PDA

View Full Version : Diving Dreams

Osprey
08-15-2007, 23:08
Does anyone else ever dream of diving/being underwater? In one of those nice, don't-need-to-talk-to-a-shrink ways? lol.

Last night I had a dream I was swimming and when I turned around, a manta ray was floating over me. It was so peaceful! I haven't been swimming at all this summer (healing piercings) but MAN it made me miss the water!!!

Anyone else?

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 23:27
you'll have to tell us what you got pierced :D

i think i had some dreams when i was doing my OW....but nothing since that I can remember :(

Osprey
08-15-2007, 23:32
You'll have to highlight between the arrows to read LOL. Hint --> my bra kept them from getting snagged. OUCH! <--

That also sucks about the lack of scuba-dream, I always feel so happy in the water.. even if it's all in my head (makes me sound crazy hahaha!)

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 23:37
nice.....but that might burn a bit in salt water :SHOCKED:

having dreams about diving.....maybe i should reread that book on lucid dreaming i have.....

Osprey
08-15-2007, 23:43
That's ok, I actually removed them 6 months after having them done. Too much work for what they were! But the healing process is still ongoing.

Lucid dreaming is pretty amazing, I've only done it a few times. I can't believe those people who can dream like that all the time! Pretty neat :)

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 23:47
i've never done it....well at least i've never done it where I went to bed actually trying to consciously have a lucid dream

thor
08-16-2007, 01:12
After I dive, and I am lying in bed, I always have that feeling like I am still weightless and floating in the water. ( And you thought I was going to say that I get that not so fresh feeling)

Phestr
08-16-2007, 03:11
Ii only dream of diving during my after dive naps (when I get them). They usually involve going over things that didn't go quite right.

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 07:06
Does anyone else ever dream of diving/being underwater? In one of those nice, don't-need-to-talk-to-a-shrink ways? lol.

Last night I had a dream I was swimming and when I turned around, a manta ray was floating over me. It was so peaceful! I haven't been swimming at all this summer (healing piercings) but MAN it made me miss the water!!!

Anyone else?

Like this? You were in Yap my friend. I was there in May of this year.

scubafreak
08-16-2007, 07:36
I dream about diving all the time, in fact I talk about diving all the time too.

It is always on my mind, 24/7/365

I need to take my medication now, bye :)

94GTStang
08-16-2007, 08:02
Pics or shens Osprey :D

And I don't think I've ever had any scuba dreams :(

Rockhound76
08-16-2007, 08:29
I've always been able to have lucid dreams. When I was a kid, my dreams were my favorite part of the day, uh, night.

About diving/swimming underwater dreams; In college, I dated a PhD candidate psychologist. I remember once, she read me a story that described a general theme, but had me (or whoever was listening) fill in the details. To be effective, the lights were brought down and the listener was put into a very calm state with music or hypnotic suggestion.

The scenario suggested involved a the listener walking down a path and encountering a series of obstacles. The analysis she was trying was based on the imagined response to the obstacles. Each response was supposed to be an indicator of a personality trait. I do not know if this was true or not....but it was fun...

At one point along my imaginary path, there was a large body of water that had to be crossed.

I told her that I imagined myself swimming underwater all the way across. When she heard this, she paused.

"Underwater"

"Yup."

"Well, dreaming or daydreaming about water is a measure of sex drive. The, er, wetter you get in the crossing, the stronger your drive."

"But, I dream about diving and swimming underwater all the time..."

We started dating right after that......

So, if you dream about scuba a lot, well, you know what i mean....
(Ahem. About that story; it was a LONG time ago.)

J-Cub
08-16-2007, 09:54
Oh..... so that explains it. Nice. LOL.

Osprey
08-16-2007, 11:45

Anyone else?

Like this? You were in Yap my friend. I was there in May of this year.

oh how wonderful!! i'd give an awful lot to relive that!

Osprey
08-16-2007, 11:46
LOL well! scuba-dreamers must be the biggest nymphos around! (i'm just kidding!)

dallasdivergirl
08-16-2007, 11:57
I dream about diving / water / swimming when I am under a huge amount of stress & more now that I am single.

I guess I need a little more stress reduction activities.

sidneydiver
08-17-2007, 00:24
I had a very weird dream about hammerheads biting through the line off a wreck and then circling around so that I couldn't surface!

Liv7301
08-17-2007, 09:52
I tend to have schuba dreams a lot when I am in a class. During the pool and lake weekends of OW I slept horribly because I would have half awake half asleep dreams about the skills I need to drill, the dives on the next day, checking gear, etc. It seems like it happens when my brain gets flooded with a particular event or task and then can't seem to shut down for rest. During AOW last weekend it was much better but I still had a few dreams. It's odd being in a tent, in 85 degrees, at midnight, and half alseep going over the deep dive the next morning and then trying to plan my last elective dive, but really all you want to do just conk out.

My husband has had a few dive nightmares, usually of the same type of occurance...he is swimming and comes to an abyss, then starts sinking like a rock and no matter what he does (kick up, inflate bc, drop weights) he can't stop it.

Darth Fishhead
08-17-2007, 11:06
My only scuba dream was on my last night in Bonaire. I was swimming and there were talking sea critters all around me. I was trying to convince a talking horse to come under with me. That's pretty strange, I know.

kevinj1
08-17-2007, 12:56
LOL well! scuba-dreamers must be the biggest nymphos around! (i'm just kidding!)

Osprey, would you like to hang out some time? lol
Seriously, I rarely have scuba dreams, but when I do, they are amazing. I only wish I had more dreams like that.

Osprey
08-17-2007, 14:15
Liv, your husband has horrible dreams! I used to have dreams that my car's breaks would fail and I'd keep going at really stupid speeds down hills, through parking lots, over highways.. wonder what it all means..

Kevin- LOL

Vegas
08-17-2007, 14:20
After I dive, and I am lying in bed, I always have that feeling like I am still weightless and floating in the water. ( And you thought I was going to say that I get that not so fresh feeling)

A few weeks ago we did 5 dives out at the lake on a Saturday afternoon/evening....Laying in bed that night I could swear I could feel my fins still on my feet.......

Vegas
08-17-2007, 14:42
. . .
Anyone else?

I dream about diving all the time!
I'm one of those folks that has, and remembers, ALOT of dreams, especially if I nap during the day.

Interesting thing - I work in a law office, and oftentimes for lunch I'll close the door on the conference room, put up my feet, and catch a few zzzz's before I have to go back to work. :shh:
Well over half the time when I take this little snooze I dream about diving.

The funny thing? (this is a true story)

I was on a live-aboard for a couple of days a few weeks ago. Around mid afternoon, while going from one site to another, I sat up in a comfy spot on deck and took a little snooze.....you know what I dreamed about? ...
.... being at work in the law office!

:scatter:

Is THAT crazy or what?

dmdoss
08-17-2007, 23:44
I dream about it all the time.

Liv7301
08-18-2007, 00:47
Liv, your husband has horrible dreams! I used to have dreams that my car's breaks would fail and I'd keep going at really stupid speeds down hills, through parking lots, over highways.. wonder what it all means..

Kevin- LOL

Yeah, the dreams can be a bit creepy at times. :smiley26:

Like others have mentioned, after a nice day of diving when I go to bed, I do still feel the slight rising and falling of boyancy. Some times I can also still feel other gear too.

Kunk35
08-18-2007, 06:36
I've had flying dreams where I "swim" through the air. Alot of times I'm being chased and I get just enough altitude to elude my persuers.

I did notice the last one I had since getting scuba certified, I had fins on and I could fly much faster and higher!:smiley20:

unclepooty
08-18-2007, 07:45
Would these all be considered "wet dreams"?........I'm somewhat confused.

Queen
08-18-2007, 08:47
I've always had dreams where I could breathe under water, not like I was a fish but just me able to hang out under water as long as I wanted...I want that when I'm awake too.

plot
08-18-2007, 09:57
peircings ruined a summer of diving... was it worth it?

Liv7301
08-18-2007, 11:49

Here is a bad one....one of the reasons I am not interested in being pregnant and having children yet is that it will mean 9 months of no diving and after that much less flexibility to pick up and run to a dive spot at will.

Don't feel too bad about the piercings. On the flip side there is some big life stuff that I am putting off in favor of diving.

Osprey
08-18-2007, 12:00

Not at all, actually. Previous piercings have been, but not these. I took them out, and now my swim delay is waiting for them to heal back over

AND I'm out a fat chunk of cash!!

Osprey
08-18-2007, 12:01
I was on a live-aboard for a couple of days a few weeks ago. Around mid afternoon, while going from one site to another, I sat up in a comfy spot on deck and took a little snooze.....you know what I dreamed about? ...
.... being at work in the law office!

That's a great story actually! :smiley36: Thank goodness you woke up to a more relaxing past time ;)

Queen
08-18-2007, 13:40
My bed is on it's last legs so I've been waking up at 3:00-3:30 every morning with a back ache, I head to the spare room to try and get back to sleep...and promptly have those dreams where you're 100% sure you're awake. :(