PDA

View Full Version : Good Dive Spots In Michigan For Beginners

BarbadosSlim93
10-28-2008, 20:39
Hi all. I am new to diving and will be certified soon. I was wondering if anyone could suggest and good spots for a beginner to hit in Michigan. I live in Midland and am curious to see what you have to suggest.

obrules15
10-29-2008, 08:06
Hi all. I am new to diving and will be certified soon. I was wondering if anyone could suggest and good spots for a beginner to hit in Michigan. I live in Midland and am curious to see what you have to suggest.

I live near you and my favorite places to dive in Michigan are Cozumel, MX and Roatan Bay, HN. :smiley20: I think that the problem is that some of the cool stuff here is deep and cold.

gNats
10-29-2008, 08:21
Welcome to Michigan Diving!

I am in the Metro Detroit area and relatively new to Michigan diving also. I'm really not sure what options you will have near Midland - check with a local dive shop for advice.

However,

There are tons of diving opportunities in the Great Lakes - you should consider the wreck diving course as early as possible next season to take advantage of these dives. Also, I know of a lot of people who dive in the rivers near Port Huron. These are just a squosh more advanced than beginner, mostly because of depth or current.

I only know of one state park that has scuba diving - Island Lake. It's near Brighton.

Myself, I have been making the 1.5-2 hr trek to Ohio. There are 3 quarries in the Northwest portion of Ohio that are dedicated to divers and are great ways to meet other divers. Lots to see at each site and there is camping either on site or nearby and local area motels/eateries.

The quarries in Ohio have given me an opportunity to work on boyancy and technique in a relatively controlled environment. Viz may not always be the greatest, but the water is pretty calm and still.

Do me a favor and post back to this site if you learn of any inland dive spots on your side of the state (Midland and North) that have diving opportunities.

crosseyed95
10-29-2008, 11:16
I'm from the U.P. and not familiar with the Midland area. Best bet would be to talk to other divers at your LDS or your instructor.

However, keep in mind that if there is water, you can dive it (with the disclaimer that you should stay away from boat traffic routes, boat landings, etc.). Chris Kohl has a book out called "The Great Lakes Diving Guide". It has tons of ship wrecks (some deep, some shallow) along with some info on shore diving. It also rates the dives location (beginner, advanced, etc).

If you talk with your LDS and then maybe purchase this book, it will give you the thought pattern on where to go.

As a previous response mentioned, it would be a good idea to get your advanced since it will open up tons of diving opportunities for you.

Suggestions for some shore dives in Upper Michigan
St Ignace (City Park on south side of town)
Mackinaw City (anywhere on the North Side. Not much to see but the rock structures are interesting)
Munising (tons of shore diving opportunities there)
Manistique (again, plenty of shore diving opportunities)

Good luck and enjoy the diving. If you are ever coming up to my neck of the woods and would like some directions, feel free to post or PM me.

crosseyed95

cyclone3565
10-29-2008, 12:04
Being from the Grand Rapids area originally, I know there are some nice, shallow wrecks off the Holland/Muskegan area. There is also a nice on about 8 miles offshore Chicago, several down by the Michigan City area. Get ready for the cold, 43 degrees is the warmest I ever saw.

ScubaJ
10-29-2008, 14:25
These sites may be of use to you.

Great Lakes Shipwrecks: Michigan Underwater Preserves (http://www.michiganpreserves.org/)

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Michigan, USA Mid (http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_Mid/Michigan/index.htm)

BarbadosSlim93
10-29-2008, 19:58

I live near you and my favorite places to dive in Michigan are Cozumel, MX and Roatan Bay, HN. :smiley20: I think that the problem is that some of the cool stuff here is deep and cold.

Do you visit a LDS in the area? If so, which one do you go to? I know there is one open off Washington in Bay City now (I work just down the street). I am going to be doing my classes through Seaquatics in Midland. Have you heard of them?

Merrimorte
11-07-2008, 06:31
It is a little drive from ya, but the Sanilac shores under water preserve may offer you some cool dives. There are a great deal of wrecks over there... some are for more novice divers although a good deal are for the experienced. Contact a charter op in the area there.. they could give you some more info on it too.. Here's one with a good reputation Rec and Tec Scuba Dive Charters - Lexington Michigan, Thumb area Preserve, Sanilac Preserve (http://www.rectecdivecharters.com/)

and some more info on it : Divers Association of Mid-Michigan (http://www.dammdivers.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17&sid=7d61bafe6fd34156016b0a30f539fd98)

Hope it helps!

tiggrr
11-17-2008, 02:56
The season for Sanilac Shores Preserve diving starts about May/June.

The other 2 charters that run out of there are Bruno's Bruno's Dive Shop - Diving the Great Lakes since 1968 (http://www.brunosdiveshop.com)

And Four Fathoms Four Fathoms. Scuba Equipment, Training, Michigan Wreck Diving. (http://www.fourfathomsdiving.com)

They are both well respected charters as well. Bruno's takes students out almost every weekend for checkouts. They might be your better bet for a first time trip. Both Bruno's and Rec N Tec both have a DM on board if you need a buddy. Four Fathoms is a small 6 pack and they normally run groups.

If you are ever interested in coming down to the Milford area, we have Spring Mill Pond (Island Lake) and Union Lake. The dive shops in the area have all contributed to make them fun places to dive. There are platforms, picnic tables, sunken boats, snow mobile, Sponge Bob, and even an Aphrodite statue. We'll be going in until it freezes over. After that, I am surface support. lol

Like they said above, check with your LDS.

And that was a great line..... if there is water, you can dive it. :)