PDA

View Full Version : ScubaPro

Drewskey
10-23-2008, 10:36
Alright,

I bought my wife and myself a set of ScubaPro Twin Jet Max fins from our LDS about a month ago give or take a few weeks. I went in to the shop last week only to find out that SP is now shipping the T.J.M. Fins w/spring straps with not additional fee. My dealer basically gave me the ya that sucks for you. I emailed SP's After Sales Product Support guy and got this reply:

"Dear Diver

Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment. You will need to talk to the dealer regarding this issue."

Don't get me wrong, I love the SP stuff that I have bought, but their support all around pretty much is the pits. This is not my first run in w/ SP, nor will it be the last. Any suggestions as to what I can do? I feel a little jipped by this move. Did my dealer not know that they were going to ship w/ spring straps? Did he sell them to me knowing so that he could move the 'old' product to get the new and improved on his shelves quicker? Any help is wanted.

nikefreekz
10-23-2008, 10:48
i seriously think it's really down to the LDS, i bet he knows that he will be getting shipment with spring straps

Drewskey
10-23-2008, 11:24
Why I would hope not, my gut feeling tells me you are right. I would like to see the memo from SP they sent to the dealers...and the date - cross check that with my purchase date.

nikefreekz
10-23-2008, 11:29
and how are you planning to get your hands on the memo? chances are your LDS will refuse showing it to you and insisting on their story ...

Drewskey
10-23-2008, 11:36
"I would like..." - Yes, I would like...

"chances are your LDS will refuse showing it to you and insisting on their story ..." - He has played the I didn't know game before.

CompuDude
10-23-2008, 13:42
I have to back ScubaPro on this one. Just because a manufacturer releases a new, updated piece of gear doesn't really imply they have a duty or obligation to take the older equipment back. There's nothing wrong with the older equipment, it's just that new stuff came out now that's better. That's the way of life. Gee, I wish Honda would just "give" me a new 2008 car, since I just bought my 2007 less than a month before the 2008 one came out... clearly Honda sucks and is mean to their customers. :smiley29:

If it's been less than a month, perhaps you can work something out with your LDS... but that all comes down to how good your LDS is, had what their specific return policy is, and has nothing to do with ScubaPro. There is nothing actually wrong with your fins, you just like the new ones better. I like the new Sony LCD TVs better than the old ones, too, but I don't really expect Best Buy to hand me a free upgraded version just because new ones came out... and I don't really fault Sony for that, either.

Or did I misread something in the telling of this tale of woe?

ScubaPro actually has a long history of supporting their gear for years longer than other manufacturers. They still sell service kits... and UPGRADE kits... for regulators they made more than 20 years ago. They still honor the LIFETIME warranty on their Jet fins. But the warranty, as with most manufacturers, has to do with something being WRONG with the unit they sold you; it's not a "free upgrades for life" warranty.

Drewskey
10-23-2008, 14:16
Just because a manufacturer releases a new, updated piece of gear doesn't really imply they have a duty or obligation to take the older equipment back.
Agreed. I'll input more below.

Gee, I wish Honda would just "give" me a new 2008 car, since I just bought my 2007 less than a month before the 2008 one came out... clearly Honda sucks and is mean to their customers.

Sarcasm aside, no they are not mean, they are doing business. I agree with you. But, everyone and their mom knows that Honda is going to release new versions of many, if not all, of their current lineup next year. Not the same with diving equip.

If it's been less than a month, perhaps you can work something out with your LDS...but that all comes down to how good your LDS is...

Well, when I asked about when they started included the spring strap, I was told not long ago... whatever time frame that means. What really got my blood hot was the next words out of his mouth was, "You can buy them for $40 bucks a pair from me, you will be saving $60 because they used to sell them for $100."

There is nothing actually wrong with your fins, you just like the new ones better.
I would say improved. But agreed once again.

Or did I misread something in the telling of this tale of woe?

We all need to vent sometimes about trivial things. You are correct though in your thought process. As stated before, I just feel a little pissed about how my LDS handled the situation. Thanks for the input. I feel a little calmer.

CompuDude
10-23-2008, 15:22
We all need to vent sometimes about trivial things. You are correct though in your thought process. As stated before, I just feel a little pissed about how my LDS handled the situation. Thanks for the input. I feel a little calmer.

I hear ya... My main objection was that the venting was partially directed at ScubaPro, which was very much not at fault here. The LDS guy in question definitely sounds like a tool, based on his response. I'd be steamed, too. I hope, for your sake, that you have more than one option. :smiley21:

Skred
10-23-2008, 15:28
What really got my blood hot was the next words out of his mouth was, "You can buy them for $40 bucks a pair from me, you will be saving $60 because they used to sell them for $100."

Does this LDS sell used cars on the side, by any chance? What a greaseball...:smiley21:

Drewskey
10-23-2008, 15:33
...I hope, for your sake, that you have more than one option. :smiley21:

Three actually. Amazing I know. They all have their toolish ways however.

Don Wray
10-23-2008, 15:38
Agree with Compudude

Rileybri
10-23-2008, 15:45
What I don't get is why you are bummed you got free spring straps replacing the rubber ones that will break on you when you need them the most? Is there a reason you don't like them??

SkuaSeptember
10-23-2008, 16:14
It took me 12 years to finally break a fin strap, so I'm not in the camp that feels the need to switch to springs. That being said, I'm not sure that everyone would feel that you missed out on an upgrade. Just to add a little more from the retailers perspective - your LDS sold you a product that they had already bought and paid for. They make a living transfering ownership of this product to you and other divers. Why should they take a financial hit in this instance? Would you feel that they should offer you something if a new color was introduced that you like better?

