PDA

View Full Version : Joint Pain

BarbadosSlim93
10-18-2008, 19:47
I have something odd I have noticed lately. I have had pain in a few of my joints, mainly my left ankle and both knees. They feel almost like growing pains that I got when I was a kid. Some nights the pain is so bad that I have to try and find a way to numb the pain.

The odd thing about this joint pain is that I recently realized when I am in water of some sort like a pool or shower my joints do not hurt anymore. When I got to do my try scuba experience I felt amazing (as well as relaxed). Does anyone know why my joints feel so much better when they are submersed in water?

crosseyed95
10-21-2008, 09:28
I'm not a doctor but I've been involved in professional swimming and aquatics for a good part of my life. Here's what I can say:

Physical therapists use water therapy for many forms of rehab. While in the water, you eliminate gravity which takes pressure off the joints. You also have the ability to flex your joints (and muscles) using motions you may not normally use. Because water offers resistance, this helps build strength. The resistance also slows down the motion which helps prevent injury.

By flexing your joints in a controlled manner, you will eliminate stiffness from them which in turn will offer relief from the pain.

I'm sure a doctor could provide a more in-depth answer but hope I've helped.

crosseyed95

dmccarver1
10-21-2008, 10:32
We need to know where specifically the pain is,ie patella (knee cap), the bump just below the knee cap(tibial tubercle), inside or outside of the knee, is is painful to touch, inside or outside of the ankle, or front of the ankle, etc. How old are you, what activities are you doing daily, etc.

scubamarc
10-21-2008, 11:01
Does your back hurt anywhere, I had pains like this for a long time and noticed it was a pinched nerve.

shawnwill36
10-21-2008, 11:17
when i got into scuba diving i was looking at back surgery on my lumbar 5. i chose physical therepy instead. after a few sesions i realized the things they were doing and most envolved stretching and traction. after learning how to do it myself i stopped going. the first day of my certification class was the 200 yrd swim and 10 minute tread. myself and my instructor was concerned about the swim due to my back.

after the swim was the first time i felt no pain in months. my back still bothers me from time to time but im off the pain meds and its nothing that i a lil ibuprofen doesnt fix. im not a doctor and not telling anyone what to do, just saying what worked for me

BarbadosSlim93
10-24-2008, 06:51
We need to know where specifically the pain is,ie patella (knee cap), the bump just below the knee cap(tibial tubercle), inside or outside of the knee, is is painful to touch, inside or outside of the ankle, or front of the ankle, etc. How old are you, what activities are you doing daily, etc.

Specifically the pain is on the inside of the knee at the lower part of the knee cap and on the ankle joint where the ankle and foot meet, also on the inside. It's not painful to touch and is an intense aching pain. I am 24 and used to play hockey and football, but now I am limited in what I do because I work a lot.

dmccarver1
10-24-2008, 10:34
The inside of the knee on the lower part you have a few things going on there in terms of anatomy: 1. Medial Collateral Lig. 2. Medial hamstrings attach just distal to that(upper tibia on the inside just below the knee). From your description it sounds like the pain is either at the MCL, medial hamstring or in the joint space(which could indicate a cartilage(meniscus) tear). What I would do: Stretch the Hamstrings daily, if it is the extreme inside part of your knee, you need a hinged knee brace, rest and ice. If you have popping and locking in the joint, you should go see an orthopedic surgeon, and have them examine your knee.
Ankle: inside area you have a deltiod ligament that attaches at the ankle bone (medial malleolus) and fans out to the inside foot bones (medial tarsal bones). This could be a sprain. I am not sure what activities you have been doing recently. This part of the ankle is very prone to injury but other than early onset arthritis, its the best I can do.

Zyxistal
10-24-2008, 12:52
If you have popping and locking in the joint, you should go see an orthopedic surgeon, and have them examine your knee.

Wait, so you're saying that joint pain, popping, locking, etc are bad things? Next you're going to start saying that dislocations are bad too.

But on a more serious note, from one who has experienced pain in more joints I knew i had. I have noticed that being underwater does significantly decrease these. One of the main reasons is that when you're diving being 'weightless' takes the strain off your joints.

JFH
10-24-2008, 13:00
The inside of the knee on the lower part you have a few things going on there in terms of anatomy: 1. Medial Collateral Lig. 2. Medial hamstrings attach just distal to that(upper tibia on the inside just below the knee). From your description it sounds like the pain is either at the MCL, medial hamstring or in the joint space(which could indicate a cartilage(meniscus) tear). What I would do: Stretch the Hamstrings daily, if it is the extreme inside part of your knee, you need a hinged knee brace, rest and ice.

Curious, why do you say hinged brace? I am battling issues with my knee and I think it with the meniscus also. I do the stretched and occsionally wear a knee wrap/brace from Sports Authority. Is it worth while to buy one with a hinge? tx

BarbadosSlim93
10-24-2008, 13:38
The inside of the knee on the lower part you have a few things going on there in terms of anatomy: 1. Medial Collateral Lig. 2. Medial hamstrings attach just distal to that(upper tibia on the inside just below the knee). From your description it sounds like the pain is either at the MCL, medial hamstring or in the joint space(which could indicate a cartilage(meniscus) tear). What I would do: Stretch the Hamstrings daily, if it is the extreme inside part of your knee, you need a hinged knee brace, rest and ice. If you have popping and locking in the joint, you should go see an orthopedic surgeon, and have them examine your knee.
Ankle: inside area you have a deltiod ligament that attaches at the ankle bone (medial malleolus) and fans out to the inside foot bones (medial tarsal bones). This could be a sprain. I am not sure what activities you have been doing recently. This part of the ankle is very prone to injury but other than early onset arthritis, its the best I can do.

I have sprained that ankle a few times before, but not recently. I wonder if it has something to do with those previous injuries.

maverick
10-24-2008, 19:59
Go visit a doctor and let him make a decision what U might have wrong !!!!!!! What if U have calcium deposits????

dmccarver1
10-27-2008, 12:58
JFH- Hinged brace for the side to side stability. I agree with maverick though, go see an Orthopedist and let him determine if you have a problem, and let him treat it.