PDA

View Full Version : Intova=boo!

megzuwo
10-21-2008, 10:01
Ha, I believe my title explains part of my issue. Where I'm currently deployed we have a LDS that I actually work at on the weekends. It's great, love it, except we have one option and one option only for a digital underwater camera, the Intova 800.

Now, I'm a professional videographer (fill in as photographer) for the military and have been working with such equipment for 6 years now, so I know I can take a fairly decent photo with no issues--especially not focus issues. While at work I took out and played with our newest installment of the Intova's and they're TERRIBLE! I cannot get the color right above water, how the heck can you fix it below?! Not only that but I can take a photo of a completely stationary object, ie: the masks hanging on display, and it's as fuzzy as if I forgot the flash and decided to run laps on the floor-room. And with all my might, trust me, I have tried to get a fish to hold still just so I can look at it, sqirmy bastards, but I have this deep set feeling that they just won't cooperate for my little personal camera.

While the military has issued me some ovelry-fancy underwater equpiment, it's huge, bulkey, and not mine so I thought I'd get my own underwater camera for just fun dives. My long winded crying above pretty much is me asking: Have I gone pathetic on simply point-and-clicks? Or is the Intova 800 really that bad? (I tried almost ALL of the camera's at the shop). And if so, can I trust buying the Nikon Underwater Digital Camera for sale on ST? I really am a fan of beign able to later buy a wide-angle-conversion lens for it.

I'm a terrible skeptic at online-buying and trusting things, but thanks to Uncle Sam and my deployment it's almost become a necessity. Thanks for any help!!!

rawalker
10-21-2008, 12:27
Thanks for the review I was interested in weather that setup was worth the price. Too bad it specs out nice features but doesn't deliver quality photography.
I guess I'll wait for the Sea & Sea DX1200 HD and see what kind of reviews it gets.

FishFood
10-21-2008, 17:38
To put in bluntly... get what ya pay for.

Have I gone pathetic on simply point-and-clicks? Or is the Intova 800 really that bad?

Both.

If you're used to using a fully manual DSLR set up... the PnS won't satisfy you. Especially underwater, where needing manual controls are amplifide.

dbh
10-21-2008, 18:24
It amazes me that people actually buy crap like Sea Life and the Sea & Sea point-and-shoots (Sea & Sea makes great DSLR housings though). Money would be better spent getting a Nikon or Canon compact that has manual control and preferrably shoots RAW. The Canon G9 has both of these capabilities. when not in a housing, they are great topside cameras too. You can house a G9 for about the price of the Sea***. Another area not to skimp on (IMHO) is strobes. A good strobe is fairly expensive, but should last you through several camera set-ups. ST as well as the major underwater camera retailers (Reef Photo & Backscatter) all ship overseas, so it is pretty risk free. If you are unsure, call their toll-free numbers and pick their brains (make 'em earn your business).

Of course all of this is MHO and YMMV.

HTH,
Dave

rawalker
10-21-2008, 21:32
It amazes me that people actually buy crap like Sea Life and the Sea & Sea point-and-shoots (Sea & Sea makes great DSLR housings though). Money would be better spent getting a Nikon or Canon compact that has manual control and preferrably shoots RAW. The Canon G9 has both of these capabilities. when not in a housing, they are great topside cameras too. You can house a G9 for about the price of the Sea***. Another area not to skimp on (IMHO) is strobes. A good strobe is fairly expensive, but should last you through several camera set-ups. ST as well as the major underwater camera retailers (Reef Photo & Backscatter) all ship overseas, so it is pretty risk free. If you are unsure, call their toll-free numbers and pick their brains (make 'em earn your business).

Of course all of this is MHO and YMMV.

HTH,
Dave

When you consider the quality of the housings available for compact point and shoots from and for the name brand camera manufacturers vs the packaged underwater P&S from Sea & Sea and Sealife it is easy to understand. The housings made by the Fantasea are overpriced (IMHO) and Ikelite are overkill and overpriced for most recreational underwater shutterbugs. The Sealife and Sea&Sea housings are well made and compact (again IMHO) the cameras has specialized underwater setting to help out noobs and the latest cameras are coming to the show with nice features.
The new Sea&Sea has specs and features the real question is will it deliver quality shots.
Shooting RAW although a nice feature is something geared more towards advanced shooters. Nearly all cameras do have the ability but it is either disabled by the manufacturers or needs a firmware hack.
Even without RAW a experienced photographer will generally make a cheaper camera look good by shooting within the cameras limits while a inexperienced photographer with the best of DSLR will often miss great photo opportunities because they are inexperienced and overwhelmed by the technology in their hands.
Personally I prefer advanced P&S over DSLR for diving and to me size matters The new crop of little cameras with large LCD, high pixel counts, and large memory capacity are what I'm looking at. I've looked at Fuji, Nikon and Canon and while researching found that Sea&Sea is about to release a new model that should be of interest.

RoyN
10-22-2008, 12:05
Never did like the Intova cameras. I pretty much avoid every camera that is made for underwater and instead, just go with the Canon camera and its housing (except the oval housing). The Sea & sea camera although pretty good is kinda expensive in my opinion as I got the Canon and the housing for less then $300 bucks on Amazon or look on Craigslist as there are lots of "vacation" divers who buy them and then just let it sit around the house until they find it and decides to sell it. The strobes by Sea & sea are pretty good as with the Inon strobes. If I had more money, I would get the Inon strobe for the TTL feature. But all of my strobes, I never paid full price. Otherwise, I'll stick to Canon and maybe Olympus.

ndv21
10-22-2008, 12:18
I have been looking into getting into UW photos, and I think I will give the Sea Life DC600 a try. Any thoughts? reviews?

FishFood
10-22-2008, 15:25
I have been looking into getting into UW photos, and I think I will give the Sea Life DC600 a try. Any thoughts? reviews?

It's a pretty cheap camera, but with Scubatoys closing them out at $300... it's a fair deal.

ndv21
10-22-2008, 15:34
I have seen some pictures taken with this camera and they look fairly decent. I'm not looking into proffesional quality but just having a nice record for my dives. Thanks!

rawalker
10-22-2008, 22:41

The reported battery life on the DC600 has been a factor. Report say the DC800 doesn't suffer from the same problem.

teerlkay
11-20-2008, 23:30
started w/sealife - not a fan
now w/canon powershot a series - much better IMO