PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain after diving

Spence
10-22-2008, 12:49
Hi,

I'm a relatively new diver--24 dives to date. I recently bought a Zeagle Escape BCD, which I love (comfortable, etc), but have noticed that after diving I've got a lot of lower back stiffness and a bit of pain. Especially the next day. This is similar to what I experience after shovelling snow, which I do a lot of in New England. I hadn't noticed the stiffness or pain after diving with the rental BCs I was using before buying the Escape.

I'm wondering if any of you have similar problems. Is it simply a matter of stretching before diving? Should I consider buying the lumbar support that Zeagle makes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

WV Diver
10-22-2008, 13:29
The first thing I would try is a different BC. This will help isolate the problem. Since you didn't have the pain before, diving a different BC for a day or two, may point at or eliminate the Zeagle BCD. It would be great if you could get your hands on the exact one you have used in the past.

I dive a Zeagle but am not familiar with the Escape.

I have found in the past that if your tank is even slightly loose it will create back problems. The tank bounces or rolls back and forth and causes pain. This is much more noticeable underwater by the way.This happened with my Sherwood Avid.

It isn't because the tank is loose in the tank strap(s), it is because the tank strap was not correctly laced onto the BC. The top one was fine and the bottom one was wrong. Took a minute to find the problem.

You get the idea. Check it over good. A lumbar support will likely cure the problem but that is just another 1lb or so you have to carry.

I went from the Sherwood Avid to a Zeagle, SS BP/W and dropped 4 lbs immediately. If it is extra padding it will require more weight. This doesn't help the back either.

The BP is 6lbs, it's all I wear. Of course, it also distributes the weight over more area. There is definitely a noticeable difference. Also good for the back. I don't have back problems but it is a good ad for the BP/W lovers.:smiley9:

3rdEye
10-22-2008, 13:40
i read an article in a magazine about this issue with divers...and it happens to me. it's probably not so much the BC, but more you tightening up your lower back. The back pad won't do diddly.

so, I have found that especially when you're still figuring out your trim issues, and staying horizontal in the water, that arching your back will cause some discomfort initially. the more dives i do, the less it bothers me. Now, I don't know exactly what you're doing, but my instrcutor described the ideal trim position as a skydiving position. Think of what sky divers do - they arch their backs, lay horizontal, legs straight back and bent at the knees.

Like I said, the more I dive, the less it bothers me. I might look into some lower back strengthening exercises, most likely what you are experiencing is fatigue. If it really inhibits you, as in a spinal problem, then I might consider visiting a chiro.

my 2 psi.

shawnwill36
10-22-2008, 18:33
i had back pain before i started diving. since being in the water i dont have much problem with it at all

shawnwill36
10-22-2008, 18:36
i meant to ad, i will say that your body will tell ya what isnt good and what is ok. if it starts to hurt, try and find a new way of doing it. also, stretching your hamstring will help. but do it while lying on your back . dont just bend over and stretched that will make it worse

oddbod
10-23-2008, 05:01
A lot of it has to do with your trim, and unconsciously you may be using your back muscles to rectify the problem. Go back to a BC set-up you were using before, get your trim right without using your back and then try swapping over again adjusting the trim on the new BC, it may take some trial and error.
I used to have lower back problems, initially went to a weight-intergrated BC with upper and lower weight pockets and have now also swapped over to a BPW as recommended above. Good luck and just keep trying.

WV Diver
10-23-2008, 05:32
Shawn, you can add to an existing post by clicking on the edit button of the post you wish to add to or change. :smiley20:

No need to make another post.:)

divingyogini
10-23-2008, 22:02
Do you get back pain from other activities? Because that would indicate a general muscle imbalance that you can correct through exercise.

It might be your fin technique as many people arch their back when they fin because their glute muscles are lazy. Next time try consciously squeezing your stomach/engaging your abs and draw your leg to the upward part of the fin stroke by squeezing your glutes/tightening your butt.

And stretching after always helps. My favorite to relieve a sore back is lying spinal twist.

nikefreekz
10-24-2008, 02:23
i do get stiff back, but only after prolong diving. so what i do usually is give the back a good stretch before the start of each diving day, helps me

petronius
10-26-2008, 22:18
I've been working on this as well, and I think it's a problem of trying to control trim by arching my body - it seems that as I move my tank higher or lower on the BC (it's a LP steel tank) I feel more or less post-dive tightness.

On the other hand, the second place I experience dehydration is in lower back pain (the first symptom tends to be irritation/crankiness)...

ektess1
11-28-2008, 18:32
I also experience low back pain. I have a bad back from rearranging my rib cage while skiing, (dam those trees hurt). When I dive my bc moves around. It is too large now that I lost 30 lbs. I arch to keep in trim. I figure that enough time spent in the water, and a new bpw, will take care of the pain.

dannybot
11-29-2008, 08:10
Hi,

I'm a relatively new diver--24 dives to date. I recently bought a Zeagle Escape BCD, which I love (comfortable, etc), but have noticed that after diving I've got a lot of lower back stiffness and a bit of pain. Especially the next day. This is similar to what I experience after shovelling snow, which I do a lot of in New England. I hadn't noticed the stiffness or pain after diving with the rental BCs I was using before buying the Escape.

I'm wondering if any of you have similar problems. Is it simply a matter of stretching before diving? Should I consider buying the lumbar support that Zeagle makes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you get new fins too? Some of the larger paddle fins provide a good deal of resistance, and you could be over doing it, try kicking softer, or going to your former setup.

tndiverdude
12-07-2008, 22:55
I get this from from everything. Of course i Have two compressed disks. So for me I tried the different BC. What I found was surface interval of just being with out weight and swimming on my back helps.

jimmy