PDA

View Full Version : Canon S30 or newer model?

rumblefish
10-15-2008, 16:38
I currently have a Canon S30 and the waterproof case. I've used the camera for about 50 dives and have gotten ok results out of it. I attribute this more to my own lack of skill rather than the camera. Anyway, a while back, I dropped the camera and screwed up the lens assembly. Now, I get the dreaded E9 error at the most inopportune times. Now, I was thinking about picking up a relatively cheap replacement on ebay, but was wondering if it might be better to get a newer, different camera and case. Any opinions, suggestions would be appreciated.

RoyN
10-15-2008, 21:17
I would get the S50 camera instead of the S30. It will fit in the same housing you have.

rumblefish
10-17-2008, 09:16
Well, if I stay with the S series, I was thinking about getting a S45 or S50. I was just wondering if it were worth it to go with a newer camera in the SD or A series. Or if someone has a better suggestion regarding a different manufacturer, that would also be appreciated.

turnpikemike
10-17-2008, 09:47
I love my SD850, and I'm finally getting to be pretty decent with it. I don't know much about the S line, though. You could check some of my pictures out at picasaweb (http://picasaweb.google.com/turnpikemike) (more scuba/snorkeling) or flickr (http://www.flickr.com/snackmachine) (more above-water ones, but some newer scuba ones).

CompuDude
10-17-2008, 11:49
Well, if I stay with the S series, I was thinking about getting a S45 or S50. I was just wondering if it were worth it to go with a newer camera in the SD or A series. Or if someone has a better suggestion regarding a different manufacturer, that would also be appreciated.

If you can pick up the replacement camera for less than $100, I'd say go for it. Else perhaps consider a whole new rig, but the price tag will be a lot higher, since you'll pay over $100 for just the new housing alone, and then you still need a camera.

Canons are great. No need to change vendors, they're one of the best.

Do you shoot in manual mode, or use RAW format? That's going to affect your camera selection if you decide to look at a whole new rig.