PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Coolpix L18

namabiru
10-11-2008, 23:37
I am in the market for a new digital camera, following my experience with the Reefmaster Mini, and I noticed that ST is selling the Nikon Coolpix L18 set.
Nikon Underwater Digital Camera reviews and discounts, Ikelite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=NikonUnderwaterDigitalCamera )

Is anyone using this? How is it working out for you?

DevilDiver
10-12-2008, 10:34
I have never shot this camera but that is a great price for a housing/camera setup.
This camera has good reviews: Nikon Coolpix L18 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpl18.asp)

The only drawback I would see is the Ike housing does not appear to have conections for fiber optic cords for strobes. (Hard to tell from pic but pretty sure) You can DIY a conection yourself though........

Still looks like a good deal..........If you purchase post a review on the ST page.

namabiru
10-12-2008, 23:38
No, it does look like you can add on a strobe, and eventually a wide-angle lens too. Underwater Housing for Nikon Coolpix Camera (http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/nik_l18.html)

What also appeals to me, though, is that I could order a replacement camera from Amazon right now for USD$115. So you buy the kit, then get a second camera in case the first one is flooded.

I was using a Reefmaster Mini, and there was a small accident with it. What appeals to me with that camera is the price-- not just for the camera itself, but the accessories. The wide angle lens, for instance, is a lot cheaper. So is the strobe.

I'm looking for a basic point-and-click camera, as a beginning shutterbug, but I'd like to have the option to upgrade my equipment once I get some experience. But I'm also looking for something lightweight and compact for my trip to Indonesia in December.

Aussheplady
10-16-2008, 19:15
I ordered mine from Amazon before I noticed that ST had them here. Mine was a kit, came with the camera, housing, soft case, 2GB memory card, mini tripod, memory card holder and I don't remember what else, but it was about the same price as here.
I did go directly to Fantasea and order the red filter for it. WOW, that surprised me. $50 for a piece of red plastic. LOL
You can order accessories, you can have 1 or 2 strobes, a spare lens holder, some sort of focus light to help your flash. The add ons are pricier than the camera so they will have to wait till I decide just how mucy I am willing to invest into UW photos.

Vacation to Cozumel starts in 3 days! 2 weeks of Bliss!

namabiru
10-17-2008, 12:18
Nice re. Cozumel-- go live it up!!!!

Well, right now I am oscillating between (red wine and beer?...) Sealife product and the Nikon package. What I like about the Sealife setup is the accessories are affordable. I just priced out a camera, strobe, wide angle lens, and macro lens set from ST, and I was looking at perhaps $400 to $500. This is quite affordable IMHO, and would presumably give me room to expand.

Note that I'm a tourist picture-taker, but love macro life. At Sipadan, for instance, everyone else was staring off in the distance at the sharks, but my head was buried in the reef, oohing and awing at the plethora of tiny life present... being told there was a turtle, or a shark, eventually became a distraction... (heh...).

So I'm looking for an affordable setup I can grow with as a tourist photo-taker, but still get into, say, the intermediates in terms of photo taking.

*Merlin*
10-18-2008, 14:59
I have a Ike housing that holds a Coolpix 885 or 4300. I am on my 3rd replacement camers and started looking for some new technology. The wife and I looked at the
Nikon Underwater Digital Camera reviews and discounts, Ikelite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=NikonUnderwaterDigitalCamera )

Last night and she said "you do the homework and decide". Today I saw the coolpix camera at Target for $129. Worst case senerio I go to Target While on vacation (Puerto Rico this December) and buy a new camera.

I am thinking I will pull the trigger on this deal soon.

namabiru
10-18-2008, 23:01
Yep, they're USD$115 or so on Amazon. So what could happen is you buy the package, then order another camera from Amazon so you have two. That way if your first camera goes kaput (which... it should have a warranty...), then you have one more that matches the housing.

*Merlin*
10-19-2008, 05:01
I ordered my new Nikon kit from ST this morning. Is the big brown truck here yet?

namabiru
10-19-2008, 09:26
Congrats Merlin!! Do let us know how the camera works out when you have a minute, please.

*Merlin*
10-19-2008, 14:24
I went and bought a back-up Nikon L18. Seems all the stores in my area have them marked @ $119 today. I like the camera much beter than the Nikon Coolpix 885 and 4300 that I have used in the past.

BTW I put the 4300 and the Ikelite housing on craigslist this morning and got an email from "Ben Mikky" who wanted to send me a certified check for the unit that I would cash and then hold the merchandise until his mover came and picked it up..........
I may have been born yesterday, but I was up all night!

namabiru
10-21-2008, 01:43
I, too, will soon be the proud (inshallah) owner of a Nikon Coolpix L18 with Ikelite housing. :smiley20:. When it arrives in 2 weeks or so inshallah I will get myself to the beach and post a nice juicy review. Dive 1 a housing leakage test... Dive 2 a camera plus housing test!

I didn't purchase any external resources since I figured I had enough to get on for now with just learning to use the camera itself-- strobe, lens, etc.

*Merlin*
10-22-2008, 18:33
I got the box from ST tonight. I had a small problem but Joe stepped up to the plate and hit a home run!! Thanks Joe!
I like the new Ikelite case. It is a lot smaller than the case for my coolpix 4300. I am going to my LDS and find a heavy duty retractor to tether the case to my BCD. Can't wait to go swimming now. Off to Pelham keys Nov. 12th. I hope to post some pictures from that trip with a review of the L18 package.

namabiru
10-22-2008, 22:51
Cool! Yeah, I will post some pics as well, when mine arrives. It will get to New York today, and then one never knows... it depends on how long Aramex sits on the box, and how long customs sits on the box, and then Aramex sits on the box again.... so it goes.

chicken
12-04-2008, 20:00
Any underwater pics yet? I am looking for my first U/W camera and I was ready to buy the Nikon from ST when I saw the Intova 6mp with housing for $137 on Amazon. Now I can't decide. I like the Nikon with Ikelite housing and know it will be high quality, I don't know anything about Intova.

chicken
12-07-2008, 18:38
Never mind, ST dropped the Nikon package.

CoralKisser
01-16-2009, 09:22
I know this might be a stretch, but does anyone know of a store or online store in Canada that carries the Fantasea FL-18 housing?

http://www.photographyblog.com/images/products/fantasea_line_fl_18_1.jpg