PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested for not watering his lawn

Flfiremedic
10-15-2008, 22:07
Please read this and if it bothers you as much as it did me, email president@bwcai.org (president@bwcai.org) and let him know your feelings, as he is the one that had the suit brought. The link is below.

Brown lawn means jail time - St. Petersburg Times (http://tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article847365.ece)

Thanks,

Dave

Diver Kat
10-15-2008, 22:23
Geez ... this is pretty sad - his lawn isn't even that bad looking. Thank god they haven't seen my lawn ... I'd probably get the chair!

PaulThomas
10-15-2008, 22:29
While I feel compassion for the guy, that's what happens when you don't follow the terms you agreed to when you don't play by the agreed rules. Re-sodding can be expensive, but it can also be extremely cheap if you just buy the grains and add water which would have been enough to comply with the judge's order.

I'll believe there is also more to this story...

Black-Gorrilla
10-15-2008, 22:37
Geez ... this is pretty sad - his lawn isn't even that bad looking. Thank god they haven't seen my lawn ... I'd probably get the chair!

pics please!!

ReefHound
10-15-2008, 22:40
I don't care what else there is to the story, you don't jail someone over how their yard looks.

K9Pig
10-15-2008, 23:25
The new Supreme Home Owner's Association rights as per Prudente Warnings. (Miranda Warnings)

You have the right to sod your yard.
Any lack of grass seed or water will be used against you in any home owner's association BS court.
If you can not afford to sod your yard. One will be appointed to NOT help you - the jailhouse yard.
Knowing your lack of financial stability, are you willing cooperate with these such covenants at this time.

If so, please sign here:______________________
And kneel to the HOA President!!!!!
:lin:

PaulThomas
10-15-2008, 23:30
I don't care what else there is to the story, you don't jail someone over how their yard looks.
I don't know the law in Pinellas County & St. Pete, but I doubt he's going to stay jailed that long. The next step is to foreclose on his house to "get rid of the nuisance". He's not going to win that fight. Going to jail is probably the only way he can keep his family in the house for a little while longer.

I talked to a guy who faced a similar situation and ended up losing his house because he added a marine flag --or POW flag, I can't remember now-- below his American flag. The community covenant's stated that the only flags that could be displayed was the American flag, making the second flag illegal.

Publicizing will hopefully to get him someone to sod is lawn for free but I doubt it will help him in any other manner.

PvtStash
10-16-2008, 01:45
what a waste of my money... probably costs something like $300/day (or something equally ludicrous) to Put/Keep someone in jail... even if he only spends a short time... is it worth you picking up the tab to the tune of $1000 or more for some guy that didnt water his lawn?

Sheesh, fine HIM , not US!

bmp51
10-16-2008, 02:10
and the homeowner bs about flags went all the way to the supreme court because a hand full of HOA's thought they could tell you that you can’t have any flag on your property... funny how willing some are to let what was a good idea turn into a controlling POS system.

This worked for a buddy of mine who was having HOA troubles over something to do with the color of his mailbox (it faded or something), so he ran for HOA president (with the help of other abused home owners) then the same group amended the rules to remove the HOA from any power.... destroy them from within I suppose.

Bert
10-16-2008, 05:22
The HOA is proble the first in line to preach conservation.I will never live with a HOA

mselizann
10-16-2008, 06:47
I don't understand why people want to live in these kind of communities- it seems so "Stepford" to me.

ReefHound
10-16-2008, 06:59
I don't know the law in Pinellas County & St. Pete, but I doubt he's going to stay jailed that long. The next step is to foreclose on his house to "get rid of the nuisance". He's not going to win that fight. Going to jail is probably the only way he can keep his family in the house for a little while longer.

A contempt of court charge has no limits. You stay in jail as long as the judge says you do, there is no parole, there is no bail. Susan McDougal stayed there a couple of years because she wouldn't testify in Whitewater.

zahgurim
10-16-2008, 07:00
:lol: Your country is weird... very screwed up priorities.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 07:06
This is messed up, children stil go hungry here in America and we are wasting taxpayer's money on lawn beauty lawsuits.

mike_s
10-16-2008, 08:31
this is sooooo Bullsh**.

This is just some lame judge that is ticked that the guy ignored his court order to sod his lawn. It's like a cop giving you a ticket for "contempt of cop".

The issue to sod his lawn should have never been issued.

I agree. but communities are doing it.

We have an ordinance (city, not homer owner association) on keeping your yard in order.

The city started fining people that their yards were really excessively overgrown ( I mean like 2 ft tall grass) and in violation of the city ordinance. But no on has gone to jail for tall grass. just some fines and assements.

However, ironically the local paper started publishing photos of city property with grass that was 2ft high also. so talk about the city being a bunch of hypocrites.

and the homeowner bs about flags went all the way to the supreme court because a hand full of HOA's thought they could tell you that you canít have any flag on your property... funny how willing some are to let what was a good idea turn into a controlling POS system.

This worked for a buddy of mine who was having HOA troubles over something to do with the color of his mailbox (it faded or something), so he ran for HOA president (with the help of other abused home owners) then the same group amended the rules to remove the HOA from any power.... destroy them from within I suppose.

Gotta love hearing stories like that.

We looked at buying in a subdivision that has a HOA. It had a $50/month fee that included use of a community pool.

Well the developer of the subdivision (without any vote) sent out a letter to all the homeowners that they would need to sign up to "clean" the community bathroom at the pool. so you have to clean up someone elses mess when you've got 100 houses paying $50/month and they can't afford a $50/week cleaning fee? give me a break.

The top that off, the neighborhood convenants said that each homeowner had "1" vote and the developer had "5" votes for any lot he still owned that was not developed, which at the time was over 100 potential lots and townhome lots. so the devleoper could screw the homeowners at any time by out-voting them.

I'm so glad I didn't buy there.

Grizbear98
10-16-2008, 10:09
Someone called the cops on my parents for having stuff in our backyard once, they didn't like the way it looked so it apparently violated some ordnance that may or may not exist the basement being repaired and they had the stuff sitting in the back! They also said our dog was outside all day, when she was only out for 2 hours because she wanted to lay down in the sun with the nice weather. Claimed she was barking all day, BS. My neighbors are pricks. I wouldn't be surprised if someone called in saying our flowers needed watering or the lawn next.

nikefreekz
10-16-2008, 10:16
bizarre story...

BlowingBubbles
10-16-2008, 11:19

:smilie39:

I know someone in a Gestapo subdivision and she works her *ss off keeping her place up to code. I could never abide having someone tell *me* how to take care of my property unless it was truly out-of-hand or some sort of hazard area.

frankc420
10-16-2008, 11:30
If someone makes you mad, just spread powdered milk in their front yard. Next time it rains (which could be weeks), a few days later you have a foul odor. Pretty fun! Not that I've ever done it... *cough*

John Yaskowich
10-16-2008, 11:50
If someone makes you mad, just spread powdered milk in their front yard. Next time it rains (which could be weeks), a few days later you have a foul odor. Pretty fun! Not that I've ever done it... *cough*
Or write things on their lawn in fertilizer. Just helping selective parts of the lawn to grow better (he says, walking away, whistling)

Jack Hammer
10-16-2008, 12:15
The trouble with stories like this is all sides are right and all sides are wrong. It's very conflicting and difficult, not to mention very stupid. It's easy to make a valid case for the homeowner, the judge, or the Association. It's just as easy to make a valid case against any of them. Remember, this is a case of escalation of something simple that gets blown out of proportion and takes a life of it's own in the media.

The lesson is read and understand the consequences of documents before you sign them.

No Misses
10-16-2008, 12:38
I blame the Judge. He should have never gone so far as to say "sod your lawn or go to jail". All that he should have done is rule in favor of the plaintiff; i.e.: "you are not in compliance with the contract (homeowner and HOA). This man did not violate a city ordinance. He violated a HOA rule. The HOA can sod his lawn and then go after him for the cost + fines.

On another note: I live in a community with a HOA. Yes they are a pain in the A$$. But, in the long run, I am happy with the results. I do not have to put up with junk cars sitting on blocks in my neighbor’s front lawn. The lots in South Florida are very small. The houses are usually less that 20' from each other (side yard). The front and back yards aren't much bigger. Who was it that said "good fences make good neighbors"? HOA's are there to keep the whole neighborhood looking good.

The real shame is that none of his neighbors have offered to help him repair his sprinkler system. This would have eliminated the need to re-sod. I have repaired several sprinkler systems in my neighborhood. The work is easy and it benefits me and my neighbors.

thagar
10-16-2008, 18:49
That's military housing right there. If your house isn't up to all their regulations then they threaten to kick you out of housing. You had better of done a good pre-inspection before you moved in or else they will charge you for everything once you move out.