Largo
10-23-2008, 17:05
Sorry, but.

I am not impressed with ScubaPro. I like the G250V Regulator, and their tank straps. But, beyond that, to me, it seems like it's mostly hype.

Drewskey
10-23-2008, 19:12
What I don't get is why you are bummed you got free spring straps replacing the rubber ones that will break on you when you need them the most? Is there a reason you don't like them??

I didn't..that is why I am bummed. Less than a month later they have them free with them.

ScubaDude
10-23-2008, 21:45
Drewskey,

Water under the bridge, move on.

It's just a case of "they don't know you yet".

Once you've established yourself as a "regular" in the dive shops, you'll be well on your way to getting the deals you deserve.

Hang in there.

Rileybri
10-23-2008, 22:29

I didn't..that is why I am bummed. Less than a month later they have them free with them.

Ahhh IC that makes more sense! Unfortunately I think this is a situation where you don't have much recourse. On the plus side just think of it as an opportunity for a DIY project to build your own set of spring straps the way you want them!

Diver Kat
10-23-2008, 22:46
If the LDS was smart, he'd offer you the springs at a real discount. Otherwise I would guess you're business will be going elsewhere.

nikefreekz
10-24-2008, 02:03
Sometimes we as consumers, we really need to do our research before making purchase, i think this is a perfect example... like what someone else pointed out, if you're a regular with your LDS, things like this probably wouldn't have happened... we all get less than ideal deals sometime somewhere...

SynCitizen
10-24-2008, 02:31
If you really feel shafted by the LDS, hit them where it'll hurt the most. Take your business elsewhere.

cajunfla
10-24-2008, 04:21
My first thoughts were that the LDS already had the new fins in a warehouse, or at least had them on order. I would assume that SP told all of their dealers that a new fin version would be shipping. The LDS usually will try to move old stock out first before new items are placed in view of the buying public. They do not want to be stuck with 50 items on the old stock. It's just good business practice.

Zenagirl
10-24-2008, 07:47
The measure of good customer service is not when there's never a problem, but what the response to the problem is. I'd say that your LDS doesn't care much about customer service or you as a customer.

I totally disagree with ScubaDude...you shouldn't have to prove yourself as a customer before getting good deals. This is about business, not joining a club. IMO that LDS made a huge mistake by not bending over backward for Drewsky...instead could easily have offered to sell the spring straps at cost. As it stands, if this were me, I'd likely not be doing much (if any) business with an LDS like this.

ScubaDude
10-24-2008, 17:09
The measure of good customer service is not when there's never a problem, but what the response to the problem is. I'd say that your LDS doesn't care much about customer service or you as a customer.

I totally disagree with ScubaDude...you shouldn't have to prove yourself as a customer before getting good deals. This is about business, not joining a club. IMO that LDS made a huge mistake by not bending over backward for Drewsky...instead could easily have offered to sell the spring straps at cost. As it stands, if this were me, I'd likely not be doing much (if any) business with an LDS like this.

I don't think you should have to prove yourself, either. But unfortunately, we're not the one's making those decisions.

Zenagirl
10-25-2008, 08:55
I don't think you should have to prove yourself, either. But unfortunately, we're not the one's making those decisions.

Agreed.

Splitlip
10-25-2008, 17:43
For heaven's sake. We are talking about fin straps here.

Scubapro is now giving away a $500.00 computer as well.

How many people have bought big SUV's, then a month later oil goes through the roof so the dealers start giving "employee pricing". How about the people who bought homes yesterday while today in the same subdivision the developer is dicounting a $100K?

It is business. It is the economy. Suck it up and move on. You got off cheap.

Oh, BTW, I have been diving Scubapro for 35 years. They have always taken care of me.

divechaplain-sara
10-25-2008, 20:49
Drewskey,

Water under the bridge, move on.

It's just a case of "they don't know you yet".

Once you've established yourself as a "regular" in the dive shops, you'll be well on your way to getting the deals you deserve.

Hang in there.

The dive shop shouldn't have to know you to treat you right. Treating me right is the way I become a regular.

However, I tend to agree with Compudude on this whole issue. If the dive shop knew that a new and improved version was coming out in two days, it would have been good of them to let you know that but if you were satisfied enough with your deal that you spent your money and bought them. Then it is a matter of kicking yourself in the rear for not waiting for a better deal to show up. Of course sometimes you wait and the deal is worse.

Buying gear is kind of like marriage, once you settle on a partner, you real should quit shopping--looking to see what else is out there.

ScubaDude
10-25-2008, 22:05

Agreed.

divechaplain-sara (http://forum.scubatoys.com/members/divechaplain-sara.html)

Please read all posts before making a reply.

Thank you very much.

divechaplain-sara
10-26-2008, 20:18

Agreed.

Thank you very much.

Sorry that you were offended because I expressed my opinion. I was under the impression that was what these boards were for.

Don Wray
10-26-2008, 20:24
Yada, Yada, Yada.....things change all the time. You missed out on the spring straps...live with it. Anybody else think the Chaplain is hot or what?

dewayne405
10-26-2008, 20:51
Not really, but like others have pointed out, sometimes things happen... Whether or not the LDS knew it was coming, you'll probably never even know...

Heck I should be pissed... 1 month after purchasing my Knighthawk with AIR2, MK17/G250v, and S600... they began giving away a free computer with that package...

Its called life... Its not FAIR, but then its life, not Fantasyland...

ScubaDude
10-26-2008, 21:04

Agreed.

Thank you very much.

Sorry that you were offended because I expressed my opinion. I was under the impression that was what these boards were for.

No offense taken, I'm an easy-going guy. Just figured you might have "jumped the gun", so to speak.