PDA

View Full Version : Environmentally Sealed...get it?

Cichlid
08-16-2007, 21:43
When buying a reg, would you get an environmentally sealed one if given the choice? I won't be diving cold water, but you never know...would you get it just in case?

cummings66
08-16-2007, 22:50
I would because not all water is clean, especially if you're a newer diver you may tend to stir up the muck. Plus, its easy in the Summer to get water cold enough to make a regulator free flow.

MtnDiver
08-17-2007, 09:09
Once again, cheap insurance...

BSea
08-17-2007, 09:15
I would get it. I mean why not? Unless you are looking at a base reg compared to a high end reg, the cost difference isn't much. They are no harder to work on (except the atomics) than the other. And you probably aren't going to work on your regs anyway. Besides, cold water that can freeze a reg is around 50 degrees, not 32.

WV Diver
08-17-2007, 09:18
YOu never know where your diving may take you, I think it is only about a $40 upgrade. I have it, but then I knew I needed it.

cummings66
08-17-2007, 18:26
Yup, one of my critera for owning a regulator is that it is sealed and able to handle the cold without additional kits being needed.

mike_s
08-17-2007, 22:33
Actually guys... an environmental sealed reg will freeze up just as quick as an unsealed one will during a prolonged free flow. There as a discussion on Deco stop a while back that backed this up. Even one of the equipment manufacturers agreed with it.

that said, an Env sealed reg is better for any water that is not perfectly clean. And lets face it, we don't always dive in silt free water.

dmdoss
08-17-2007, 23:52
I did get it. I dive alot of lakes, dont want the muck in my reg.

cummings66
08-18-2007, 07:14
Actually guys... an environmental sealed reg will freeze up just as quick as an unsealed one

A lot of the environmentally sealed regulators also come with some sort of enhancements to reduce the freezeups. Keep in mind you're talking about a long freeflow and we're mostly talking about normal operations. In that case they are better and more reliable.

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 12:04
I would because not all water is clean, especially if you're a newer diver you may tend to stir up the muck. Plus, its easy in the Summer to get water cold enough to make a regulator free flow.

I would go along with Matthew on this one.
It was never an issue for me where I dive, but for a global response, I would say why not purchase a sealed reg.

GDiver
08-18-2007, 16:44
Unfortunately, I purchased my Zeagle Envoy before I realized the need for an environmentally sealed regulator. I have had it get very difficult to breath while spending extended periods of time in water down to 38 degrees. Anyone know if there is some sort of kit to upgrade the reg?

tc_rain
08-18-2007, 22:38
When I bought my reg it was not sealed and I saved like $30.00. Now a year later, i realize what a mistake that was and it cost me $75.00 to correct. Buy the sealed. If not now you will be thankful later