PDA

View Full Version : Shark feeding

carriersanders
10-26-2008, 12:31
I had my 1st shark dive this summer, and I loved it! Shark feeding seems a little scary, what do you girls think? It is one of the dives on Blackbeard, should I be scared or excited?

FishFood
10-26-2008, 12:45
Not sure why this is in the Women's Issues? Am I allowed to chime in?

**Dont Shoot** :smilie39:

It is one of the dives on Blackbeard,

Blackbeard wouldn't put their divers in harms way. If you consistently come back with less divers than you left with, people take notice and business slacks off :smiley2:

Go for it :smiley20:

carriersanders
10-26-2008, 19:51
Thanks for the input, I just know that guys are more likely to dive in without considering being scared.

fisheater
10-26-2008, 20:15
Thanks for the input, I just know that guys are more likely to dive in without considering being scared.

WRONG!

We're far more likely to dive in without letting anyone even detect that we're scared. Big difference.

FishFood
10-26-2008, 20:16
Traitor :anim_stick:

shawnwill36
10-27-2008, 07:34
sharks are a docile animal but they can still be intimidating. im not scared but i dont take my eye off of them either :)

gthomas
10-27-2008, 09:54
Of course you should be scared. Sharks bite. On the other hand its also fun to try new things. Do you trust the company you'll be diving with? Go, take your time and remember your still in charge of your on safety.

scubarobin
10-28-2008, 08:02
no, you should not be scared. And yes, sharks bite as do every other creature in the ocean. If you are afraid of things that bite, stay on shore!!!!
more diving injuries occur from sea urchins and jellyfish and damsel fish and fire coral than from sharks!

dallasdivergirl
10-28-2008, 08:23
I did a shark dive in Roatan in July, 2006. I had a blast. Sure, I was scared. You can clearly see in the video that my eyes are very wide open and looking every where, by the end of the dive I was fine.

BlueC5Kitten
10-28-2008, 22:13
I have no problem with the idea of diving with sharks, until someone says "feeding"...I don't like the idea that I am being put into a situation where sharks (wild animals) are agitated, hungry and with heightened senses. Just doesn't sound like a good scenario to me...

LCF
10-29-2008, 04:44
The shark feeding dives I've done, one of the guides carries the piece of fish and gets mobbed by reef fish, who are followed by the sharks. The sharks circle. Eventually, the guide puts the fish down and a shark takes it away, after which the sharks lose much interest in the proceedings.

The first time, it's kind of an eye-opener, to see so MANY sharks. But after one or two, you kind of want to say, "Can we go look at something else?"

I found it much more unnerving to be in blue water and encounter several sharks. When they have three dimensional freedom to move around you, it's harder to keep track of them.

teerlkay
11-20-2008, 14:24
Shark feeding is wrong. It changes the behavior of sharks and they will associate food with divers. That being said - it sure is fun!

Tips: Keep your arms tucked in and when the food is gone, donít hang around.

tiggrr
11-20-2008, 14:34
Blackbeard's runs a safe operation and they way they do their shark dive is mild compared to others.

You kneel in front of a wall (so the wall is at your back) and they throw a chumsicle in the water. Don't put your hands out ever! They give a full run down on what you should do.

Some of the other OPs hand feed which is cool.

From what I understand, There has only been one death in the Bahamas in the last 30 years on a shark feed. But, that was with a charter that was chumming for the more agressive sharks like Tigers and Bulls.

BlowingBubbles
11-21-2008, 11:56
I'm not sure how I would feel about that but my husband and I have discussed going on a liveaboard and swimming with whales and after giving it some thought, I think I'd rather dive with sharks. Whales, to me, are much more intimidating. One swipe of the tail and so long! Sounds like the shark feeding is more controlled. Sounds like it has a good safety record also. Good luck and have fun!

Seniordiver
11-21-2008, 12:52

Heck no! We try to appear calm to attract the "chicks" -damn! I let the cat out of the bag

Shark girl
11-22-2008, 19:34
I love sharks! :) (if you hadn't guessed from the name....). I do worry slightly about getting sharks too habituated to people and associating us with food, so I'm not convinced by hand feeding. I know this has caused problems with moray eels on the Great Barrier Reef, leading to increased aggression to the extent where some creatures had to be culled :smiley19:. To my knowledge the same thing has never happened with sharks. I have jumped in the water with 5 bronze whalers after the dinner scraps were thrown off the dive boat- that was cool! (We did chuck one of the guys in first as he'd refused to admit that he was at all nervous and we needed to make sure we wuoldn't be dessert). I'd love to see the hammerhead swarms in the Galapagos one day.... To dream!

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 20:40
:anim_soapbox:

Please do not patronize shark feeding operations.

It is not good for the animals, the environment nor people.

You want sharks? Come here. We see our share particularly now that we are heading into Lemon season. You'll see Bulls all year long too.
Jupiter is advanced diving, but find an Op that'll do the Juno Ledge. Pretty good chance you'll see sharks.
Otherwise, winter time we see them anywhere off the Palm Beaches. Usually Carribean Reef Sharks.
Nurse Sharks all year long.

~rant over~

Suther2136
11-23-2008, 21:45
When I hit the water I couldn't swallow to save my life. After that it was very cool.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/3055188538_83256e172c.jpg

emt
02-01-2009, 22:17

You want sharks? Come here. We see our share particularly now that we are heading into Lemon season. You'll see Bulls all year long too.
Jupiter is advanced diving, but find an Op that'll do the Juno Ledge. Pretty good chance you'll see sharks.
Otherwise, winter time we see them anywhere off the Palm Beaches. Usually Carribean Reef Sharks.

~rant over~

I have a similar opinion. I have no proof but I had rather the sharks have a sense of fear from humans when I am in the water. I do not want to train them to take this natural fear of us away.
I see the signs in any federal park clearly stating "Do Not Feed The Animals" Bears etc. on & on.

wcbdiver
02-22-2010, 16:08
Hi

Sharks are very intellegent creatures. We are not a food source for them. If you have a look at my two videos, at YouTube - banffski's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/banffski) you can get some idea of what it will be like. Male or female, if you are not scared, then you are foolish. Almost all shark attacks happen in murky waters, if the visability is not good, then don't dive. Also, never take your eyes off these creatures, as I have learned, they will try to sneak up on you, and when you make eye contact, they take off. So, if you go shark diving, never take your eyes off them. Also, I would never dive where any great whites are, that is just my opinion, this advice is only for tigers, and bullsharks, and the other less dangerous ones. When bullshark diving I always carry a pole, just in case they get too close for my comfort zone. One gentle hit on the nose will send them running. I have never had to do that, but I have pushed them away with my hand, which is never a good idea. These are wonderful creatures that I truely respect, and chum diving is never a good idea, as feeding any wild creatures is never a good idea.

You will appreciate being alive, and I seem to enjoy life more after a shark dive. Of ya, in the video you will see that there are a few female divers in our group.

Play Safe.

JJ

keyshunter
02-23-2010, 05:20

~rant over~

Shark feeding operations have been illegal in Fl. for some years, that is why several of the operators have moved to the Bahamas. The sharks seen at these chumming sites do not behave at all like those in a natural environment. I have dived, without chumming, in the area of New Providence where Stuart Cove conducts his feedings. The sharks were waiting for us when we jumped in, and followed us for the entire dive. At times, they (mostly Reef Sharks) would actually nudge us looking for a handout. Definitely NOT natural shark behavior.

As Splitlip says, just take a trip to SE Fl. and you will see sharks acting naturally. If you really want to get up close and personal with sharks, try spearfishing in the same area.

Travelnsj
02-23-2010, 08:30
I have sat out dives that involved feeding fish...Shark dives etc. It promotes unnatural behavior and can be dangerous. I've been around Sharks feeding in the wild....I get out of there immediately.

din
02-23-2010, 09:30
Hi

Sharks are very intellegent creatures. We are not a food source for them. If you have a look at my two videos, at YouTube - banffski's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/banffski) you can get some idea of what it will be like. Male or female, if you are not scared, then you are foolish. Almost all shark attacks happen in murky waters, if the visability is not good, then don't dive. Also, never take your eyes off these creatures, as I have learned, they will try to sneak up on you, and when you make eye contact, they take off. So, if you go shark diving, never take your eyes off them. Also, I would never dive where any great whites are, that is just my opinion, this advice is only for tigers, and bullsharks, and the other less dangerous ones. When bullshark diving I always carry a pole, just in case they get too close for my comfort zone. One gentle hit on the nose will send them running. I have never had to do that, but I have pushed them away with my hand, which is never a good idea. These are wonderful creatures that I truely respect, and chum diving is never a good idea, as feeding any wild creatures is never a good idea.

You will appreciate being alive, and I seem to enjoy life more after a shark dive. Of ya, in the video you will see that there are a few female divers in our group.

Play Safe.

JJ

ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!

jet126
02-23-2010, 20:26

~rant over~

Shark feeding operations have been illegal in Fl. for some years, that is why several of the operators have moved to the Bahamas. The sharks seen at these chumming sites do not behave at all like those in a natural environment. I have dived, without chumming, in the area of New Providence where Stuart Cove conducts his feedings. The sharks were waiting for us when we jumped in, and followed us for the entire dive. At times, they (mostly Reef Sharks) would actually nudge us looking for a handout. Definitely NOT natural shark behavior.

As Splitlip says, just take a trip to SE Fl. and you will see sharks acting naturally. If you really want to get up close and personal with sharks, try spearfishing in the same area.

Plus one.

It is NOT GOOD to alter natural animal behavior. Why is it we humans blame the hiker when they get mauled by a grizzly but treat the ocean like it's our own personal water park?

On the other hand, I happened to be the only female on a Blackbeard's trip a few years ago ... if you want some info re: that, pm me.

bigman241
02-24-2010, 13:28
Ya a guy could piss him sefl looking over the sharks and would just say well I was really drunk last night and ohh well to much beer does that to you then say ya I am scared.

WRONG!

We're far more likely to dive in without letting anyone even detect that we're scared. Big difference.

Splitlip
02-24-2010, 16:50
here's some Reefies. The Lemons are bigger and the Bulls more agressive "aaaahhhrrrgggg, come to Jupiter. We have cookies".

YouTube - Reef Sharks in Jupiter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga_C6kusYuc&feature=related)

Trunk_Monkey
02-27-2010, 23:34
"aaaahhhrrrgggg, come to Jupiter. We have cookies".

Don't mind all that nasty-tasting neoprene. There's some yummy goodness inside. Kind of like the creamy center of an Oreo.:smiley2:

Travelnsj
03-05-2010, 03:20
I do not know how many ways I can state my distaste for Shark Diving. I was at Shark City yesterday in Palau that is known for all the Black Tips that hang out there. I was at about 35' and watching the Blacktips swimming around when a couple of snorkeling boats pulled up...they dumped food in the water and all of a sudden a frenzy of around 30 Blacktips were all around me...got the hell out of there. Tried to get their boat numbers to turn them into the Korror Police but they had taken off before we could get it!....I would of love to of thrown them into those sharks...No fun!

It is dangerous and unnatural behavior!

emtdiver
03-16-2010, 22:38
no, you should not be scared. And yes, sharks bite as do every other creature in the ocean. If you are afraid of things that bite, stay on shore!!!!
more diving injuries occur from sea urchins and jellyfish and damsel fish and fire coral than from sharks!

I can't agree with staying on shore if you have fear of sharks. I trully Love to Dive but I am scared of sharks. I aborted a dive because I knew there were sharks in the area. I have dove with them in aquariums but they had a set path & were used to divers. I for one am scared but I don't want my fear to take control of me. Here in TN we don't have sharks & other things that bite so when I went and did my first ocean dive 16 miles off shore in a 35 foot boat w/7 foot seas with 2 other newer divers, & cuda everywhere I was afraid but I did dive. If I can ask how does one deal w/the fear of creatures of the deep such as sharks? I want to relax around them but I just can't. Can they sense fear? What is the behavior of sharks?

PhD4JC
03-20-2010, 12:06
Unless your back is against the wall as someone mentioned, how does "blue water" offer three dimensional freedom when regular feeding does not?

[quote=I found it much more unnerving to be in blue water and encounter several sharks. When they have three dimensional freedom to move around you, it's harder to keep track of them.[/quote]