PDA

View Full Version : Reverse finning

RonC
10-11-2008, 23:58
I just can not seem to get it down. Would like some techniques for "backing up" Thanks, Ron

CompuDude
10-12-2008, 00:42
A good instructor will be your best bet, or perhaps a buddy who already has that skill. It's not easy to type out instructions on how to do it.

There is a good video on the back kick here:

YouTube - The Back Kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgEkBn35TAE)

Also on the Unified Team Diving (5thD-X) Essentials of Recreational Diving DVD (https://www.createspace.com/Store/ShowEStore.jsp?id=209738)

texdiveguy
10-12-2008, 07:00
It is some what like a frog kick in slight reverse....hard to put in words. Ref. the above videos....practice. When you first start to master it you will tend to want to swim upward as you are catching on.....it does take some muscle memory.....wait till you have to do it at length with 3 slung tanks--lol. Good luck have fun.

ReefHound
10-12-2008, 07:55
Try doing it very slowly at first. Don't expect to be cruising backwards easily. Also, what kind of fins are you using?

fire diver
10-12-2008, 12:37
It took a whole season of me just trying it on my own to learn how. I definately recommend an instructor if you want to learn the right way. It's not that it's actually hard to do, it's just a wierd movement that isn't natural to our brains and muscles. It's pretty cool to be able to swim up to something, look at it, then swim straight back away. Good luck!

RonC
10-12-2008, 15:15
Thanks for the help guys. Seeing it done on the video will make it easier to practice correctly. I am using some old Jet fins now , but would like an excuse to get a new pair if a different brand would work better.

CompuDude
10-12-2008, 15:32
Thanks for the help guys. Seeing it done on the video will make it easier to practice correctly. I am using some old Jet fins now , but would like an excuse to get a new pair if a different brand would work better.

Classic ScubaPro Jet fins are perfect. You'll notice that's what they're using in the videos. (well, knock-offs of Jet fins, anyway, in the YouTube video)

ReefHound
10-12-2008, 15:37
Jets are great, I was worried you might be trying it with splits.

SynCitizen
10-13-2008, 00:12
Thanks Compudude for the vid link. I dont think I coulda visualized that correctly.