PDA

View Full Version : Blackbeard Advice

carriersanders
10-26-2008, 12:28
My b/f and I are planning a trip summer 09, does anyone have any advice for me? What to bring? What to leave at home? What to expect? My b/f gets really seasick, any suggestions?

Don Wray
10-26-2008, 16:54
Expect to have a fabulous dive experience. You will board with a lot of strangers and disembark with a boat load of friends. Take swim suits, tshirts, a pair of sweats and rain gear. Leave the rest at home. I've been on many liveaboards and had some of the best times on Blackbeards. However, if your foo-foo, you will not have a great time. it's camping at sea with a bunch of other folk. On the sea sickness, start taking dramamine before you get there, and take it consistently. Eat ginger snaps. It all depends on how rough it can be. Sometimes smooth, sometimes you wish you could get off and walk.

carriersanders
10-26-2008, 19:38
Do ginger snaps actually help? I read on another post to bring immodium, do we need this?

gNats
10-27-2008, 13:29
Hi,

Gingersnaps really do help. If you can bring beverages aboard, try bringing aboard a few cans of ginger ale or ask if ginger ale can be stocked for you. It works wonders for upset tummies.:smiley20:

Your b/f can sip the soda when he is feeling woozy. The key is to sip it - chugging it down will only make matters worse. It is a pretty carbinated drink. Oh, and I have heard that sipping it at a cool or warm temp is better than cold or on the rocks. It doesn't shock the walls of your stomach as much.

Defman
10-27-2008, 14:05
I can't directly confirm it, but I did see a TV show testing ginger's effect on motion sickness and the results indicated that it really did work.

I have also heard that for a BB trip, take as little stuff as possible since storage is at a premium. I haven't done one yet but friends have a couple of times and they really enjoy them a lot!

cummings66
10-27-2008, 18:34
Ginger does help, but be wary of thing named gingerxxx because now a days few actually have ginger in them.

Ginger ale for example, the mainstream variety has none in it and you might aw well drink sprite etc. In fact, the ginger snaps at my local store have no ginger in them either.

In the old days, Mom used to give me Soda Crackers and 7 up to settle my stomach. It still works, I think the crackers absorb the acid and make it feel better.

So, be wary until you read the labels.

chinacat46
10-27-2008, 19:13
Do ginger snaps actually help? I read on another post to bring immodium, do we need this?

Immodium won't help with seasickness but it is always a good thing to take with you when traveling and takes up very very little space. Although I doubt you will have any type of problem with the food or water in the Bahamas.

Skuttle
10-27-2008, 20:15
Hi,

I just got back from a Blackbeard's trip just this month. I had a blast! It is true, truely is camping at sea. If you can, get a hold of a patch. My mother sent me a scope patch and I didn't have one once of trouble. I put it on before leaving the dock.

As far as clothes, I just took a couple of t-shirts, 2 pair of shorts, sleep wear, a long sleeve shirt, and a wind breaker/raincoat, and several bathing suits. Other things were a towel or a shammy to drive off with, sunblock, advil ( just in case I was sore or got a headache), a hat of some sort, sunglasses.

The storage you have is not very big so try and pack as light as you can without forgetting the really important items that you just MUST have.

Not sure where you are flying from, but I checked my dive gear except for my reg, camera and computer. Put most of my stuff in a backpack/carry on type bag.

I hope this helps. Your going to have a wonderful time and the marine life is just out of this world!!. :smiley2:

Merrimorte
10-27-2008, 22:44
Hi,

Gingersnaps really do help. If you can bring beverages aboard, try bringing aboard a few cans of ginger ale or ask if ginger ale can be stocked for you. It works wonders for upset tummies.:smiley20:

Your b/f can sip the soda when he is feeling woozy. The key is to sip it - chugging it down will only make matters worse. It is a pretty carbinated drink. Oh, and I have heard that sipping it at a cool or warm temp is better than cold or on the rocks. It doesn't shock the walls of your stomach as much.

If not that, take along a package of ginger root tea.

scubarobin
10-28-2008, 07:58
most dive shops carry ginger caplets for seasickness and they do work. For Blackbeard's though I think I would see a doctor and get the patch. We were on the Nekton Pilot a few years ago and passed one of the Blackbeard's boats heading south out of Bimini....... let's just say watching that little boat rock made me a little seasick! :smiley11:

cutter77
11-01-2008, 21:55
No ideas for the seasickness...but bring a nice sized covered mug for your drinks, the cups they give are a little small. I like to put hot water in the mug, add one or two of their nice teabags, let set and then have iced tea after my afternoon dive. Also, carpenter clips....some folks used the plastic ones and two guys lost wetsuits left on the rail overnight when we were headed to a new area.

carriersanders
11-04-2008, 21:25
Thanks everyone for the advice...it is very helpful. I cannot wait to go!!

sunshine121
11-04-2008, 22:52
When I was in Australia, they had ginger pills to offer. My seasick remedy is to start Bonine the night before sailing. That way I get to sleep off the drowsiness and get it solidly into my system. Then I take the recommended dosage each day.

use collapsible luggage, lay out what you think you will need before you go, then take 1/3 of it away (you won't need it), take Woolite and wash things out to wear again, take things that mix & match. And take 2 bathing suits.

Tell your b/f to eat regularly even if feeling seasick (light stuff), and don't hide out in a cabin.
Have a great time!

georoc01
11-05-2008, 07:49
I used Meclazine in place of Bonine on my last trip. Its a generic available over the counter and is much cheaper than the commercial brands. I also bring a prescription sleep aid when in common sleeping areas. It guarantees me 6-7 hours of sleep if the conditions are such that I get woken up often. Ear plugs can help too.

msprzeor
11-06-2008, 02:07
Ginger tablet work the best, so does watching what you eat- I'll see if I can track down some articles, but you'd be amazing how slightly changing your meals can work wonders!

Zeagle Eagle
11-06-2008, 02:25
My b/f gets really seasick, any suggestions?
I get seasick on occasion, especially on a long boat ride. One thing that worked for me and was none drowsy was called Kwell. It was purchased over the counter on a dive trip to Australia. I have no idea what the equivalent USA over the counter is. I haven't found much else without some scary side effects. If your b/f happens to be underwater and gets sick just keep the reg in his mouth and let it go. It will be just fine and the reg will be okay. (Apologies to any squeamish out there). Usually after a day or two on the boat I get over it until then I just deal with it.
Generally, as soon as I hit the water my symptoms go away.:13344-6: