PDA

View Full Version : Doubles

Brandon Belew
11-10-2008, 22:30
Put my doubles together tonight, adjusted the best I could. I know absolutely jack #$@% about doubles, so I probably did it wrong.

I'm not happy with the position of the inflator hose on the wing, but I guess i'll have to live with it. Seems like its going to get in the way of the tank valves.

Carrying these things down two flights of stairs also wasn't fun :smiley36:

Hopefully KennyD or someone at Oronogo this weekend will help me get this thing adjusted correctly.

navyhmc
11-10-2008, 22:36
Did you watch the Doubles video on Scubatube?

mwhities
11-10-2008, 22:49
Easiest way to carry doubles, strap ONLY your back plate on the doubles and don it like you are going to dive. It'll help save your back and arms.

Michael

Brandon Belew
11-10-2008, 22:57
Did you watch the Doubles video on Scubatube?

Just did, I need to move the bands up a bit. But I already took them down to my car, so it can wait till tomorrow :)

KennyD
11-11-2008, 19:24
Put my doubles together tonight, adjusted the best I could. I know absolutely jack #$@% about doubles, so I probably did it wrong.

I'm not happy with the position of the inflator hose on the wing, but I guess i'll have to live with it. Seems like its going to get in the way of the tank valves.

Hopefully KennyD or someone at Oronogo this weekend will help me get this thing adjusted correctly.

Brandon, I'll be there and will gladly help you get things straightend out. I'll bring some extra hoses along with me too. May need to change some things up for you. Just bring some basic hand tools and we should be golden.
Oh, And I'll carry your tanks if you carry mine..Steel HP130's...Ugh....
Kenny Davis

James1010
11-11-2008, 21:46
What is the average price for doubles and what would I need to set it up? Is it better to buy new for doing doubles and is it worth it to have doubles if I am not doing a lot of cave diving but I want to dive longer?

Brandon Belew
11-11-2008, 23:02

Brandon, I'll be there and will gladly help you get things straightend out. I'll bring some extra hoses along with me too. May need to change some things up for you. Just bring some basic hand tools and we should be golden.
Oh, And I'll carry your tanks if you carry mine..Steel HP130's...Ugh....
Kenny Davis

I tried them out tonight, worked pretty well. I'm going to have to get used to the weight belt...never had to wear one before ( other then once in class ).

It took a little adjusting of weights to keep me from rolling one way or the other. I dove in my 7mm suit ( no hood ) so I should be pretty good as far as weight goes this weekend.

As far as hose routing, my inflator hose is stupid long. I need to either move it to the other reg or get a shorter hose to streamline things a bit. My guess at harness adjustment was spot on, I just need to add my crotch strap - bp/w kept riding up on me.

The bottom dump on this wing seems about useless, it's on the front?!? I couldn't orientate myself to be able to dump any air from it. Horizontal, nope, vertical head down.. nope.. It also feels weird if I roll one way or the other when the air rushes to one side or the other. Never noticed it on my knighthawk.

Weight belt I need to adjust some more ( it's a pocketed belt ), it was tight enough for the pool but i'll need more room to tighten at depth.

All in all it wasn't a bad experience, I will love it once I get the kinks worked out.

ianr33
11-11-2008, 23:43
What is the average price for doubles and what would I need to set it up? Is it better to buy new for doing doubles and is it worth it to have doubles if I am not doing a lot of cave diving but I want to dive longer?

A set of used Al 80 doubles will run around $400. New steel 130's would be somewhere around $1000. You will also need another first stage reg and a doubles wing. A drysuit is an excellent idea if diving steel doubles.

If you are doing non overhead,non deco dives and just want to stay down longer getting a bigger single tank makes more sense.
130 cu ft is a lot of gas. 260 is a huge amount.

Jack Hammer
11-12-2008, 11:12
Brandon, the rear dump seemed useless to me at first too. I couldn't feel air release when I pulled the valve like I could on my old jacket bc so I thought nothing happened then immediately used the shoulder dump. Now I know it releases air and wait a moment for the change. There is a bit of faith in it required at first. I'm finding it actually works well and am using it more than the shoulder. Try squeezing the wing with your hand before you pull the rear dump so you know there is air there, that'll help build a little confidence in it.

James1010, whether or not its worth it to get doubles depends on the type of diving you do and want to eventually do. If you want to go tech at some point, a set of doubles can be a good investment. If not, you may never use them or have any need for them. A single 100, 120, or 130 could fill your needs.

Bare in mind that when looking for longer dive times you are still limited by what your dive partners have. You could have the largest tank in the world, but if your buddy is diving an al80, your dive is going to end when they run low, not you.

Jack

Brandon Belew
11-12-2008, 13:42
Brandon, the rear dump seemed useless to me at first too. I couldn't feel air release when I pulled the valve like I could on my old jacket bc so I thought nothing happened then immediately used the shoulder dump. Now I know it releases air and wait a moment for the change. There is a bit of faith in it required at first. I'm finding it actually works well and am using it more than the shoulder. Try squeezing the wing with your hand before you pull the rear dump so you know there is air there, that'll help build a little confidence in it.
Jack

Yeah my knighthawk has bungies that compresses the bladder when its not fully inflated. That helps keep it tight and makes me feel like there is air in there. With this thing I felt like I didnt have any air in the thing by feeling the bottom like I could on my knighthawk. I'll get used to it, even if I have to use the inflator hose dump for awhile.

KennyD
11-12-2008, 16:37

Like Hammer was saying, It all depends on what your plans are. I dive with HP Steel 130's in single form and love them! Then I bought more and made a set of Twin's.. I'm starting my Tec Diving and Cavern so this is my reasoning.
All depends on your dive buddy's too... I do the HP130's alot so I can do classes and not have to switch tanks and walk up the Big Ass Hill at Oronogo all the time. I'm just Lazy!:smilie39:

DivingCRNA
02-08-2009, 18:16

Like Hammer was saying, It all depends on what your plans are. I dive with HP Steel 130's in single form and love them! Then I bought more and made a set of Twin's.. I'm starting my Tec Diving and Cavern so this is my reasoning.
All depends on your dive buddy's too... I do the HP130's alot so I can do classes and not have to switch tanks and walk up the Big Ass Hill at Oronogo all the time. I'm just Lazy!:smilie39:

Kenny learned to work smart, not hard from Uncle Sam!

BTW-Any bets on how long until Brandon gets steel doubles after diving AL 80 double?

Dark Wolf
02-08-2009, 20:22
My bet is not until after Hawaii! :)

DW