PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Can't miss Snorkel sites

HelloPenny
11-08-2008, 21:17
My husband and I are going on a cruise at the end of February.

We just want to get off the boat and do our own thing. We know we want to snorkel and bum around.

What are the can't miss snorkel sites. Can we do them by ourselves from the shore?

Any recommendations on the best way to get around? Rent a jeep or a scooter?

We are looking into buy our own gear. We may just buy our own masks and rent the rest. Papa Hogs a good place to rent gear from?

We will be there in February. I see lots of recommendations for 3mil suits. Can we rent those at Papa Hogs too, I would assume? Do you think we will need them? End of February. Not the beginning.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice. Great Forum. Great People.

chace_nicole
11-12-2008, 18:07
I would rent a jeep instead of the scooter and head south and tour the other side of the island...you won't be sorry.

Get a cozumel map through mapchick.com. The map has several great snorkel sites and other good information.

Playa Corona is one place and you can do it from the shore, but you won't see the reef.

Many people like the 3 reef snorkel tour, they take you out by boat. I would buy a mask & snork if it were me.

I'm not really familiar with the water temps in feb., but 3mils are recommended because it is colder at depth which you don't have to worry about.

Never dealt with Papa Hogs, many here recommend them though.

James1010
11-12-2008, 18:27
If you are going to Cancun go to Puerto Morales for the simple fact that the diving and snorkeling area is a National Park and there is a no touch and no fishing or spear fishing policy. Everything there is untouched, you are not allowed to even dive with gloves in the park. The reef is about 150 yards off shore.
Wet Set Water Adventures of Mexico..the best little PADI dive center in the Mexican Caribbean (http://www.wetset.com)

islandbum
11-14-2008, 07:28
You don't really need a wetsuit for snorkling I would suggest you get fins with boots for easy in on out of the water. One of the best sites is Dzul Ha . Ask for the Money Bar. walk up the road and float back down about a 200 yards really nice place.
Papa Hogs is okay not a lot of reef but many fish to see and the bar next to it is owned by a man for the states his name is Mike great guy. Also at papa hogs you will find a man named Sabas local also a great guy he will help you with all you needs
That's my 2 cents worth enjoy the island see you soon

Foo2
11-14-2008, 09:36
A popular place in Coz to snorkle is at Chankanaab Park (http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/attr-dive.asp). As for renting a jeep or scooter...I would do neither. The scooters are very dangerous to rent. It is not uncommon for tourists to be involved in accidents in Coz, many have died. Jeeps would be a good solution, if you are familiar with driving in Mexico. Their driving laws are much more lax and they drive incredibly fast on VERY narrow downtown streets. The safest option is to take a cab. They will be lined up just outside of the boat dock. It typically costs $5 - $8 to take one. That would probably be more ecconomical. Just my $0.02.

3rdEye
11-14-2008, 09:45
I've snorkeled at Playa corona...it's not really over a reef, but you can do it yourself, and there's a bar & restaurant there (that they will ask you to patronize in exchange for snorkeling there). But, there's a lot of fish there and some small coral heads, etc.,there isn't much current, and it's generally not crowded.

Or, if you can make it over to the main land, I believe you can snorkel in the Cenotes...that could be cool.

islandbum
11-14-2008, 14:20
A popular place in Coz to snorkle is at Chankanaab Park (http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/attr-dive.asp). As for renting a jeep or scooter...I would do neither. The scooters are very dangerous to rent. It is not uncommon for tourists to be involved in accidents in Coz, many have died. Jeeps would be a good solution, if you are familiar with driving in Mexico. Their driving laws are much more lax and they drive incredibly fast on VERY narrow downtown streets. The safest option is to take a cab. They will be lined up just outside of the boat dock. It typically costs $5 - $8 to take one. That would probably be more ecconomical. Just my $0.02.
I agree with Chankanaab Park it is nice .You could do dzual ha and keep on the old road to chankanaab and get two of the best sites on the island. Scooter are dangerous do not rent one unless you ride one at home all the time and are a very good rider.I don't think the island is seen well from a cab You should rent a car or jeep. I dive here everyday just be carefull. You will see more and be able to stop where you want.

heydn62
12-30-2008, 22:49
You might consider taking a boat to the reefs off shore. The shallow reefs are still recovering from the hurricane from a couple of years back (or so I've been told). We went to Paradise beach when there on a cruise and did a snorkle excursion from there. They took us out to the reef and followed us as we drifted with the current. We could see divers down below. This was what actually got me interested in diving.