PDA

View Full Version : wire brush scratch my tank?

warscout2
11-04-2008, 20:25
I used a wire brush wheel to remove the last of the paint on my pony but now i have lots of scratches on my tank am i going to have problems getting my vis?

huvrr
11-04-2008, 20:41
I don't think it will affect your vip at all. Are you planning to repaint it? As you probably are aware you have to be careful not to heat it above 180F.

warscout2
11-04-2008, 21:19
i was not going to repaint it i like the raw look. should I repaint it

cummings66
11-05-2008, 06:45
The depth of the scratches can make it fail vis. If you can catch your fingernail in them you best measure the depth because it might be deep enough to fail vis.

I myself would need to see it to tell you if I'd fail it, it all depends on how deep those scratches are. There is one more problem, did you use a steel brush to do this with? If so you may have metal particles embedded in the cylinder walls, this will cause corrosion problems rather quickly.

I myself as an inspector would have cause for concern. However I'd need to see it to tell you what I think.

cummings66
11-05-2008, 06:51
Here's the limits based on CGA Pub C-6 for the 3AL cylinders. Gouges, Cuts, and Dings, failure if >6" & .03 inches deep.

A pit deeper than .06 inches deep would fail it, but I'd say a scratch that deep would fail it too. Luxfer says in their guidelines that all cylinders with surface cuts, digs or gouges longer than 6 inches or deeper than .03 inches should be condemned.

Those are the specs, how does your cylinder compare?