PDA

View Full Version : Chum the water

Bill1979
11-03-2008, 14:21
I was in Florida over the summer and found myself in a common sinario for some of my relatives. I know I get motion sick, and I took measures to elieviate the problem with Dramamine. I later found out that was a bad move, and eneded up chumming the water. All this happened after I read on scubatoys that this was a bad idea. I guess I have to learn the hard way. Has this happened to anyone else? Also, what is the best remedy out there?

Rileybri
11-03-2008, 14:35
Search is your friend on this one as there is plenty of info posted on ST.

there is this thread (http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/18284-how-avoid-sea-sickness.html)
and this one on ginger (http://forum.scubatoys.com/fitness/11957-ginger-prevents-seasickness.html)
or this one (http://forum.scubatoys.com/tragedies-accidents-unfortunate-events-etc/7723-warning-motion-sickness-medicine-boat-diving.html)
or this one (http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/17560-taking-ginger-before-dive-ideal-timeframe.html) and one more for ya (http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/537-seasickness.html)
Hope that helps get ya going all I did was search ginger and or sea sick.

Bill1979
11-03-2008, 14:45
Wasn't worried about being sea sick. More worried about doing stupid things like taking the wrong meds, even though I know not to.

monant
11-03-2008, 17:16
Scopolamine is the way to go!

Krakenn
11-04-2008, 04:55
Yep best remedy is ginger nut biscuits dipped in coffee or just the biscuits.

Cheers Guys

Kraks

monant
11-04-2008, 06:34
I gave my son ginger capsules before a boat dive and he still got sick. I saw an episode of Mythbusters concerning motion sickness. Ginger appeared to work as well as anything. However, I don't remember how much they used. Any advice on how much you must take in order for it to work?

Bill1979
11-04-2008, 07:02
I saw that one also. Can't remember the amount, but I think the results were comparable to some of the over the counter brands.
I have a relative who said to schedule a multi day dive every time I go to the gulf that way I can gain relief through the lengthy stay on the boats. I'm not sure the divemaster or captain would like that remedy much. I am gracious though I make sure I lean over the side.

BlowingBubbles
11-04-2008, 09:45
Just looking at all of the posts on seasickness remedies, I'd say it's trial and error and if you find something that works for you, stick with it. I personally take Bonine (1 tablet), eat a light, non-greasy meal prior, and I've never had a problem. All the advice about staying topside, watching the horizon, thinking happy thoughts :smiley14: etc., are all good as well.

Splitlip
11-04-2008, 11:17
This seems to work for me in moderate seas.
When I know it is bad I do take 1 bonine before bed and one an hour or so before boarding but supplement with the MotionEase.
MotionEaze | Fast Motion Sickness Relief (http://www.motioneaze.com/)
Very important to watch what you consume the night before and the day of. (no bristling sardines in mustard sauce etc)
Also keep your eyes on something stationary like the shore line or horizon. Seasickness is caused by your brain's inability to process the signals from your inner ear which say you're are moving while your eyes say you are not (like when you are looking at the deck or a bulkhead.

James1010
11-04-2008, 11:35
There are many different remedies out there, prescription, erbs, over the counter but it is all about you and what works with you. Everyone is different and the key is to find out what works best for you. I know ppl who take ginger and it works but on others it doesn't. Some take dramamine and it works while it doesn't work on others. Everyones equilibrium is different, me personally I will happily chum the waters to get to the dive site lol.

Bill1979
11-05-2008, 14:50
I was fine with dramamine untill I surfaced and them the pressure change caused the problems. I tried looking at the horizon and I got more sick. I felt best after about half an hour and sitting with my eyes shut. I was also better under water the next time down when the motion stopped. I'll look into scopoline, motion eaze and bonine to see what the active ingredients are. They may work on the same parts with different chemicals.

MSilvia
11-05-2008, 15:19
Just looking at all of the posts on seasickness remedies, I'd say it's trial and error and if you find something that works for you, stick with it. I personally take Bonine (1 tablet), eat a light, non-greasy meal prior, and I've never had a problem. All the advice about staying topside, watching the horizon, thinking happy thoughts :smiley14: etc., are all good as well.
Ditto. I've never been sea sick with bonine in my system, and it doesn't make me drowsy.

ScubaDude
11-08-2008, 23:37
My opinion is biased, because I have only used Dramamine. If you're gonna use it, try to get the orange flavored ones. I think they are chewable, but not sure, but they leave no aftertaste.

The white ones will leave your mouth with a nasty/bitter aftertaste, no matter if you chase it with a drink of somesort or not.

But, it's worked for me everytime, so I'm sticking with it.

scubajane
11-14-2008, 18:43
if all else fails bite down on your reg.... chum.... and watch the fish that are on clean up duty. they will love you!!
seriously though I have no motion sickness issues. I rode a public school bus for 13 years. hubby on the other hand has a major queasy stomach. he takes antivert which is generic for bonine. you can get it online at a mail order medication store for about 10 bucks for 100 tabs. before you change meds or even buy large quanities of a med, buy the smallest package and take it when you are topside. watch for side effects. If you can't tolerate it on land you should NEVER use it diving. good luck. oh after chumming through your reg clean it REALLY well. :)

James1010
11-14-2008, 21:11
I don't know if it is true but I was told that Ginseng root is great. I was told you can get them from any Korean store. Now I don't know if it is true but I was wondering if anyone has tried them??

DollFin
11-17-2008, 21:46
Different things work for different people. After I hit 40, I started having motion sickness issues when I NEVER used to get seasick, but Bonine seems to help and I've yet to try anything else. Try different remedies until you find what works for you.

ektess1
11-24-2008, 23:21
In my youth nothing bothered me. Spent years on small boats. Boats still don't bother me, but surges do. Chum through the regulator once and I am fine after that. My wife on the other hand gets sick just thinking about water. Tried different thing for her, but haven't tried hard. It is nice haviing alone time. She is OK with my diving without her, and I get to dive twice as much, (can use the money on myself instead of her.):smiley2:

emt
01-21-2009, 19:39
This is for boat ride. I do not think any manufacturer recommends these products for diving and increase pressure can intensify drug effects and rate of absorbtion from transdermal products.
Have your doctor call in Transderm Scop Patch (scopalamine) and place it behind your ear on hairless area. Its lasts 72hours and works on the largest % of people. apply at least an 4 hours before departure. It makes your mouth and eyes very dry. after the 2nd day you will have a cotton mouth. Many people pull it off and take their chances at that point and some is still in their system. Not recommended for elderly or thin skinned people may absord too much with hallucinations & other bad side effects.

Over the counter: Dramamine non-drowsy is the same as Bonine and both are meclizine 25mg. Works in a much lower % of people and causes more drowsiness than transderm scop but less drying effects. Make sure you take it at least 1/2 hour before departure and repeat dose when directed on box.
Regular original dramamine is about equal to the above 2 products with much more drowsiness in most people.

I usually tell new people, it's ok to chum the water; just don't ask me to turn around & go back to shore. If you agree, come aboard, if not, stay home.

If you wait to do any of the 3 choices until on the boat & thinking maybe You will get sick.....It's now too late, forget the above.

Black-Gorrilla
01-21-2009, 22:43
No Misses has some magical cookies... that do work to an extent.. I decided to sit on the floor of his boat between dives, and for the first time ever in my life, was motion sick...
The cookies helped, and getting back in the water did too.
If you get too sick and can, jump in the water...

emt
01-21-2009, 23:09
About 28 years ago I abided by these rules on a friends boat in a small craft warning we went out and Marine Patroll watched us (scarde wave would sink our boat while diving,.... no probably just ready to write a ticket if that should happen) Anyway it was a day only one would be out if you drove 2 hours to get their and that was the case for the 4 of us guys. Nasea and motion sickness occured (I was not as comfortable as today, probably 20yrs since last time that happened to me) but I kept on freediving.
It was a really strange feeling upchucking under water. really weird but nice. Actually easier to throwup under water than above water and it felt great. I definitely recommend throw the sickones over and tell them to keep on freediving anyway. It was really easy and comfortable throwing up under water thru the snorkel.

fldiver
01-30-2009, 18:14
No chance, I never get seasick...Impossible, bring your own bait for chum.

scubAfr33k
02-02-2009, 20:43
Though I have not taken all of the medications thus far recommended in this thread; I know that Dramamine never works on me, but Triptone does the trick quite well. I just make sure to stay loaded up on the stuff: 1 pill the night before, 1 the morning of, and 1 right as we're leaving port. :smiley20:

emt
02-02-2009, 21:02
Dramamine Original Formulation & Triptone are both identical on active ingredients = diimenhydrinate 50mg.
Then again I remember the days when one type of pop seemed to help more than the other. I'm sure many pregnant or past pregnant women will have stories of different salt crackers, sugary liquids, etc. that helped them. So, I'm not saying it's impossible, just unusual to get sustained repeat results on one vs. the other with mass #'s of people taking either Dramamine original or Triptone.
Bonine or Dramamine less drowsiness formula are both Meclizine 25mg.