PDA

View Full Version : Husband taking "Discover Scuba" this weekend!

Disneymom
08-15-2007, 21:50
My husband and I are polar opposites when it comes to water. I can't stay out of it, and he's phobic. It took three years of living with a pool before he would "hang out" in the deep end, 5 years before I got him talked into taking his first cruise, and he will NOT get into a lake.
I respect his fear, and have never pushed nor cajoled him into getting into a situation that was uncomfortable for him. Unfortunately for me, this left me without a "handy" buddy. I have a girlfriend who is getting cert'd, but not until after the first of the year, and darling daughter is not interested.

We've been working on his snorkeling in the pool, and he's improved by leaps and bounds! He swam 200 yards yesterday, and he treaded in the deep end for 15 minutes, and he's freediving to the bottom of the deep end. He's been motivated since he watched me finish my OW dives, and has been hearing about how awesome diving is. I got him a 'discover snorkeling' lesson for his birthday, but now he's decided he's beyond that (he is, I concur), and wants to upgrade the lesson to "Discover Scuba". He's been grilling me about what to expect, and I've been able to go over a number of the things we did in OW (that he won't necessarily have to do in Discover), but it's good for me to go over it again and help him out. He's scheduled to do this on Sunday!!!

He's been a sweetie and supporting me in my endeavor, not only getting equipment for me, but snorkeling equip and wetsuits for himself and our daughter as well. Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll be able to call him my buddy - we'll see how this class goes Sunday!

dmdoss
08-15-2007, 22:14
Hope he gets hooked to diving.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-15-2007, 22:28
thats great that his getting into it with you.

94GTStang
08-15-2007, 22:39
Let us know how it goes! There's nothing to be afraid of! The only creature in the water I'm afraid of are the two legged ones.

Coaster
08-15-2007, 22:42
He is amazing! :smiley20: Best wishes for all of you.

Foo2
08-15-2007, 23:32
That's great news Disney Mom! I hope that he loves it! Please let us know on Monday how it went!

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 06:49
keep up the good work, make sure you tell him about the UW football games going on between the Dolphins and the Seahawks :smiley20:.

TxScubaBear
08-16-2007, 06:52
That's awesome.....been slowly working with my better half...have to get over her fear of water as well.....told her she ought to at least try snorkeling with a vest and then go from there as her comfort level rises.

creggur
08-16-2007, 06:54
Nothing better than overcoming irrational fears and finding a whole new area of life to explore...Congrats to him, I hope his discover trip goes well....

Phestr
08-16-2007, 08:41
Conrats to you both. Overcoming a fear like cannot be easy, and it sounds like you provided just the support he needed. I wish I could figure out how to get my wife through the same thing...

thor
08-16-2007, 09:07
Great news. My wife and I got certified together, however she has tailed off a little on the diving. Darn raising kids. Where are her priorities? Make sure once he starts diving, that he never stops, ....and don't let him get pregnant.

Harshal
08-16-2007, 09:15
Sounds cool...... keep us posted how his discover scuba goes.

WV Diver
08-16-2007, 09:53
I promised my wife a tropical vacation to certifiy. She never had problems with the water really but it took me several years to coax her into it. Something about too many expensive hobbies in our family or something like that. But the promise of a tropical vacation pushed her over the edge. She is becoming a really good diver.

Hope things work out with your husband, sounds as though he has overcome some really big issues. He's a brave guy to conquer his fears. I am still working on, and getting better at, conquering my fear of heights.

Disneymom
08-16-2007, 10:29
Thanks, everybody!

He's actually excited. I think he'll be fine. Of course, he'll be in a pool, but he's saying now that he thinks he's overcoming his fears, and could do an ocean dive, just not really deep. (I think he means about half as deep as the 60' rec limit.) We're in the process of booking our fall weekend trip, and he's talking about doing the manatee snorkel I'm doing, and even the AquaSeas tour at Epcot (the snorkeling tour - not the dive). Those are HUGE steps for him.

