PDA

View Full Version : BODIES...The Exhibition

Illini_Fan
08-16-2007, 20:16
Has anyone else seen this exhibition? http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

I was in Columbus, OH this week and a friend and I went. I have to say, I wasn't looking forward to it cause I'm kinda squimish, but it was actually very interesting. The bodies didn't look real.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-16-2007, 20:19
I had a bunch of guys i work with go see it and they said it was pretty cool and tastefull, i wouldnt go see it but after what they told me maybe i would if it came around the area again.

the gooch
08-16-2007, 20:53
Went twice, it is an amazing exhibit.

texdiveguy
08-16-2007, 21:10
Saw it in Dallas a few months back--great!

ertechsg
08-16-2007, 21:10
It was here in Dallas a little while back ,my brother went and said it was awsome.

thor
08-16-2007, 22:35
I saw it in NYC. Amazing. A must see.

BuzzGA
08-16-2007, 22:38
We saw it in Phoenix and were amazed. The sign said it takes the average adult 90 minutes to go though, my wife and I took 3 hours and wanted to go back for more

Phestr
08-17-2007, 01:56
I also skipped it because I'm abit squeemish, but my freinds went and came back calling me dumb. Will def go see it next time I can.

torrey
08-17-2007, 07:05
Yeah, it's a pretty sweet exhibit. I wish my wife and I wouldn't have been fighting 200 middle school kids to see everything, but it was very interesting nonetheless. The fact that it's real makes it even moreso...I kept wondering what each individual's life was like before getting to that point.

cummings66
08-17-2007, 07:18
Does anybody know if it's still running in Branson? I know it was there a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to do it but never found the time. It says I can't buy tickets online but I don't know if that means it's over or what because it's still listed as being in Branson.

Black-Gorrilla
08-17-2007, 07:35
I went with a bunch of my friends, it was awesome.

94GTStang
08-17-2007, 08:16
Looks a lot like http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

I would love to go next time they are even close to OKC

TxScubaBear
08-17-2007, 08:18
Son and his wife went to see it in Dallas (I got to babysit the twins!); they said at first it takes your breath away it looks so real, he said it was done so well it was hard to tell if it was real or whatever...

torrey
08-17-2007, 08:24
Looks a lot like http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

I would love to go next time they are even close to OKC

That's the one that was in Dallas. I thought the name of the one in the original post sounded a little funny, but I'm guessing it's pretty much the same thing anyway.

Foo2
08-17-2007, 09:23
I'm a little creeped out by these exhibits. I'm sure they're cool, but they are real human bodies. It just seems strange to me. But then again, I'm a little squeemish as some of the others have said. It kind of makes you wonder if these people that donated their bodies to science (which to me by the way is a very selfless thing to do, although I think that I'm too selfish to do it) ever thought that they might be on a public display traveling the country. Who knows though, maybe they never got to do much traveling while they were alive. ;)

torrey
08-17-2007, 09:28
Maybe I'm too desensitized, but it doesn't bother me, my wife, or any of my friends in the least. If any of my friends or family were on display though, I don't think I could watch.

Illini_Fan
08-17-2007, 09:36
I'm a little creeped out by these exhibits. I'm sure they're cool, but they are real human bodies. It just seems strange to me. But then again, I'm a little squeemish as some of the others have said. It kind of makes you wonder if these people that donated their bodies to science (which to me by the way is a very selfless thing to do, although I think that I'm too selfish to do it) ever thought that they might be on a public display traveling the country. Who knows though, maybe they never got to do much traveling while they were alive. ;)

I really figured I'd be in the same boat as you with regards to being creeped out. But it was fascinating. There were certainly some exhibits that did impact me more than others -- both in the gross factor and the sadness factor. In the former categoy, lungs from a life-long smoker covered in tar; in the latter, a fetus with spina-bifida

Foo2
08-17-2007, 09:49
There were certainly some exhibits that did impact me more than others -- both in the gross factor and the sadness factor. In the former categoy, lungs from a life-long smoker covered in tar; in the latter, a fetus with spina-bifida

Ok this is why I'm glad I didn't go. I had a baby that passed away 5 years ago with a neural tube defect, called anencephaly. Her name was Faith. If you didn't already know, spina-bifida is also an NTD. I could not have looked at that baby. I would have been overcome with sadness. It might be cool for some...but no thank you.

cummings66
08-17-2007, 10:24
I feel sad anytime I hear of a young person passing away, they've got so much potential yet to be realized. I can understand the feelings of sadness to parts of the display, I would feel the same way.

torrey
08-17-2007, 11:05
Wow! Sorry for your loss...

Foo2
08-17-2007, 11:31
I didn't want to hijack the thread...thank you though. i was just saying that I'm glad I didn't go to the exhibit.

Illini_Fan
08-17-2007, 11:36
I didn't want to hijack the thread....

I don't have the ScubaToys' terms of service in front of me, but I believe thread hijacking is allowed for any Foo, be them a numbered Foo or a manly Foo :)

Not that you hijacked the thread -- I just wanted to hear the Foo1 and Foo2 sound run threw my head as I typed the response -- it so reminds me of "Cat in the Hat"

Does this qualify as hi-jacking my own thread?

Foo2
08-17-2007, 11:46
I didn't want to hijack the thread....

I don't have the ScubaToys' terms of service in front of me, but I believe thread hijacking is allowed for any Foo, be them a numbered Foo or a manly Foo :)

Not that you hijacked the thread -- I just wanted to hear the Foo1 and Foo2 sound run threw my head as I typed the response -- it so reminds me of "Cat in the Hat"

Does this qualify as hi-jacking my own thread?

You crack me up Illini! It is a little Dr. Seuss'ish isn't it? Never really thought about it that way. :smiley2:

3rdEye
08-17-2007, 12:02
I saw Body Worlds (a competing but similar exhibit)....very cool

my favorite part were the displays where they plasticized the circulatory system, all the veins and tiny capillaries, and removed everything else. So you just saw a human form made of veins, etc. I was amazed that they were able to do that.

94GTStang
08-18-2007, 08:47
I saw Body Worlds (a competing but similar exhibit)....very cool

my favorite part were the displays where they plasticized the circulatory system, all the veins and tiny capillaries, and removed everything else. So you just saw a human form made of veins, etc. I was amazed that they were able to do that.

That is the most intriguing part of the whole human body. I would like to see that in person.

Ah... I seriously need to see this now :smiley20:

427Dave
08-19-2007, 14:26
We went to Tampa when it was there last year. It was very amazing! We would go again. We went with our friends and she is a nurse, she kept pointing out things and adding information, don't know if I would do that again!

Buoyant1
08-19-2007, 16:30
I was in Charlotte a few weeks back and it was there...but I ran out of time...it looks rather interesting!

Rockhound76
08-19-2007, 16:47
I saw the BodyWorlds exhibit in Houston with my kids. It was great. I was concerned that either my kids would take it too lightly or too seriously (like freaking out...since the youngest is a cancer survivor).

They did great, with the young one pointing out the lung cancer in one of the men in the "poker table" exhibit that even I had a hard time seeing. A doctor standing near us peered over to read the small placard. "Oh, my. He's right!"

Both kids asked about the people who donated their bobies to be preserved this way. It turns out that there is a, uh,uh, waiting list, so-to-speak.

The only exhibit the boys "speed toured" was the one one the reproductive system. I think they found it a bit uncomfortable to view.

(btw, my sister also lost a baby to anencephaly...I didn't see any fetus with a NTD, but I wondered how I would react...)

These are great, and tasteful exhibits.

WV Diver
11-03-2008, 06:09
I saw it in Pittsburgh, it was very cool and very educational. Well worth the trip to go and see as far as I am concerned.

SynCitizen
11-03-2008, 09:52
I was a chaperone (sp?) for my daughters school field trip of the exhibit and thought it was extremely interesting and tastefully presented. Unfortunately some of the kids I was there with were a little disruptive.... some (other) peoples kids... sheesh.

JahJahwarrior
11-03-2008, 14:07
Amazing exhibit! The fetus's were particularly breathtaking, to see how even at only a few weeks old you can see hands and a face....

....then 20 12-14 year olds came in the room, chatting and laughing, pointing and joking at the unborn children....

It was a very somber exhibit, the entire thing, and I don't believe they should allow people in who cannot control themselves and act appropriately. I was not at all happy that they let these children in. Behaved children, yes. Misbehaving ones, should be kept out.

No Misses
11-03-2008, 14:42
I have butchered enough animals in my time, to know what they look like on the inside. I do not need to see it on display. JMHO

cummings66
11-03-2008, 15:44
I have butchered enough animals in my time, to know what they look like on the inside. I do not need to see it on display. JMHO

While I've butchered my fair share of animals, you honestly do not have an idea of what the inner structure is until you see what they show you. There's no way you can see the stuff they show you from butchering an animal. They go through procedures such as injecting things into the veins and then dissolving the flesh from around it, kind of neat to see where the veins lead. Even the nervous system is shown that way.

If you have any interest in anatomy then I think the exhibit is worth seeing. Many sicknesses and other things like that are shown and it's interesting to see what cancer actually does to a body part.

caroln
11-03-2008, 17:48
I read some controversy about the origin of the bodies. I believe that some of them come from chinese prisoners, and it's questionable whether they consented to donating their bodies to be used in this way. I think I'd still see it though, because I am really interested in science and anatomy.

Largo
11-03-2008, 19:47
Personally, I am angry that this thing is allowed in the United States.

The bodies on display are, indeed, Chinese prisoners executed by the Chinese government. Many of these young men and women are guilty of nothing more than questioning the government.

I HATE this thing.

Drewskey
11-03-2008, 20:12
Personally, I am angry that this thing is allowed in the United States.

The bodies on display are, indeed, Chinese prisoners executed by the Chinese government. Many of these young men and women are guilty of nothing more than questioning the government.

I HATE this thing.

I went to this in New York City a few years ago. It was fascinating yes, but I did question as to why they all seemed to be of the same ethnicity. You have some good sources for that charge? I'm interested to know.

Largo
11-03-2008, 20:16
It was all over NPR (National Public Radio) a couple of years ago.

I think the guy who started it is Dutch.

Largo
11-03-2008, 20:19
New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/18/nyregion/18bodies.html?pagewanted=print

If the new York Times writes bad things about Communists, it must be true.