PDA

View Full Version : Laser sight for Spearfishing?

KingBiscuitBoy
10-13-2008, 20:51
Hello,
Does anyone have experience with an underwater laser sight for spearfishing. I just began spearfishing a couple of weeks ago and recently shot into a cave and broke my shaft. I need a greater advantage than just holding a flashlight in one hand and the gun in the other gives me. If not a laser what about a regular light sight. Any DIY suggestions would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

oddbod
10-14-2008, 05:04
Now a laser sight would not be very sporting of you would it, give the fish a fair go!:smiley36:

maddhadder
10-14-2008, 06:18
If the sharks can have frickin' laser beams on their heads, it's only fair we have some too!

cmburch
10-14-2008, 06:27
I have a UK mini Q40 eLED plus attached to my gun. I use replaceable spearpoints since my main fishing is groundfish up against rocks and use less power when against rocks. I have never seen a laser sight for a speargun, but it would be easy to do just like a flashlight.

monant
10-14-2008, 06:31
I think it's a great idea. Try it and let us know how it goes.

KingBiscuitBoy
10-14-2008, 06:51
You've never seen me fish. The fish have a more than fair chance. I've read that lasers will not work well underwater because the particulate suspended in the water reflects the light. The regular flashlight idea sounds good. How do you attach the light to the gun?

cmburch
10-14-2008, 07:00
I use the silicon mask adapter and a Velcro strap.

Ray Odor has pictures of other ways using plastic clips and SS clips.

Spearfishing Supplies by Ray Odor (http://www.spearfishing.cc/)

Defman
10-14-2008, 07:04
I was watching the Giant Squid episode of Monsterquest where they attached a couple of lasers to a Humbolt squid to see if they could measure anything it came in contact with.... much to their surprise & dismay, nothing would come near the squid when the lasers were turned on...

So it's possible a laser site will scare away anything you're trying to hunt, and as someone else said.. I don't think it's very sporting..

cmburch
10-14-2008, 08:14
The States define what is Recreational Sport Fishing in their fishing regulations. Legal recreational spearfishing for food is sport fishing. States are specific in the definition of Sport Fishing. Some think that it should only be done without SCUBA or the fish should only be caught with hands. Some H&L fisherman think that spearfishing is not sporting. Some think that catch&release is sporting. There are no written rules against sights for spearfishing or hunting in general. It is better and more sporting to retain the fish. Missing and injuring or killing the fish is a waste though something will probably eat it. As with many sports there are rules and regulations. If it is legal by the State then it is sporting.

A spearfisherman knows that missing may mean hitting and losing not retaining the fish. While a novice may think the spear does not hit the fish.

ScubaDude
10-16-2008, 21:50
I strongly suggest NOT mounting a light to your speargun, and here's why.

When a fish gets hit with the beam of light it tends to "head for the hills", leaving you empty handed or making a meat-damaging shot due to the fact that you didn't get a good broadside, gill plate shot. Sure, if it's much larger than the minimum size requirement you can make a quick shot. But, a borderline sized fish requires you a little more time to make a decision. Please note, the larger fish will be a smarter fish, giving you even less of a chance.

By using a handheld light, you have the ability to look in all the little nooks and crannies FIRST, without having to be lined up for a shot that you probably won't even get. As you angle the light-attached gun into a hole, the fish already has the upper hand.

Once you spot a "shooter", IMMEDIATELY point the light away, inhale (or exhale, depending on the buoyancy needed) to dispurse your bubbles and sound, aim in the general direction, hit the highbeams, trim out your shot and fire.

I know it sounds a little complicated, but it really works.

Another reason may simply be speargun buoyancy. A light, which obviously holds the batteries, makes your gun negatively buoyant. (in most cases)

If you prefer your gun to float above you while you're stringing or bagging a fish, this might be a bad option, as well.

Another reason, which I should have mentioned first, is safety. Think about it, everywhere you shine the light you're pointing a locked and loaded speargun. If you see another diver, you're aiming right at them.

I've tried both, and a handheld light is the safest, most productive way to go.

KingBiscuitBoy, you broke your shaft by hitting the inner wall of the cave. We all lose tips and shafts, it just the nature of the beast. Carry some extra tips and a pair of channel locks, I do. And have an extra shaft available.

Hope this helps.

KingBiscuitBoy
10-17-2008, 12:46
Hey Everyone thanks for the replies. I am going to give up on the idea of the laser sight and take the advice given here to become a better shooter.

Thanks.

Deep VI
10-24-2008, 22:49
Check out this site for the gun mounted light. http://www.mobilescuba.com/Quiver.htm