Thor - we're lucky, the child is a sr. in high school - once the kiddo is off to college next year, we can start booking dive trips. He does love Caribbean destinations and cruising, and he knows I want to go to Bonaire.

Scubabear and Phestr - our trick was baby steps - just take it slow, spend a little time doing laps and in the deep end every night and it comes around. It does help that we have a pool. When he really took off is when he started using gear.
He is already upgrading to Tusa Expert Zooms from a pair of used Tusa Imprexes! brat.

Deepdiver - I'm working on the football thing....

thesmoothdome
08-16-2007, 10:36
Good luck DM. I wasn't a big fan of the water until I started diving, so there's hope out there! He'll have a blast once he realizes he can BREATHE underwater...man, what a rush that is!

dallasdivergirl
08-16-2007, 10:59
I am so excited for you!

That is great news. Hopefully soon he will be like the rest of us with scuba-itus.

ParrotHead
08-16-2007, 11:11
I did several resort courses before I finally signed up for my OW. The one in Hawaii was the one that did me in!

Good luck to Mr. DM and let us know how it goes.

Disneymom
08-16-2007, 11:18
Good luck to Mr. DM and let us know how it goes. Would he be Mr. Mom or Disneydad?? :smiley36:

I will let ya'll know how it goes...

mwhities
08-16-2007, 11:54
Good job DM!

Tell`em if a one-armed guy can do it, he can too. :)

Michael

Vercingetorix
08-16-2007, 12:38
Just out of curiosity, has he tried using your gear in the shallow end of the pool? That is, breathing through your reg while his face is about 6 to 12 inches below surface? He obviously shouldn't swim around or any deeper, due to AGE concerns without training. I assume, he's tried your reg while standing in dry land.

ertechsg
08-16-2007, 12:47
Nice going DM for not pushing him. I have to admit I did push my wife into it but now I can't keep her out of the water. And you do know half of you dive gear money now is going to him.:smiley36:

cgvmer
08-16-2007, 14:32
Good luck, I thought I had won over my wife recently. She did a SNUBA session on vacation and loved it, problem was the water was REALLY choppy, ended up getting her (and my 14yr old son) seasick. Now I hear that was fun, but I don't know about doing it again if we have to go on boats..............UGH!

Keep us posted on his progress....

Disneymom
08-16-2007, 17:26
Just out of curiosity, has he tried using your gear in the shallow end of the pool? That is, breathing through your reg while his face is about 6 to 12 inches below surface? He obviously shouldn't swim around or any deeper, due to AGE concerns without training. I assume, he's tried your reg while standing in dry land. In fact, he has - and really liked it. Come over to the dark side, Luuuuuuuke.

Nice going DM for not pushing him. I have to admit I did push my wife into it but now I can't keep her out of the water. And you do know half of you dive gear money now is going to him.:smiley36:Thanks! There's no way I could have pushed him - it would've backfired. And I'm not worried about my dive money - he's been willingly spending his money on my dive stuff! I'm a lucky gal. :smiley20:

Vercingetorix
08-16-2007, 17:50
Just out of curiosity, has he tried using your gear in the shallow end of the pool? That is, breathing through your reg while his face is about 6 to 12 inches below surface? He obviously shouldn't swim around or any deeper, due to AGE concerns without training. I assume, he's tried your reg while standing in dry land. In fact, he has - and really liked it. Come over to the dark side, Luuuuuuuke.OK...ya got him hooked.

Now the down side. Twice the expenditures for scuba gear. Or, reduced expenditures for yourscuba toys.:smiley19:

Disneymom
08-19-2007, 09:20
it's off for today. our pool is under rehab. they've moved it to next weekend. I think darling daughter is going to do it too. :smiley20: Will keep ya'll posted!

deepdiver47
08-19-2007, 10:23
That is too bad.

