PDA

View Full Version : What advice would you give to..

Xspect
08-15-2007, 20:35
What advice would you give to brand new divers ?

namabiru
08-15-2007, 21:28
If you get certified while on vacation, and you have time, try to dive a few more times past your checkout dives. Things will start sticking a lot better if you continue on.

NitroWill
08-15-2007, 21:28
Pay attention, focus, think, relax, have fun!

namabiru
08-15-2007, 21:42
Also, I suppose, the old mantra that a good diver never stops learning. Whether you're reading a book about diving, reading discussion threads and listening to what others have to say, talking to your dive buddy or to others on a trip, or taking another course, you're still learning. Even getting the Adventures in Diving (PADI AOW) book and reading sections where you're not going to do your AOW adventure dives is good for you. Just the other day I had the book out and was reading up on altitude diving.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-15-2007, 22:06
Relax but stay alert to your surroundings and look after your gear.

FishFood
08-15-2007, 22:12
Stay off the bottom. Look behind you every now and then to make sure your not kicking up the bottom. Youd be surprised how far away you can be, but still affect loose sediment.

Long, slow breaths. Not quick short ones like you do above water.

Thats just a couple things new divers tend to not do.

Centerius
08-15-2007, 22:16
Work on buoyancy... it makes a world of difference.

RECDiver
08-16-2007, 07:41
Keep diving. Sitting in a chair watching Discovery channel isn't going to work. you need to go diving. Join a dive club or check with your local LDS as to local dives they offer. You can also meet more dive buddies that way.
This is in addition to what the others have said. Have fun!

TAH 73
08-16-2007, 08:04
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=621

A post I started a while ago, has some good content around the same lines that you are asking about. Cummings66 makes some good points in the thread.

94GTStang
08-16-2007, 08:08
Keep diving and let your diving progress by taking more diving classes

thor
08-16-2007, 08:24
Practice makes perfect. There used to be a small book that came with your subsription to Scubadiving Magazine called "Dive like a Pro." Its a great review, sort of like a condensed version of all of the PADI books, with some more realistic advice in some parts. I usually browse over it on the plane to my dive destination. Good to have a mental plan before you dive

Also win the lottery so you can afford this lifestyle

BSea
08-16-2007, 08:25
My advise would be the same as the submarine captain whose boat is under attack. DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!:smiley20:

unclepooty
08-16-2007, 08:44
Keep diving any way you can. Don't let the excitement cool. Friends make it even more fun.

torrey
08-16-2007, 08:56

Right, don't hold your breath. No really, don't hold your breath.

JCAT
08-16-2007, 09:07
Also, I suppose, the old mantra that a good diver never stops learning. Whether you're reading a book about diving, reading discussion threads and listening to what others have to say, talking to your dive buddy or to others on a trip, or taking another course, you're still learning.

Everyone has something to teach, good or bad. Observe every diver you come in contact with. Analyze everything you see!

Study every aspect of diving and then study more. Read everything you can get your hands on.

When your diving, no matter how many dives you have, practice a skill or two at the end of the dive, until it requires zero thought.

I'll echo what namabiru said, a good diver never, never, ever stops learning!

WV Diver
08-16-2007, 09:14
Dive often and continue with your diving education by progressing through the ranks and working your way through to Rescue, Master Diver, Divemaster, Instructor or where ever you feel comfortable with, it will enhance your enjoyment of the sport.

However, I do believe that the general diving population try to do these things as fast as they can, or at least as fast as they can afford it, and that's ok. But I also believe that if you wait to get some real experience before moving on to the next level you will enjoy the classes better and get more enjoyment from them.

Practice and become proficient with the skills you learn in a class before moving on to the next class and it will all fit together better and it will make you a better diver.

Just my 2 cents worth but I see a lot of students killing themselves to make a certain level and burning themselves out and at the same time forgetting the basics they were taught a long the way. Suddenly the relaxing sport of diving is stressing them out.

I guess what I'm saying is smell the roses. It's a journey not a destination.

torrey
08-16-2007, 14:22
However, I do believe that the general diving population try to do these things as fast as they can, or at least as fast as they can afford it, and that's ok. But I also believe that if you wait to get some real experience before moving on to the next level you will enjoy the classes better and get more enjoyment from them.

I agree with this. I originally started working on my advanced certification right after open water, but had to drop it due to a job change. It was 2 years later before I finally finished it, and I'm glad I waited because I learned a lot being involved with a scuba club beforehand. Even now, I plan to eventually take the rescue course and I know when I do, I'll have more appreciation and a higher aptitude for learning just from being involved with this forum and Scubaboard.

cummings66
08-16-2007, 14:42
I believe the two top skills every diver needs to MASTER are buoyancy and trim. Trim is a skill due to the fact that you should be able to change it at will under water without moving weights around if you've got it right.

Beyond that the previous thread has a bunch of good stuff in it.

tedtim
08-16-2007, 15:41
If you have to take a break from diving (say because you live in a place where the water turns to ice in winter) then do some refresher work in the pool before you head out on the warm water vacation. You will be glad you did and the coral will thank you for staying off of them.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-16-2007, 17:28
There are two critical rules to remember.....

1. Never hold your breath!:smiley37:

2. Always tell your buddy when they have snot hanging from their nose!:smilie39:

Buoyant1
08-16-2007, 20:35
Listen, Learn, DIVE, read, listen some more, learn some more, DIVE!

Test out different kinds of equipment before purchasing

DIVE DIVE DIVE!

Dive with good divers, and watch them! Ask questions!

Dive!

(did I say dive?)

cummings66
08-16-2007, 23:04
If you have to take a break from diving (say because you live in a place where the water turns to ice in winter)

If a person quits diving due to ice they're really missing out on some of the best diving there is. I dive year round unless the 4x4 can't get there, then I stay home.

Dash Riprock
08-17-2007, 00:26
Read the Accidents and Incidents Forums here and at Scubaboard.

You will learn more in one place about how to stay safe, and what you should be practicing, and what not to do, than anywhere else.

It will teach you that you must practice things in order not to injure yourself stupidly.

Phestr
08-17-2007, 01:58
Be safe, relax, and continue your education. And by all means, dive as often as possible at the beginning. Nothing builds experience like experience.

divingbuddy
08-17-2007, 12:30
As many others have echoed...

Dive as much as you can!

As an OW diver, you have been given a licence to learn how to dive (in much the same manner as a new driver's licence allows you to gain the experiences to be a proficient and safer driver).

Use what you have learned to dive regularly. Join a dive club, contact other local divers through discussion boards, find a regular buddy and just dive. That is the only way to become a better diver. No amount of 'internet diving' will make up for the real thing. :smiley2:

I often spend dives just practicing skills! Need practice working on buoyancy? Set up an obstacle course with hula hoops. Use your depth gauge/computer to practice maintaining a certain depth (without using your hands or fins). Don't task overload - just keeping working on the things that you need improving.

Now...go diving!

Just my two cents...Cheers!

plot
08-18-2007, 10:21
never stop breathing ;)

tj gold
08-19-2007, 11:23
Relax, take it SLOW. Remember try not to panic. If you are breathing you are alive and enjoy .

namabiru
08-19-2007, 12:15
Everyone has something to teach, good or bad. Observe every diver you come in contact with. Analyze everything you see!

Study every aspect of diving and then study more. Read everything you can get your hands on.

Yep, I've often said the same thing.

Also, if you're stuck on an exceptionally long surface interval (life happens, as I found, when I started grad. school), there's nothing wrong with what I call armchair diving. If you are reading a diving magazine, or a diving book, you are still at least trying to develop knowledge. If you don't know what to buy, go over to, I think, Surface Interval. There is a thread started by chinacat, who has a ridiculously good diving library.

Or ask on the board for recommendations based on what you want to learn.

shotthebreeze
08-19-2007, 13:53

Relax and remember the basics. Bouyancy, trimming and all of that comes with time. Right now just focus on watching that SPG and your breathing...

cutter77
09-03-2007, 02:46
Challenge and stretch yourself in your diving....but don't ever hesitate to call a dive you're not up to.

downunder
09-03-2007, 07:49
Party like a rock star, drink lots of beer... OH WAIT... wrong forum... sorry!

plot
09-03-2007, 08:12
Party like a rock star, drink lots of beer... OH WAIT... wrong forum... sorry!

gotta keep those carbs up for diving right?

scubasamurai
09-03-2007, 08:56
most importantly, after getting your breathing down, enjoy yourself. i was one of those that went throught the ranks quickly, my feeling is they are teaching you and you also get to dive so why not learn something new. but now i am enjoying myself and watching what others do. and been finding out lots of people do not dive as much as i do so....

make sure you know your buddy's skill level and dive history, you might be the more experinced diver and not even know it

Hollywood703
09-03-2007, 12:56
continue with education.....you will learn new stuff every time....even if it is refresher.

plot
09-03-2007, 13:13
wear sunscreen

Capt Hook
09-03-2007, 13:24
Work on bouncy control and breathing.
Dive, dive, dive.