PDA

View Full Version : Male Dive Buddies

Pages : [1] 2

gNats
11-11-2008, 08:44
{You may find this posted on another board also. I couldn't help myself, wanted both board's opinions! :smiley15:}

Hi Ladies,

Okay, I'm looking for a fun topic here.

Based on the sport - I believe it would be a fair statement to say that overall there are more men than woman diving. And, depending on the location of said woman, probably more men (married and single) than women per quarry/lake/river/stream.

I'm not married and not in a relationship so I don't think anything about calling up a male diver and asking if he is interested in going diving.

However, diving is a consideration of mine when I do meet single men. So, I'm curious (and bored at work) how other woman handle diving when their hubby does not. Plus, not every couple does EVERYTHING together. It is common to have different hobbies.

So,

1) are you a married/committed or single woman diver?
2) does your hubby/SO dive?

If he DOES NOT DIVE, do you dive exclusively with other women or do you find the nearest buddy and hit the water, regardless of gender? Do you do nearby weekend / travel dive trips with your buddy (appropriate lodging of course) or do you simply do a single dive trip for a few hours?

If you are a SINGLE woman diver, do you dive with whoever is available, or do you draw lines between gender or marital status?

It is obvious from the many postings that it is very common for men to have wives/SOs that do not dive, and yet they are off diving at any opportunity they can find a buddy.

If there are any men reading the forum, go ahead, chime in. Do you think twice before hitting the water with a female dive buddy?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Splitlip
11-11-2008, 09:26
{You may find this posted on another board also. I couldn't help myself, wanted both board's opinions! :smiley15:}

If there are any men reading the forum, go ahead, chime in. Do you think twice before hitting the water with a female dive buddy?

Why on earth would any men here? Sheesh. Come on Sista! Get with it.

gNats
11-11-2008, 09:27

Why on earth would any men here? Sheesh. Come on Sista! Get with it.

Why would men be in here? In case one of us females finally POST photos!

Splitlip
11-11-2008, 09:30
That would work. :)

ScubaJ
11-11-2008, 10:19
Good question. I'm interested to see some female responses.

My wife has only buddied up with me or family so far. Thats mostly because she's not 100% comfortable yet & wants to be with someone familiar.

My usual dive buddy and his wife don't dive together very often. She has a normal buddy (male friend) that she clicks with and thats usually who she dives with. It's kinda funny when we all get together and SO's are buddied up with other people.

gNats
11-11-2008, 10:23
It's kinda funny when we all get together and SO's are buddied up with other people.

Maybe it's like Euchre - no married / SO couples can be partners. Keeps the stress and bickering to a low roar this way. :smilie39:

cowgirldiver
11-11-2008, 10:27
I am a single woman diver. If my son is along on the trip and is diving, I dive with him. If not, I'll dive with whoever will have me. I'm really not picky. If I'm diving with someone's husband/SO, I make the effort to spend as much time talking to the other person so they don't think I'm hitting on their guy. Or maybe that will get them to dive....who knows. I did notice one day as I was looking through the member list (seeing if perhaps firediver's birthday might be listed, lol) that there are a significantly larger number of men listed (although maybe not all the women put their gender down).

lucidblue
11-11-2008, 10:34
1. I'm in a relationship
2. My boyfriend is my dive buddy

We dive at Dutch fairly often. In general he'd probably like to dive more often than I would. Actually, if there were more hours in a weekend, I'd probably want to dive more often too. Now that it is getting cold, I'm much less willing to go diving (though the story would probably be different if we had drysuits). Overall, we work well together as dive buddies, but I know he'd like to dive more frequently. I'm up for any tropical diving we can afford though :smiley17:. It would also be great if we had friends that were divers.

cummings66
11-11-2008, 10:59
I'm a married male and dive with a married female. Sometimes my wife and daughter tag along when it's warmer or there's room, sometimes not.

I'm friends with her husband and kids as is my wife. My daughter who's almost 6 by the way says she's going to marry her youngest boy. It's funny if you ask me. But hey...

I think you can segregate diving from a relationship and have it just be friends, it's no different than having a female friend, well, you sometimes as a diver do see things that you wouldn't see in a bowling league member for example. But, we're all adults here.

I think it's very easy to dive with members of the opposite sex and not have hangups. We are adults and not animals after all, at least I am.

caroln
11-11-2008, 11:31
I am a female married diver. 90% of the time I dive without my husband because I am way more into it than he is. I have a bunch of male dive buddys because typically they seem to be the ones with the same diving goals as I have, so we make compatible buddys.

I tried joining a female dive club last year and it was an exercise in frustration. I have gone on plenty of dive trips solo, and will be traveling to do classes with male buddys next year, as well as a fun trip next month.

My husband knows that I'm obsessed with diving, and that my relationships with my buddys revolves around that. Their relationships with me center around that too, so it's all good as far as significant others are concerned.

mwhities
11-11-2008, 11:52
I'm a married male. I dive with single and married females all the time. I've shared rooms, cars, tanks, and regs with them. My wife knows I'm not wandering off to do anything "bad", she knows I do all of the above and she hasn't met a single one.

Hell, she knows I'd rather dive than do anything else.

Michael

Splitlip
11-11-2008, 12:19
Michael:
I am your biggest fan and all. I have buddied with a few girls, but there is no way on God's green earth I would share a room.

I am kind of funny that way. Something in my genes.

Edit: sorry. My bad. GENES.

I'm a married male. I dive with single and married females all the time. I've shared rooms, cars, tanks, and regs with them. My wife knows I'm not wandering off to do anything "bad", she knows I do all of the above and she hasn't met a single one.

Hell, she knows I'd rather dive than do anything else.

Michael

gthomas
11-11-2008, 12:20
I'm a married diver with my hubby as my buddy most of the time. I've also dove with my son and other family and friends. It seemed weird the first time without ole hubby with me but now if I'm not diving with him its fine. We dive with a good group of people so we always have fun.

Brandon Belew
11-11-2008, 13:07
We need to import women divers to the Oronogo Mo area.

I'm married and my wife doesn't have any problems with me diving with women. Most of the women I have dove with are actually students in our OW classes though. Very rarely do I see a women diver over at normal dive spot.

gNats
11-11-2008, 13:12

I've been reading a lot of great things about Oronogo and the MO area quarries/springs. I'm hoping to do a diving road trip next summer - drive a large loop from Michigan to MO and hit a new dive spot each day.