Make sure that you keep giving him the dive serum. If it wear off he may want to be become a stamp collector instead. Just as risky you know :)

Liv7301
08-19-2007, 11:16
I am very excited for you both! I have huge respect for your husband trying so hard to tackle his fears. You must be very proud of him!

Let us know how it all works out!

shotthebreeze
08-19-2007, 14:03
The two of them are going to get hooked; not a doubt in my mind. I'm really interested to see how it pans out...

Disneymom
08-20-2007, 19:42
I am very excited for you both! I have huge respect for your husband trying so hard to tackle his fears. You must be very proud of him!

Let us know how it all works out! I am!!! :smiley20:

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 19:50
good luck to your husband !

ixrayu
08-20-2007, 21:19
As someone who had to overcome a HUGE fear of the water... be kind. Don't let him give up either even if he says he really wants to. I didn't want to go back after my first night and Gary made me. Now I'm glad he did. My classes were private and the things my husband didn't have trouble with in his classes (way back) I did. ( My instructor let my husband sit in on my classes since they were private). So please don't say "That skill is easy."( I had trouble swimming without the stupid mask but not clearing it or breathing without it.).
You sound like an awesome spouse (like my husband is other than that one comment he made) so I'm sure ya'll have fun! And I'm sending good thoughts your and your husband's way!!!

scubasavvy
08-22-2007, 20:14
Congrats to you both! I wish I had some friends that were as patient as you are. You really have something special. Fill us in when he hits the water!

CharlieSierra
08-24-2007, 03:26
I still can't recall how in the world I convinced my wife to join me in our Discover Scuba excursions on a cruise. She was the person that wouldn't let go of the side of the pool she could stand up in. She's a regular fish now. I'd like to think it was because my outstanding patience and guidance, but anyone who knows me well will tell you that is not the case. Nope, she did it through sheer bravery and determination. Now she glows when I brag about her posing for a picture with a sea turtle to our friends. Good luck to you.

Disneymom
08-24-2007, 10:07
thank you all for the kind words! It's on for this weekend - tomorrow! He turned in his paperwork for it last night. I think it'll go really well.

ixrayu
08-24-2007, 15:21
My fingers are crossed and sending lots of good thoughts toward OK!!!!!

chewyjr15
08-25-2007, 02:38
good luck

YellowfinKunkfish
08-25-2007, 17:17
Disneymom,

How did it go?!

jwdizney
08-26-2007, 18:32
What a great bunch you guys are! I'm the "Disney-Dad" you all have been supporting, and I did my Discover Scuba class yesterday morning! DISNEYMOM told me about this thread and all the support so I thought i'd personally let you guys know... THIS SCUBA THING IS AWESOME!... I've really been trying to understand the attraction, but after my brief experience with great instructors and the support of an awesome buddy (disneymom!) I have discovered a whole new world! I've enlisted for the open water class, and our daughter is planning to join me! I only wish I had done this years ago!

THANKS TO EVERYBODY! ESPECIALLY DISNEYMOM!!!!

chewyjr15
08-26-2007, 18:46
good for you I'm in the same boat I'm taking OW in october

TxScubaBear
08-26-2007, 20:20
Congrats, I think a lot of us "older folk" like me wish we'd done it sooner, I got my OW cert at 49, taking AOW with ST in 2 weeks, I'm 50, and loving life!!!
Glad to hear you're joining us!

Liv7301
08-26-2007, 21:26
Congratulations jwdizney and welcome to the fold!!! Your story is awesome and I am so excited for you all! Think of the crazy family dive trips that will now ensue!!!

Yay!!

cgvmer
08-26-2007, 21:29
Welcome and good luck

diverdad
08-26-2007, 22:03
well done jwdisney i think you will get more excited every time you get set for another dive. now i wish i could get my wife to take the plunge.

congrats and dive safe

scubasavvy
08-26-2007, 22:16
What a great bunch you guys are! I'm the "Disney-Dad" you all have been supporting, and I did my Discover Scuba class yesterday morning! DISNEYMOM told me about this thread and all the support so I thought i'd personally let you guys know... THIS SCUBA THING IS AWESOME!... I've really been trying to understand the attraction, but after my brief experience with great instructors and the support of an awesome buddy (disneymom!) I have discovered a whole new world! I've enlisted for the open water class, and our daughter is planning to join me! I only wish I had done this years ago!

THANKS TO EVERYBODY! ESPECIALLY DISNEYMOM!!!!

She's a great lady, what can we say? Hats off to you for overcoming your fear of the water. I'm sure you'll be a fish in no time. Congrats!

dallasdivergirl
08-26-2007, 23:13
I am so excited for you both!

you will have such a great time diving together.

gtjason2000
08-27-2007, 08:53
I don't know if we should be congratulating someone for picking up a habit thats worse than crack - jk. Welcome to our underwater world and congratulations.

creggur
08-27-2007, 09:35
Congrats!!!!!

We were all pulling for you!!!! Glad you enjoyed it...Nothing like having a diving spouse to buddy with.....

plot
09-03-2007, 16:05
congrats guys :)

I know disneymom has been looking for a dive buddy for awhile, glad she finally got her family into it.

Kidder
09-03-2007, 16:09
I hear that a full face mask (regulator intergrated) helps people who are afraid of the water. This way they can avoid getting their face wet. I guess it all boils down to what makes them feel comfortable.

chewyjr15
09-03-2007, 16:21
so when is your open water class

jwdizney
09-04-2007, 10:16
OW classroom 9-12, pool sessions 9-16, OW dives 9-22/23. if all goes well..... i'll be a bonafide scuba diver in 3 weeks........ already making a ST shopping list....

fire diver
09-04-2007, 10:27
OW classroom 9-12, pool sessions 9-16, OW dives 9-22/23. if all goes well..... i'll be a bonafide scuba diver in 3 weeks........ already making a ST shopping list....

Congrats! I'm sure your going to do great! Don't be afraid to go slow and take a few tries to get used to things like mask clearing and remove / replace your reg.

As long as you are breathing, everything is fine. Like Jimmy Buffett's song, "Breath in, breath out, move on".

I will be on a cruise when you take your course. So be sure and post about how class went!

FD

underwaterdan
09-04-2007, 10:27
So Disney mom, when is the next trip to the living seas with your new dive buddy?!

greyzen
09-04-2007, 11:15
You guys should go do the Epcot thingie again, this time HE can wave at YOU through the glass :D

jwdizney
09-04-2007, 18:45
We have a disney trip planned for Oct. 16-20 this year.. going to Tampa first to snorkel with the manatees, then disney world! DISNEYMOM is already planning the EPCOT dive, i'm waiting till I finish OW before I commit....

Disneymom
09-05-2007, 07:54
So Disney mom, when is the next trip to the living seas with your new dive buddy?!New dive buddy just answered below - October!! I'm excited to do that dive - I've been in The Living Seas so many times, it'll be fun to see it from the other side of the glass!

underwaterdan
09-05-2007, 08:09
I really can't wait to do that dive, it is #1 on my list!

underwaterdan
09-05-2007, 08:10
I almost forgot to add... Wow, well good luck - the epcot dive alone is enough reason to get certified, and that isn't even in open water! :smiley32: Congrats!

We have a disney trip planned for Oct. 16-20 this year.. going to Tampa first to snorkel with the manatees, then disney world! DISNEYMOM is already planning the EPCOT dive, i'm waiting till I finish OW before I commit....

mdwestgrl
09-05-2007, 19:48
Have a great time and let us know what your new dive buddy thinks of it. My husband and I talked about doing the dive at Epcot in January. Sounds really awesome!

jwdizney
09-07-2007, 21:55
again, the encouragement is very helpful!... keep it coming and i'll keep you posted on my journey....

Chocoholic
09-30-2007, 19:56
So how was it? I have been showing my hubby pics and all but no dice, not interested. Well, I must add that he tried it in the pool in Mexico for about 3 minutes but the mask didn't seal on his mustache and that was it for him.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 19:59
I think I really want to learn to swim and take one of this Discover Scuba courses and see what it is like.From what jwdizney has said it is a blast.

jwdizney
09-30-2007, 20:10
So how was it? I have been showing my hubby pics and all but no dice, not interested. Well, I must add that he tried it in the pool in Mexico for about 3 minutes but the mask didn't seal on his mustache and that was it for him.
there's a lot of guys on this forum that dive with facial hair..i'd say start a thread and get some tips from them... they'll be very helpful.. don't let that keep him from taking the plunge!

I think I really want to learn to swim and take one of this Discover Scuba courses and see what it is like.From what jwdizney has said it is a blast.
Widow, i have a feeling you're getting closer every day! I think it would even be helpful if you share your journey on the forum, once you get started, much like I did. the support of the community is both helpful and motivational.. trust me!..... you'll do great, and you and flipper can explore a whole new world together...:smiley20::smiley20:

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 20:26
there's a lot of guys on this forum that dive with facial hair..i'd say start a thread and get some tips from them... they'll be very helpful.. don't let that keep him from taking the plunge!

Widow, i have a feeling you're getting closer every day! I think it would even be helpful if you share your journey on the forum, once you get started, much like I did. the support of the community is both helpful and motivational.. trust me!..... you'll do great, and you and flipper can explore a whole new world together...:smiley20::smiley20:

I am really looking forward to being able to swim and dive with him eventfully...I have gotten alot of inspiration from you as well...thanks alot.

mdwestgrl
09-30-2007, 20:48
Widow, When I got certified I did it with my mom - who was terrified of water and could not swim. She thought if she could make it through this it would help her overcome her fear of the water, so she asked me to take the class with her (this was 6 years ago now). I took the class with her and the instructor was great, basically taught her to swim along with scuba diving and we worked on it in the pool first for awhile and then got certified in a local lake. Best thing she ever did! She is now very comfortable swimming in the lake and scuba diving! You can do it! Get someone supportive to take the class with you that can help tremendously!! You will love it! :smiley20:

Also, my husband has a buddy that has a mustache and dives, he uses chapstick and layers it around his mustache and somehow that seals his mask so that it doesn't leak. He said it works everytime!

diverdad
09-30-2007, 21:24

Scubawidow you should talk to YellowfinKunkfish. In august i got to dive with her and her husband and they told me that she could not swim as well and (i believe since febuary) she has learned to swim and was certified. Now she is having the time of new underwater life.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 21:29
I have been using the forum to get some info and support for overcoming my fear...and finflippers is great about helping me.

greyzen
09-30-2007, 22:48
Hey Scubawidow, my wife is not scared of the water... but has never really ever played in it either.

We decided that we wanted to expand our interest into scuba (I was into it, she wasn't) and so we headed to our local swimming pool about three nights a week and spent about half the time playing and half the time working.

I found that showing her how to get comfy in and under the water helped out the most, teaching her how to get where she wanted and stay there when she got there, how to keep water out of her nose/etc.

After about three weeks, we did our OW cert. She did amazing.

I'm not going to lie, she had some trouble with the mask clearing/etc. there was still panic and comfort issues to overcome, but the point is... she did it.

She sat through her scare, and now has defeated it. She learned a lot about herself from that little ordeal, and now is actually interested in heading down south to coz for a long weekend and get some divetime in.

You can do it, just work at your pace and know that you can overcome any obstacles to reach your goal!

jwdizney
10-01-2007, 08:49
Good advice, Greyzen... see Widow, we're not the only ones!:smiley20: