PDA

View Full Version : Gear

chewyjr15
08-17-2007, 00:04
Im going to become certafied by PADI and im going to want to buy a BC a Reg and a dive coimputer and pay no more than a grand what are my options?

Thanks

Foo2
08-17-2007, 00:11
Here is a link to packages that ST has put together...great prices!
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Package_BC_Reg.asp

Phestr
08-17-2007, 06:46
Yeah, if you're gonna get everything, you are much better off with a package deal. And you get 10% off at ScubaToys, sowhy not?

Zenagirl
08-17-2007, 06:47
And remember that ST will put together a custom "package" for you if you don't like any of the ones they put together themselves. :D

cummings66
08-17-2007, 07:20
Plus the GC which comes at 250 postings. I'd say start talking around here and when you hit 250 posts get the certificate and then buy something.

Now to be honest I'd wait until the class is done, at least see if you like diving. Some people think they'll love it and end up hating it.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-17-2007, 07:27
Plus the GC which comes at 250 postings. I'd say start talking around here and when you hit 250 posts get the certificate and then buy something.

Now to be honest I'd wait until the class is done, at least see if you like diving. Some people think they'll love it and end up hating it.

i agree, make sure you have completed the course and know its for you for sure, then go out and get the gear and have fun.

Illini_Fan
08-17-2007, 07:30

I'd second this -- use rental or loaner during the OW class at a minimum. If possible try different BC (jacket vs back-inflate), borrow a wrist computer to see if you like that for a dive vs having the computer on a console or retractor.

Testing regulators is more difficult --but again, if possible try to find someone with an integrated inflater/octo vs the standard octo setup to see if you like that equipment set-up.

It is great to have your own gear, but try as many different combinations within your price range as you can, because you really need to be comfortable in your gear.

torrey
08-17-2007, 08:34
If I were going to do it all over again, I'd probably go with the Everything is Special Zeagle & Tusa Package (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleTusaPack). I spent a lot more several years ago when I didn't know any better, didn't have the tools for research that we have today, and relied on a salesman to help me choose.

On that package, assuming you're outside of Texas (therefore no sales tax) and didn't change anything, the 10% discount would knock off $115, and then posting gift certificates would eventually drop it another $60 bringing it under $1k.

thor
08-17-2007, 09:01

I'd second this -- use rental or loaner during the OW class at a minimum. If possible try different BC (jacket vs back-inflate), borrow a wrist computer to see if you like that for a dive vs having the computer on a console or retractor.

Testing regulators is more difficult --but again, if possible try to find someone with an integrated inflater/octo vs the standard octo setup to see if you like that equipment set-up.

It is great to have your own gear, but try as many different combinations within your price range as you can, because you really need to be comfortable in your gear.

I agree. Why spend twice. While I suggest getting your own equipmnet as quickly as possible (best way to improve) , you don't want to end up spending money on a BC that you use once and hate or a reg that you outgrow after 5 dives. At your checkout, or even in the pool, see if your instructor has any gear you can try. I think this is especially important for a BC.

BSea
08-17-2007, 09:09
If I were going to do it all over again, I'd probably go with the Everything is Special Zeagle & Tusa Package (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleTusaPack). I spent a lot more several years ago when I didn't know any better, didn't have the tools for research that we have today, and relied on a salesman to help me choose.

On that package, assuming you're outside of Texas (therefore no sales tax) and didn't change anything, the 10% discount would knock off $115, and then posting gift certificates would eventually drop it another $60 bringing it under $1k.
I have to 2nd this package. It is a package you won't outgrow anytime soon. The computer does 2 gas mixes, so if you get into nitrox & get a pony bottle you'll be ready. Plus, if you wanted to mount it on your wrist, then you could remove it from the boot & get a wrist mount. So the setup is versatile.

The brigade is a great bc that will handle almost anything you'll be interested in doing with the exception of doubles. Plus it's a good travel bc. If it were me, I'd add the back trim pockets.

The reg is rock solid. Many tech divers choose this reg for it's reliability & the fact that it's environmentaly sealed. So you can use it in cold water should you need to.

chewyjr15
08-17-2007, 13:24
ok. Would you reccomend upgrading to the ranger BC? Also would you recomend upgrading to the more expensive reg or is this fine for me? Also i will not be buying equipment untilI know that i like the sport. What size bc would i need if im 6 foot 1 and a bit and 200 pounds?

Thanks

deepdiver47
08-17-2007, 13:31
Chewy, I have had a Ranger for years. To be clear, a Brigade is a Ranger with an Escape air bladder. A bladder that can lift 44 lbs can now lift 35.

What does that mean to you? Buy a Ranger if you KNOW that you are going to dive with dual tanks or if you are going to need to put an enormous amount of weight (i.e. dive in very cold weather with thicker wetsuit). I don't think your size alone warrants a Ranger.

The Brigade is better for traveling as it packs easier and is probably more efficient UW due to smaller footprint. I am in the process of making this bladder change myself as the Ranger bladder is overkill for me. Go to the BCD section of the gear forum for more of a discussion on the Brigade/Ranger.

Deep

Illini_Fan
08-17-2007, 13:36
deepdiver gave the answer before I could type it -- but I completely agree, no need to upgrade to the Ranger.

I have a Brigade (size Large) and I'm just over 6'1 and usually in the low 190s, but this was a travel week, so I'm probably in the high 190s. Anyway the Brigade fits great.

I'm not a reg expert, but the one shown is adjustable, sealed and balanced -- I don't think you will outgrow it anytime in the near future, thus I wouldn't upgrade.