PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the wide angle lens on SeaLife ECOshot?

heydn62
10-29-2008, 14:33
I'm thinking about buying the wide angle lens for my SL321. Does anyone know if the lens blocks the built in flash? It looks like it might. Strobe is not in the budget. Wouldn't get much benefit from the lens without flash.

Thanks,

heydn62
06-21-2009, 20:41
Still wondering about this. I like my SL321, but can't get within 2 ft of anything small and keep it clear. Don't really want to pour big bucks into a photo setup just yet, but if this lens adapter is any good, I'd try it. Anybody out there use one?

FishFood
06-21-2009, 21:22
The camera should be able to focus on objects starting at 12 inches I believe. However, you must put the camera in 'macro mode'. Probably a button that looks like a flower.

And yes, the lens will block part of the flash.

Wormzer
07-06-2009, 15:37
Yes, the wide angle lens will block the built in flash. However, using the built in flash underwater rarely produces good results. Since the flash and lens are at the same angle to the subject, every little particle floating in front of your subject will reflect the flash back to the lens.

I have a reefmaster, and I turn off the flash and put camera in "sea mode". Fewer pictures end up in the garbage bin this way.

If you want/need flash, you must get the strobe.

Wormzer
07-06-2009, 15:55
Also, I use the wide angle lens with my reefmaster without flash, in sea mode. I do not have a strobe.

The benefit of the wide angle lens is not just macro photography. It is also used to decrease the shooting distance. Being able to frame the entire length of a diver from a distance of 4 ft rather than 8 ft produces better results. That's 4 ft less of water/particles between the lens and the subject.