PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Awards

Mmm Scuba
08-17-2007, 04:04
I recently witnessed a guy solo dive without a flag, computer, watch, spg, depth gauge, or octo. I wanted to say something but, what? He obviously thought he knew what he was doing.

I'm sure everone has witnessed something equally stupid. What do you say that won't just make them mad?

Buoyant1
08-17-2007, 06:51
I recently witnessed a guy solo dive without a flag, computer, watch, spg, depth gauge, or octo. I wanted to say something but, what? He obviously thought he knew what he was doing.

I'm sure everone has witnessed something equally stupid. What do you say that won't just make them mad?

Do you really think that it will work if you DO say something? Obviously he's made his choice to deviate from safe practice.

JugglingMonkeys
08-17-2007, 06:59
sooner or later such people pay the price.
sadly.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-17-2007, 09:15
sadly.

Yeah and then my family wastes no time in telling me how dangerous Scuba is. My reply is always the same "It's only as dangerous as stupid will allow!" :smiley36:

rubberduck
08-17-2007, 09:18
sadly.

Yeah and then my family wastes no time in telling me how dangerous Scuba is. My reply is always the same "It's only as dangerous as stupid will allow!" :smiley36:

Very true.

unclepooty
08-17-2007, 09:19
sadly.
or others pay the price try to help them

BSea
08-17-2007, 09:20

Was his name Mike Nelson? If so, he didn't have a BC either.

ScaredSilly
08-17-2007, 12:46
What do you say that won't just make them mad?

Excuse me, hope you do not mind me asking but I notice that your diving is pretty minimal curious to know more about it as I am not sure I would feel that comfortable in the water.

They might say yeah I normally do not do this but I need to go check on bouy so I am not worried. Or they could say screw you and the SPG you blew in on :D.

thesmoothdome
08-17-2007, 13:20
I've seen guys scrub boat hulls like that. I probably wouldn't say anything as it's not my place to police the sport, but I'd keep an eye out just to see what he was really doing out there.

namabiru
08-17-2007, 13:37
Stupid is as stupid does, you know.

What *was* the guy doing? What was the guy's depth? I suppose if you were going down for a quick down-and-up (to set a dive anchor, or to check the hull), it'd be a different story.

frankc420
08-17-2007, 19:53
It wasn't the solo diver that they pulled out of the water a few days ago was it?

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/237/popup/index.php?cl=3474161

cummings66
08-18-2007, 07:25
I recently witnessed a guy solo dive without a flag, computer, watch, spg, depth gauge, or octo. I wanted to say something but, what?

I don't know where this occurred, but in our areas a dive flag is not required to dive and in some areas not needed because it's setup for diving and diving only. In open water where boats roam I'd say it's a nice touch, but again it's not a requirement.

I have a dive flag by the way for those areas.

If it was me I'd have talked with the guy and seen what was up in a nice manner.

awmurray
08-23-2007, 09:01
When I was doing my OW checkout dives, I saw a guy swimming around in the rock quarry with nothing but fins, mask and a tank under his right arm.

He was swimming by the class at about 25 feet deep. I saw him again about 10 minutes later, too.

jeraldjcook
08-23-2007, 09:05

Yes, but that was the norm 30 years ago. Watch old episodes of Flipper. I know a guy (45ish) who is an old navy diver and that's how he dives.

edit: He does use a j-valve though. And a watch.

Jaymeany
08-23-2007, 09:11
Trying to correct people who are doing stupid things reverses natural selection :smiley2:

cummings66
08-23-2007, 16:32
In some cases that isn't a bad thing. The thing about Darwin award recipients is they sometimes take the innocent with them.

Jaymeany
08-23-2007, 16:33
"The Gene pool needs some chlorine" ~ bumpersticker

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 16:42

Dude, can I have your truck if you drown?

RECDiver
08-23-2007, 23:45
He obviously did not know what he was doing. I probably would have asked him if he was planning on dying today.

Phestr
08-24-2007, 01:55

Definately. And if he does get mad...well, maybe it'll make him think.

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 07:27
"The Gene pool needs some chlorine" ~ bumpersticker

My sig on another forum for a while was:
The problem with the gene pool is there's no lifeguard."

Flatliner
08-24-2007, 07:34

Definately. And if he does get mad...well, maybe it'll make him think.

I hope everyone realizes that this was a bit of a tounge in cheek post. The truth of the matter is a little humor might just open up a conversation with this guy so that you can determine if he is uninformed or just stupid. Uninformed can be cured, stupid is intractable.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 08:45
Come on flatliner, don't backpedal. That line was damn funny!

FD