PDA

View Full Version : 2008 WFDC DAN under Water pumpkin carving compitition

Rileybri
10-19-2008, 20:36
On Saturday Water Front Dive Center in Burlington Vermont held its annual under water pumpkin carving competition and chili cook off at Oak Ledge Park. This year we had 12 teams of 2 competing in in the carving competition. We were aloud to empty the pumpkins/s on dry land of seeds but any further markings, cutting, decorating or further defiling of the pumpkin had to take place under water. We were confined to an area known as South Cove with a max depth of 7' feet. With a 45 minute time limit I don't think the two guys in full tech gear, including dbl. HP 120's and 20W HID can lights, were at any distinct advantage! As is tradition in this competition last years winning team forgoes the carving and competes head to head in a chili cook off and BBQ following the dive. Needless to say everyone had a blast and we raised a good chunk of change for a good cause! My partner in carving and diving this and just about every day this summer managed to eek out a 2nd place finish behind the team that got engaged while carving there pumpkins! this is our final product on display for judging. You cant see the back but it has the Super Man "S" carved in it.
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/4/8/8/0/pumpkin_carving.jpg

maddhadder
10-19-2008, 21:55
Sounds like a good time. I may have to make a trip home and check it out next year. Guess I better start practicing.

Rileybri
10-20-2008, 08:53
Sounds like a good time. I may have to make a trip home and check it out next year. Guess I better start practicing.

It was a blast. I will say that carving a pumpkin under water is not as easy as it looks! You should defiantly come back for next years comp!