PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear A Snorkel for Recreational Dives?

Vercingetorix
08-17-2007, 09:05
We all wear snorkels during training; it's a requirement. However, when the training is over and you're diving for fun, do you wear a snorkel? Do you keep a fold-away snorkel in your BC?

thor
08-17-2007, 09:11
For ocean, yes. always

Fresh water, most of time, but I usually end up stuffing it in my pocket at some point in the day. Usually right after it gets tangled up in my inflator hose and wacks me in the face.

WV Diver
08-17-2007, 09:15
The only time I do not wear my snorkel is when the current is so bad as to tear my mask off if I turn my head. And even than it is tucked into the top of my wetsuit.

Fold up snorkels are a joke as far as I am concerned.

Rockhound76
08-17-2007, 09:27
I carry a snorkel tucked under the knife straps on my leg. Hardly know it's there, but it's easy to get to if I need it.

finflippers
08-17-2007, 09:29
On an ocean dive I will wear one but on lakes, quarries , and springs I do not wear one.

Zenagirl
08-17-2007, 09:59
Hate snorkels. If I'm on the surface I simply inflate my wing and lay back to wait for the boat. If the water is super rough and I'm in danger of waves breaking over my head (what the heck am I doing there to begin with??), I'll keep my reg in my mouth for safety.

torrey
08-17-2007, 11:07
Fold up snorkels are a joke as far as I am concerned.

I've never seen one...then again, I don't hang out by the snorkel section either. :smiley36:

chinacat46
08-17-2007, 11:17
I usually have one in my dive bag in case I have to do some instructing or wish to go snorkeling.

Foo2
08-17-2007, 11:36
they seriously make fold away snorkles?

Foo2
08-17-2007, 11:38
they seriously make fold away snorkles?

Oh wow, I just found one on ST. I had no idea...

CompuDude
08-17-2007, 11:47
I have a folding snorkel I usually keep in a pocket. Sometimes I take it out and forget to put it back in for a while.

I use a snorkel when assisting classes, because I have to. The last time I actually clipped a snorkel to my mask, outside of a pool session, was on vacation in Jamaica last year. When I went snorkeling with my wife.

quarrydiver
08-17-2007, 11:49
i use one, i want to use my air underwater, snorkel is in my mouth until i start to descend (sometimes just after), and back in my mouth on the current line. Even in fresh water it seems easier to surface swim with my head in the water than on my back.

divingbuddy
08-17-2007, 11:57
I keep one in my bag for some surface interval snorkelling. Earlier this year in Roatan I had the opportunity to surface snorkel with some pilot whales. In that case, I was glad to have the snorkel on hand.

When diving though? I carry a pocket folding snorkel in my pocket. As an instructor, when diving with students I am required to have a snorkel - I can take it out of my pocket when and if I ever need it (which I haven't thus far). I find the snorkel unnecessary when underwater, and I feel I can quickly deploy and secure it to my mask should the need arise.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

namabiru
08-17-2007, 12:34
My snorkel is quazi-broken. The mouthpiece has finally jumped ship (not literally, just got old and broke), so I can kind of clamp it around my lips and tootle around if I'm going to snorkel, but I'm afraid I don't wear one on a dive.

I could see, though, if you could easily remove your snorkel and place it against your leg like you would a diving knife. That would be kind of cool.

I really should replace my current snorkel, but I haven't found one cheap enough to entice me to do so. I guess $9.99 isn't so bad, but I'm a bit of a piker I suppose.

cummings66
08-17-2007, 17:53
I hate snorkels, the only time I have them is while doing a course that requires it. Beyond that I won't wear one.

scubasamurai
08-17-2007, 19:50
thats news to me a fold away snorkle , i do since i am going through training and twice i needed it for rough swells, why i was out, because they were there hahahah

thesmoothdome
08-17-2007, 20:17
I prefer to use my reg if I need something in rough seas. Too much chocking on sea water as the swells slap over the top of a snorkel.

Splitlip
08-17-2007, 21:47
I prefer to use my reg if I need something in rough seas. Too much chocking on sea water as the swells slap over the top of a snorkel.

I have seen a lot of people say they have a snorkel for "rough seas".
That is the last place a snorkel would be useful.
In 3 decades of ocean scuba diving, I have never been in a situation where a snorkel would be useful. Never. There have been quite a number of times where the snorkel attached to my mask proved to be a liability.

CompuDude
08-17-2007, 22:19

In 3 decades of ocean scuba diving, I have never been in a situation where a snorkel would be useful. Never. There have been quite a number of times where the snorkel attached to my mask proved to be a liability.
Well... sorta. I think there is a very small band of "rough seas" where before it gets that "bad", it's easier to have no snorkel, and then a very small slice of roughness (a limited amount of chop) where a snorkel might be kinda handy, and then when it gets bad enough it'll actually be worse with a snorkel because water will just come over the top, at which point you'd be better off using your reg. There is that thin band in between, however. And yes, occasionally for surface swims they're nice.

