PDA

View Full Version : Belize....anyone ever been?

spotteddog
08-16-2007, 22:13
Looking for ideas for my trip to Belize in a few weeks:smiley20:

mwhities
08-16-2007, 22:29
Looking for ideas for my trip to Belize in a few weeks:smiley20:

I only went there on a cruise and did the diving excursion. Not sure about what good dive shops/resorts there are there. Beautiful water though.

Michael

THT98
08-16-2007, 23:15
Hello-
I spent a week in Belize last winter on the Belize Aggressor. It was an awesome trip, and the diving was outstanding!
There are some really good places to visit if you have the chance. The Blue Hole is probably the most famous, however is quite a boat ride from the mainland. Other highlights are Lighthouse Reef and Turneffe Island. Ambergris Caye is a very popular place to stay and dive as well. I think you'll find whatever you decide to do well worth your time.

Have fun!

gtjason2000
08-17-2007, 08:30
I am currently researching belize for a possible trip in January. I have found that Caye Caulker is less expensive than Ambergis Caye for lodging. But Caye Caulker does not have as good beaches. Belize seems to be the only place so far that doesn't have packages for 10 dives. I think it is because most of the sights are a bit of a trip so they have excursion packages of 3 dives in one day at the blue hole. Does anyone know which Caye has the best local diving?

chinacat46
08-17-2007, 08:39
half moon caye

Xspect
08-17-2007, 09:53
You cant go wrong with any dive site in belize.

The beaches in Belize are very small, lots of crud washes up everyday. So basically you dont go to belize for the beach.

I am currently researching belize for a possible trip in January. I have found that Caye Caulker is less expensive than Ambergis Caye for lodging. But Caye Caulker does not have as good beaches. Belize seems to be the only place so far that doesn't have packages for 10 dives. I think it is because most of the sights are a bit of a trip so they have excursion packages of 3 dives in one day at the blue hole. Does anyone know which Caye has the best local diving?

Zenagirl
08-17-2007, 09:53
We did Belize on the Nekton Pilot, and I really believe that's the only way I want to dive Belize again. We were able to go to pristine reefs that only the Pilot, Aggressor, and Hughes boat visit (too far for the day boats) and when we compared those reefs to ones we dove that day boats had access to, there was a marked difference.

We also did 3 days inland (stayed in the Cayo District) after our liveaboard trip and went to Xunantunich, the zoo, and Tikal (in Guatemala). Wish we had more time inland, that's for sure. One thing's for sure, after spending 6 hours in Belize City, I'd strongly recommend that if you go to Belize, you stay anywhere but there. Talk about an armpit!!

GDiver
08-17-2007, 10:26
I went to Belize a few years ago. I stayed in Belize City for 3 days and then Ambergris Caye for 4 days. It was a great trip. I saw Mayan ruins and the zoo on the mainland and then incredible reefs from the Caye. The beaches on Ambergris Caye are not very good, but the dive trips are short. You can see the water breaking on the reef from the beach line. I went to Belize as a new diver and I didn't truly appreciate the spectacular diving conditions. I can't wait to get back there and do a live aboard. Have a great time!

spotteddog
08-17-2007, 18:50
I'm staying on Caye Caulker, and going mainly for Diving and Fishing...its cheap cheap cheap so far.....

bks
08-17-2007, 21:12
We spent a week on Ambegris Caye in July 2005. We dove with ProTech Dive and had a great time with small groups of divers. The nurse sharks are like puppy dogs as the dive operators feed them. The reefs are in great shape and there seems to be more fish life than in Cozumel. The town is some what undeveloped with dirt roads, but the food was great.

gtjason2000
08-22-2007, 15:59
My instructor told me to skip the blue hole as it is a waste of money. You drop to 130' to see the tip of the stalactites, burn through your air, and then surface. $200 for 3 dives. It seems to be listed as the dive site in belize but I think I will sit this one out.

deepdiver47
08-22-2007, 16:20
We spent a week on Ambegris Caye in July 2005. We dove with ProTech Dive and had a great time with small groups of divers. The nurse sharks are like puppy dogs as the dive operators feed them. The reefs are in great shape and there seems to be more fish life than in Cozumel. The town is some what undeveloped with dirt roads, but the food was great.

I agree Ambergris Caye is where you want to stay and get a dive op from.
Belize City is a pit and I would not recommend it. Stay on the island

cutter77
08-22-2007, 23:38
"I agree Ambergris Caye is where you want to stay and get a dive op from.
Belize City is a pit and I would not recommend it. Stay on the island."
-__________________________
That makes three, gotta' agree. Great diving but best out on atolls. Belize City is a dump.

thesmoothdome
08-22-2007, 23:51
I agree with Zenagirl. We did Belize on the Sun Dancer II last month and it was awesome. The first day of diving was on Turneffee and it was ok at best. The rest of the diving was out at Lighthouse and Half Moon Caye and was complete awesome. If you can, hook up with a liveaboard, it's definately the way to see Belize and the service is spectacular.

As for gtjason2000's comments about the blue hole, I'm glad I was able to do the dive because it is a once in the life time dive, but I doubt I'd rush back to do it again. I'm deinfately glad that I didn't have to make a 2 hour boat trip out to the site though. Don't pass it up because others say it's not worth this or that. Do it and make the decision yourself. The highlight of the dive were definately the reef sharks.

renthal
08-23-2007, 20:02
We have been going to Turneffe Flats for 4 years running www.tflats.com Great location, small, and you are 30 miles from Belize City, which reminds me of Tijuana without the glitz. Check it out.

CharlieSierra
08-24-2007, 02:05
It's been a few years, but we did the cruise excursion thing and ended up with Hugh Parkey's operation. Probably the best treatment we have received with a dive op yet.

clazie
08-24-2007, 03:13
I caught one of the last flights out before Dean hit land...whew. I stayed on Caye Caulker and Ambergris (San Pedro), my preference was Caye Caulker. I just liked it more it was a little more to my laid back taste. Ambergris had too many tourists zooming around in golf carts. The thing that is better about Caye Caulker is that it is closer to Turneffe. The Elbow was a great dive. I had to go to 6 different dive shops before I found someone that WASNT doing the Blue Hole. I have heard from numerous people that it was basically as you said earlier ...130ft, burn up air, and the deco was where you saw the best stuff. I really wanted to go down south and dive near Placencia and Dangriga over at Laughing Caye and Glover Atoll/ Reef. That is supposed to be some awesome diving, I made it there at the end of my trip but we decided to head back to Caye Caulker but they wouldnt let me dive, something about hurricane warnings or something silly like that.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

-Clazie