PDA

View Full Version : New Dorcy Lite vs. OxyCheq Raider

Ron G.
10-31-2008, 20:54
Well, I was reading a discussion here about the new Dorcy lite just about the time I was getting ready to get a second lite to back up my OxyCheq.

I had originally intended to just get a second OxyCheq, since I was happy with mine, but decided I'd try something different. I now have both and thought I'd offer some comparisons.

Let me be clear: I'm a relatively new diver and am in no way expert regarding lites. Also, I haven't tried the Dorcy lite underwater.

The Dorcy light is about an inch longer. I'm sure it will still fit in my BCD pocket, though. It has a smooth metal finish. I prefer the textured grip area of the OxyCheq. As mentioned, the Dorcy takes 6 AAA batteries, the Oxycheq takes 3 AA's. The OxyCheq is supposed to get 4 hours of burn time, the Dorcy 8. (I put about 4 hours on my OxyCheq during a recent trip. I don't know how much longer it would have gone.)

The Dorcy may be a bit brighter, but it is a much more focused beam. Standing about 30' away, the Dorcy had a very well-defined (and bright) spot about 4' in diameter. The OxyCheq had a much less well-defined bright area (less bright than the Dorcy's spot) of about 10' diameter. Both had a much larger spillover area (also much less bright, but comparable for both). The OxyCheq has a sturdy, centrally located "loop" for attaching a lanyard. The Dorcy comes with a fairly flimsy lanyard, but the attachment point is on the edge of the base with two relatively narrow holes to thread a lanyard through.

My personal conclusion: the only thing I like more about the Dorcy is the advertised burn time, but I haven't verified it as accurate. I prefer a larger, more diffuse spot (like the OxyCheq). I also prefer the OxyCheq's smaller size, textured grip, and lanyard loop.

Ron

cbope
11-02-2008, 12:51
Great mini-review, thanks. Please post back after you've used the Dorcy underwater and tell us how it compares to the OxyCheq.

I had pretty much made up my mind to get the OxyCheq, when the info on the Dorcy came along and screwed up my plans. Now I'm not sure and I'm leaning towards the Dorcy. Something about the reliability of the OxyCheq bothers me, based on a few posts I've seen. Burn time is not a big factor for me, although the Dorcy gets extra points for that.

cbope
11-19-2008, 13:04
Have you gotten the Dorcy wet? I'm ready to order one, I prefer the tighter beam that you describe compared to the OxyCheq.

mike_s
11-19-2008, 13:15
I've got the new Dorcy light and really like how bright it is, but I haven't gotten it wet yet. While I haven't used it diving yet, a friend has and was really impressed at how bright it was.

but it's pretty dang bright and by specifications brighter than the Oxycheck. I've been thinking about buying the Oxycheq though to compare though as I've heard good reviews on it.

Anyway, here is a review of the Dorcy Light I put on Scubaboard with some pics.
Dorcy brand dive light. Anyone used them? - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/255122-dorcy-brand-dive-light-anyone-used-them.html)

and also on ST forum http://forum.scubatoys.com/lights/17936-new-dorcy-dive-light.html

If you're going to order one, you can get 20% off and free shipping at their website Dorcy Direct (http://www.dorcydirect.com/) by putting in the discount code SCUBA. Just FYI as that will save you easily $20 bucks with the discount and free shipping.

oh... btw.. I replaced the loop that came with the Dorcy to a more customized one. much better.

hope that helps.

Mike

Drewskey
11-20-2008, 13:08
Mike,

thanks for the heads up in regards to the "SCUBA" coupon code. I ordered two- one for my wife and one myself. When I told her I had ordered she wanted me to cancel the order for 'reasons.' I convinced her that we would keep them around anyway. I now think that Santa is going to bring me a new can-light!!!!

cbope
11-23-2008, 05:59
I went ahead and ordered mine with the scuba code discount. I don't think I can be disappointed at that price ($55+free shipping). Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it wet for a while though... winter's here so no diving for a while.

mike_s
11-25-2008, 09:25
Mike,

thanks for the heads up in regards to the "SCUBA" coupon code. I ordered two- one for my wife and one myself. When I told her I had ordered she wanted me to cancel the order for 'reasons.' I convinced her that we would keep them around anyway. I now think that Santa is going to bring me a new can-light!!!!

My wife doesn't dive and even she likes this light. It's the light she wants to use now when she goes and looks for the cat at night when she can't get him in. (because it will shine across our yard and the neighbors yard and will light up the cats eyes from a far distance).

Drewskey
11-26-2008, 22:58
I have been doing a little more research on the K2 Luxeon LED series. More so the LXK2-PWC4-0180. It seems the LXK2-PWC4-0180 is a min lumens of 180 @ 1mA while it lists the 'typical' lumens at 150 @ 700 mA... I don't know who to trust anymore as Dorcy lists their Lumens at 180! What is the light pushing and can the amperage be adjusted via pin settings or replacing a driver chip? It would be nice to overdrive it for sure!

cbope
11-27-2008, 14:21
Do you mean 180 @ 1A? That would make sense if typical output is 150 @ 700mA. In fact, that 1A rating probably "is" overdriven mode (hence the higher current draw).

I have been doing a little more research on the K2 Luxeon LED series. More so the LXK2-PWC4-0180. It seems the LXK2-PWC4-0180 is a min lumens of 180 @ 1mA while it lists the 'typical' lumens at 150 @ 700 mA... I don't know who to trust anymore as Dorcy lists their Lumens at 180! What is the light pushing and can the amperage be adjusted via pin settings or replacing a driver chip? It would be nice to overdrive it for sure!

Drewskey
11-28-2008, 12:13
Do you mean 180 @ 1A? That would make sense if typical output is 150 @ 700mA. In fact, that 1A rating probably "is" overdriven mode (hence the higher current draw).

Whoops. Yes 1A. I originally typed 1000mA, but erased it for some reason. After looking through their spec sheet, they can operate at 1500mA. Would be nice.