But for me, those rare occasions where they're "nice" for a short time (I prefer to surface swim on my back, esp. since with the vis in our water, it's rare you'll be able to see anything anyway) don't come close to justifying the inconvenience of having that big ol' snorkel on at all times, dragging your mask down and messing up your hose deployment.

ertechsg
08-17-2007, 22:26
I use one during training but no other time will i have one on my mask if I have to carry one i put it in my cummberbun

Splitlip
08-17-2007, 22:31

Well... sorta. I think there is a very small band of "rough seas" where before it gets that "bad", it's easier to have no snorkel, and then a very small slice of roughness (a limited amount of chop) where a snorkel might be kinda handy, and then when it gets bad enough it'll actually be worse with a snorkel because water will just come over the top, at which point you'd be better off using your reg. There is that thin band in between, however. And yes, occasionally for surface swims they're nice.

But for me, those rare occasions where they're "nice" for a short time (I prefer to surface swim on my back, esp. since with the vis in our water, it's rare you'll be able to see anything anyway) don't come close to justifying the inconvenience of having that big ol' snorkel on at all times, dragging your mask down and messing up your hose deployment.

Agreed. I had a longer post where I went there, but my computer farted and I retyped the abreviated reply omitting the "nice window".
If I have any surface swim, it is on my back.
I have had occasions where I might have to swim to the boat, but I will have gas in my cylinder and I use my reg.
If God forbid, I thought the boat was not coming for me and I had to swim the couple miles to shore, it would not be with a snorkel.

Liv7301
08-18-2007, 01:28
I very rarely have a snorkel attached. I do wear it for training, and could foresee wearing it for ocean diving, but since I haven't made it to the ocean yet and have only done lake/quarry diving I haven't seem much use for it.

Phestr
08-18-2007, 03:15
I found an easy way to attach a full size snorkel betwwn my bladder and trim weight pockets on my Excursion. It was inspired by another post on this board. Anyone wnats details, give me a PM.

94GTStang
08-18-2007, 09:00
Nope, just gets in the way

freediver
08-18-2007, 10:02
I have an Omer Zoom Pro soft that folds away nicely. I use it both freediving and for scuba. Prior to descending on scuba (if conditions are favorable) I will breathe from snorkel face down to induce the dive reflex and set a tone of relaxation for the dive. It is quite effective.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-18-2007, 11:09
I like using a snorkel to save tank air and all, but i hate that silly thing flopping around everwhere when your underwater.

plot
08-18-2007, 11:13
havnt used it since OW.

i'll use a snorkel when i'm snorkeling. don't need it for diving.

AqueousSapien
08-19-2007, 04:22
Still going strong with my snorkel!
We'll see how long it lasts before I get completely tired of it. =P

dmdoss
08-19-2007, 21:54
I think there is one of these snorkel things you speak of in my dive bag.

scarlet&gray nut
08-20-2007, 11:04
no one I dive with wears one

mm_dm
08-20-2007, 11:26
I use a snorkle when working with a class, it's a requirement. Other than that, unless I'm on a boat dive with big swells I banish it to the bottom of the gear bag.

rubberduck
08-20-2007, 12:55
Boat dives yes
Shore dives no

subsur
08-20-2007, 13:08
depends on the dive. if there is a long swim i carry it with me just in case, if it's a boat dive, then no. i agree that it's a good habbit to have one but mine when on the left interferes with my short BC hose, and when on the right it's a bit awkward. in any case, i own one and use it sometimes.

coyote
08-20-2007, 13:45
Be sure to say “Excuse me while I whip this out” when pulling out your folding snorkel.

mountaindiver
08-20-2007, 19:16
I think I wore one once.... Maybe.... wait, that was a dream... sorry, don't think I know what that is... no speaky eanglishy....dooby dooby....I am not listening to you....

Where's The Water?

3rdEye
08-20-2007, 21:32
i almost always actually use my snorkel....even in lakes. i prefer to use my reg as little as possible on the surface before a dive, to conserve air, and i tend to like to swim with my face in the water.

ScubaJenn81
08-21-2007, 12:52
I like the idea of wearing one, and if I am in class or something, then of course. But I have scared myself numberous times when my snorkle suddenly appears out of the corner of my eye, so I have stopped wearing it if I can get away with it.

J-Cub
08-21-2007, 16:54
I always dive with my snorkel, I guess I have just always done it and I'm comfortable with it. I use it only when surface swimming to the point of descend on a shore dive, or returning to the boat if I'm low on air.

