PDA

View Full Version : NAUI Training Assistant Course

Vercingetorix
07-11-2007, 11:05
I'm currently taking NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver at ScubaToys. This is a prereq for NAUI Training Assistant. I've mentioned TA to Joe who said he'd pass it to Greg Williams.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Are TA classes and certification in the planning stages at ScubaToys? If so, please don't set open water checkout dives in August through LaborDay (I'm diving FOR FUN nearly every weekend in August).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Are there other divers in the D/FW area who are seeking TA? Perhaps as a stepping stone to DM.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-11-2007, 11:09
That's something I'm looking at doing next year. For now I want to get more dives under my belt and specifically get some more ocean dives in before I start taking on additional responsibilities underwater. That and I really don't have the funds to pay to be out at CSSP for all the classes and such at this time. But I am certainly interested in any information ScubaToys wants to post on how this whole process works.

Vercingetorix
07-11-2007, 11:19
David,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>While I undrstand the desire for more diving experience (we all want that), I think we can reasonably handle the responsibility inherent to TA duties. Those duties are under the direct guidance of an instructor or DM. As TAs, we can practice skills with student and lead UW tours. And, when you get right down to it, even as basicOW, we can do that with our dive buddies, be they a single buddy or a dozen.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Being a TA teaches you to do it right and steps you toward DM/instructor, if that is one's goal.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Besides, as TA's, we can torture...I mean, work with students in Rescue. Ken, Woody, and Platyman were having too much fun last night in Rescue class with us.</DIV>

Jeff
07-11-2007, 13:05
TA is a great stepping stone towards DM. It allows you to start working with students, while you decide if DM is for you, but you don't have the liability yet that comes with a professional level certification.

I personally certified Platy last year to TA and several others who are currently in the DM training course.

From my experience, most courses done beyond Rescue are highly customized. While at times I had specific weekends, I would also attempt to find time during a regular class to work with a candidate when they were available. THis gave me some extra help at the lake, while helping you out as well.

Unfortunately, I've got a job that keeps me out of the area, so I'm not able to help out much, otherwise I'd be more than happy to work with you. Talk to Greg and Woody about your next steps and when you can arrange time with them. For TA you'll need some classroom to discuss duties and liability (one evening) and one day at the lake to prove skills.

Good luck!

Vercingetorix
07-11-2007, 14:23
Jeff,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for the info. Again, I appreciate that you, Sean, and Platywere willing to work with just me at Travis in April when the other four AOW students bailed on the class.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I undersand that you are an instructor trainer, but I'm uncertain exactly what that means. I know that you can train/certify all levels. Therefore, can only an instructor trainer train/certify TA's? Or, can a "regular" instructor, such as Mac MacPherson and Woody train/certify TAs?</DIV>

Jason
07-11-2007, 14:49
"Regulars" can train/certify T/A's as well as DM's.

Vercingetorix
07-11-2007, 15:08
Jason, Thanks. I thought that's what Jeff was saying in his last para, I just wanted verification.

TxHockeyGuy
07-11-2007, 15:36
David,
<div></div>
<div>While I undrstand the desire for more diving experience (we all want that), I think we can reasonably handle the responsibility inherent to TA duties. Those duties are under the direct guidance of an instructor or DM. As TAs, we can practice skills with student and lead UW tours. And, when you get right down to it, even as basicOW, we can do that with our dive buddies, be they a single buddy or a dozen.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Being a TA teaches you to do it right and steps you toward DM/instructor, if that is one's goal.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Besides, as TA's, we can torture...I mean, work with students in Rescue. Ken, Woody, and Platyman were having too much fun last night in Rescue class with us.</div>

Sorry if I came off as saying I didn't think you were ready, that was not at all my intention. I'm saying I think I need more dives. I also need to get more comfortable with having my mask off underwater before I progress beyond rescue. I will definitely go for TA since ScubaToys offers it and will then make the decision whether or not to go to DM. I am 90% certain I want to go to DM but since TA is offered it will give me a chance to try it out so to speak. My biggest concern is the liability aspect and I just want to make sure that the added liability is worth it for me, I think it will be.

Vercingetorix
07-11-2007, 16:16
Sorry if I came off as saying I didn't think you were ready, that was not at all my intention.No, I didn't take it that way at all. Actually, I think the best judges of whetherwe're ready or not would be current instructor (Woody) and DMs (Ken Shepler, PlatypusMan). After all, it's their students that would be entrusted to the TA's care.

Jeff
07-11-2007, 16:34
Yes, I do hold Instructor Trainer designation with NAUI.

A NAUI Instructor is able to train all Recreational level courses, most Specialty level courses, and Professional level courses up through Dive Master.

NAUI requires additional training of their Instructors for Instructor and certain specialties (such as technical level - penetration/cave/ice/etc.)

As an Instructor Trainer, I am able to teach the Instructor curriculum to Instructor candidates, but I cannot yet fully certify them. NAUI requires a Course Director (next level beyond IT) for final certification. So anyone I would work with to Instructor, must still be checked off by someone else.

All "Instructors" can take you through all levels up to Dive Master/Assistant Instructor. Beyond that you'd need to work with me, Greg or Woody, all of which are IT's.

PlatypusMan
07-11-2007, 21:13
<div>Besides, as TA's, we can torture...I mean, work with students in Rescue. Ken, Woody, and Platyman were having too much fun last night in Rescue class with us.</div>

That's because Rescue can be a fun class...and an ongoing refresher.

I know that it is for me; every class I've been privileged to work with via the indulgence of the instructors I learn something new.

PlatypusMan
07-11-2007, 21:24
Actually, I think the best judges of whetherwe're ready or not would be current instructor (Woody) and DMs (Ken Shepler, PlatypusMan). After all, it's their students that would be entrusted to the TA's care.

Please allow me to correct a misunderstanding...I am currently a TA and also a DM Candidate, not a DM. I am performing my functions in the class under the overall supervision of the class Instructor, as I did when we were working on your AOW in Travis under Jeff. Perhaps it's the ease which we all work together that gave you the impression.

I'd like to think that I do a fair job in my TA capacity, since I decided after some good advice to stay a TA for a season before going gonzo for the DM rating in order to gain extra experience and learn as much as possible watching the various instructors during the classes.

PlatypusMan
07-11-2007, 21:28
I personally certified Platy last year to TA and several others who are currently in the DM training course.

Yeah--and see what you started?

Vercingetorix has apparently already promoted me! That's a tribute to your methods, sir...including all the deserved head-banging you've done for a lot of us until we 'got it'.

woody
07-12-2007, 04:34
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Are there other divers in the D/FW area who are seeking TA? Perhaps as a stepping stone to DM.

TA's are something that is unique to NAUI. I am unaware of any other agency that will allow non Professional Level (AI, DM, and Instructor) to work with / supervise real students. Most training for these levels requires the use of Simulated Students, as does NAUI for training of TA, AI, DM, and Instructor. The TA Certification allows you the opportunity to work with real students to gain experience before progressing on the additional supervisory duties availble to DM's.

Woody

jpsexton
07-12-2007, 10:10
I'm doing the TA with my instructor and I think it is a great program. You get to see and experience classes gaining experience on the way to DM or instructor. I've learned something new with every class.

Vercingetorix
07-12-2007, 10:40
You get to see and experience classes gaining experience on the way to DM or instructor. I've learned something new with every class. That's what I'm looking forward to as a TA. By the time I start TA (after Labor Day, if it's offered), I'll have a little over 30 dives. As a new diver, I realize I have jack-squat to offer students in terms of knowledge, other than serving as a victim for rescue. I want to help where I can. And, for selfish reason, I want to continue my education by learning from the classes and the instructors I'm helping.