It will be the Family Vacation of 2009 - well, without the geeky husband, smelly feet in the backseat, and dead relative on the car roof!

BlueC5Kitten
11-11-2008, 13:46
1) are you a married/committed or single woman diver? Single
2) does your hubby/SO dive? SO (for now) doesn't dive

If he DOES NOT DIVE, do you dive exclusively with other women or do you find the nearest buddy and hit the water, regardless of gender? Do you do nearby weekend / travel dive trips with your buddy (appropriate lodging of course) or do you simply do a single dive trip for a few hours? He lives in NH, and I live in TX...essentially I am single with a date every now and then with a guy who lives in NH :smilie39:...so I dive with whomever will have me as a buddy these days! The majoirty of dive trips I take, I take alone, and when I go on a trip where he is tagging along, I have to buddy-up with those who are available, since he stays on shore! My last travel dive trip my buddy was another single woman, but I shared a condo with her and another married couple.

If you are a SINGLE woman diver, do you dive with whoever is available, or do you draw lines between gender or marital status? I rarely draw lines between gender or marital status. Typically, diving the local lakes and rivers, I am the only female diver in the bunch. Like this past weekend...it was me and 5 guys, ranging in age from late 60s to 10 years old...I started out the dive with one of the instructors, but the river isn't very deep and has a good current, so I ended up with the 60-something gentleman in the end. Just all depends on the dive site, and how the teaming works.

Most of the guys I dive with are either married or in long-term relationships. I think that women who are married to these men typically understand that these men are there to dive...not to find a potential bedmate...and by the same token, I am not typically scouting my male dive partners for a life partner either. If I am seeing someone who doesn't dive, yes, I will try to get them interested, but if they aren't interested, who am I to push something on them!?!?! If there's a single guy in the group, hey, great! We'll buddy up...but I definitely need more than diving in common with a fellow before I try to make him more than a dive buddy! ;)

dallasdivergirl
11-11-2008, 14:01
I don't think I could date a non-diver. I tried once and it was a disaster (he also got sea-sick). I like diving too much to have to compromise my vacation time with someone who would not want to dive.

I don't care who I dive with. I am not out picking out dates with those I do dive with. I have a couple of dive buddies that I call up when ever I want to dive. I could care less if they are married or have a girlfriend/boyfriend. I just want to have a good time on the surface and under water.

julz
11-11-2008, 14:07
i'm single and usually dive with men there just does not seem to be that many women divers in my area i'm not looking for a husband or boyfreind right now so it soesn't matter to me if their married or not

cowgirldiver
11-11-2008, 14:11
Just as Kitten said, I'm usually the only woman in a group of guys-that's just life in the dive world. Or the only single woman in a group with married divers and then a bunch of guys. And as Michael stated-I've not been beyond sharing a room with someone of the opposite sex if it means I can save some money to dive. From what I've seen, most of the wives/girlfriends are usually happy to have anyone dive with their husband/SO just so they are not diving solo.
I'm also considering a diving road trip-but I'm thinking of going all the way and swinging on down into Florida. Seems like quite a few places to hit down there!!!

ParrotheadDiver
11-11-2008, 14:19
I am married....Husband is a diver but doesn't dive much any longer...I dive with anyone who wants to dive....I have a male friend who's wife does not dive and we dive and travel together sometimes....just got back from Fiji and we will be going to CoCo View next summer....husband is fine with it....

TRACI
11-11-2008, 14:57
I see no problem with diving with the opposite sex. My husband dives, but we do not generally buddy up. My group I dive with is majority guys, about 99% of the time. I could not be married to a non-diver. You would have to have a really understanding spouse on vacation, or even worse, limit your diving :(

navyhmc
11-11-2008, 16:23
My wife doesn't dive, so it's up to me to find dive buddies. The fact is though that my wife knows I'm such a diving nut that if I do get a call from a female asking about diving, that's what we're going to do-go dive. So far after 20+ years of marriage, she hasn't had a problem with it.

CompuDude
11-11-2008, 16:52
It's all about trust. If you spouse doesn't dive, male or female, they need to trust you and not have jealousy issues with your spending time with members of the opposite sex. It doesn't matter if you're a male or female diver, the principle is the same.

My wife doesn't dive (yet... it'll have to wait until after back surgery). I dive with single or married women on a regular basis... my dives are probably roughly 60% male buddies, 40% female buddies overall, and lately probably closer to 50-50 since one of my two most-frequent buddies is female (and married) Her spouse doesn't dive, either, but she is in the same boat I am with figuring out how to balance time with the spouse vs. time spent on scuba activities that exclude said spouse. It can be tricky, even when there are no trust issues, just because you want to spend time with both, but there are only so many hours in the day...

ajullien
11-11-2008, 17:06
I've been married for 28 years and started diving about 18 months ago. My husband has no interest, but he has other interests that I don't share. I take trips with the local dive shop and really don't think twice about it. As someone said, mostly the other folks are couples or single men.

BuzzF117
11-11-2008, 17:23
GUY ON THE FLOOR...used to have to yell that at old girlfriends dorm.

anyway it may even come down to kids. would a lady go diving and leave her kids with her non diving husband or yet would he be cool with that ?even though it goes bothways and guys ditch the kids with the SO to go hang out with the guys.
At our LDS there are a couple women that dive and they are totally cool with diving with guys and I have no problem buddying up with them if my wife isn't diving since she isn't comfortable diving with anybody but me or the instructor at our LDS at this point in time. (she needs more dives)

Mtrewyn
11-11-2008, 18:31
My wife doesn't dive (yet... it'll have to wait until after back surgery). I dive with single or married women on a regular basis... my dives are probably roughly 60% male buddies, 40% female buddies overall, and lately probably closer to 50-50 since one of my two most-frequent buddies is female (and married) Her spouse doesn't dive, either, but she is in the same boat I am with figuring out how to balance time with the spouse vs. time spent on scuba activities that exclude said spouse. It can be tricky, even when there are no trust issues, just because you want to spend time with both, but there are only so many hours in the day...

This is about like the spot I'm in. My wife trusts me, and knows that she could not stop me from diving if I want to go. I keep trying to get her to start but she does not want to, and That is not something I want to push.

