PDA

View Full Version : Lookout for lost gear

Aussheplady
10-19-2008, 13:56
While driving from Dallas to Houston to for my Cozumel vacation, one of my bags fell from my truck. In it were my brand new Zeagle zena BC, a .5mm blue Oceanic wetsuit and a yellow and black (Mares?) Brigade 3/2 wetsuit. Along with all my clothing but that is beside the point. All of my equipment is marked with my last name-Harvey, but nothing else.

I fly out first thing in the morning, but I will ask my father and brothers to notify the local dive shops to watch for it in case someone tries to sell it to them.

If anyone does by some miracle come across any of it, please contact me at carol@puppybubbles.com I won't be back until Nov 4th though.

Thanks,
Carol

fire diver
10-19-2008, 15:22
That stinks! Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I would be so mad if I lost my gear while traveling. I hope that a board member finds it, or at the very least an honorable person finds it and returns it.

Good luck, and I hope the rest of your trip goes smooth.

SynCitizen
10-19-2008, 15:28
Perfect reason to have some kind of contact info with your gear. Even if found by an honest person they would have no way of returning it to you.

Aussheplady
10-19-2008, 16:28
very true. I had just bought it, and was running behind so I was going to go and get labels to put on everything once I unloaded the luggage here at my dad's so it wouldn't be left in a parking lot while I shopped. I did file a report with the local police as that would be my only hope without having contact information in the bag.

Another lesson learned the hard way, but believe me, it is learned and sunk in now.

I wait for my husband to fly in tonight at 9:30 from Iraq (and I am sure to hear about the things I "should have" done again) then we fly out to Coz at 9am in the morning.

I am planning to call ST tomorrow to see if they can ship me another wetsuit and BC to the hotel in Coz. Here's wishful thinking for that one.

At least my personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins, boots, reg and computer ) are in my carry on bag and I still have that one. It sure could have been worse.

Zenagirl
10-19-2008, 17:03
Wow, that's heartbreaking! I hope you have a wonderful vacation anyway.

nikefreekz
10-19-2008, 20:26
thankfully you still have your personal gear with you...

Aussheplady
11-03-2008, 17:29
I just got back and must say, I had a wonderful time. Was still bummed about losing the gear, but thanks to a dive shop in Houston that was willing to open for me on a Sunday, I did at least get to purchase another Zena and wetsuit so I still got to dive with the style BC, I had planned to use. Haven't gotten around to checking to see if my gear showed up on Ebay, but it has also been 2 weeks so it may have already been on and sold by now.

BarbadosSlim93
11-05-2008, 19:34
I just got back and must say, I had a wonderful time. Was still bummed about losing the gear, but thanks to a dive shop in Houston that was willing to open for me on a Sunday, I did at least get to purchase another Zena and wetsuit so I still got to dive with the style BC, I had planned to use. Haven't gotten around to checking to see if my gear showed up on Ebay, but it has also been 2 weeks so it may have already been on and sold by now.

That stinks about your gear dude. At least you got another one, eh?

James1010
11-05-2008, 22:25
First off that really sucks. To be honest with you I would just move on and forget about it. Sorry to say that but don't beat yourself up on it.

Travelnsj
11-06-2008, 13:00
Carol sorry to hear about you lost stuff.....a week ago I paid $50 to Lion Air in Sorong for an overweight fee and they would only let me take 1 carryon. I had to put my Atomic B2 with Cobra computer attached into my main dive bag which had 100% of my dive gear in it!

When I can get an email from Lion Air it is somewhere between Sorong and Singapore....I feel your pain!

Aussheplady
11-07-2008, 07:57
No matter how it gets lost, it sucks. LOL but I think I would rather be pissed at someone else for losing it than myself. LOL

I replaced the gear and some of the clothes. (not the right time of year to find shorts. lol) I think the darn skin care products and nutritional supplements lost with it were more expensive than the gear. I never thought much about it when I was buying one here and there as I ran out, but buying it all at the same time........... ouch.

I just hope whoever found it can either use it or will sell/give it to someone who can. Would be a darn shame for a brand new Zena to be tossed in the trash.

Hope the airlines finds your stuff SOON! Would hate to see you miss out on diving due to the airlines giving your gear extra miles.

James1010
11-16-2008, 13:40
I know it has been awhile did you get any luck on getting your dive gear?

Aussheplady
11-16-2008, 20:34
I know it has been awhile did you get any luck on getting your dive gear?

Nope. My family in Houston kept an eye out for any "found" ads in the paper (just in case it was found by an honest person). I filed a report with the local police. (again, in case it was found by an honest person) Been checking on Ebay and unless it went up and was sold before I returned from Cozumel (which is possible) it hasn't shown up there. I do hope though that the person that found it will at least get some use out of it instead of tossing it.

SynCitizen
11-16-2008, 22:40
Maybe a long shot, but maybe ask the LDS's if you can post up a sheet with descriptions and contact info and/or put an ad on craigslist or local paper about it too.

fire diver
11-16-2008, 23:17
Of course it could have rolled down into a drainage ditch or creek bed if it went off in the right spot. Could still be laying out there. Maybe it will become a major archeological find in another 1000 years!