PDA

View Full Version : Reg Exhaust and Hood Issues

gNats
11-09-2008, 08:37
Hi ladies (and Splitlip!) :smiley2:

Something tells me that this question is not truly "gender related" but I thought I would start here.

Went diving yesterday at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio. I recently bought a dry suit, so I know I am still dialing into my gear. Water temps were about 55 deg F and surface temps 46-50. BRRRR COLD FUNCKLES.

My issue - exhaust bubbles from my reg were going into my hood and, well, bugging the heck out of me to say the least. Not only was it allowing cold water to enter into the hood, but it was giving me boyancy issues. Great big pockets of air in the head region is not always recommended I am told. The exhaust was also causing me face mask problems. My fab mask had seal and fogging issues for the first time.

Here is what I was able to analytically surmise. It was worse when I was in a vertical position. Although, it also occurred when horizontal if I looked up or around to check on my buddy. The exhaust showed no favorites, it went into the left or right side of my hood (sometimes both at the same time.

I dive with a Mares She-Dive regulator. It blows exhaust to both the right and left from directly underneath the mouthpiece. I use an Aqua Lung low profile mask. I tried 2 hoods yesterday, both Henderson. The first was the Henderson Hyperstretch Dry Suit Hood with a fitted neck seal. The 2nd was my original Henderson Hyperstretch bib hood. 7 mm. Both have a factory installed vent hole. Both are size small, which is the best fit for me. I had my buddy tuck my bib hood into my dry suit collar.

My buddy thought I should try to rig a tube from the regulator exhaust to extend the exhaust further away from my face. I'm not keen on that idea. I spent a lot of money on the reg and modifying it doesn't sit too well with me. I specifically went with this reg because it was designed for the smaller proportions of a woman's face (opposed to a men's or gender neutral reg). His other idea was to burn additional holes into the hood, which I am not opposed to, and would probably reduce the air volume in the hood.

The other idea I had while driving home last night and pondering my dive dismays, is whether or not my issues are technique based?

The water vis was great and the quarry itself is a blast to dive at. So, I was pretty disappointed that my entire 2 dives were spent pushing the air out of my hood and clearing my mask rather than enjoying the rainbow trout.

All advice is welcome, including honest opinions about my gear selection.

Thanks everyone!

Splitlip
11-09-2008, 08:49
good morning :)

gNats
11-09-2008, 08:53
good morning :)

Good Morning to you too!

BSea
11-09-2008, 11:11
You could always try a double hose regulator. :) (Actually, I'm only half kidding)

Actually, many people that get air in their hoods do so from exhaling through their nose, and the air venting from their mask. If you have a poor fitting mask, then that's probably what is causing your problem, or at least contributing to it. But if it's not coming from your mask, adding a few more vent holes should help. I notice that both hoods you used were Henderson hyperstretch. Both these hoods are very stretchy, and because of that let air in easier. You might try another brand of hood that stretches a little less. You might also try a hood with a smooth skin face seal that can be trimmed to size. That should help prevent bubbles getting in.

Shenanigan
11-09-2008, 13:26
I've poked additional holes in the top of one of my hoods that trapped air, a 3mm or 5mm. An ice pick/skewer seemed to do the job nicely.

Splitlip
11-09-2008, 15:20
That is fine, but you want to heat the tool (or nail) with flame. Idea is to "cauterize" the material so it does not frizzle.

OH-JJ
11-09-2008, 16:52
Use a red hot nail or your ice pick. the Neoprene will just close around the hole otherwise. Also you want holes on top and in the back. I ran three holes from top to back, that way the air will vent in any trim position.

I would also check to see if you can get a wider exhaust tee for your reg.

dannybot
11-09-2008, 21:09
iThis happened to me on vacation, so I just used some shears to cut the holes, and haven't noticed any fraying after 30 dives.

Splitlip
11-09-2008, 22:01
Sorry guys. Brain fart. OP is talking hoods and I am burning holes in webbing.

My bad.

CompuDude
11-11-2008, 14:23
I agree the issue is FAR more likely to be air escaping from the mask and into the hood (since the edge of the mask skirt is usually under the hood), than air squeezing into the hood from external reg exhaust.

Poke at least one hole and you'll get rid of the issue. Poke it back around the crown of the head, at the highest point when you're swimming in the normal horizontal position, and bubbles will have the easiest time escaping.

The unusual amount of mask fogging pretty much clinches the issue is nasal exhalation. Exhaling through your nose excessively puts warm, moist air into your mask, making fogging far more likely. It has to go somewhere, and if the edge it escapes from is under the hood, there ya go.

ScubaDude
11-21-2008, 21:52
Hi ladies (and Splitlip!) :smiley2:

Something tells me that this question is not truly "gender related" but I thought I would start here.

Went diving yesterday at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio. I recently bought a dry suit, so I know I am still dialing into my gear. Water temps were about 55 deg F and surface temps 46-50. BRRRR COLD FUNCKLES.

My issue - exhaust bubbles from my reg were going into my hood and, well, bugging the heck out of me to say the least. Not only was it allowing cold water to enter into the hood, but it was giving me boyancy issues. Great big pockets of air in the head region is not always recommended I am told. The exhaust was also causing me face mask problems. My fab mask had seal and fogging issues for the first time.

Here is what I was able to analytically surmise. It was worse when I was in a vertical position. Although, it also occurred when horizontal if I looked up or around to check on my buddy. The exhaust showed no favorites, it went into the left or right side of my hood (sometimes both at the same time.

I dive with a Mares She-Dive regulator. It blows exhaust to both the right and left from directly underneath the mouthpiece. I use an Aqua Lung low profile mask. I tried 2 hoods yesterday, both Henderson. The first was the Henderson Hyperstretch Dry Suit Hood with a fitted neck seal. The 2nd was my original Henderson Hyperstretch bib hood. 7 mm. Both have a factory installed vent hole. Both are size small, which is the best fit for me. I had my buddy tuck my bib hood into my dry suit collar.

My buddy thought I should try to rig a tube from the regulator exhaust to extend the exhaust further away from my face. I'm not keen on that idea. I spent a lot of money on the reg and modifying it doesn't sit too well with me. I specifically went with this reg because it was designed for the smaller proportions of a woman's face (opposed to a men's or gender neutral reg). His other idea was to burn additional holes into the hood, which I am not opposed to, and would probably reduce the air volume in the hood.

The other idea I had while driving home last night and pondering my dive dismays, is whether or not my issues are technique based?

The water vis was great and the quarry itself is a blast to dive at. So, I was pretty disappointed that my entire 2 dives were spent pushing the air out of my hood and clearing my mask rather than enjoying the rainbow trout.

All advice is welcome, including honest opinions about my gear selection.

Thanks everyone!

Maybe you're just an airhead!:smilie39:

gNats
11-21-2008, 22:01
Maybe you're just an airhead!:smilie39:

:smilie39: