PDA

View Full Version : A Mistake I will NOT make again

skdvr
11-02-2008, 18:31
It was a gorgeous day here in the midwest... Air temps in the mid 70's and water temps in the mid 50's. A buddy and I went out to a local quarry for a couple of dives. The first dive was for 55 min and actually very nice. We had found a gun safe that he had come across before but could never find again, so we marked it. Second dive I noticed pain right in the middle of my chest once I hit about 20ft. I then realized that I never completely zipped up my undergarment. So now the zipper is directly under my DS inflator. For the entire 45min dive it felt like someone was pushing their knuckle into my chest. I tried doing most of the dive on my back but again we were looking for something specific and I could not do much looking at the bottom while I am swimming on my back, so I just took the pain and stayed on my belly. I now have a pretty good bruise on my chest that is pretty damn annoying.

No big deal just thought I would share. Still got two great dives out of the day....

Phil

CompuDude
11-02-2008, 22:58
I feel your pain. Done that once myself. Hardly fatal, but far from pleasant.

ScubaJ
11-03-2008, 07:50
I've got a pretty good one.

Friday I took the new pontoon boat out for a couple boat dives. I was so concerned with getting that massive thing on the trailer correctly that I completely forgot about the bimini top. So I load the boat on the trailer and make sure it's secure, then go on my merry way.
Look in the side mirror and see a tangle of poles. Pull over to find that the aluminum poles are all kinds of mangled and the top has been destroyed.
Those tops are $400-500 to replace. :smiley19: Hopefully I can replace a couple poles or something.
At least I had a couple really good dives!

skdvr
11-03-2008, 08:11

Friday I took the new pontoon boat out for a couple boat dives. I was so concerned with getting that massive thing on the trailer correctly that I completely forgot about the bimini top. So I load the boat on the trailer and make sure it's secure, then go on my merry way.
Look in the side mirror and see a tangle of poles. Pull over to find that the aluminum poles are all kinds of mangled and the top has been destroyed.
Those tops are $400-500 to replace. :smiley19: Hopefully I can replace a couple poles or something.

Ouch!!! Yeah I would much rather have the pain that I had during the dive and that bruising that I have today as opposed to messing up the top on a brand new boat. I hate those Oh SH** moments....

Phil

Rileybri
11-03-2008, 08:18

Ouch!!! Yeah I would much rather have the pain that I had during the dive and that bruising that I have today as opposed to messing up the top on a brand new boat. I hate those Oh SH** moments....

Phil

Ahh just think of it this way you now have a Garp proofed boat. Better the Bimini than the alternative! It is always good to get that first "scratch" out of the way!

ScubaJ
11-03-2008, 09:49
Ya. I'll NEVER make that mistake again.
I did a pretty good job of putting it behind me and enjoying the Halloween evening.

cummings66
11-04-2008, 12:26
I did the same thing with car keys. Forgot them in my pocket and they stabbed me the entire dive, not very fun but as you said, not fatal either.

Black-Gorrilla
11-04-2008, 21:53
what exactly happened? i don't fully understand dry suits (i understand the concept..) why do you have a bruise??

CompuDude
11-05-2008, 00:36
what exactly happened? i don't fully understand dry suits (i understand the concept..) why do you have a bruise??

There is a large plastic valve right over your breastbone, which has a button on it that you push to add air to the drysuit to reduce squeeze (equalize) and adjust buoyancy. Add undergarments with a nice big zipper right up the center of your chest. Now put the plastic valve right over that big zipper, and accidentally leave the zipper pull right where the valve can push it into your bone (water pressure does this for you underwater) for the entire dive. Occasionally push harder, when you're activating the inflation.

It's not pleasant.

skdvr
11-05-2008, 05:00

There is a large plastic valve right over your breastbone, which has a button on it that you push to add air to the drysuit to reduce squeeze (equalize) and adjust buoyancy. Add undergarments with a nice big zipper right up the center of your chest. Now put the plastic valve right over that big zipper, and accidentally leave the zipper pull right where the valve can push it into your bone (water pressure does this for you underwater) for the entire dive. Occasionally push harder, when you're activating the inflation.

It's not pleasant.

What he said....

Even still today it is a little tender to the touch. It would be like putting big wad of keys in your back pocket and sitting on them for 45 min without being able to move them. Then occasionally having a kid jump into your lap. It is just not fun...

Phil

Black-Gorrilla
11-05-2008, 08:42
ouch. that sounds very painful!!

WV Diver
11-05-2008, 08:57
:smilie39::smilie39:

Not laughing at you but with you. We have all had similar things happen within our diving careers. Live and learn and have fun.

snagel
11-08-2008, 07:09
I thought the bruise in the chest was just part of diving. Oh, mine is from my wife poking me in the chest everytime I say I'm leaving for a dive trip.

Snagel