. People without any underlying conditions relay on carbon dioxide to trigger the respiratory drive where people with COPD become "oxygen retainers" due to the obstruction and increased expiratory effort that they require. To compensate for the higher levels of carbon dioxide chronically, their bodies adjust to using oxygen levels to trigger a respiratory response. While it is true that when they are overloaded with oxygen, it can cause them to stop breathing this conditions takes hours to dayes to develop. In fact, studies are coming out showing it's more theory than fact. Also, if you have COPD chances of your doctor clearing you to dive are slim to none at all. There's too many issues that go with it that could be potentially life threatening underwater.

Sorry for the brief physiology lesson guys. Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone wondered what it was and how it worked. There's so much more to it, but it's the general idea.

Shane

That was what I was thinking of. Almost wrote it but wasn't sure.

divingmedic
09-25-2007, 17:16
Its called oxygen toxicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

If you really read into to article it takes alot of oxygen at 100 percent to develop ARDS. I give people 100 percent oxygen all the time at work with no side effects. Sitting at home and hitting a little enriched air will not kill you, or even harm you. It takes alot to disturb to O2/CO2 drive. Hitting enriched air from scuba tank will probably net them about 28 precent O2 which just a fraction over the 21 percent in ambient air. Like others, in my younger days, O2, Thiamine, and a IV of Ringers did wonders for my hangovers.

diverdad
09-25-2007, 21:09
As part of my job i do a lot of welding and the fumes sometimes gives me a headache, when this happens i take a couple of O2 and it goes away but i do not recommend doing it around open flames or very offtend.

DiverBry
09-25-2007, 21:46
Sometimes we start a dive on one end of the lake, and finish it on the other end, and someone gets the idea to "just walk back!"

I often wished I had nitrox in the tank for the loooong walk back... might keep me from getting out of breath, LOL!

DZorn00
09-26-2007, 11:19

I agree, i do believe that the O2 that you get at those oxygen bars is a tad bit different then what you get in your tank. It is a more pure O2. Because there is no change in BAR they can use a more pure form.

Charlotte Smith
09-26-2007, 11:41
Has anyone ever seen the oxygen enriched water they sell in health food stores? If you really wanted to "sip" a little.....this sounds like the way. It IS expensive though....

BoomerNJ
09-26-2007, 12:29
I have actually tried that water & I swear it helped my hangover. Of course I have no way to back that up. It was probably just the fact that I drank 2 20oz bottles of it...

Charlotte Smith
09-26-2007, 12:56
I have actually tried that water & I swear it helped my hangover. Of course I have no way to back that up. It was probably just the fact that I drank 2 20oz bottles of it...
Me too but not for a hang-over, I thought I might have more energy and it seemed that way but could've been all in my head. I hear that by the time the water reaches the shelves the O2 is gone. I have alo heard about O2 water fountains being great because the O2 doesn't go in until you get the drink......who can afford one though....

Tableleg
09-26-2007, 14:31
Eh, O2 water fountains sounds gimicky. The only thing that's ever worked for me for hangovers was either Pedialite, or Gatorade (the former working much better than the later)

CrzyJay456
09-26-2007, 14:43
Eh, O2 water fountains sounds gimicky.

very gimmicky. do they actually sell things like that?

Charlotte Smith
09-26-2007, 14:47
Eh, O2 water fountains sounds gimicky.

very gimmicky. do they actually sell things like that?
hmmmmmmmmmm

www.pathfoundation.com/oxywater-order.cfm

wgt
09-26-2007, 17:00
At normal atmospheric pressure, almost 100% of your oxygen transporting sites are occupied by oxygen in your arteries. Thus, breathing from a nitrox bottle (or even a medical oxygen bottle) exerts little of any physiological impact in a healthy person, whether frankly fatigued or just looking for a lift in their living room or at a bar. It is only at significantly elevated pressures where the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood increases (gas becomes more soluble in liquid as pressure increases). At elevated pressures, we still transport the oxygen bound to hemoglobin on the red blood cells, but we also transport a load of oxygen in the liquid component of the blood. Thus, oxygen bars and oxygen-charged water = money thrown away.

Concerning risks of breathing oxygen: After breathing pure oxygen for 24 consecutive hours, cells of the body are expected to synthesize enough oxygen free radicals to decrease the vital capacity of the lungs by about 10% (this decrease in function meets the criterion for toxic effects of oxygen on the lungs). Partial pressures of oxygen of at least 0.50 ATA are required to produce toxic effects on the lungs. This is why many oxygen bars only vend 40% oxygen. Thus, the thing that makes their product safe, also makes it inert. Many dive computers will track partial pressure of oxygen and time in order to reduce probabilities of toxic effects of oxygen on the lungs.

As for very high partial pressures of oxygen (i.e., > 2 ATA -- or pure oxygen being breathed at 10 m or 33 ft), toxic effects of oxygen on the nervous system can be expressed rapidly. These are the effects that are particularly dangerous for divers, who may have a seizure underwater and drown.

Enjoy your dives -- but I wouldn't worry about the oxygen-related gimmicks.