As far as sharing a room...no...I would not be comfortable doing that, let alone expecting my wife to be OK with it.

Right now the group I dive with has been about 50/50. I am OK diving with a woman, But to date, my wife has not been on a trip with me where I have buddied with a woman, and left her on shore, I would like to think she would be OK with it, but I will have to see when it happens. Women can be hard to read sometimes, like my wife gave a lot of $h%T while I was wearing a Dive Quest T-Shirt in Disney and a Group of women were oohing and ah-hing about how cool that would be, and were asking me all about it, (we were in line waiting for a ride and I could not even make an excuse to leave I had my 5yo in one arm and my wife on the other, and there was no way they were flirting with me, they were just interested in diving right? :smiley5: after writing that she may not be OK with it.)

Shenanigan
11-11-2008, 20:09
SWF who will dive with anyone in need of a buddy. I wouldn't be opposed to sharing a room with a guy, but haven't come across that yet. I would have to know him vs being paired up with a random guy on a trip. I agree with most of the posts here, divers aren't looking to "hook up" they're just looking to see/experience cool stuff. If the SO isn't into it, they had better be understanding.

Merrimorte
11-11-2008, 21:19
Well I am a single female diver. Do not have a s/o and think nothing of diving with ANYONE as long as they have descent diving skills. I have always had a good deal (ratio wise) of male friends, so I think nothing of diving with men, either single ones or those involved. As far as I am concerned it is just about the diving with them. Of course it would be awesome to meet a nice young man to go out with (and dive with)... but haven't gotten that lucky yet! I don't think I would have a problem sharing a room with a male... as long as they understood there were no "extras" in the deal. <:

ok Mr! here ya go...

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/tricka3909/Meoct182008.jpg

OOOOH! you meant "GOOD" pics.. lol

I've been reading a lot of great things about Oronogo and the MO area quarries/springs. I'm hoping to do a diving road trip next summer - drive a large loop from Michigan to MO and hit a new dive spot each day.

It will be the Family Vacation of 2009 - well, without the geeky husband, smelly feet in the backseat, and dead relative on the car roof!

Hey I am seriously up for that! I also want to make a trip down there this coming summer! We oughta talk!

James1010
11-11-2008, 21:26
I married and live in Mexico as a Missionary. My dive buddy is a fellow Missionary here in Mexico and we dive every chance we can get. I have been trying to get my wife to enjoy the beauty and peacefullness of diving but she won't. But I have been working hard and she has started to show some interest. If any of you ladies where scared at first to dive but powered through it and are hooked let me know some secrets to get my wife to be my dive buddy!!!

BlowingBubbles
11-12-2008, 07:04
I am married and my husband dives. We took up diving together so actually, he is the only buddy I've ever had. I'm very comfortable with him and since he's ALWAYS up for diving when I am, there has never been a reason to buddy up with anyone else. He, however, has had another buddy since I'm not necessarily always up for it like he is.

I would have no problem diving with someone else if there were a need. As to rooming with someone of the opposite sex, I would have to say no way. Innocent it may all be but it's beyond my comfort level and something I wouldn't want my husband to do either.

gNats
11-12-2008, 07:38
Hey I am seriously up for that! I also want to make a trip down there this coming summer! We oughta talk!

You are on! Any other MI/OH divers that want to do a loop trip from MI through MO? I don't have a timeframe or duration in mind. Mid summer-ish when temps are warmer all around would be nice.

And, I will acknowledge I haven't even mapped the quarries out to see distance and locations.

If possible, I do know that I would like to check out Table Rock, Oronogo, Haigh (in IL) and one or two others who names escape me right now. My initial thoughts were to get in the car and drive and dive.

If you are interested, PM me and I will find a way to use Yahoo groups to start a discussion on this topic.

Nat

caroln
11-12-2008, 15:19
I checked in with my husband on this question, and he pretty much agreed on everything I initially said. The only area he might have a slight issue is sharing a room, but it all depends on the circumstances. Fair enough.

Splitlip
11-12-2008, 16:50
The only area he might have a slight issue is sharing a room

He knows I would have demanded his man card otherwise.

:smilie40:

cowgirldiver
11-12-2008, 16:52
How about extending the invitation to those of us not from MI/OH but close enough to Oronogo to meet up there!!! As long as the weekend is open (seems like a lot of my summer weekends are taken up with stuff with my son) I'll be there.

firenwater
11-12-2008, 17:04
I am married for a long time and I just took up diving . My hubby is not at all interested in diving unfortunately. We are the type of couple who usually do almost everything together. I dive with two married men. My man is friends with both and I also am friendly with their wives. As for traveling together without spouses, I could not see that happening. Even though there is a great deal of trust and respect between us, I don't think that is wise. I would not appreciate my husband going on a hunting trip with another women, innocent or not.

I would really like to have a female partner approximately my age and skill level. That would make it so nice.

All you beginner gals in NY feel free to pm me if you are looking for a dive partner.

Merrimorte
11-12-2008, 17:04

You are on! Any other MI/OH divers that want to do a loop trip from MI through MO? I don't have a timeframe or duration in mind. Mid summer-ish when temps are warmer all around would be nice.

And, I will acknowledge I haven't even mapped the quarries out to see distance and locations.

If possible, I do know that I would like to check out Table Rock, Oronogo, Haigh (in IL) and one or two others who names escape me right now. My initial thoughts were to get in the car and drive and dive.

If you are interested, PM me and I will find a way to use Yahoo groups to start a discussion on this topic.

Nat

How big is you vehicle nat?

Splitlip
11-12-2008, 17:17
I am married for a long time and I just took up diving . My hubby is not at all interested in diving unfortunately. We are the type of couple who usually do almost everything together. I dive with two married men. My man is friends with both and I also am friendly with their wives. As for traveling together without spouses, I could not see that happening. Even though there is a great deal of trust and respect between us, I don't think that is wise. I would not appreciate my husband going on a hunting trip with another women, innocent or not.

I would really like to have a female partner approximately my age and skill level. That would make it so nice.

All you beginner gals in NY feel free to pm me if you are looking for a dive partner.

