PDA

View Full Version : Scammers

BarbadosSlim93
10-15-2008, 14:46
Oh my gosh, I am sorry but I just need to rant about this problem I am having at work. I work for a Michigan based ISP. We work with people to get high speed DSL in many places that the bigger companies (ATT, Verizon) can not. Well a couple of years ago we had a customer who got far behind on payments, made no attempt to pay, and had his service shut off.

This guy calls in from time to time trying to order service under different aliases and actually wants my company to give him a job! :smilie39: He always identifies himself as "the guy that is supposed to be working for us". While completely ridiculous in its own right, this is not the main point but comes into play further along in my story.

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from a lady who was ordering internet for her father. She says he is elderly and has a hard time doing some things like ordering and maintaining his bills so she is doing it for him. I even "hear" him in the background and do my best to verify that he is a real person. This lady ends up ordering service and everything is installed. Bingo bango, everything is running smoothly until...

I get a call yesterday from the "guy who is supposed to be working for us". He says that his internet was supposed to be upgraded to a higher speed but wasn't active yet. I ask for the name on the account and he gives me his "father in law's" name as the account. This triggered suspicion to me as I knew a bit of his back story.

Upon doing some research I come to find out that his wife ordered internet service in the name of her father in law, who had no idea they were ordering the service, and does not actually live at the address service is being used at. We found this information out by calling the county office and verifying who was at the address in question as well as in subsequent conversations with this guy and his wife. I then proceeded to get his service turned off. The calls started shortly thereafter.

I was receiving calls twice an hour questioning why their service was off, stating that they would pay the money they owed us, basically giving me any excuse under the sun as to why they should be getting service (and at a faster speed in fact!). The guy on the phone even threatened to sue me for turning off his account!

I am sorry for the long rant here, but it is just SO frustrating to have to deal with people who do this. I understand a lot of people are going through hard times, and we even work with people to pay what they can when they can; but this guy has never made any attempt to even pay a dime on his account. Throwing in identity theft just makes me more upset about it. RAWR!

CWSWine
10-15-2008, 14:51
I Spent from 1995 to 2002 as the sole owner of ISP and that was a common and I was sued several times and each time it was thrown out court.

RnSdiver
10-17-2008, 11:06
Well with the ID theft in the mix, the jerk is lucky to not be headed to jail

BarbadosSlim93
10-17-2008, 21:22
Well with the ID theft in the mix, the jerk is lucky to not be headed to jail

What is best is that he threatened to sue my company for turning off his service! I absolutely could not believe that! I think I was speechless on the phone when he said that (a rare feat, just ask my wife).

We are currently investigating to see what we can do in regards to legal representation in this case. Apparently the State of Michigan is really cracking down on identity theft.

James1010
11-16-2008, 13:48
That sounds like a very interesting and funny issue. It is to funny how some people in the world will do things. Truly amazing ha ha.

BarbadosSlim93
11-22-2008, 13:02
That sounds like a very interesting and funny issue. It is to funny how some people in the world will do things. Truly amazing ha ha.

What is even better is the guy who wasn't paying his bill, so we shut off his service and he complained to the BBB. When asked for his ways to resolve the problem, his responses were:

1) Turn his service back on.
2) Cancel his previous invoices.
3) Credit him the money he owed
4) Place criminal charges of fraud on the sales/marketing guy (me)

John Yaskowich
11-22-2008, 15:49
You might want to write this up for posting to Not Always Right (as in "The Customer is not always right") Not Always Right | Funny & Stupid Customer Quotes (http://notalwaysright.com/)

Some great stories of scammers and just plain dumb customers, told from the perspective of the sales person. I have spent many an hour reading through the archives, laughing at people or just shaking my head at their attitude of "I'm entitled to this because I'm me".

waytooslow
11-22-2008, 16:32
if he can't afford to pay his bills - I doubt he could afford a lawyer. Personally I would pressure him through collection agencies for any monies owed. If he using multiple ids I would involve the police, there is a huge push to take on id thefts. I was never a member of the BBB, so not sure how there work, but I would think by not paying your bills - you no leg to stand on.

BarbadosSlim93
11-22-2008, 19:34
if he can't afford to pay his bills - I doubt he could afford a lawyer. Personally I would pressure him through collection agencies for any monies owed. If he using multiple ids I would involve the police, there is a huge push to take on id thefts. I was never a member of the BBB, so not sure how there work, but I would think by not paying your bills - you no leg to stand on.

We have actually researched how to take them to small claims court and are taking several people across the state of Michigan there. It is sad, because all of this ruckus is making us shift focus away from residential service because we have to have such a low price to be competitive with the big guys which kills our profits and then when someone doesn't pay their bills, we still have to...:smiley11: