PDA

View Full Version : Nitrox

rfreddo
08-16-2007, 10:08
Not having been involved with diving in the past, I'm curious where we are in the evolution of nitrox use. In other words, is it anticipated that there will always be both air divers and nitrox divers, or is there a shift in progress that will eventually result in everyone using some form of nitrox?

Mainly a curiosity, but also relevant to the decision of whether to purchase a nitrox computer with my initial gear purchases.

Thank you!

TAH 73
08-16-2007, 10:18
With Nitrox you have the ability to dive safer, and have less physical stress than diving with just air. When I did my first Nitrox dives, even though they weren't pushing limits I came up refreshed, and at the end of the dive days was less tired which ended up with a more enjoyable dive trip.
People tout the increased cost of Nitrox fills, $15, vs $8 at the LDS, so say you have done 6 dives over a couple of days, $50 is the difference, a 3 day trip, factor in the extras, the $50 is probably the least you will spend on the entire trip.
With the minimal cost in the difference from a air only/vs a Nitrox computer I would get the Nitrox capable one.
It's a little cheaper to get a Nitrox one right off, rather than get an air only one, and then need to get a Nitrox one later on.

thesmoothdome
08-16-2007, 10:23
There will always be a place for air diving, but Nitrox diving has definite benefits that are too hard to ignore, especially for repetative diving. Lower nitrogen uptake = less chance for DCS. Will you be able to dive your entire life only on air? Of course. People have been doing that since the sport started. Will nitrox continue to grow in popularity? Definately. Again, we're always interested in increased safety and nitrox definately adds to that.

TxHockeyGuy
08-16-2007, 10:36
Nitrox has definitely moved to mainstream recreational use but I don't see it replacing air anytime soon. There are many misconceptions about nitrox but it is really all about reducing the amount of nitrogen in your tank and thus how much nitrogen you on gas. This is what your tables track, nitrogen on gassing and when you have on gassed too much you have to go up (your NDL). By reducing your nitrogen loading you can do one of two things.

1. If you do not dive to your NDL you can increase your safety because you are diving more conservatively.

2. If you are diving to your NDL you can get additional bottom time because of the reduced nitrogen in the tank.

There are however other considerations with Nitrox. You can't dive it as deep as air, you will learn this in your Nitrox class.

Long story short, get the Nitrox computer now and eventually take the Nitrox class. Nitrox can be very useful for particular dives and especially multi day diving where you really start to load up on the nitrogen. Nitrox computers are not that much more expensive and Nitrox classes aren't that expensive either.

cummings66
08-16-2007, 14:49
I'd agree that Nitrox will probably not replace air for diving in my lifetime, but you will find that a Nitrox computer isn't that much more than an air only version and so it's a good idea to get it now.

Nitrox is a stepping stone to more advanced diving as well. Any deco courses or technical courses will require the course, plus others.

ScaredSilly
08-16-2007, 16:09
1. If you do not dive to your NDL you can increase your safety because you are diving more conservatively.

2. If you are diving to your NDL you can get additional bottom time because of the reduced nitrogen in the tank.

Both of the above and several of the other posts are a bit misleading because they are not put into the correct context. What NDL are you talking about the one for air or for the paticular nitrox being used?

Anytime you lessen that amount of nitrogen intake you lessen the chance for a nitrogen related injury. It does not matter what the O2 percentage is.
Also, you do not get additional bottom time because of nitrox when diving to the NDL.

What I think you trying to say is the following:

When diving the same profile on nitrox as compared to air there will be less nitrogen loading. This in turn allows a longer NDL than if on air to the same depth. Often to be more conservative people will dive nitrox but use air "tables" which will help limit their nitrogen exposure. In either case, extending the NDL as compared to air or using air "tables" while using nitrox, it is necessary to also track the overall increased exposure to oxygen.

IMHO nitrox is no safer or nor dangerous than air. It is is just another tool.

Edit - after saying all that, get a computer with nitrox and take a nitrox class as it will help you understand more about the whats and whys of diving gasses.

Vercingetorix
08-16-2007, 16:56
Long story short, get the Nitrox computer now and eventually take the Nitrox class. Nitrox can be very useful for particular dives and especially multi day diving where you really start to load up on the nitrogen. Nitrox computers are not that much more expensive and Nitrox classes aren't that expensive either.Following on, even if you don't plan to use Nitrox now, give yourself the option in the future and buy the Nitrox-capable computer. Otherwise, the entry cost of purchasing a Nitrox computer in the future may cause you to delay learning Nitrox diving.

Buoyant1
08-16-2007, 20:33
I can feel a physical difference whether I dive air or Nitrox. I feel better tht next day on Nitrox, and feel very run down the next day on air.

I like the longer NDL's as well.

One huge consideration is that I'm over 40, and have a hard earned "grain storage facility" and with the increased age and "density" I think that I'm better off diving Nitrox. The price is a little steep...but I think worth it! (my LDS charges $12.50 to fill my 119)