PDA

View Full Version : Glow

texdiveguy
10-17-2008, 16:26
https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=141_145&products_id=2340

in_cavediver
10-17-2008, 17:18
https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=141_145&products_id=2340

For $400 bucks, I'm buying steel.

I just can't imagine the coating would last how I treat my tanks.

texdiveguy
10-17-2008, 17:38
Can you imagine a group of al. doubles divers with these on....no need for dive lights anymore--lol.

CompuDude
10-17-2008, 18:15
Yeah, I saw the TDS thread, too. I'll admit it's cool and would be fun to have, but no way I'd pay $400 for an Al.80 when I get an HP100 for less, and stick a $5 glow-in-the-dark sticker on it if I'm in dire need of a glowy tank.

cummings66
10-18-2008, 11:03
I've got a friend who painted his old HP100 with glow in the dark yellow paint, it's kind of interesting to see. It certainly stands out like no other.

Myself, I don't think I'd like it.

Deep VI
10-18-2008, 21:59
For a cheaper option check this out from DupliColor.
Illuminite (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/illuminite.html)

Deep VI
10-18-2008, 22:03
$15-17

fire diver
10-19-2008, 04:33
For a cheaper option check this out from DupliColor.
Illuminite (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/illuminite.html)

Looks like a good way to stencil your tanks at least.

mitsuguy
10-19-2008, 07:23
glow in the dark paint has been around for a very long time...

House of Kolors has their different glow in the dark colors available for usually $50 / 4 ounces... mix that properly, apply to a white tank (it's see through for the most part, and doesn't require baking, so it's tank safe), and you get the same effect, and that one quart will probably paint 2-4 tanks...

After a little searching, I found some other brands that gets ya 8 ounces for $22... then ya just need a cheapie hvlp paint gun (harbor freight, $50), and an air compressor... hell you could get everything you need to do it yourself for the cost of one of their tanks, then be able to do as many tanks you want at $10 materials per tank roughly...

tndiverdude
10-23-2008, 16:11
That is something my wife woudl buy.. I like teh military paint though for reflection. Or the 3m tape.

PuyallupCoug
11-13-2008, 16:02
That is something my wife woudl buy.. I like teh military paint though for reflection. Or the 3m tape.

I've heard somewhere that it isn't recommended to put stickers, tape, or paint on Steel tanks due to the small chance water gets between the tank and said sticker/paint/tape and slowly rusts through. Anybody else heard of this?

CompuDude
11-13-2008, 16:23

I've heard somewhere that it isn't recommended to put stickers, tape, or paint on Steel tanks due to the small chance water gets between the tank and said sticker/paint/tape and slowly rusts through. Anybody else heard of this?
Yes, it's true.

texdiveguy
11-13-2008, 16:36

You will need the recommended industry stickers like annual inspection//nitrox if applc. and possibly O2 and contents stickers. These are stickers that will be replaced at intervals so little issues here.

cummings66
11-13-2008, 22:56
The key thing is no stickers that stay on there forever, yet somehow the cylinder makers seem to have theirs on their a long time. I removed some from my Genesis HP100 cylinder that was on there from around 1987 I think it was. No problem there. Light rust in the boot area though.

LRDWILDER
02-10-2009, 18:14
Don't mean to bring this back....I gotta say though. If I were on a night dive and my buddy had a glowing tank, I'd wack him and tell him to not waste the money on a glowing tank and buy a $2 light stick! Better places for me to spend a few hundred.