PDA

View Full Version : Datamask problem

saltfly
10-23-2008, 12:51
Well, call it a dive shop problem. I was travelling on business, and killed some time in a dive shop near D.C. After they took me thru their demo DataMask, I was hooked. I bought one at a great price, but idiot that I am I did not test the one in the box (which appeared brand new). I tested it when I got home to find it was dead. Opened up the battery compartment to find an exploded battery, some water, and a bunch of corrosion. Of course the shop is 200 miles away (lesson, there) so refund/replacement not as easy as it should be. I'm leaving to dive Florida on Tuesday. They were apologetic and helpful, and now with the help of FEDEX I hope to have a new one in hand before Tuesday. Obvious lessons here, huh?

ScubaJ
10-23-2008, 13:40
Ya, that sucks.

I probably would not have thought to check a brand new mask either.
Lesson learned.....

PaulThomas
10-23-2008, 14:18
I don't check things as often as I should, but I've learned that I'm better off taking the time to do so. I'm becoming a pain in the rear when I buy things, asking all kind of question regarding the long term use and care.

Drewskey
10-23-2008, 14:28
Who cares? It's not your rear that hurts! If you don't ask lots of questions, then it might be yours indeed!

Charles R
10-23-2008, 14:51
What shop took care of it the one in DC? or was it the Manufacture? Sounds like they are taking care of the issue glad to hear they are not as bad as some.

PaulThomas
10-23-2008, 15:11
Who cares? It's not your rear that hurts! If you don't ask lots of questions, then it might be yours indeed!
:smiley20:
That's why I ask the questions, but I always feel a little strange about it. I used to be one of these shoppers that would, at best, give a quick glance at my options before picking something and getting out of there. I used to equate it to pulling over and asking for directions; real men don't get lost :smiley2:

It's almost as if asking a salesman questions about a product he's trying to sell is committing me to buy from him now even though I haven't had an opportunity to look at what else is out there. I'm getting better at it.

ScubaDude
10-25-2008, 20:52
Well, call it a dive shop problem. I was travelling on business, and killed some time in a dive shop near D.C. After they took me thru their demo DataMask, I was hooked. I bought one at a great price, but idiot that I am I did not test the one in the box (which appeared brand new). I tested it when I got home to find it was dead. Opened up the battery compartment to find an exploded battery, some water, and a bunch of corrosion. Of course the shop is 200 miles away (lesson, there) so refund/replacement not as easy as it should be. I'm leaving to dive Florida on Tuesday. They were apologetic and helpful, and now with the help of FEDEX I hope to have a new one in hand before Tuesday. Obvious lessons here, huh?

Water?

Sorry to say, but it seems to me that you bought a returned item which was new enough to pass as new at first glance.

I can see an exploded/corroded battery, but think about it,...water?

Hope you get the replacement soon.

ScubaDude
10-25-2008, 21:15
Took the time to check out the Datamask online, and all I can say is damn, that looks to be one nice piece of equipment.

The reason I checked it out was to try and find any info in regards to pre-sale testing.

Didn't find any evidence of the tests, but it doesn't mean that the tests are not conducted.

It just bugs the @#%& out of me that you found evidence of water in the battery compartment.

Until I'm aware of these tests, I can't help but think that you were taken for a ride.

But then again, they're trying to make good by giving you a replacement.

Hmmmmmm. (scratching head)

TommyB
10-26-2008, 11:27
Water in the battery compartment even battery acid from being flooded in saltwater will not hurt the Datamask. I dive the Datamask, prolly over 200 dives on it. And let's just say that the battery compartment has been flooded at least 3 times. Once in saltwater and twice in fresh. Both times flooded was at 180/190 fsw.
It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Just clean it out, let dry , new battery and good as new.

Lj82
10-26-2008, 21:59
Water in the battery compartment even battery acid from being flooded in saltwater will not hurt the Datamask. I dive the Datamask, prolly over 200 dives on it. And let's just say that the battery compartment has been flooded at least 3 times. Once in saltwater and twice in fresh. Both times flooded was at 180/190 fsw.
It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Just clean it out, let dry , new battery and good as new.

That sounds like a very tough mask/computer!
Too bad it is priced way above what I can afford.
I can only dream of owning one.:smiley13:

cummings66
10-27-2008, 08:09
I've seen that issue on other items. I have a Dive Rite 24 Watt HID that I bought and it had water in it from their tests they run. Somehow it got missed and when I went to use it nothing happened. I looked at it and it was corroded pretty bad so I called them up and they took care of it for me. So stuff happens.

saltfly
10-27-2008, 17:19
The shop came thru for me fine. I fedexed the bad one down, they fedexed me a new and functioning one right back. No harm, no foul.

ScubaDude
10-27-2008, 17:26
Awesome!

thagar
10-31-2008, 14:22
I live near DC. Which shop was it?

James1010
11-16-2008, 13:37
I have a question about the data mask. How does it feel while you have it on? Does it feel all bulky and heavy to where you are using extra muscles to hold it up? Do you have any leaking problems and when you get a little water in the mask does it obsure the computer to where you have troubleing seeing the numbers? Sorry I am curious about it. I have seen some ppl wearing them and wanted to know.

saltfly
11-18-2008, 11:15
Sorry, I don't know yet. My Florida trip got small-craft-warning-ed out. But I am going to Cozumel December 7-12, and I'll let you know right after. Enjoy.

Wetnurse28
11-19-2008, 02:05
Doesnt seem that many people have the Oceanic Datamask....Is it not popular. I know its expensive..LOL

figure Ill keep my Oceanic VT3 awhile. Seems to work well

Am curious to hear how it feels and if it is really worth the 1200.00

teerlkay
11-27-2008, 15:53
saltfly (and/or anyone else that owns a datamsk, or aeris equiv)
I too would be very interested on your review.

p.s. don't sit on your mask

TommyB
11-28-2008, 02:17
I have a question about the data mask. How does it feel while you have it on?

Just like any other mask. Actually fits better then some of my other masks when facing a current or a ripping flow in a cave system. I've had low profile masks ripped off my face, ain't going to happen with this mask

Does it feel all bulky and heavy to where you are using extra muscles to hold it up?
No, not sure what extra muscles you could use to hold it up, except maybe your hands :)
Yes, it's a little bulky and you lose some downward angle vision eg if your used to looking at say the area a little above your breasts you lose that due to the depth of the mask. But, no biggie, as most of what you have there should be reachable via muscle memory.

Do you have any leaking problems and when you get a little water in the mask does it obsure the computer to where you have troubleing seeing the numbers?
No, the mask would have to be approx 1/2 way flooded to obscure the readout (numbers).
Seldom leaks. Even facing at a sideways profile to the gates at ginnie springs it will not move the mask enough to leak. It's a heavy mask, but 3 / 4 times wearing it feels like any other mask at depth

Sorry I am curious about it. I have seen some ppl wearing them and wanted to know.Why not ask someone that you've seen to let ya try it on at depth?

I get a lot a grief in the cave diving community for wearing it..but most of them are the DIR types and I'm not -- so I'm pretty much a "dead man walking" anyway according to them :) But then again, I can walk across the street with out an entire team to guide me :smilie39:

thagar
11-28-2008, 20:30
I get a lot a grief in the cave diving community for wearing it..but most of them are the DIR types and I'm not -- so I'm pretty much a "dead man walking" anyway according to them :) But then again, I can walk across the street with out an entire team to guide me :smilie39:

Why are they jealous that you have better equipment or something?