PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Navarre Beach

nferra2
08-16-2007, 17:39
I was curious if there are still any road closures (or roads missing) from Katrina. I am traveling from Baton Rouge to Navarre and I am trying to map out my trip.

Thanks,

Nick

mike_s
08-16-2007, 21:12
send a PM to ssuprbugman on scubaboard. he drives that all the time.

mwhities
08-16-2007, 22:31
I really don't think there is any more closings. I could be wrong though.

Paulwall here would be goo to ask from New Orleans to Pensacola.

Michael

ScubaSteve
08-16-2007, 23:55
Hey there,

As far as the local area near Navarre goes, the beach road between Pensacola Beach and Navarre is still closed as is the road access to Ft. Pickens.

I live here in Navarre. When are ya coming through?

nferra2
08-17-2007, 09:19
I will be in Navarre October 4th-9th. We are going to get certified at MBT divers (I know its a nice little drive from navarre). We were going to stay in pensacola, but the condo we where going to stay at got rented out by a long term renter and we got bumped.

nferra2
08-17-2007, 09:30
I just looked at the maps again, So I guess I have to cross Santa Rosa Sound at Navarre and take 98 to get to Pensacola?

ReefHound
08-17-2007, 09:45
That is correct. It's not a bad route. You'll have traffic lights here and there, and sometimes heavy traffic, but it usually moves pretty well.

nferra2
08-17-2007, 10:04
Some reason I don't mind driving when I am not driving back and forth to work. It would be nice to take the beach road the whole way, but I will live.

ScubaSteve
08-17-2007, 12:57
It won't be bad. It's a 45 minute drive to MBT from Navarre.

Enjoy the class!

Also, check out the beach...

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/

nferra2
08-17-2007, 23:10
I have heard nothing but good things about the beach at Navarre, but I am more interested in whats under the water than the color of the sand on the beach. We wanted to try to do a beach dive at navarre or Pensacola on the Monday after our OW class is over, maybe you could give us some insight on what area would be good for a Newb.

ScubaSteve
08-19-2007, 20:32
Hmmm... Lets see. Navarre pier is probably a good first adventure on your own. The conditions can vary quite a bit as far as vis goes, but given calm surf and good vis (20 - 40 ft) it can be fun. Max depth is only around 20 - 25 ft out at the end of the pier. You'll obviously notice the big section missing out of it. It's lying on the bottom just to the west of the break in about 15 ft. Look for sting rays in the sand and a fair amount of fish life around the pilings and rubble.

Haven't gone beach diving in Pensacola.

nferra2
08-19-2007, 23:28
Well ,Josh at MBT said we would probably do our checkout dives at Navarre pier and the pensacola beach rubble if weather permits. If not he said we would head to the springs.

ScubaSteve
08-20-2007, 22:17
Yeah, I know some instructors here that do checkout dives at the Navarre pier. Not a bad place for it. Most folks used to go to Ft. Pickens for that, but the hurricanes wiped out the road a couple of years ago and they still haven't rebuilt. Hope you don't have to do all your checkout dives at the springs, though. Not that exiting, and a bit chilly.