PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Dive Sites

ScubaDude
10-19-2008, 20:49
Looking to do some diving in Arizona.

Could anyone direct me to a site or two?

Thanks!

SynCitizen
10-19-2008, 22:09
Along the Az. / Nv. border there is Lake mead and Lake Mojave. There's even a B-29 that went down in the Overton arm of the lake in July of '48.

ScubaDude
10-19-2008, 22:24
Way cool! Thanks, I'll look into that!

Keep in touch.

rawalker
10-19-2008, 22:24
Most of the Phoenix area divers that dive locally dive Lake Pleasant. This time of year the lake is low and visibility is down to 5-10 feet for most of the shore diving on weekends. During the week conditions may be a bit better with less boat traffic. There are a couple of dive boats that take trips on the lake to deeper areas and some clearer water.

ScubaDude
10-19-2008, 22:28
I'll look into that, as well,.....thanks rawalker!

pir8
10-20-2008, 15:07
I was out that way this summer and dove the Colorodo River at a spot called Willow Beach.

ScubaDude
10-20-2008, 18:49
Thanks pir8,

Much appreciated.

pir8
10-20-2008, 19:59
I was out that way this summer and dove the Colorodo River at a spot called Willow Beach.
Its just below Hoover Dam

ScubaDude
10-20-2008, 21:05
Cool, I'll just do a base jump off the dam with my gear on!

pir8, feel free to add me to your buddy list. The more dive buddies I have, the greater the opportunity to dive.

Thanks again.

SynCitizen
10-20-2008, 22:49
ScubaDude, when are you planning on doing your diving? Our local group has some group dives/bbqs/events coming up and your more than welcome to kick it with us and have some fun.

ScubaDude
10-20-2008, 23:15
SynCitizen,

Thanks for the awesome invite, much appreciated!

Just scratching the surface on some dive plans for November '09, but add me to your buddy list and keep in touch, man!

Hey, that's a great looking bike, by the way.

Before I go, can you direct me to any hunting guides out there? Don't go out of your way to find one, but if you know something that would be cool, too.

Thanks bro, and be safe.

SynCitizen
10-21-2008, 11:38
This year, next year or five years from now the invitation is an open one.
Thanks on the bike.... My first true passion is riding. Getting older and a little more fragile is one reason why I have gotten back into diving after taking an 8 year break. No less dangerous but a little slower and the view is unbeatable.
Sorry I don't know anyone in the hunting scene.

ScubaDude
10-21-2008, 19:47
Thanks again Syn,

Yea, scuba is much more of a low-impact sport for me, too. Skydiving was great, but 65 seconds of freefall is no comparison to bottom time.

diversteve
10-23-2008, 02:04
Try www.southwestscuba.com (http://www.southwestscuba.com) for trip reports/pictures on what to expect at both Lake Pleasant in Phoenix as well as Lake Mohave on the AZ/CA border. The site belongs to a local diver who moved to SoFL so it hasn't been updated in a couple of years but still has good info.

If you're on Scubaboard, the Southwest SandSharks forum (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/southwest-sand-sharks/) has a couple of updated threads on regular dives at Lake Pleasant. It's surprisingly cold water diving since the lake is indirectly fed by mountain runoff from the north.

Sin City Scuba is one of two companies authorized to dive the B29:
Dive the Bomber - Sin City Scuba Dive Charters (http://www.divethebomber.com/)
The other is Tech Diving Limited out of Lake Havasu:
Dive The B-29 with Tech Diving Limited! (http://www.divetheb29.com/)

There's also some diving in Lake Havasu but I've never dove there. From what I've heard the viz is hit or miss. Ask TDL.

Lake Mead is really low due to years of drought. Most people find Mohave a better alternative.

brains
10-23-2008, 08:17
Thanks again Syn,

Yea, scuba is much more of a low-impact sport for me, too. Skydiving was great, but 65 seconds of freefall is no comparison to bottom time.

Should have been freeflying:smiley2:

ScubaDude
10-23-2008, 19:09
I hear ya brains, but that wasn't even an option at the time I was jumping.

That weird head-down RW was just getting on the seen.

ScubaDude
10-23-2008, 19:13
Try www.southwestscuba.com (http://www.southwestscuba.com) for trip reports/pictures on what to expect at both Lake Pleasant in Phoenix as well as Lake Mohave on the AZ/CA border. The site belongs to a local diver who moved to SoFL so it hasn't been updated in a couple of years but still has good info.

