PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 anyone?

Black-Gorrilla
10-29-2008, 12:20
Any of you guys follow Formula 1?
if so...

What do you guys think about the final race? Massa needs 1st place, with Hamilton in 6th to win the tittle... while Hamilton only needs 5th to be the youngest champion ever... Is Ferrari gonna pull some sneaky stuff (like that Massa passing Kimmi last race when there was no way he could catch up from that far back.... the whole "team orders" not being allowed)
What about Alonso's statement "i will do anything i can to help Ferrari win"

mitsuguy
10-29-2008, 14:28
I prefer Champ myself.... still try to catch the Indy races when they are on though... can't seem to keep up with them all

Defman
10-29-2008, 14:35
I am.. If Lewis can protect himself from....well, himself, I think he's got a REALLY strong chance!

Hopefully someone pulls their head out of their @$$ and nixes that whole "only one engine" idea that's being tossed around. F1 is, and always has been, the premier motorsport, if you don't have the $$$ to compete then go home.

PaulThomas
10-29-2008, 21:08
I'll be pulling for Massa even if I don't really like him. I'm against the spec engine, F1 has always been about innovation. The team that's able to put out the best car, usually wins and attracts the best drivers.

I'd like F1 to go back to the early 90's. The cars were not as fast, but the racing was much more interesting.

Black-Gorrilla
10-30-2008, 00:04
well, for this season and the past 10... the cars have been on grooved tires. next year, they go back to slicks (even faster than now)
i dont like the frozen engines either... i think they should let them develop away... but that would not be good for next year, as some of the teams... Mclaren included... got rid of the engine developers for the fact that they had nothing to do... so they would need to re-staff.

I personally hope that Lewis comes out on top. (yes, beats the Brasilian and wins the tittle)
Massa is too reckless too much of the time(and not a good reckless, like Prost or Senna...)

Lj82
10-30-2008, 01:30
I don't really like Massa.....but I hope he wins. Somehow my opinion of Hamilton isn't very high after the saga between him and alonso last season. I'm not a die-hard fan though so I'm not too concerned anyway.

By the way...the 1st night race in Singapore was a beauty wasn't it? :)

PaulThomas
10-30-2008, 09:01
Slicks should make things more interesting, more mechanical grip these cars have equals more passing all other things being equal.

I'd love to see a big revision of the rules in which we let them go wild on the design. In order to keep the car at "safe" speeds and put the driver back into the equation, give them smaller engines and bring back the turbo :). Take anything electric out of the car (the engine would have to run off magnetos). Add some weight to the cars and figure out a way to decrease braking performance.
Shorter the pit road and remove the speed limit

Black-Gorrilla
10-30-2008, 20:21
Slicks should make things more interesting, more mechanical grip these cars have equals more passing all other things being equal.

I'd love to see a big revision of the rules in which we let them go wild on the design. In order to keep the car at "safe" speeds and put the driver back into the equation, give them smaller engines and bring back the turbo :). Take anything electric out of the car (the engine would have to run off magnetos). Add some weight to the cars and figure out a way to decrease braking performance.
Shorter the pit road and remove the speed limit

well... as we saw trough the season, these guys have plenty of break problems as is... and do i even need to mention pit lane problems?? Some of those pit lanes are barely wide enough for one car, and factor Massa pulling out in to the lane, reckless, with 10feet of fuel hose hanging off his car...
As for electrical... they are adding Kers (90 horsepower burst for a short period) and that should make for awesome passing and of course... more mistakes as well.

ScubaToys Larry
10-30-2008, 20:27
I really don't follow racing at all... but I'm hanging at the paintball place tonight as we have two teams playing paintball to blow off some steam before the weekend race... Got Rausch and Ganassi taking each other on it paintball tonight.

Defman
10-30-2008, 20:35
and factor Massa pulling out in to the lane, reckless, with 10feet of fuel hose hanging off his car...

DUDE!!! Totally not Massa's fault, the light system they used told him to go and he did. I never liked the idea of that thing and I always knew it would f-up at some point causing a problem.

Black-Gorrilla
10-30-2008, 21:40
and factor Massa pulling out in to the lane, reckless, with 10feet of fuel hose hanging off his car...

DUDE!!! Totally not Massa's fault, the light system they used told him to go and he did. I never liked the idea of that thing and I always knew it would f-up at some point causing a problem.

thats just Ferrari's "look at me" system... and because of it... 3 or 4 pit errors this season...
every other team has the lollipop... a stick with a sign on the end of it...

greenmoray
10-30-2008, 23:54
I'm a Ferrari fan first. So it means I'm rooting for Felipe but would see no objections to see Lewis wins his first title. He deserves it should he win.

neugierig
10-31-2008, 07:36
im rooting for lewis this weekend.

he deserves this championship. i won't be surprised if the FIA hands ferrari another assist tho.

Lj82
10-31-2008, 08:23
im rooting for lewis this weekend.

he deserves this championship. i won't be surprised if the FIA hands ferrari another assist tho.

That's possible...The FIA seems very bias towards Ferrari.

Black-Gorrilla
10-31-2008, 09:14
Ferrari got away with a lot of stuff this season. The FIA is definitely not as strict on them as they are all the other teams.
Friday practice 1 results..... top 5 sees both Ferrari drivers, both Mclaren Drivers, and the faster BMW of the season.

Massa 1.12.305
Lewis 1.12.495
Kimmi 1.12.507
Kubica 1.12.874
Heikki 1.12.925

TennisCoach
10-31-2008, 14:16
Alonso said that he will help Massa in any way he can to help him win. I think that Hamilton handles the preasure too good. I hope Massa wins the championship but it is gonna be hard. Hopefully Alonso will do good on his word and help out.

TennisCoach
10-31-2008, 14:22
I'll be pulling for Massa even if I don't really like him. I'm against the spec engine, F1 has always been about innovation. The team that's able to put out the best car, usually wins and attracts the best drivers.
The funny thing on this is that they made this rule to make it more competitive and the first 3 manufactures are the same Ferrari, Mercedes and either BMW or Renault. I agree with what it was said here before. If you can not play with the big dog$$$ stay in the porch.

neugierig
10-31-2008, 18:44
too bad there's not gonna be a US GP anytime soon.

i think the racing scene in the US is already crowded, and there's not a lot of room for F1

Defman
10-31-2008, 20:29
too bad there's not gonna be a US GP anytime soon.

i think the racing scene in the US is already crowded, and there's not a lot of room for F1

They are (or were) trying to get something going again.

dannybot
10-31-2008, 20:36
Alonso said that he will help Massa in any way he can to help him win. I think that Hamilton handles the preasure too good. I hope Massa wins the championship but it is gonna be hard. Hopefully Alonso will do good on his word and help out.

Remember Prost and Senna way back early 90's or late 80's? What if Alonso takes out Hamilton in the first turn?

Both Massa and Hamilton have had bad luck and made big mistakes throughout the year, but look where they are. Too bad Kubica couldn't hang on longer, he is a rising star. But I hope Lewis wins, how long has it been for Mclaren?

Black-Gorrilla
11-01-2008, 10:20

Remember Prost and Senna way back early 90's or late 80's? What if Alonso takes out Hamilton in the first turn?

Both Massa and Hamilton have had bad luck and made big mistakes throughout the year, but look where they are. Too bad Kubica couldn't hang on longer, he is a rising star. But I hope Lewis wins, how long has it been for Mclaren?

Kubica is doing great, he's got it in him. i wish he would have closed the gap so maybe we would see a 3way fight for the tittle at the final race.
these newer guys like Kubica and Glock and Vettel are doing some very good things for Formula 1. they are putting the cars you cant see winning, at the podium... and beating the best teams and the best drivers on their favorite tracks in the worst racing conditions...:smiley20:

it's been a few years for Mclaren.... Mikka Hakkinen 99 right? almost 10 years...:smiley5:

Those Prost and Senna days were awesome... the racing then was on another level... Imagine what it would be like if Senna, Prost, Fittipaldi, Mansell or Berger got their hands on one of these 08-09 F1 cars... you would see some of the most incredible racing ever. Those guys were the hardcore division of racing (mid 90's and earlier). The top tittle contenders really went at each other(litterally). even team mates would get in to the tussles and both end up off the road fighting for first...

rumblefish
11-01-2008, 19:54
I hope Hamilton wins. I'm just not a Massa fan. I don't really follow it as much as I did a few years ago, as some of the politics of the sport started to really annoy me. That being said, this has been a good season with lots of different teams up front.

I hope they do something radical to make the racing more competitive. If I had a choice, I'd lessen aerodynamic grip and make teams go more towards mechanical grip. How? Ban the rear wings.

sravin1
11-01-2008, 20:01
Massa all the way. Always been a ferrari fan and always will be. Personally, I think Hamilton needs to have his head reexamined (assuming that it has been examined already). He thinks of himself as the new ;demi god' of F1, claiming to go after schu's record and having an autobiography at 23. Seriously, it blows my mind how much one can blow his own horn.

Anyways, I am hoping he plays his 'Natural game' and does something stupid without injuring anybody ofcourse....

Black-Gorrilla
11-01-2008, 22:57
we will witness for sure, a gigantic accident tomorrow when they take off. guaranteed.!!

Massa, in front of Kimmi... kimmi's gonna squeze up for sure, and of course, he's next to Lewis... at least 8 cars involved.

thank god these cars are so safe now a days.

dannybot
11-02-2008, 13:42
Wow did you see that finish? Who would have thunk? Nailbiter to the end, the last corner!!!!

Black-Gorrilla
11-02-2008, 15:31
Wow did you see that finish? Who would have thunk? Nailbiter to the end, the last corner!!!!

incredible finish!!!

Defman
11-02-2008, 16:49

Wow, just wow!

Haven't seen a nailbiter like that since a couple of years ago in NHRA when Schumacher dropped "The Run" on them.

Lj82
11-02-2008, 19:51
Incredible finish.
I thought Massa had won it, and that would have been dramatic enough.
Crazy finish to the race, and the season as well.

Black-Gorrilla
11-02-2008, 20:34
Incredible finish.
I thought Massa had won it, and that would have been dramatic enough.
Crazy finish to the race, and the season as well.

technically Massa was champion for 38 seconds... and then Lewis passed the Toyota on dry tires. (if he had gone in for wets, Lewis would have been champion either way... so not his fault)

sravin1
11-02-2008, 20:55
glock could have held on...he chose not to be involved. atleast that's what it looked like. looked as though he waved lweis by....

best race in recent times though....

Black-Gorrilla
11-02-2008, 21:44
glock could have held on...he chose not to be involved. atleast that's what it looked like. looked as though he waved lweis by....

i doubt that... he was on worn dry tires... you cant compare worn dry tires on a fast wet turn, to the inters (made for rain) on a fast wet turn... you could see the guys on wets getting ready to spin out on those long fast turns...

The race was pretty good, but uneventful from after the start, till the rain came...

greenmoray
11-04-2008, 18:34
Wow! What a finish.

Lewis lost by 1 point last year, now he won by 1. I guess that evens out for him.

Black-Gorrilla
11-04-2008, 21:40
i cant wait to see the 09 cars. wider, faster and for sure, even better looking (at first before they add 1000 little flaps and winglets and what not by the 5th race)

Lj82
11-05-2008, 00:40
i cant wait to see the 09 cars. wider, faster and for sure, even better looking (at first before they add 1000 little flaps and winglets and what not by the 5th race)

I am very eager to see the F1 back in Singapore next year.
Was pretty stunned when it was announed that Singapore would be hosting one of the F1 races, even more so when it was made known to us that the race would be the first night race in F1's history. Caused quited a stir here and got people really excited about it.

neugierig
11-05-2008, 07:38
probably one of the best finishes i've ever seen.

congrats to lewis on his 1st WDC. may have been late a year, but he deserves this one

i really feel for massa too tho. he showed his class in the end by congratulating hamilton and being a good sport.

Defman
11-05-2008, 12:57
Alonso & Piquet are back at Renault for next year.