See I disagree. The husband can do whatever he wants. Overnighters, same room whatever.
The wife however may go on a day trip, but not an overnight excursion and most definitely not in the same room as a man.
It is not a matter of trust, but rather appearances.

gNats
11-12-2008, 17:25
How about extending the invitation to those of us not from MI/OH but close enough to Oronogo to meet up there!!! As long as the weekend is open (seems like a lot of my summer weekends are taken up with stuff with my son) I'll be there.

HAHAHAHA - you read my mind! Actuall, my thoughts are to organize a caravan of MI, Canada, and OH divers to MO and see if we cannot find a "host" group of divers to meet us at the locales and act as local DMs.

This whole trip idea is in its infancy - I haven't really given thought to when (other than 2009 summerish time) or duration. I just know I want to experience these MO quarries at least once and was planning a solo road trip.

Now I am beginning to get a feeling that I may have started a conversation that can lead to a really large dive party! Wouldn't THAT be cool!

I definitely think I am going to have to take this offline and start a pre-planning thread. Maybe I will ask Larry if he can create a special event category for us in the Midwest section. I was going to use Yahoo groups or whatever it is called, but maybe keeping it in the Scubatoys forum serves us all better.

gNats
11-12-2008, 17:29

Nat

How big is you vehicle nat?

I have a compact SUV with cargo storage on top. It will easily carry two people and gear. To minimize weight, I would probably recommend renting tanks at the quarries. That will conserve fuel / mileage greatly and free up lots of space.

However, if we have enough people interested, I think we would be best served by renting a larger van and chipping in for all associated costs.

Who knows, this could be the event of 2009. :smiley2:

gNats
11-12-2008, 17:40

Hey! I thought only Chuck Norris could demand man-cards? :smilie39:

Splitlip
11-12-2008, 17:46
I was "baptised" by Mr. Norris in 1977. That'll work. :)

gNats
11-12-2008, 17:57
I was "baptised" by Mr. Norris in 1977. That'll work. :)

I'm laughing too hard to find anything to come back with! :smilie39:

caroln
11-12-2008, 17:58
Well I'm glad he doesn't have to have his man card revoked :)

I could see sharing accomodation if it was something like a condo with multiple bedrooms, or a trailer with the same like I stay in when I go to FL, but the standard hotel room thing is definitely a bit too cozy.

Splitlip
11-12-2008, 18:06
Agree. I was "fishing" a little.
A Motel 666 however...different story I think.

lucidblue
11-12-2008, 18:12
As for traveling together without spouses, I could not see that happening. Even though there is a great deal of trust and respect between us, I don't think that is wise. I would not appreciate my husband going on a hunting trip with another women, innocent or not.

Definitely agree with you on this.

CompuDude
11-12-2008, 19:40

As I said before, it's all a matter of trust. I've shared a bed on a 2-day liveaboard boat with a female dive buddy before, and my wife had no problem with it. She knows and trusts me, and in this case, knew and trusted the girl in question (also knew she had a boyfriend). Nothing going on, both grownups, and no extra beds on the boat, so this option was chosen.

If you have that level of trust in your relationship, all kinds of things are possible. If you don't, you have to make other arrangements.

Splitlip
11-12-2008, 20:29

As I said before, it's all a matter of trust. I've shared a bed on a 2-day liveaboard boat with a female dive buddy before, and my wife had no problem with it. She knows and trusts me, and in this case, knew and trusted the girl in question (also knew she had a boyfriend). Nothing going on, both grownups, and no extra beds on the boat, so this option was chosen.

If you have that level of trust in your relationship, all kinds of things are possible. If you don't, you have to make other arrangements.
You are the man! Hi fives and chest bumping all around!

Now, search deep inside yourself. Would you have any second thoughts about your wife doing the same?

I honestly would have a problem. Not a trust issue, but appearances. But then, I am 2nd generation Italian-Irish. It is something in my genes.

The Italians are heads down old fashioned and very religious. The Irish are carousing "players". Either way I am screwed. Either faced with pride and guilt or a reputation up to which I must live. :smiley36:

Skuttle
11-12-2008, 22:39
I'm married and husband doesn't dive, heck, he barely floats..:smilie39:

So far I haven't run into any problems with having male dive buddy's. I have even taken a couple of trips. With this sport beening predomaintely male, there is really no way around not having contact with the male population for dive buddy's. With that being said, trust as some have mentioned is a key factor.

Splitlip
11-12-2008, 23:00
With this sport beening predomaintely male, there is really no way around not having contact with the male

I like your reasoning. Got a picture? :smiley2:

Skuttle
11-12-2008, 23:07
You would probably get someone to post a pic, if you weren't so anxious about a picture...:smiley2:

divechaplain-sara
11-13-2008, 00:43
I am a single female. And I will dive with whoever is available. I generally try to get a group together to dive. If I am diving with a guy, I like to make sure that there are three people in our outing if at all possible. If the other diver is a married male or is in a relationship, I want to make sure that his SO knows that he will be diving with me and is OK with that. There are two important reasons why this is my practice. One is that I want to be respectful of and honor other people's marital relationships. The other reason is that I am a minister and it is important that I do all that I can to keep my reputation beyond reproach--that falls into the concern about appearances. I have a female dive buddy who has been my buddy for all dive overnight dive trips.

Lulubelle
11-13-2008, 00:54
I'm a single gal and am happy to dive with whomever I click with/is available to dive/is a safe diver. Sometimes they are other people's husbands or SOs. If they act like it, no problem.

If they don't, I treat them just like I do the multitudes of other people's husbands that hit on me while I am traveling on business which is to remind them in short order that I happen to think I deserve a whole man, not a kibble and a bit! And that if I was going to have a fling on said business trip, I would have it with someone far younger than they are :smiley36:

Regular dive pal is a gal, sort of.

fire diver
11-13-2008, 01:07
.... one day as I was looking through the member list (seeing if perhaps firediver's birthday might be listed, lol) that .....

Ohhhhh, BUSTED! :smiley36:

CompuDude
11-13-2008, 03:14
You are the man! Hi fives and chest bumping all around!

Now, search deep inside yourself. Would you have any second thoughts about your wife doing the same?

I honestly would have a problem. Not a trust issue, but appearances. But then, I am 2nd generation Italian-Irish. It is something in my genes.