Moxie
10-20-2008, 11:52
Wow.... in our city they actually encourage brown lawns. I think that this is clearly a case of a judge abusing his authority.

bsktcase93
11-04-2008, 00:22
thats messed up

Brian Sharpe
11-06-2008, 13:27
What a waste of taxpayer's money. To borrow the words of Mr. Dickens....The law is an ass.

James1010
11-06-2008, 19:14
unbelievable. Seriously unbelievable that we have people who have so much time on there hands to heckle someone over there yard.

BarbadosSlim93
11-12-2008, 20:07
If you live in an association and you do not follow the guidelines, you should be fined, it is part of living in a community with an association. But it appears this gentleman had no money to pay for new sod, and jailing him over what is at most a civil matter, is absolutely ridiculous. People wonder why jails are so over crowded...

loudgonzo
11-13-2008, 13:26
I will never live with a HOA
Amen!

My mom lives in one and she's in a constant battle with them. Seems like they like to work one way; expect residents to own up their agreements, no questions asked....but when it's something they're responsible for, good luck.

wheelman
11-13-2008, 13:57
I'm sure the HOA fullfilled their contractual agreement with the notice. The judge IMO should not mandated a sentence but judges were once lawyers who know lawyers. Even HOA home owners.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-13-2008, 19:03
Please read this and if it bothers you as much as it did me, email president@bwcai.org (president@bwcai.org) and let him know your feelings, as he is the one that had the suit brought. The link is below.

Brown lawn means jail time - St. Petersburg Times (http://tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article847365.ece)

Thanks,

Dave

Up here, they arrest you if you do water your lawn. Freaking commies.

PuyallupCoug
11-14-2008, 16:38
In mother Russia, lawn waters you!

tndiverdude
11-15-2008, 23:29
Its nsanity. Peopel who could nto stand just letting other people live and feel the need to be dickheads is what thsi is about. Someone always being a bully.
I am glad I live in the rural area.

Zeagle Eagle
11-22-2008, 19:59

He didn't get jailed for how his yard looked. He was jailed for contempt of court.

Zeagle Eagle
11-22-2008, 20:04
He knew the rules ahead of time. If he didn't want to live in a subdivision that required a green lawn then he should have moved somewhere else. I know of a subdivision where you can be fined for leaving your garage door open all the time, or parking an RV in the driveway. Some people want to live like that and it's fine. I don't so I don't live there.
Bottom line, he broke the rules and now he has to pay. BTW, he didn't get jailed for not watering his lawn he was jailed for contempt of court.
I still can't figure out why he couldn't have used a hose to water his lawn. Was he just being an obstinate peckerwood?

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 20:24

He didn't get jailed for how his yard looked. He was jailed for contempt of court.
ditto

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 20:25
He knew the rules ahead of time. If he didn't want to live in a subdivision that required a green lawn then he should have moved somewhere else. I know of a subdivision where you can be fined for leaving your garage door open all the time, or parking an RV in the driveway. Some people want to live like that and it's fine. I don't so I don't live there.
Bottom line, he broke the rules and now he has to pay. BTW, he didn't get jailed for not watering his lawn he was jailed for contempt of court.
I still can't figure out why he couldn't have used a hose to water his lawn. Was he just being an obstinate peckerwood?
and ditto

teerlkay
11-23-2008, 09:01
i was living in suburban MD and they tried to bust some guy for not taking care of/cutting his lawn. As far as I know he won - he said he was going for the "meadow effect" to show his young daughter about nature.

Zeagle Eagle
11-25-2008, 00:05
I don't understand why people want to live in these kind of communities- it seems so "Stepford" to me.

I live in a community like that and I love it. It's a gated community and all the lawns are manicured, the homes are beautifully maintained, the streets have no pot holes and we have zero crime. That's the way I like to live and I think you should respect that. I would never look down on you if you want to live in a trailer park or a housing project. Each to his own. That's what makes this country great... Freedom to live as we want to.

I like bluejeans and a T shirt you may like to dress up. I like blue you may like green. We are all different. Be tolerant.

DollFin
11-25-2008, 11:34

I live in a community like that and I love it. It's a gated community and all the lawns are manicured, the homes are beautifully maintained, the streets have no pot holes and we have zero crime. That's the way I like to live and I think you should respect that. I would never look down on you if you want to live in a trailer park or a housing project. Each to his own. That's what makes this country great... Freedom to live as we want to.

I like bluejeans and a T shirt you may like to dress up. I like blue you may like green. We are all different. Be tolerant.

