PDA

View Full Version : Crazy ass conditions - what the heck are we thinking?

tomich
10-13-2008, 16:14
How many of you live somewhere where you can't see anything at 45 feet without a lamp, and even then, can't see your hand at arm's length?

I teach in these crazy conditions, and often go arm-in-arm with the students!

Yellow fins help too!

What do you do?

TRACI
10-13-2008, 16:20
I have had to do all my open waters in that kind of conditions. I think AOW was the worse. We did have to lock arms with our buddy's and instructors during the deep dives. Even at 30 ft at Lake Ouachita, Ark , we have been usings lights, and still can't see much. All my gear is yellow, it really helps on low viz dives.

It really makes you appreciate oceans dives :)

CompuDude
10-13-2008, 16:41
I have had to do all my open waters in that kind of conditions. I think AOW was the worse. We did have to lock arms with our buddy's and instructors during the deep dives. Even at 30 ft at Lake Ouachita, Ark , we have been usings lights, and still can't see much. All my gear is yellow, it really helps on low viz dives.

It really makes you appreciate oceans dives :)

Not all oceans are created equal... most shores dives I do locally, 25' vis is something to brag about to your buddies. 10' is more normal, sometimes a little more, frequently a good bit less. We call those "normal" conditions. Crazy conditions are the ones where you can't always see your gauges even if you press them to the glass on your mask. That's time to get out! I've had some dives where I saw some great stuff in under 5' of vis, though, so it doesn't REQUIRE perfect conditions to have a great dive.

You learn to stick a lot closer to your buddy than is necessary in crystal clear Caribbean waters, that's for sure!

Big lights can help a lot, but in 7-8' vis, even a 21' HID is not going to help you locate a buddy who has wandered 20'+ away, until you get closer, via luck or dead reckoning.

bottomdweller
10-14-2008, 15:11
I have a nine foot rope with a loop on each end.
Always know my buddy is at the end of that rope, even if I can't see him.

fire diver
10-14-2008, 16:27
I call those diving conditions "home". You never what you're going to find condition wise. I might have 20-30 ft of vis, or 2-3 ft. It might open up under the thermal or it might get worse. Unfortunately, a buddy rope wouldnt work well for me. Too many trees and such to snag on.

Funny, several years ago I dove Ouchita and had close to 40 foot of vis. I guess it all depends on location, weather, time of year, and the scuba gods.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 07:33
I am a fan of using a buddy line, my buddy and I found that we were having to surface too much due to seperation and that was the solution.

CompuDude
10-17-2008, 11:46
I am a fan of using a buddy line, my buddy and I found that we were having to surface too much due to seperation and that was the solution.

I loathe buddy lines.

Sometimes there's no alternative, but those generally aren't what I consider FUN dives. If conditions are bad enough to warrant a buddy line, I'll generally think twice before diving.

Of course, I'm comfortable down to 3' vis without a buddy line, so less than 3' vis and your dive is going to be marginal anyway.

jwdizney
10-17-2008, 19:30
I guess that's the addiction of diving!... It's all we've got here in Oklahoma, and 10' vis is like "you can see forever"! I don't deal as well with the low vis as many divers in this area do, but, it's still building experience....and blowing bubbles!

divergirl
11-27-2008, 18:18
Hah seems like very common summer conditions up here- in the ocean.

I'm so glad it's winter season and the vis is clearing up to 40+ feet.. amazing.

Dark Wolf
11-27-2008, 19:10
LOL! Sounds like some of the stuff that I have been in!! Good times!!

DW

sea princess
11-27-2008, 19:26
Here at the lake sometimes vis is about a hands length in front of you. I have white fins and my friends painted cool markings on the bottoms of their black fins which really helps with vis. we also stay alot closer together and sometimes when it is really bad in a trench area with hold hands until it gets a little better. we also use glow sticks on our tanks. But mainly we just don't venture away from our buddies. We are almost as close as velco!

scubastud
11-28-2008, 06:10
Well, I am landlocked, and dive the local lake here mostly to hone skills, gain experience, test new gear and such in preperation for vacations.

Not saying I don't have fun, and I have learned a lot of stuff that would maybe cause issues (like bring extra little things on dive like oh say... AN EXTRA MASK STRAP!)
I have my equipment "tweaked" pretty good... I wear my computer on right wrist now, have clips and things just right, learned that I don't care for intergrated weight BC, that sort of stuff. This will save time on next vacation, and those dives will be more enjoyable.
Have made some good relationships diving locally. I must say, divers for the most part are good people! Sure, there are some braggarts and "big shots" but compared to other things I have done and do...fly-fishing, whitewater canoeing, hunt clubs, the ratio between these morons and just good people that share a passion seem... well... less.

Navy OnStar
11-28-2008, 08:22
As a Public Safety Diver...that's pretty much what you dive in! except it doesn't take 45ft to get to 0 vis. I've been at 12 feet and couldn't see the guages pressed against my mask.

plot
11-28-2008, 19:17
LOL! Sounds like some of the stuff that I have been in!! Good times!!

DW

sounds like what we were in today
:smiley36:

add 48 degree water and you've got yourself a cluster of a dive!

Dark Wolf
11-29-2008, 10:28
Yeah, but we got a nearly new boat anchor out of the deal!!! Was good to finally meet and dive with you, plot.

DW

cummings66
11-29-2008, 15:07
Those conditions don't sound all that bad to me, fairly normal for the most part.

To those that use buddy lines, be very careful as it's a good way to get into bigger trouble than you could imagine. In the lakes I dive there's no way on Earth I'd use a buddy line. Knowing my luck I'd end up tied to a tree at 100 feet and drown before I could see what I was stuck on.

They scare me, and not much does.

imasinker
11-30-2008, 08:05
This time of year and a few during the summer months I have experienced very poor viz ( black outs) during dives. I use a canister light and keep a back up always. My dive buddy and I are pretty disciplined in keeping within arms lenght of eachother at all times. We check on eachother every few seconds and if one wants to stop he signals the other and we both stop. The worse the viz gets the closer we dive together. You never know when you might need your buddy for an ooa situation or other. We usually swim one above the other still within arms lenght. This for us is easier to see eachothers light and helps to keep banging into eachother especially in a current. We dive the great lakes and some smaller lakes in our area so it's a gamble at times on the viz we end up with. One minute your viz can be 10 to 40 feet next you can't see your arm. Thats why we all us good lights and stick together. I have never dove an area with crystal clear water ever other than a pool. My open water check out dive everyone hit the bottom and wham we were in total blackout. I think it is a good way to start out your dive training because if you can maintain calmness and control during those types of situations it in the long run will help you become a better safe diver. Not only for you, but for your dive buddy as well. We have to make do with what we get. This is why we are called hard core divers I guess...lol..

Buddy lines...to me a big disaster waiting to happen...i would never use one..