If you're on Scubaboard, the Southwest SandSharks forum (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/southwest-sand-sharks/) has a couple of updated threads on regular dives at Lake Pleasant. It's surprisingly cold water diving since the lake is indirectly fed by mountain runoff from the north.

Sin City Scuba is one of two companies authorized to dive the B29:
Dive the Bomber - Sin City Scuba Dive Charters (http://www.divethebomber.com/)
The other is Tech Diving Limited out of Lake Havasu:
Dive The B-29 with Tech Diving Limited! (http://www.divetheb29.com/)

There's also some diving in Lake Havasu but I've never dove there. From what I've heard the viz is hit or miss. Ask TDL.

Lake Mead is really low due to years of drought. Most people find Mohave a better alternative.

Thanks diversteve, great info!

Kimusubi
10-26-2008, 08:55
I'm a Arizona resident and I'll personally tell you that the visibility at Lake Pleasant is absolutely terrible. Right now it's about 3-5 feet of visibility, and absolutely no fish to be seen. If you take a boat to a deeper part of the lake, you might have a better chance of seeing something, but I wouldn't be on it. If you're looking for skydiving, however, one of the best drop zones in the USA in my opinion is SkyDiveAZ over on the way to Tuscon. Weather right now is perfect for skydiving here in AZ.

With that said, I'm actually looking for a place to dive next Wednesday and I'm wondering if anyone knew a place over in Arizona with decent amount of visibility to dive into. If anyone can help me please let me know.

Also, I'm fairly new and am looking for a few dive buddies out in Arizona, I only know a handful right now and most of them are too busy or too advance to dive with little old me. If anyone lives around here, PM me, and maybe we can go around diving.

scubastud
10-26-2008, 10:12
I live in Litchfield Park, my dive buddy is currently in Iraq (my son).
Would love to get some dives in... took open water in Pleasant but thats it... drop me a line!

ScubaDude
10-26-2008, 12:06
I'm a Arizona resident and I'll personally tell you that the visibility at Lake Pleasant is absolutely terrible. Right now it's about 3-5 feet of visibility, and absolutely no fish to be seen. If you take a boat to a deeper part of the lake, you might have a better chance of seeing something, but I wouldn't be on it. If you're looking for skydiving, however, one of the best drop zones in the USA in my opinion is SkyDiveAZ over on the way to Tuscon. Weather right now is perfect for skydiving here in AZ.

With that said, I'm actually looking for a place to dive next Wednesday and I'm wondering if anyone knew a place over in Arizona with decent amount of visibility to dive into. If anyone can help me please let me know.

Also, I'm fairly new and am looking for a few dive buddies out in Arizona, I only know a handful right now and most of them are too busy or too advance to dive with little old me. If anyone lives around here, PM me, and maybe we can go around diving.

Thanks!

Kimusubi
10-26-2008, 13:45
It looks like there's been a change in plans, I can go diving on this coming Sunday, Nov. 2nd. If anyone is interested in coming, please let me know. I want to get out to Colorado river, or anywhere else with good vis.

ScubaDude
10-26-2008, 19:13
That's quite a commute for me!

Kimusubi
10-26-2008, 20:06
I'm talking about the Nevada/Arizona border. When are you coming down to AZ? Maybe we can go dive somewhere when you come down here.

ScubaDude
10-26-2008, 22:18
I'm talking about the Nevada/Arizona border. When are you coming down to AZ? Maybe we can go dive somewhere when you come down here.

I'm gathering information for tentative plans November '09.

My brother lives in Scottsdale and he'll probably be working when I come to visit him, so I'm looking to do some diving to pass the time.

When the time comes, I'm gonna contact everyone who has replied to this thread in hopes of meeting and diving, etc.

Thanks!

scubastud
10-27-2008, 05:59
I'm in!

Kimusubi
10-27-2008, 09:01
Are you expressing interest in my offer? Or something else?

msprzeor
11-05-2008, 02:18
Shoot us an email when you get closer, we're always headed to the lake for diving and the salt river might should be some decent diving in November! You can reach my husband and I here -- www.salvavidascuba.com

ScubaDude
11-05-2008, 18:00
Thanks msprzeor, I sure will! :smiley20: