PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle 6 cf Pony Bottle System

citykid
08-16-2007, 15:20
Anyone have any opinions on this? Or would you want to make you own? Get a small tank and your choice of 1st & 2nd stages.

Exactly how big is 6cf?

I am looking for a nice small back-up system.

Thanks all.

3rdEye
08-16-2007, 15:26
i've been looking at that, and i think for me, i'd go with a larger - probably 13cf tank. I think the zeagle pony attachment for the Ranger (that goes under the wing) can hold up to that size. I do like the Zeagle Razor reg setup that is included in that pony system though.

medic001918
08-16-2007, 15:29
I agree in going with a larger bottle. The 6 cu. ft. really isn't that big. But it all depends on what type of diving you do and your SAC. You want to have enough gas to ascend and hold your safety stop. Add a little extra for stress to ensure you have an adequate supply. The 6 cu. ft. just wont' really go that far.

Shane

Xspect
08-16-2007, 16:24
when does one decide to use a pony bottle. Im a rec diver that is still an air hog.

citykid
08-16-2007, 22:42
Good input. How big (physically) is a 13cf bottle? I have the Brigade which is actuallt the Ranger but with a smaller bladder.

medic001918
08-16-2007, 23:57
The 13 cu ft. bottle isn't that large. you might want to look into a 20 that's slung on your BC. It's a decent amount of gas to get your through a problem. And the answer about pony's is that anyone can use one. It's simply a means of redundancy. Just know that the gas in your pony is NEVER to be used to extend your dive. You don't plan that you have it. It's there in case of emergency only.

Shane

wxboy911
08-17-2007, 07:28
I was looking at getting a 30cf or a 40cf pony in the future-I guess it depends on how deep your dives are. From what I have read its only a "Bail Out"-The reason I am looking at one is that one of the Lakes nearby has a couple of wrecks in an underwater park run by the state. To dive on the deeper ones a pony is required. Not sure how I will carry it exactly-slung seems to be the methode of choice though.

cummings66
08-17-2007, 08:39
The reason I am looking at one is that one of the Lakes nearby has a couple of wrecks in an underwater park run by the state. To dive on the deeper ones a pony is required. Not sure how I will carry it exactly-slung seems to be the methode of choice though.

If it's deep enough they require a pony then I'd start looking at something more in line with a 30 or 40 cf tank. They're not a hassle diving with, sling it and things work fine.

A 6cf tank would be a joke at those depths, a 19 might be ok but I'd go all the way to the larger myself in that situation.

No Misses
08-17-2007, 08:59
ST sells the Quick Draw II bracket that fits both AL13 and AL19 bottles. They also make brackets for bigger bottles. I have not used the big ones. I have an AL19 that I attach upside down, to the left side of my AL80. I have tested it by doing a controlled slow ascent from 100 fsw w/safety stop. I still had ~1000 lbs left in the bottle when I surfaced. It should be noted that I was not stressed on this dive and my breathing rate was not elevated. If you are stressed out while ascending, your SAC rate will be much higher. I carry the pony bottle on almost every dive. On the last dive of the day I will deploy it and use it to ascend. This way I know that the bottle and reg are tested on a weekly basis. It also provides for muscle memory training. I stow my reg hose along the side of the pony with bungies. I reach back with my left hand, grab the 2nd stage and pull it free. I then reach back and turn on the first stage (with it off, I know that my pony has not been leaking and will be full when needed). I swap second stages and either breath out or purge the pony sencond stage. This may sound like a lot of steps. But, it really does not take long at all. I hope this helped with your decision.

Coaster
08-17-2007, 09:08
The 13 cu ft. bottle isn't that large. you might want to look into a 20 that's slung on your BC. It's a decent amount of gas to get your through a problem. And the answer about pony's is that anyone can use one. It's simply a means of redundancy. Just know that the gas in your pony is NEVER to be used to extend your dive. You don't plan that you have it. It's there in case of emergency only.