The Italians are heads down old fashioned and very religious. The Irish are carousing "players". Either way I am screwed. Either faced with pride and guilt or a reputation up to which I must live. :smiley36:

Depends on the guy. But as long as I had advanced notice and gave permission, absolutely no problem.

But my relationship is not the same as yours... nor is anyone's the same as anyone else's, really.

And I'm Irish, more than anything else. :smiley31:

John Yaskowich
11-13-2008, 08:56
Not totally on topic but my wife is perfectly fine with me sharing a room with an old girlfriend when I go to Science Fiction conventions. Charlene (my wife) knows and likes Louise, and trusts us both. Charlene doesn't dive so we still have to sort out dive partners and such. So far I have been partnering with whoever is available on day trips - my partners were female about 20% of the time this summer.

And, yes, I would be OK with Charlene sharing a room with a male (even an old boyfriend) if she was going on a trip without me. I trust her totally as well.

Foo2
11-13-2008, 10:03
Holy crap! I must be the most jealous person ever!!!! I would shoot myself in the leg before I told my husband to go on an over-nighter with a woman! I realize that we are all adults, and I do trust my husband, but I certainly wouldn't trust the woman. Let's face it, my hunny is a hottie! :D

mwhities
11-13-2008, 10:55
Michael:
I am your biggest fan and all. I have buddied with a few girls, but there is no way on God's green earth I would share a room.

I am kind of funny that way. Something in my genes.

Edit: sorry. My bad. GENES.

Well, I love and respect my wife and she and I both know nothing will ever happen.

Most of the girls I've shared rooms with are more like brothers than girls/women or sisters. We have the same passion and desire to dive. Nothing else matters.

"Something in your JEANS" - That can get you in trouble.. ;) (GENES, I know. :P)

Michael

mwhities
11-13-2008, 11:00
< snip > Let's face it, my hunny is a hottie! :D

I wish I had that problem. :|

Michael

cowgirldiver
11-13-2008, 12:33
I do have to say that when I have shared a room with a guy diver, it was a room with 2 beds, we are both single and we both stayed in our own beds!!!! I don't know if I was in Michael's situation where a single bed was the only one available and had to be shared whether I could do it or not.

cummings66
11-13-2008, 14:33
My wife would be fine with me sharing a room with another female diver, and if she dove I'd feel the same way for her.

Neither does she mind if we take a long trip to go diving, well, long as in a day trip. I've picked her up at 5 in the morning and brought her back home at 10 that night. Long day for me since I drove the whole way, but it was fun because we had time to discuss diving and more advanced topics. She's an OW diver who likes to learn and I like to talk, it works well. Of course we talk of other subjects but it's nothing serious.

Some people are jealous by nature and others are not. Sometimes it's warranted and other times it's innocent. It just depends on the parties involved.

Sometimes both of our families get together and go diving, well her husband has never went and hasn't even expressed a desire to watch while her kids like to watch and my daughter likes to play with her kids. My wife watches the kids while we dive, then when it's over we all go out to eat somewhere and it's a nice day for everybody involved, except the stay at home husband.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-13-2008, 19:00
Holy crap! I must be the most jealous person ever!!!! I would shoot myself in the leg before I told my husband to go on an over-nighter with a woman! I realize that we are all adults, and I do trust my husband, but I certainly wouldn't trust the woman. Let's face it, my hunny is a hottie! :D

I'd say my wife is even more jealous. She's had problems with me having a female buddy during a one day class. I must either be a hottie or untrustworthy. Not sure which :smiley2:

fire diver
11-13-2008, 19:06
I think some of it can come from past relationships too. If your SO was cheated on, they are proabably a little more gun-shy tan the norm.

I've never cheated in a relationship, but heck, I wouldn't even trust ME. (at least not right now. When the army chicks start looking good, it's been WAY too long!)

Shenanigan
11-13-2008, 19:23
I think some of it can come from past relationships too. If your SO was cheated on, they are proabably a little more gun-shy tan the norm.

I've never cheated in a relationship, but heck, I wouldn't even trust ME. (at least not right now. When the army chicks start looking good, it's been WAY too long!)

:smiley36::smiley19::smiley36::smiley19:

You must be due for an R&R leave soon!

Shenanigan
11-13-2008, 19:35

:smiley_thinking: And I must be insane! This was a while ago, but I willingly/encouragingly let a new boyfriend go on a dive vacation (that had already been paid for) with his ex. He said he had a crappy time ... but what do I really know??? We split up later, but not over that.

Splitlip
11-13-2008, 20:08
Not totally on topic but my wife is perfectly fine with me sharing a room with an old girlfriend when I go to Science Fiction conventions.

Te salute!

scubajane
11-13-2008, 20:19
I married and live in Mexico as a Missionary. My dive buddy is a fellow Missionary here in Mexico and we dive every chance we can get. I have been trying to get my wife to enjoy the beauty and peacefullness of diving but she won't. But I have been working hard and she has started to show some interest. If any of you ladies where scared at first to dive but powered through it and are hooked let me know some secrets to get my wife to be my dive buddy!!!

I gave my Hubby scuba lessons for his birthday several years ago. He went to 1 lesson and dropped out. he was told that the check out dive would be the instructor throwing a rock in the river and he had to go get it. he didn't think that was safe.
a year or so later he decided he wanted to try again and he did a little research on scuba. he told me that in scuba you need a buddy that you can trust with your life... who better than his wife (me) OOOH NOOOO. that's right he pulled out the 'for better or worse clause' so the deal we made was. I would take the class with him and do the check out dives and if I still really hated it then I didn't have to dive any more. I'm the one now who always says, 'where are we going next?' he knows that I am the weaker diver and has always gone at my pace. education has been very helpful. I read anything scuba now.
the other thing that really freaked me out was watching the water come up over my mask. I learned to close my eyes and put my face in the water I open my eyes underwater and I go under just fine now
If you need more help or if she wants to talk to me let me know. I was really freaked for the first 10 -15 dives and then I settled down into the addicted diver behavior. I want to live underwater!!

Splitlip
11-14-2008, 17:32
Well I am a single female diver. Do not have a s/o and think nothing of diving with ANYONE as long as they have descent diving skills. I have always had a good deal (ratio wise) of male friends, so I think nothing of diving with men, either single ones or those involved. As far as I am concerned it is just about the diving with them. Of course it would be awesome to meet a nice young man to go out with (and dive with)... but haven't gotten that lucky yet! I don't think I would have a problem sharing a room with a male... as long as they understood there were no "extras" in the deal. <:

ok Mr! here ya go...

