PDA

View Full Version : Any good lobster sites?

paintsnow
10-23-2008, 23:19
A few of my buddies and I are going up to San Diego for lobster Saturday the 1st and since were not from around there we were wondering if anyone has any good dive sites that have some bugs around?

DON
10-24-2008, 09:42
I doubt any lobster hunters will share with you their favorite spot! I and a few friends have chartered a boat (from Long Beach) Nov 15th to San Clemente Island ( Land of the "short lobster") if interested send me an email and I will supply more information

MSilvia
10-24-2008, 10:13
I doubt any lobster hunters will share with you their favorite spot!
Ditto. The surest way to turn a good spot into a lousy one is to tell someone about it. I'm always happy to discuss average lobstering spots, but good ones? Good luck with that.

SkuaSeptember
10-24-2008, 13:01
A few of my buddies and I are going up to San Diego for lobster Saturday the 1st and since were not from around there we were wondering if anyone has any good dive sites that have some bugs around?
You might try adding "We would be happy to treat for lunch and a round or two!":smiley2:

paintsnow
10-24-2008, 21:12
does anyone know of any average spots then?
:smiley4:

Rileybri
10-24-2008, 21:19
Nope sorry no lobsters left, they have all gone to Red Lobster. Don't bother looking as you will just be wasting your air. I checked yesterday.........:smiley2:

MSilvia
10-27-2008, 09:47
does anyone know of any average spots then?
:smiley4:
Yeah, but only on the East coast. Sorry.

cmburch
10-27-2008, 10:01
I just noticed this thread too late. Real Bug hunters (Not the Internet type) may not post a favorite site to the world. But a PM or actually taking a fellow diver out may be in order. Take a look at SpearBoard California Section. I am in Northern California. So if ever wanting to freedive for abalone or spearfish feel free to PM me on SpearBoard.

Secret spots? Post some pics of those itty bitty New England bugs with claws .:smiley20:

MSilvia
10-27-2008, 13:09
Secret spots? Post some pics of those itty bitty New England bugs with claws .:smiley20:
Generally speaking, I'm either diving with a camera OR with lobster gear... rarely both. After wrestling with one WAY too big to be a legal keeper (ballpark weight between 22 and 28 lbs) though, I'm thinking I might start dropping a camera in my pocket when hunting.

utace
10-28-2008, 01:39
I did my open water dives at Catalina Island and there were several lobsters running round the park. Heck, one of my classmates stepped on one.

From what I was told it is a fairly big event there. They have some sort of party and a place for people to cook them up in town. Sorry, I don’t remember when it happens.

The only problem is that is was extremely expensive. Next time I go, I am planning on looking into a camping there rather than staying in a hotel. I was in the cheapest hotel there and it was $155+ a night for a two bedroom place (http://www.hermosahotel.com/ (http://www.hermosahotel.com/)). One of the other group members found some place to camp and it was $10 for as long as he was there I think, but he had to walk up a very long hill and it was a mile, two, or more I think.

If you look for some hotel make sure they allow scuba gear. When I was looking, many of them did not allow scuba gear. The Hermosa did but the “dive locker” was simply an outside closet accessible from the street with a cheap lock. And it’s cleanliness was questionable. Our instructors stayed at the Hotel Atwater, from what I saw it had a nice setup for scuba gear, and it was inside, thus more secure.

Oh, if you go to Catalina to look for them watch out for the seals. One of the works at the dive shop told me about a friend of his. The seal took the lobster right out of his hand and all he saw was a blur.

Good luck.

cmburch
10-29-2008, 15:36
Well we can't get any of these East Coast divers on this thread to post their pics.

Royston from Northern California posted some pics of those itty bitty New England Buggies with claws in the underwater photo section.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/underwater-photo/12935-best-crustaceans-shot-shrimp-crab-lobster-etc-5.html#post240040