When I dove while on vacation in Hawaii, I rented my gear. I asked the DM where my snorkel was, and he said that I didn't need one. I felt 'naked' without it. Kind of like a security blanket. I feel the same way if I'm in a car without a seatbelt on. Crazy stuff.

robanna
08-21-2007, 17:10
Own 3. Wear 0.

bolantej
08-21-2007, 18:56
I used mine until the "dry" flap kept closing and I felt like I was suffocating. I ripped off that flap and then lost the rest of it somewhere during the dive. I'm much better now...

jmb
08-24-2007, 15:33
Carrry a snorkel in my bc pocket - I've only needed it once, but was very glad to have it !

dawnskies
08-24-2007, 15:40
Usually I don't dive with my snorkel unless there is a definite long surface swim, but even then I usually don't. I really don't know why except it beats me up on the surface, when not in use.

willardj
08-24-2007, 15:51
The only time I where a snorkel is when I'm shore diving. Other that that their just in the way.

Theepdinker
08-24-2007, 23:38
Almost always wear one.

Theep

scubasamurai
08-25-2007, 12:48
no snorkel if i am in a spring but if i am training and in rough seas i will pack it, just to be a good ole boy

TexasFreddy
08-25-2007, 13:47
When doing a shore dive I snorkle out if there is somthing worth seeing...like in Bonaire, then it comes off as soon as it can. When doing a boat dive its in my pocket unless needed. I use snorkle "keeper" made of same stuff as a slap stap...snorkle slides off & on very easy.:smiley20:....I do agree that some of the folding snorkles are a joke....I like the bendable ones w/ purge valves, apollo makes one but doesen't bend very well I am currently using a Tusa Platina, not advertised as bendable but does very well....just bends/folds up and goes in my pocket.

mark44883
08-25-2007, 14:50
i care one in my bag just never used it , i think i will take it out and make some room .

Charles R
08-25-2007, 14:54
Never carry one since my OW class it gets in the way and causes way too much drag!

YellowfinKunkfish
08-25-2007, 15:01
I haven't worn one since my first dive after certification. I saw a picture of myself wearing it, and well, lets just say I fully qualified to be a dork diver. It's pink too. :smiley13:

And I thought I looked so cool.:ponder:

I'll probably wear it again if I ever get to dive in the ocean. I'm going to buy a clear one first though.:smiley20:

hoop
08-25-2007, 17:53
Ocean, yes. Lakes and quarries, nope.

Capt Hook
08-25-2007, 17:59
No, find it to be most annoying during a dive.

Bill22
08-27-2007, 06:31
We all wear snorkels during training; it's a requirement. However, when the training is over and you're diving for fun, do you wear a snorkel? Do you keep a fold-away snorkel in your BC?

I always wear a snorkel, because the diving I'm doing now, I use it on every dive. Beach entry followed by surface swim to get out to the area where we dive.

scubadiverchris
08-27-2007, 10:22
Fold aways fulfill the requirement never used it but hey its there

MtnDiver
08-27-2007, 12:36
Don't like carrying it at all. If I'm snorkelling, it's in my mouth, otherwise, the gear bag.

RikRaeder
08-28-2007, 08:20
Only if it's pretty rough

underwaterdan
08-28-2007, 08:56
I find it a little annoying to wear all the time. I usually surface with plenty of air I just keep the reg in my mouth - if the water is really rough I am most likely not diving - however if it changes while I am in the water, I still prefer to use my reg instead of snorkel.

willardj
08-28-2007, 09:06
It's also a pain in the butt when diving a long hose

Charlotte Smith
08-28-2007, 15:23
Threw it in my bag after class and haven't used it since.

paintsnow
08-29-2007, 18:19
nooo
i find them extreamly annoying when they are on.
i only wear them when required for a class. other then that i would rather drink salt water then wear one, besides it doesn't help at all when you do surface swims on your back like me.

liuk3
08-29-2007, 18:34
I always wear a snorkel, because the diving I'm doing now, I use it on every dive. Beach entry followed by surface swim to get out to the area where we dive.

I'm in the same situation. However, I don't know what the big fuss is about since it never bothers me at all, and I like having it in case I need it for long surface swim.

scubafreak
09-03-2007, 20:38
I say "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

chace_nicole
10-07-2007, 20:03
I have a fold-away, it was suggested when I purchased personal gear for OW class. The only downside is the fold aways are ALOT harder to clear IMO. I probably will snorkel with some friends in Coz (when I'm not off diving:smiley2:) and would like to try a dry snorkel for that. Anyone use a dry snorkel?

Scubastud16
10-07-2007, 20:26
No snorkel for me!

Chocoholic
10-07-2007, 20:46
I hate having a snorkle stuck on my mask strap so no snorkel. But I am thinking I might order a fold away just because...

Kokomo
10-07-2007, 20:56
Absolutely!

datamunk
10-07-2007, 21:50
no way.. only with students when i DM a class, otherwise, its just in the way :\

Julie
10-08-2007, 10:31
I've never used my snorkel on a dive.

After "losing" my snorkel twice on a dive and having it retrieved for me I don't carry one anymore. I had stuck it (I thought securely) in my BC, apparently, it wasn't that secure.

This summer while diving off the Keys, the guys on the boat were doing equipment checks. They said "Snorkel?". I said no. They seriously thought about not letting my husband and I dive. They then gave us a short lecture on why we should ALWAYS dive with a snorkel. I've never run into that before - but will probably stick my snorkel back into my BC in case that comes up again.

CompuDude
10-08-2007, 11:38
In the surf, they are useless... and very likely to rip your mask off your face.

In the kelp, they are a huge entanglement hazard... and likely to get hung up and then rip your mask off your face.

I keep on in my pocket for the incredibly rare event where having one is more helpful than not having one. But for my type of diving, they are more hazard than help.

I wear one when working with student in class because I am required to, or when snorkeling. Other than that, I keep snorkeling gear separate from scuba gear.

MSilvia
10-08-2007, 14:04
I wear a snorkel when I'm snorkeling. When I dive, I breathe through a reg underwater or if surface conditions turned bad. If I'm not underwater, I'm not snorkeling, and no waves are breaking over my head, I use the novel approach of breathing ambient atmospheric gas through my mouth.

reservecops
10-08-2007, 15:58
No, no snorkel for me unless the seas look/are rough.

Texas_Aggie06
10-08-2007, 16:06
not after i went to playa. our cavern guide Klaus made us take them off going into the cenotes, so i said that's it for me. no need for one unless i'm snorkeling.

tbuckalew
10-08-2007, 17:18
Always do unless there is a safety hazard (and I haven't come across many of those). I've used it more than I thought I would. Especially nice when trying to extend your tank a bit for a shore dive site a little ways out. Also good when waiting for your buddy by getting your face wet and used to the water in order to get yourself ready.

Besides - when I was working as a TA (thought I'd try the assistant thing rather than DM at the time) I always had to be the example for those students that took the class and saw me later and ask "what other useless things did they teach us?"

tremtech
10-08-2007, 19:03
as for that plastic tube, it stay's in the bag unless im scalloping, lobstering or some DM requires its presence. I also use it to scare my dog when he goes out on the boat with us, I call his name thru the tube and he freaks out thats the best use in my opinion.

Geekybiker
10-09-2007, 13:23
Haven't used one since OW. Keep one in the gear bag, but never have found an occasion to use it.

Zyxistal
10-09-2007, 16:21
I didn't know they made foldable snorkles. Thats definitely going to be on my next purchase.

Scubastud16
10-09-2007, 20:27
After searching long and hard (not really) after my OW classes 2 years ago, I finally found the fold-snorkel that I saw the guy diving with on my cruise ship. It's made by aqualung, and I believe it's called the "Snap." It folds into a little ball....I REALLY need one of those!

jimmysdevoted
10-09-2007, 21:45
I had better mnake sure I wear one. Its my life line sort fo speak.
BUt I am in the market for a new one............

RoadRacer1978
10-09-2007, 22:22
Make sure to always have my snorkel........

In my dive box. :smilie39:

Anne Eastwell
10-10-2007, 01:05
Hate snorkels. If I'm on the surface I simply inflate my wing and lay back to wait for the boat. If the water is super rough and I'm in danger of waves breaking over my head (what the heck am I doing there to begin with??), I'll keep my reg in my mouth for safety.

Yep, agree with you completely! It's the reg in or nothing (and forget the rude comments guys - Larry and Joe will screen them out anyway)

bversteegh
10-10-2007, 01:43
I have one in my bag, but don't normally dive with it.

navyhmc
06-07-2009, 14:16
When I first started diving, I had the snorkel on my mask religously. After 10 years, I made a note of seeing how often I used it. In one year, I made 178 dives, used the snorkel a total of one time. I did note that it was a bit of a pain when I had to fight a current as it waved around and would hit my head. So off it came. I still have one-the same one I used for YMCA OW in '74.

mitsuguy
06-07-2009, 15:33
As an instructor, I am required to wear one while teaching.

I don't find it to be any sort of restriction at all, and in fact, on all the shore dives I do, I prefer to have it so I'm not using tank air on the way out or back in from a dive... It really stays out of my way unless I need it, and of course, certain times do call for its removal...

BubblesMcCoy
06-07-2009, 22:21
Not so fond of the things, but I do carry a fold up as a bit of insurance.

petronius
06-08-2009, 20:25
I leave it off most of the time, unless there's a long swim. Even then, I'm starting to prefer swimming on my back a lot more than I used to. However, on my last dive I found the snorkel helpful in maneuvering around the kelp paddies on the swim out...