We oughta talk!

Well thanks for at least not calling mw Ms. splitlip. :)

sea princess
11-15-2008, 13:30
I am okay with having male dive buddies as long as they aren't the I am so awesome.. i dove this deep and I did this many dives... and i can do this and that etc etc.. type. That kind of ego makes me afraid to dive with them. I think as long as you both agree on the dive plan and are safe divers and they know i am married and not interested in anything else it can work just fine.
However..my husband is beginning to have a hard time with it since he does not dive and doesn't know the people i am in class with or diving with. I need to be respectful of his feelings. I would never want to jeapordize my marriage with my love for diving. I do more dives as a group of three since my friend and her hubby dive too.
I keep sharing my love for diving and bringing my husband around other divers so he may someday give it a try again. I pray he comes and joins me someday but i definately want it to be his idea not mine.

Shark girl
11-15-2008, 23:08
My b/f is fine with me taking day trips with other men. I did go sailing/diving for a week with another guy, and b/f's found that hard to deal with in retrospect (no accusations made, but he seems to think there are too many pictures of me looking smiley and happy...). The sailor was a fantastic dive buddy, but I don't think I'll be allowed off with him again in a hurry!

John Yaskowich
11-17-2008, 09:06
Not totally on topic but my wife is perfectly fine with me sharing a room with an old girlfriend when I go to Science Fiction conventions.

Te salute!

And the really interesting coincidence was that my dive buddy during OW was an ex-boyfriend of my wife. We had never met before the class. During the first session "Hi, my name is ... and I am interested in diving because ..." bit, I mentioned my wife's name. He asked me at the pool if she was a nurse. Yes. Did her last name used to be ...? Yes. When we figured out who was who, the rest of the class couldn't understand why we were laughing so hard.

gNats
11-17-2008, 10:14
My b/f is fine with me taking day trips with other men. I did go sailing/diving for a week with another guy, and b/f's found that hard to deal with in retrospect (no accusations made, but he seems to think there are too many pictures of me looking smiley and happy...). The sailor was a fantastic dive buddy, but I don't think I'll be allowed off with him again in a hurry!

Shark Girl

As I read your posting, I couldn't help but think of the Robert Redford/Demi Moore movie - Indecent Proposal. Where the ultra-billionare offered to pay a million dollars for one night with this guy's wife. The wife and guy agreed to it, but then he suffered from seller's remorse.

Thanks for sharing!

Merrimorte
11-17-2008, 11:52

ok Mr! here ya go...

We oughta talk!

Well thanks for at least not calling mw Ms. splitlip. :)

LOL you're welcome! :smiley36:

tiggrr
11-21-2008, 01:40
I've been single for most of my dive career and I've had nothing but great dive buds except from one shop.

I've shared motels with plutonic dive buds, flown across the country to meet new buds, gone on trips by myself and had no problems. Met most of them online.

But, went out with a guy from a local shop and man! Never seen so many boys act like gossipy little girls. I'd call them men but, the last straw was a guy in the shop that I didn't even know was making jokes that I was sleeping with one of my married dive buddies. Not to mention one of their employees wrote a homophobic slur on my back windshield while I was in their shop. Had a long talk with the owner of the shop about defamation of character and malicious destruction of property. I don't go to that shop any more. Nor do they bother me.

The married couple who started all of this with me are in their 40's.

Scary huh?

Since then, I've dated a few dive buds but, nothing serious. To be honest, after all of that garbage, I'm not in any hurry for any kind of major relationship. I've been really lucky and met some great dive peeps this last year. Still friends with the ones I've dated and that I am thankful for. Wow! It was really a great summer for diving.

Chocoholic
12-09-2008, 15:29
I gotta say that I would not be ok with my hubby staying overnight with another woman, and he would not be ok with me staying with another man. It is not a matter of trusting me, it is a matter of trusting the other person and what would people say!

As far as dive buddies that are guys, I usually end up with a guy as a bud but will dive with a lady too. I don't care as long as I get to dive. We have had a few go arounds because he is bored while I am diving, not because I am diving with a guy. He is more jealous that I am off diving than who I am diving with.
He is absolutely not interested in diving, he finally decided he likes snorkeling but is not totally comfortable with it.
I try to plan our trips so that he can golf or do something while I dive. Most often I dive in the early morning while he sleeps in and then I spend the rest of the day with him.

imasinker
12-09-2008, 16:38
I am married and as of the moment the wife doesn't dive, but likes to snorkle. I have a few times had a female as a dive buddy. like most people to me what's more inportant is the trust you feel confident in your dive buddy and that's most important. My wife has at times snorkled with other guys as I was diving and we trust eachother. She will be taking the basic open water course this winter and I am sure there will be times she will dive with other people than myself. My main or only concern with who she dives with is that they will be the best dive buddy for the both of them.

SEMO Scuba
12-14-2008, 18:43
It wasn't diving but... Three years ago my barefoot waterski buddies and I put together a clinic and hired the top world pro skier to teach for us. One of the skiers that came to our clinic was a very pretty 25 year old female. She was a good barefoot skier. She and the pro skier stayed with me at my place at the lake. It has three bedrooms so everyone had a room. My wife had to work as this was on a weekday so she could not be there. She was a bit apprehensive about a pretty young woman staying with me.

I said to my wife; I am a nearly 50 year old man that is 20 pounds overweight. The other guy is the top world professional mens barefoot waterskier who happens to be 28 years old and quite physically fit. Do you really think you need to worry?????????????

NorthWoodsDiver1
12-14-2008, 19:55
Maybe I should take up bare foot water skiing.

I am a single male chiming in. I dont know if I could ever date anyone who doesn't dive, all I do is dive or read about diving or search for gear so it would likely not go over well any other way.

Its never been an issue for me to dive with people of the opposite gender, even if they are in a relationship. Usually their partner wants them otta the house for a while anyway. In fact I think it's the guys I dive with that have their hubby jealous cause they spend more time with me (and other members of our group) than they do with their significant other.

Even when I dove in coz last year, there was a girl my age who was diving with her father and brother but she hung out with us complete strangers while on surface intervals with no issue.

The nature of diving requires a certain amount of trust or understanding (with all parties) as the 2 people diving may need to rely on each other for life support. The general public view diving as something that shouldn't be done alone which may help to account for your spouse letting you leave with someone of the opposite sex.

Maybe I should take this thread as an opportunity to start a classified add looking for single female diver, under 35, active in or interested in tech diving, and with plenty of disposable income...:smiley2:

T

dmdoss
12-14-2008, 23:07
Now ladies, really how many of you would dive with something that looked like this.

LCF
12-15-2008, 05:33
I'm a married woman whose husband dives, but not as much as I do. Most of my buddies are either married or in relationships. At one point, I worried a lot about my primary buddy's wife, and what she thought of him spending a couple of evenings a week with me. When I finally met her, she said, "Oh, I'm so glad he dives with you, because you're a SAFE diver. He used to dive with UNSAFE divers!"

I have done a week long dive trip where I shared a room with one of my cave diving buddies. My husband didn't object. I think he figures I'm way too old to appeal to anybody else . . . :)

Lulubelle
12-15-2008, 07:03
I'm a married woman whose husband dives, but not as much as I do. Most of my buddies are either married or in relationships. At one point, I worried a lot about my primary buddy's wife, and what she thought of him spending a couple of evenings a week with me. When I finally met her, she said, "Oh, I'm so glad he dives with you, because you're a SAFE diver. He used to dive with UNSAFE divers!"

I have done a week long dive trip where I shared a room with one of my cave diving buddies. My husband didn't object. I think he figures I'm way too old to appeal to anybody else . . . :)

At the risk of being flamed on out of here, I would say that it may be a little bit different to trust a married woman with sharing a room with a man than vice versa. I know, sexist and certainly not true across the board.

I'm single, and I would not share a room with a man, single or not, unless I was used to sharing quarters with him already! Now my dive buddy doesn't care at all, but she is a paramedic and used to bunking in with the boys.

As for day trips, anyone that can't handle a spouse or SO taking a day trip or even an group overnight trip with separate quarters probably has some trust issues to work on.

wgt
12-15-2008, 08:33
We are adults and not animals after all, at least I am.

1. I understand that many animals are also adults. Where do all those baby bunny rabbits come from?!

2. We are animals (Homo sapiens sapiens), at least I am.

3. Can divers with SOs dive with buddies of the opposite gender without compromising their own relationships? Of course. But...some will still take risks and cross the line. Some will even cross the line with dive buddies of their own gender. We are an interesting animal, aren't we?!

gNats
12-15-2008, 10:11
Now ladies, really how many of you would dive with something that looked like this.
I would. But, that's the point right? We would be diving.

imasinker
12-15-2008, 10:26
All I know is that, after three dives, a couple of jugs of beer, a few unpleasant burst of rear off gassing, I sure as hell don't appeal to anyone but the wife... god bless her soul...LOL

Lulubelle
12-15-2008, 16:03
All I know is that, after three dives, a couple of jugs of beer, a few unpleasant burst of rear off gassing, I sure as hell don't appeal to anyone but the wife... god bless her soul...LOL
Thanks for reminding me that i LOVE being single:smiley36:

BuzzF117
12-15-2008, 16:31
Well the "talk " I recieved as a kid about the "other" sex was pretty simple and straight forward.

IF IT AINT YOUR BIKE DON"T RIDE IT.

ektess1
12-15-2008, 19:06
I think that my wife would alow me to dive with a naked nymph as long as she was a 'good budy'. That being said, she thinks that every woman in the world wants me. I don't really believe that.. well not really...welllll
But anyway. She would have real problems with me going off with another woman for any activity, not just diving. She knows that nothing would happen. She trust me. It's just you lusty women that she doesn't trust.

dmdoss
12-16-2008, 00:56
I tend to scare the fish off.:smiley36:

I would. But, that's the point right? We would be diving.

dallasdivergirl
12-16-2008, 09:38
Well the "talk " I recieved as a kid about the "other" sex was pretty simple and straight forward.

IF IT AINT YOUR BIKE DON"T RIDE IT.

That is great advice.

One of my close friends was going to either have to office at home or share an office with a woman. He chose a home office. His standard was not to spend more than 5 minutes alone with a woman who was not his wife.

shawnwill36
12-16-2008, 09:49
i think that is a great standard. one that is definatly respectful

dmdoss
12-16-2008, 12:01
I'll dive with anybody once. Male or female, unless they prove to be an idiot. As far as the women dive buddies, my wife trusts me. And i'm diving with my kids most the time.

cummings66
12-16-2008, 17:14
His standard was not to spend more than 5 minutes alone with a woman who was not his wife.

That's great, but many men are called minute men and it's an apt description. They don't need more than 5 minutes.:smiley5:

Crimediver
12-17-2008, 06:18
I suspect some of y'all folks are posting this stuff to reassure your snooping significant others that you are squeaky clean....Very clever.

If I had to bunk down in a bed with a cute dive buddy of the opposite sex and did not attemp to try a little bit of "spooning', I think I would have to tear up my own man card.

If you are ever in that situation ask yourself 'What would Chuck Norris do?" Then go ahead and do it!

And while I am at it, there was a scene in a James Bond movie where 007 was scuba diving with a hottie and they sank out of sight behind a coral head. The next thing you saw was a rush of bubbles coming up from behind it. What do you think was going on ? It was Bond, James Bond, for crying out loud. They wern't practicing an air sharing drill. They were getting their membership into the Ten Fathom Club.

Just remember, What goes on underwater, stays underwater....

dallasdivergirl
12-17-2008, 09:06
you little "scenarios" are all well and good if & only if both parties are single. if you think some of the people are "protesting" too much, they are probably speaking from experiences you might not have had yourself. coming from someone who's spouse did cheat , I appreciate a person that would not put themselves in a position for me to even have to think that there might be something on the side going on & I would do the same for them.

I suspect some of y'all folks are posting this stuff to reassure your snooping significant others that you are squeaky clean....Very clever.

If I had to bunk down in a bed with a cute dive buddy of the opposite sex and did not attemp to try a little bit of "spooning', I think I would have to tear up my own man card.

