PDA

View Full Version : Some Random Underwater Shots

NitroWill
08-16-2007, 18:50
Decided to share some underwater shots Ive taken. Im very new to underwater photography (these were my first dives w/ camera.) They are all using a cheap uw 35mm camera. All photos are unedited. Comments/questions are welcome :)

Photo Gallery: http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=14

NitroWill
08-17-2007, 20:58
Wow no comments...
My pictures are either leaving people speechless or theyre so bad people are following the "if you cant say nothin nice" saying :smiley36:

Divingguy
08-18-2007, 06:16
You have some nice pictures. Do not sweat the lack of response. Everybody is pre-occupied with what Dean is doing to their friends, and vacations.

Bill22
08-18-2007, 07:11
Hey Will you got some nice shots :-) How are things in Orlando these days? I lived there for 18 years. Who did you certify with?

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 10:29
Orlando is nice - ive been here since January. I am about to finish up my master scuba diver with the legendary Wayne Mitchell shorotly :)

Disneymom
08-19-2007, 10:47
pics are great, Will! You mentioned a basic 35mm - what camera did you use? I'm curious to know as I will probably begin w/ a basic UW 35mm before moving on to an UW digital.

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 10:51
Looks just like the one below..Most LDS have them but charge $20-30+ for them..I picked one up at Walgreens for <$20..Its a decent little reusable camera - just be sure to rinse the enclosure well w/ freshwater as the flash mechanism can easily get stuck.. :)

http://liquidsnap.com/LiquidSnap_files/Liquid1.jpg

Bill22
08-20-2007, 00:54
Orlando is nice - ive been here since January. I am about to finish up my master scuba diver with the legendary Wayne Mitchell shorotly :)

That name sounds familiar.... what LDS does he work from? I was just in Orlando in December and January, running around like crazy trying to get everything done before I left :-) I left January 4th for Japan.

Jim Hollis' Scuba World was my LDS when I first got there. I hear that he sold out and is concentrating on his business up in North Florida now.

Later I was with Donna Askew. I met her when she worked for Jim Hollis probably around 81 or 82. She started Northwest Divers, back in the mid-80's, but she also I believe has sold out. Last I heard she was still teaching scuba classes at Valencia Community College though.

Charlotte Smith
08-20-2007, 05:51
Wish the water in our lake was that clear! I love your pics and hopefully we will get to take a trip to the ocean this winter.....my husbands father is very sick right now with multiple myeloma (bone cancer) so we can't venture far from home.

torrey
08-20-2007, 09:24
Not bad for first time 35mm shots. I liked the blue-striped grunt picture. Anybody know what this fish is?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/7/3/5/15.jpg

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 09:29
That name sounds familiar.... what LDS does he work from? I was just in Orlando in December and January, running around like crazy trying to get everything done before I left :-) I left January 4th for Japan.

Here he is:

http://www.abacodivers.com/images/beth-053-%282%29.jpg

Wayne Mitchell doesnt work for an LDS - he works for for himself :smiley36:
He actually works leading Abaco Adventures in the Bahamas.
Here is his nice little resume:

Director of Disney Diving (RET.)
NAUI Course Director
Member NAUI Board of Directors
Industry Expert / Handicapped Divers Program
50 years diving experience
Over 28,000 logged dives
Has certified 10,000 Scuba divers

Hes very knowledgeable and I don't think I could have asked for a better instructor!

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 09:30
Not bad for first time 35mm shots. I liked the blue-striped grunt picture. Anybody know what this fish is?

I am honestly am not sure what this was..It was buried in the sand pretty good..Maybe someone else has an idea..

torrey
08-20-2007, 15:06
I didn't realize it was buried in the sand...I thought that was the full size of its body, hehe.

Doghouse
08-21-2007, 11:54
Nice shots. Just have to watch the minimum distances. A couple of the shots would be fantastic if they were about 6" back. The stripes in the angle fish are a little blury which looks like they were too close. Other than that, good job.

How much photography experiance do you have? I ask this as I don't want to give you a whole explanation on composition theory if you are just interested in snapshots, and recording memories for your own use.

torrey
08-21-2007, 12:31
Nice shots. Just have to watch the minimum distances. A couple of the shots would be fantastic if they were about 6" back. The stripes in the angle fish are a little blury which looks like they were too close. Other than that, good job.

If I remember correctly, I think the minimum focus distance for those types of camera is about 4ft unless you have some kind of macro lens attachment...so yeah, unfortunately make sure you keep your distance.

somewhereinla
08-21-2007, 13:07
Nice pict. I used to have a similar camera.

Bill22
08-22-2007, 05:01

That might be it... may have read his name in the newspaper :-)

NitroWill
08-22-2007, 07:57

That might be it... may have read his name in the newspaper :-)

He trained Mickey to scuba dive..
He also did a lot of work for the Disney Cruise Lines..
So it's quite possible - hes all over the place!

SilentEcho13
08-22-2007, 23:56
Pretty nice shots man, good for a 35mm film cam.

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 14:32

How much photography experiance do you have? I ask this as I don't want to give you a whole explanation on composition theory if you are just interested in snapshots, and recording memories for your own use.

Experience? Not really any..I just shoot for fun, I just have fun shooting photography and I think UW is that much more exciting. The pictures were from my first dives ever underwater with a camera.

DevilDiver
08-29-2007, 18:10
Southern Stargazer or maybe a Lepord Toadfish(Not sure about the black marking over the eyes and back) Where was the pic taken????:smiley5:

I am honestly am not sure what this was..It was buried in the sand pretty good..Maybe someone else has an idea..