It's the idea of how most HOA's are so fanatically regulated, and do not allow for any sense of individuality. I don't have issues with a well maintained neighborhood, but when it gets to the point where you are told what colors you can and can't paint your own house, what flowers you can and can't plant, what cars you can and can't park in your own driveway and what flags you can and can't fly... you talk about "freedom to live as you want to", which is fine, but I don't think "freedom to live as you want to" means freedom to tell your neighbor what they can and can't do with their own home. You say "we are all different, be tolerant", but HOA's sure are not tolerant of anyone who wants to be different. Oh, and just because someone doesn't want to live that way does not mean they live in a trailer park or housing project - sorry, but to me, that sounds like you are implying that people who don't care for the planned community lifestyle are all "trailer trash".

Zeagle Eagle
12-13-2008, 13:18

It's the idea of how most HOA's are so fanatically regulated, and do not allow for any sense of individuality. I don't have issues with a well maintained neighborhood, but when it gets to the point where you are told what colors you can and can't paint your own house, what flowers you can and can't plant, what cars you can and can't park in your own driveway and what flags you can and can't fly... you talk about "freedom to live as you want to", which is fine, but I don't think "freedom to live as you want to" means freedom to tell your neighbor what they can and can't do with their own home. You say "we are all different, be tolerant", but HOA's sure are not tolerant of anyone who wants to be different. Oh, and just because someone doesn't want to live that way does not mean they live in a trailer park or housing project - sorry, but to me, that sounds like you are implying that people who don't care for the planned community lifestyle are all "trailer trash".

2 POINTS:

1. Yes, you do have a right to tell your neighbor what they can and can't do with their homes in some neighborhoods. There are many neighborhoods that have very restrictive deed restrictions. I assume you read the deed restrictions before you moved in. There are plenty of community's where there are no deed restrictions. Choose which one you wish to live in; but, if you choose mine then don't bitch if you can't park your car in the driveway, let your grass die or paint your house scuba red with a white stripe.

2. It was not my intent to demean anyone that lives in a trailer park. (I have and my dad currently does). If it came across that way then I apologize to anyone that I may have offended. Sometimes what I think I am trying to say is not what comes across.

FishFood
12-13-2008, 13:32
How many months did this take place over? A little elbow greese to remove the old grass, and replant new grass, and looky there... GRASS!

Or better yet. Get a $5 water sprinkler when the fancy underground ones broke.

Sounds like the type of person that blames everyone else for their problems :dunno:

plot
12-13-2008, 13:39
i can see having someone fined, wages garnished, even kicked out of their home as a failure to follow rules agreed upon by a contract... but jail? I can definity see the advantages of a good HOA, but I'd still never live in one.

There's a house around here, guy painted his house a color not on his HOA list... wasn't a weird color or anything, house looked good. HOA took him to court and he had to change it to approved HOA colors. He bought one of each color and pinstripped his house... HOA took him back to court, judge approved what he had done. His house were the colors on the list.

Zeagle Eagle
12-15-2008, 22:49
i can see having someone fined, wages garnished, even kicked out of their home as a failure to follow rules agreed upon by a contract... but jail? I can definity see the advantages of a good HOA, but I'd still never live in one.

He was jailed for contempt of court not for failure to follow the HOA rules.

plot
12-15-2008, 23:14
thats still a bunch of crap

bane51031
12-17-2008, 13:25
I personally am anti grass I hate mowing the crap, yeah he should have seeded his lawn but, jail? Also think of all the wasted water people spend watering there lawn, granted for some there lawn/yards is their hobby but, myself I would rather spend my cash on scuba.....

plot
12-17-2008, 16:50
why arn't green advocates all over this forced watering of the lawn crap? not to mention putting pesticides on and other harmfull chemicals on it... seriously, think about the environment instead of what a lawn looks like for once.

Zeagle Eagle
12-23-2008, 16:34

There's a house around here, guy painted his house a color not on his HOA list... wasn't a weird color or anything, house looked good. HOA took him to court and he had to change it to approved HOA colors. He bought one of each color and pinstripped his house... HOA took him back to court, judge approved what he had done. His house were the colors on the list.

I would be interested in reading the "pin stripped" house" story. Where did you get the information from?

Zeagle Eagle
12-23-2008, 16:35
thats still a bunch of crap

I don't understand your point. Can you clarify it?

plot
12-23-2008, 16:46

I would be interested in reading the "pin stripped" house" story. Where did you get the information from?

it's a house in kansas city near whats known as waldo. this went down in like the early 90s and the thing is still pin striped :D

(at least it was the last time i was in the area and checked)