PDA

View Full Version : Nursing and diving

Krakenn
11-04-2008, 04:29
Excuse me, I would like some assistance from the lady divers if possible. I hope this is not rude of me to ask.

I hope that this is OK, as I feel very vunerable and insecure posting within these hallowed chambers, rather like the male redback spider actually so Ill bugger off as quickly as I can when I get to ask my question and this is the closest thread that addressed my enquiry.

A lady friend of mine recently dropped, sorry, had a young one and was told that she could no longer dive until she finished breast feeding as she may develop bubbles in the breast milk, so she told me. Now over here (Australia)we have a chocolate bar called an aero which is like bubbles in the light chocolate and this seemed to fixate in my mind re a similie for the breast feeding bubbles if you know what I mean as I could not see any problem with this for the baby.

Anyway I feel like I am burying myself so can you ladies advise me 1) if this a load of cods whallop? 2) If not why would it cause problems.

Many thanks for the opportunity to enter in here and ask this question as I feel like I have walked through the ladies underwear section in the shops I shall exit stage right as hope for a reply for me and my friend Emma.

Kraks

DiverMom
11-04-2008, 11:51
The two issues with air in breatmilk, that I can think of, is gas for the baby and increased pressure possibly pain for mom. Then if diving creates air bubbles wouldn't that be painful on decent and ascent?

I don't know if diving would cause air bubbles or not but excess air could be a challenge if it does happen.

Foo2
11-04-2008, 11:57
When I was certified, my youngest was 7 months old. I was still nursing and had no apparent problems. I didn't nurse for long after that though. Although, that may be why my youngest drools so much. :D Maybe our resident OB/GYN will chime in on this one.

divingyogini
11-04-2008, 12:19
I find it hard to believe.

From what I have read, a good portion of the milk is made while the baby is nursing, so this milk wouldn't have air bubbles. The baby gets gassy/swallows air when they fuss a bunch while nursing. And if that's the case, then you just burp them.

The truth is nursing is labor intensive and some babies like to nurse frequently (like my little bugger) and pumping is not that much fun, which is why a lot of women don't go diving for a day or just do some quick shore dives instead if they dive at all in the first several months of nursing.

scubajane
11-22-2008, 15:13
we traveled to Costa Rica with a family and the Mom nursed between dives. the baby was on the boat with her and had her own life jacket. obviously no problems

Suther2136
11-22-2008, 15:41
Don't dive while nursing,.. the baby will drown!

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 16:36
:ttiuwop:

Shenanigan
11-22-2008, 17:16
Splitlip ... Is that really a picture you want posted???? (no offense to nursing mothers!)

texdiveguy
11-22-2008, 17:17
My wife is a nurse but has no interest in scuba diving---go figure.

Krakenn
11-25-2008, 21:46
Yeah Splitlip them were the days, when we had the old 88's and then came the Fenzy BC or dunny horseshoe BC as I recall and your shoulders would be raw from the tank straps --- Not!

Hey Split you need to update your photos btw

Smiles

Kraks

obrules15
11-26-2008, 09:18
Excuse me, I would like some assistance from the lady divers if possible. I hope this is not rude of me to ask.

I hope that this is OK, as I feel very vunerable and insecure posting within these hallowed chambers, rather like the male redback spider actually so Ill bugger off as quickly as I can when I get to ask my question and this is the closest thread that addressed my enquiry.

A lady friend of mine recently dropped, sorry, had a young one and was told that she could no longer dive until she finished breast feeding as she may develop bubbles in the breast milk, so she told me. Now over here (Australia)we have a chocolate bar called an aero which is like bubbles in the light chocolate and this seemed to fixate in my mind re a similie for the breast feeding bubbles if you know what I mean as I could not see any problem with this for the baby.

Anyway I feel like I am burying myself so can you ladies advise me 1) if this a load of cods whallop? 2) If not why would it cause problems.

Many thanks for the opportunity to enter in here and ask this question as I feel like I have walked through the ladies underwear section in the shops I shall exit stage right as hope for a reply for me and my friend Emma.

Kraks

1) Load of Cods Whollop -- No problems, so what if breastmilk has bubbles that is what the digestive tract is for. Carbonated soda!!!!!!, DUH. Truly though where it loses any chance for making sense is when you think about the physiology. There is a chance for bubbles in the bloodstream because of the composition of air and blood, blood swings by the lungs and picks up gases on the way through thus dissolved nitrogen. There is no dissolved nitrogen in breast milk. It is a secreted compound from the endocrine cells of the breast. It's composition is fat, protein, water.

P.S. I am a board certified OB/GYN and an Assistant Professor of Ob/Gyn.

Krakenn
11-26-2008, 21:09
Jee thx Obrules15 I will pass on to my friend as I must say I thought i was a little on the far side.

BTW I love your direct reponses I hope that I am never one of your patients and you diagnose me with a life threatening illness, I can hear you now.

"Kraks, any chances you have at extending your life are nil, your farrrked dude"

Smiles

Krakenn