PDA

View Full Version : Reg service reminder

dannybot
10-13-2008, 16:23
If we buy and or service or gear at ST, how about sending an annual reminder to get it serviced? It would help us, and maybe even increase your business.

I have been happy with the service I have received thus far, but as I get on in the years, I forget when to do things, like put out the trash, change the oil in my car, change the airfilters in my house, water filter in my icemaker, renew my drivers' license, professional license, change my underwear..... Does it ever stop???

WaScubaDude
10-13-2008, 16:36
Great Idea! Hope they do it.

Largo
10-14-2008, 17:19
Does a regulator really need to be serviced every year?

How about once every 100 dives?

Flame on!

ScubaToys Larry
10-14-2008, 17:24
Does a regulator really need to be serviced every year?

How about once every 100 dives?

Flame on!

That's really the ago old question. Let's look at a few things - the main part that goes on a 1st or second stage is the seat. The seat is under virtually no pressure when it's aired up. It's being cut with 145 psi of pressure from the poppett when it's sitting in your closet...

Rubber parts have a tendency of degrading - even if not under use. If you have driven your car for the last year, some every day, and had a trip across the country - you'd probably hop in and go.

If that car had sat in your drive way for the entire year, and never started until the day you were about to leave - how do you think your belts, tires, hoses and fluids would be??

So I know - a reg is not a car - but there probably are a few parallels - and it's what most the manufacturers require for free parts - but it is a personal choice on if they want to do it...

And we'll get Ricky working on an automatic email reminder 11 months after your last service or purchase. If you want to get it rebuilt - cool. If not - delete the email!

Largo
10-14-2008, 17:48
Not to get anyone in trouble... but... several years ago, I called ST for instructions on sending in a reg for service. The person I talked to (I forget his name), asked me several questions about the number of dives I'd done, and how I'd maintained and stored my reg set. After the conversation, he said, "Why not take the $35, and buy a dive light or something you want, and send the reg in for service next year?"

And that is why I continue to buy from ST.

dannybot
10-14-2008, 17:52
Thanks for your help Larry.

Danny

ScubaToys Larry
10-14-2008, 18:33
Not to get anyone in trouble... but... several years ago, I called ST for instructions on sending in a reg for service. The person I talked to (I forget his name), asked me several questions about the number of dives I'd done, and how I'd maintained and stored my reg set. After the conversation, he said, "Why not take the $35, and buy a dive light or something you want, and send the reg in for service next year?"

And that is why I continue to buy from ST.

Sounds like it was me! :smiley9: A lot depends on the reg as well. Some designs, like the mares spherical seats, the zeagles, etc, and much better as far as not cutting up the seats when they sit for long periods of time.

And, are you good at making sure no water gets in it, the filter looks clean, etc. Some regs like the Oceanic DVT only require an "inspection" each year, and a rebuild every other... This is why the program is going to take a little bit for us to build. We have to build in the manufacturer requirements for each particular unit, then have it auto generate the emails based on the different circumstances.

Largo
10-14-2008, 18:40
Totally.

Until recently, I was very anal about maintenance.

I've had my Zeagle reg set for about 5 years, and up until this year, I've been very careful with it.

This year, not so much. Time for a thorough inspection.