PDA

View Full Version : What gear do you feel you still haven't gotten "perfect"?

dagrath
10-27-2008, 15:34
Whether it be because you haven't yet tried the right one, or because you are convinced they don't yet make it exactly how you want it.

I just bought new fins, and I am not entirely sure I like them better or not. I actually like them a lot under the water, but on the surface they feel ineffective. I am willing to bet that is largely my own ineffective finning though. :)

Most of my gear I totally love though. I actually don't find myself browsing the product catalog at ScubaToys incessantly anymore. Good sign I guess. :smiley31:

fisheater
10-27-2008, 17:00
I know what you mean.

I LOVE my ForceFin Pros. However, they so suck at the surface if I'm snorkeling around. To make them work, I have to consciously submerge my legs more than normal. They work great on my back and are wonderful while actually diving.

Thus, I work around their limitation.

Mtrewyn
10-27-2008, 18:03
I too have discovered that I am pretty happy with my gear, but I am having a hard time finding a place I like to put my computer while diving,
I hang it from the top d-ring on my Ranger and it is good there but just not quite right, I have tried lots of other ways and this is the least bad of them,

I have found myself looking at the catalog a lot less now that I have almost all of my gear. And going to school eats a lot of time too, lest time to shop, less money, well it all feeds on it's self.....

in_cavediver
10-27-2008, 18:16
My obvious choice is fins. I have several and am always on the lookout for the best balance between kick effort and propulsion force. Currently, I use quattros and jets. The quattros are for most everything, the jets for multi-stage dives where I can't kick effectively with the quattros. Its sad when you can stall fins.....

I like pretty much everything else.

CFDAlden
10-28-2008, 00:32
I'm hoping to try my buddys Force fins. I know several people who swear by them.

I still, after 56 dives, haven't found the sweet spot for my BC, trim wise. Very close, though. :) A BP/W may be in my future at some point.

dallasdivergirl
10-28-2008, 08:28
a mask. I have several and have given away a couple. I still haven't seemed to have found the perfect fit. my face is narrow and I seem to make fog.

Navy OnStar
10-28-2008, 10:05
Mask. I have a narrow face and tend to get leaks near the temples.

Regs. I love my ScubaPro Yoke MK25/S600s but they are not environmentally sealed. I bought a Zeagle ZX 50D DIN for my pony and thinking about getting one for my primary. (I do a lot of muck diving)

mwhities
10-28-2008, 10:14
I too have discovered that I am pretty happy with my gear, but I am having a hard time finding a place I like to put my computer while diving,
I hang it from the top d-ring on my Ranger and it is good there but just not quite right, I have tried lots of other ways and this is the least bad of them,

I have found myself looking at the catalog a lot less now that I have almost all of my gear. And going to school eats a lot of time too, lest time to shop, less money, well it all feeds on it's self.....

Can you put your computer on your wrist? I prefer it as it's one less thing I have to find hanging off my bp/w.

Otherwise, I still haven't been able to get my BP/W dialed in correctly. Still fussing with it after every dive.

Michael

neugierig
10-28-2008, 10:18
wetsuits

can't wait for the day they invent 1mm wetsuits that can keep you warm in 30 degree water

CompuDude
10-29-2008, 15:48
Mask. I have a narrow face and tend to get leaks near the temples.

Regs. I love my ScubaPro Yoke MK25/S600s but they are not environmentally sealed. I bought a Zeagle ZX 50D DIN for my pony and thinking about getting one for my primary. (I do a lot of muck diving)

Must be some serious muck if an MK25 doesn't cut it!

I'd agree with the mask being less than perfect. I like it a lot, but my old one leaked less. I prefer the newer lens shape, though, so I tolerate it.

My drysuit fits pretty well, but a full custom job would be better.

Fins are always an ongoing search for perfection, even though I'm fairly happy with Jets. I'll try the Hollis fins next, just to see.

texdiveguy
10-29-2008, 15:56
I think when all your gear becomes perfect is the time to ask yourself 'why'.

I wish my dry suit had a wee bit more length to it, just don't want to spend the $ on a retro fit.....it does a nice job as is.

I 'finally' found a reg. mouth piece I liked and could outfit all my regs with one--DR Long Bite.

Wish my scooter was a bit faster........wait I don't even own one yet!

in_cavediver
10-29-2008, 16:25

Is that like wishing the scrubber in the CCR had a bit more capacity....

So - who want to buy Mike a CCR for Christmas. He's been mostly good this year!!!:smiley31:

CompuDude
10-29-2008, 16:27

must... resist... scooter...

:smiley36:

Not easy with all the cuda upgrade sales!

Mtrewyn
10-29-2008, 19:30

Can you put your computer on your wrist? I prefer it as it's one less thing I have to find hanging off my bp/w.

I bought an air-integrated computer, and I like it, but I am starting to think a wrist-mount will be my next purchase.

buddhasummer
10-29-2008, 22:54
mask, I just cannot seem to find one that fits and doesnt leak once in the water, its costing me a small wasted fortune...they all "seem" to fit great in the shop but once they hit the water they morph...

brandon
10-29-2008, 23:54
I'm not 100% satisfied with my drysuit, on account of it being just a little too big (20 pounds and another 2 inches of height would make it a perfect fit), but it works just fine. I'd eventually like to replace it, but hard to justify spending another $1500 + on something that works.

My lights sometimes make me cranky - I have two Light Cannons, one of which is cursed. There's a special incantation that has to be uttered before turning it on, and then it'll only spark while you're facing north. I'd like to replace it with a canister light, but again... it works (99% of the time), and $1200 for a canister light is awful spendy.

My SL4 backup also dangles unless I tuck it behind my shoulder strap - I suppose a piece of inner tube or bungee could fix that. And my other SL4 has a cranky switch that could be fixed by sending it back to UK or taking it apart and cleaning it...

Oh, and my left hand dry glove is always tricky to put on since someone stepped on the ring. Not bad enough to justify fixing it, it just doesn't go as smooth as the other one.

No real serious complaints I suppose... my gear is well used and has its quirks! I know all the ins and outs, and during the dive it sure feels close to perfection, just a few things I could see as being a little better or could use some TLC.

-B

Grizbear98
10-30-2008, 00:05
I wish my wetsuit zipped up the whole way at the ankles over my boots

dannybot
10-31-2008, 19:54
Hmm let's see: my Balance BCD has short shoulder straps; my GT3 reg requires constant adjustment on acsent/descent; Viper octo freeflows; sometimes my Visualator mask leaks; I have trouble with the buttons on my Gekko; three sets of boots that rub on my ankle; the seams are rough, or are not warm enough; Pinnacle hood chokes me; Shockwave II light is heavy; Olympus FE230 has shutterlag; Aeris compass on retractor sticks; zipper on Bodyglove 3/2 snags, Quattro fins hurt my ankles with strong kicks.

Everything is just as it should be!

coral cowgirl
10-31-2008, 22:06
Wetsuit needs replaced (too snug for easy off, camera needs strobes, need to switch to wrist mount computer, time for spring straps, and need a better lanyard on my new Nemo replacing the old one lost due to defective lanyard.

bsktcase93
10-31-2008, 22:10
i would def. go with a wrist mount computer... i currently am using the counsole mounted computer

Largo
10-31-2008, 22:53
Sea Snips:

I keep cutting off my appendiges, one joint at a time.

What am I doing wrong? Can't someone send me a user manual???

Lone Frogman
11-01-2008, 03:59
Dry suit is to large for me. Its still good for work, but wish it wasn't so large. Its like diving in a big air bubble. I got my eye on the Fuson.
CCR is the other thing I havn't got right, oh yeah I don't have one yet.