Shane

I dive a 20cf pony...recreational diving...it has what I need if I ever need it...air... to safely return to the surface.

divingbuddy
08-17-2007, 12:22
6 cubic foot pony bottle? I use a bigger bottle than that as an argon bottle for dry suit inflation. :smiley20:

If you really want adequate redundant air source, you should consider at a minimum a 19 cf tank.

Calculate your SAC rate at a strong swim rate. Use that information, with the depths you plan to dive to using this pony bottle. You can easily determine which size of tank will work best for your needs.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

plot
08-18-2007, 09:44
i figure it'll give you enough air to find your buddy... thats about it

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 09:49
6cf would do for any OW recreational diver diving within their limits. Chances are - if they are OOA they might not hold their safety stop - and probably will have an ascent rate greater then 30ft/min (maybe 60 - which is still - ok) - with that said - even at 90ft the 6cf would be enough to get them to the surface. But yes, if you're diving depper 60ft+ I wouldnt go with anything less then a 13cf pony!

divingbuddy
08-21-2007, 07:55
i figure it'll give you enough air to find your buddy... thats about it

If you're OOA and have switched to your 6 cf 'pony', just how long would you spend searching for your buddy with his larger reserve of air?

Have sufficient redundant air so that you can safely end the dive at the deepest point. Assume that your buddy will not be there to assist. Why use something that will not take you all the way (safely) to the surface?

If your buddy notices you gone, he/she will initiate your previously agreed upon 'lost buddy' protocols, and will likely surface when they fail to locate you underwater.

The right tool for the right job? My pony bottle is the 100 cf tank that sits beside the other 100 cf tank on my back.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

DougNR
08-21-2007, 12:16
when does one decide to use a pony bottle. Im a rec diver that is still an air hog.

For me use of the pony is because of a failure in your primary life support system. IOW either the 1st stage or both seconds become unavailable.

I'm not taking your comment as one that adds the pony gas content to your routine dive plan, but in case others did - in my opinion that would not be a good path.

CompuDude
08-21-2007, 12:32
19cf at a minimum. Anything else will not allow you to ascend at a safe controlled speed and complete your safety stop from any reasonable depth, especially in an emergency.

6cf spares are a complete waste, and having one may make you bolder than you should be.

cgvmer
08-21-2007, 12:38

A pony is never part of the air supply when planning a dive, it is extra just in case.

When do you decide you need to carry a pony, has much to do with the type of diving your doing. In NJ many of the boats won't let you dive without one.

somewhereinla
08-21-2007, 12:52
In case of an OOA, a safety stop is really not require. Rec. diving is no-deco diving and thus requires no stops. The safety stop is just that, a safety but not a requirement. Secondly, a 6cf tank is more than enough to ascend properly at any rec. depth. In theory an experience diver should be able to do it at 100ft with one breath of air. If you are going to go with a 19cf, you might as well consider diving doubles...LOL

CompuDude
08-21-2007, 13:18
In case of an OOA, a safety stop is really not require. Rec. diving is no-deco diving and thus requires no stops. The safety stop is just that, a safety but not a requirement. Secondly, a 6cf tank is more than enough to ascend properly at any rec. depth. In theory an experience diver should be able to do it at 100ft with one breath of air. If you are going to go with a 19cf, you might as well consider diving doubles...LOL
Theory is all well and good. Safety stops may be "optional", but that doesn't mean it's smart to to just say "all will be well if I ascend directly up from 100 fsw".

Proper gas planning should eliminate the need for one anyway, but at least if you use a decent size pony for redundancy (19cf or bigger) you can ascend at a normal, safe rate (30'/sec) and complete a safety stop... which you really should do after a deep dive... even with the elevated SAC you're likely to have in such an emergency.

mm_dm
08-21-2007, 13:41
Theory is all well and good. Safety stops may be "optional", but that doesn't mean it's smart to to just say "all will be well if I ascend directly up from 100 fsw".

Good answer. No need to go looking for trouble, it seems to finds divers all on its' own.