PDA

View Full Version : pockets...zip or velcro?

kingfish
11-01-2008, 02:32
I am looking to get a couple of pockets put on my drysuit in a few weeks and i have the option to get velcro or a zip.

The bloke at the shop told me he prefers the zip as you can partially open it and everything doesnt fall out where velcro may when in a horizontal position.

He said they have a left and right pocket so the zip tag ends up at the top when horizontal on both sides.

They also have velcro which i was originally looking to get as i was thinking it had less chance of becoming a failure point.

I am looking to put my DSMB and spool in one of them at the moment mainly, but i am heading toward technical diving in the future and i was wondering what people that have used pockets, opinions are.

Cheers,
Jas.

DarkCoffee
11-01-2008, 08:08
I like/hate my DUI velcro pocket. It holds great and because of the wide velcro strip I can stuff larger things in and still get a nice secure closure. On the other hand that velco is a *&(%(^% to open and with cloth covered wet gloves the velco keeps grabbing the gloves which makes opening the pocket even more of a pain.

tc_rain
11-01-2008, 09:10
I like zippers myself. Velcro wears out before zippers do and sand gets in velcro which weakens the hold.

Charles R
11-01-2008, 11:59
I prefer my Velcro and as for things falling out I have a bungee loop inside the pocket that I just double end everything to that way when you pull things out you pick what you want unclip it and stuff everything else back in. Most of the pockets will come with the bungee loop already in them.

OH-JJ
11-01-2008, 16:00
I have both versions from DUI on my suit. My Right pocket is the Zipper, and the Left is the Velcro bellows.

I normally have a Spool and a SMB in the Velcro and put smaller items in the zipper including a couple Capri Sun's. the nice thing about the zipper is that with the double zipper I can open it only part way, ( i.e. when I am stuffing the empty Capri Sun back in.) the nice thing about the Velcro Bellows is that when it is empty it is low profile, and it is faster to open.

texdiveguy
11-01-2008, 19:17
Velcro

CompuDude
11-01-2008, 22:36
Velcro.

Sand can indeed weaken Velcro, but there should never be anything important (read: potentially life-saving) in your pockets that's not clipped off and secured. So IF a pocket was to inadvertently open, there should be NO danger of losing anything. And the "weakening" is not a permanent impairment, it's just until you can dry the suit out and clean the Velcro. It if starts to wear, any shoe repair shop or seamstress should be able to remove the old velcro and sew on some new stuff... it's only on the pocket, not a waterproof part of the suit, so it's an easy, non-hazardous repair.

Sand is the enemy of pockets, period. The difference between velcro and zippers is zippers can jam SHUT with sand or other detritus. If you need access to something in those pockets in a hurry, zippers can cause a problem, velcro will not. (There are many kinds of gloves that do not have issues with velcro sticking, incidentally.)

There are definitely things I like about zippered pockets, but in the end, it comes down to my preference for a pocket that fails open rather than a pocket that can fail shut.

Coincidentally, I believe this is the GUE stance on the issue as well, so I'm not alone in this conclusion. This is the same logic that I agree with, however, so it's not a DIR thing.

Wetnurse28
11-02-2008, 09:08
Very please someone commented about velcro and Zipper. I just bought 2 drysuit pockets from 5th deminision that are velcro and I was wondering if I should of bought zipper pockets.

Now I just need to install them on my drysuit.

Splitlip
11-02-2008, 20:24
Velcro.

Sand can indeed weaken Velcro, but there should never be anything important (read: potentially life-saving) in your pockets that's not clipped off and secured. So IF a pocket was to inadvertently open, there should be NO danger of losing anything. And the "weakening" is not a permanent impairment, it's just until you can dry the suit out and clean the Velcro. It if starts to wear, any shoe repair shop or seamstress should be able to remove the old velcro and sew on some new stuff... it's only on the pocket, not a waterproof part of the suit, so it's an easy, non-hazardous repair.

Sand is the enemy of pockets, period. The difference between velcro and zippers is zippers can jam SHUT with sand or other detritus. If you need access to something in those pockets in a hurry, zippers can cause a problem, velcro will not. (There are many kinds of gloves that do not have issues with velcro sticking, incidentally.)

There are definitely things I like about zippered pockets, but in the end, it comes down to my preference for a pocket that fails open rather than a pocket that can fail shut.

Coincidentally, I believe this is the GUE stance on the issue as well, so I'm not alone in this conclusion. This is the same logic that I agree with, however, so it's not a DIR thing.

I agree completely.
Also like to add:

I am diving a new wetsuit and chose not to wear my home made split pants, I slipped a zippered pocket on to my waist strap for an easy little dive with my kid.. The zipper did not fail, but I found I needed two hands to operate it. Awkward to say the least.

ianr33
11-02-2008, 20:40
Velcro

The day you really,really,need that lift bag in your zip pocket is the day the zip will be jammed with sand.

brandon
11-02-2008, 23:54
Velcro here too, with loops inside to hold everything securely.

I keep a lift bag / spool in my left side pocket, a backup light in the right. I'm eventually going to move my shears off my belt, and they'll be clipped in the right pocket with the light. Just need to find another bolt snap =)

-B

kingfish
11-03-2008, 23:34
Thanks for the help:)....makes sence to use velcro, as the last thing you want in an emergency is to not be able to get to the gear in your pocket.

Jas.

Jack Hammer
11-04-2008, 02:33
I prefer velcro. It's easier for me to open and close and doesnt' work its way open during a dive and dump its contents out. Plus if I forget to close it before I get in the water it's more likely to somewhat seal itself due to gravity having it rest on itself, whereas a zipper left open will either stay open or open more.

Jack

mm_dm
11-04-2008, 07:31
Velcro. There are times I think it's the work of the devil, especially when it sticks to one of my sets of gloves but that beats trying to open a zipper underwater for me any day...especially if I'm in hurry. It's easier for me to deal with one-handed as well.

Empacher
11-04-2008, 09:39
i prefer zippers as velcro tends to catch on things causing them to wear prematurely

cummings66
11-04-2008, 12:22
Velcro all the way for me. Never had a problem with it and since my gloves are pvc there's no snagging on the velcro either. Best thing since sliced bread when it comes to pockets. I like the ones 5th dimension has by the way.

bsktcase93
11-06-2008, 23:08
i prefer zipper pockets myself...and besides the velcro pulls the neoprene apart on my gloves

Wetnurse28
11-07-2008, 10:18
My drysuit has dryglove system. Zipper pockets are much harder to grasp. Velcro is easy to grab and pull.

ANOTHER vote for velcro

RoyN
11-07-2008, 14:22
Velcro for me because thats what Pinnacle put on my drysuit.

MSilvia
11-07-2008, 14:35
Velcro, and I love the 5th dimension bellows pockets. I never had any problem with it catching on my cold water gloves (Akona Kevlar or "Smurf" drygloves), and I clip everything off to loops so nothing can fall out.

OH-JJ
11-07-2008, 19:14
Velcro, and I love the 5th dimension bellows pockets. I never had any problem with it catching on my cold water gloves (Akona Kevlar or "Smurf" drygloves), and I clip everything off to loops so nothing can fall out.

How do you clip off the Capri Sun? ;)