If you are ever in that situation ask yourself 'What would Chuck Norris do?" Then go ahead and do it!

And while I am at it, there was a scene in a James Bond movie where 007 was scuba diving with a hottie and they sank out of sight behind a coral head. The next thing you saw was a rush of bubbles coming up from behind it. What do you think was going on ? It was Bond, James Bond, for crying out loud. They wern't practicing an air sharing drill. They were getting their membership into the Ten Fathom Club.

BlowingBubbles
12-17-2008, 11:35
you little "scenarios" are all well and good if & only if both parties are single. if you think some of the people are "protesting" too much, they are probably speaking from experiences you might not have had yourself. coming from someone who's spouse did cheat , I appreciate a person that would not put themselves in a position for me to even have to think that there might be something on the side going on & I would do the same for them.

I agree. Having been through several relationships where the men were more loyal to their dogs than to me, I appreciate not having to be concerned with what my husband is doing; diving or not. Actions speak louder than words. Well, Crimediver, are you being tongue-in-cheek with your words? Not sure if you are even in a relationship or not. If not, it's easy to throw words around. If so, I would hope that your SO or spouse doesn't read this. :smiley5:

maverick
12-17-2008, 18:40
I'm a dirty o'l man, any of U ladys wanna go diving?

Crimediver
12-17-2008, 19:21
Life was much simpler when scuba diving was mainly a male sport. Women would swoon in the presence of divers such as Mike Nelson. We did not have to have touchy feely discussions about how to behave. They were simpler times when women were overcome with passion as they fell under our spell, overcome by the strong male essence as we slung our twin tanks over our head to don them and backrolled into the sea to face danger, armed only with a large knife and breathing from a double hose Aquamaster. Men did not have to worry about having a female buddy back in the old days because we dove solo. And the only card we needed for diving with was our man-card.

spiritdancer2u
12-17-2008, 19:24
I am not certified yet, but do plan on diving with my husband. I wouldnt mind diving with anyone else and I wouldnt mind if he dived with anyone else either. As long as he is having fun, I dont care who he dived with and I am sure it is visa versa with me.

gNats
12-17-2008, 19:25
Life was much simpler when scuba diving was mainly a male sport. Women would swoon in the presence of divers such as Mike Nelson. We did not have to have touchy feely discussions about how to behave. They were simpler times when women were overcome with passion as they fell under our spell, overcome by the strong male essence as we slung our twin tanks over our head to don them and backrolled into the sea to face danger, armed only with a large knife and breathing from a double hose Aquamaster. Men did not have to worry about having a female buddy back in the old days because we dove solo. And the only card we needed for diving with was our man-card.

hahahahaha - so many comments so little time. Crimediver, I'm trying to decide if you just really dated yourself or if the Mothership may be calling for you to return to your originating planet.

:smilie39:

wgt
12-17-2008, 19:28

Crimediver
12-17-2008, 20:23
Since I learned to dive from watching Sea Hunt I probably have dated myself. My first reg was a Voit double hose just like the one used by Mike Nelson.
Great show. One of my favorite lines was when a female upstart named Blaze got a bit fiesty with Mike Nelson. The famous line was:

"What she needed was a good spanking; I just didn't have time to give it to her," Mike Nelson

shawnwill36
12-18-2008, 11:03
i think crimediver needs to go back to the cave man days where he used to hit his woman over the head and drag her by the hair. my bet is that he has been divorced 5 times and cant get a woman

Lulubelle
12-18-2008, 12:41
I suspect crimediver is being a bit tongue in cheek. Bottom line, whether or not you are single or married, if you don't want to do something because it doesn't fit into your moral code or isn't respectful of your SO, don't put yourself in the line of temptation. Once you are in a tempting situation, you are toast. Human beings just aren't quite that strong.

I once assumed that I was "safe" when hanging with married men because I assumed that they were not interested, they were married after all. I'm not that naive anymore. I have some very dear long term married male friends that I will spend a day on a boat with sans wife and could have them stay in my home sans wife. Their wives would be fine with, but we have 20 year histories as friends and are like family. But with newer guy friends, day trips for diving are IT. If it was a diving trip with an overnight and my buddy was married, we would absolutely have to have separate quarters.

Honestly, when i am diving, it is diving that is on my mind, not boys. Though I will freely admit to having a glorious day when I was recently on a boat with the entire Charlotte Mecklenburg Police department (all good tech divers) and i was the ONLY girl. They were terrific. And hot.

Crimediver
12-18-2008, 19:28
i think crimediver needs to go back to the cave man days where he used to hit his woman over the head and drag her by the hair. my bet is that he has been divorced 5 times and cant get a woman

Thanks Shawnwill, those were the good old days...I admit it sure sounds like fun but I really never get down to cave country much anymore. I actually found a Mako scooter to be of more use in dragging a gal into a cave. I will keep that useful tip about the hair in mind though...

dmdoss
12-21-2008, 23:53
I have to throw this in, here is one of my favorite dive buddies. http://forum.scubatoys.com/members/jddoss.html and one of the reasons I dont have hair.

Splitlip
12-22-2008, 06:12

Thanks Shawnwill, those were the good old days...I admit it sure sounds like fun but I really never get down to cave country much anymore. I actually found a Mako scooter to be of more use in dragging a gal into a cave. I will keep that useful tip about the hair in mind though...

Damn. I missed most of this party.:smilie39:

Italianprincess
12-22-2008, 11:30
1) are you a married/committed or single woman diver? ....
I'm Committed now, but NEVER even considered the sex or marital status of a dive buddy! As long as he's not my ex husband!! LOL Dear God, we're only diving!

2) does your hubby/SO dive?....
My BF...sweetheart that he is, is getting certified as we speak, so he can be my dive buddy! But if either of us weren't available while the other was diving, YOU can be our dive buddy! LOL

Splitlip
12-22-2008, 16:37
1) are you a married/committed or single woman diver? ....
I'm Committed now, but NEVER even considered the sex or marital status of a dive buddy! As long as he's not my ex husband!! LOL Dear God, we're only diving!

2) does your hubby/SO dive?....
My BF...sweetheart that he is, is getting certified as we speak, so he can be my dive buddy! But if either of us weren't available while the other was diving, YOU can be our dive buddy! LOL

OK. I am confused again. I'm actually not a woman.

But you said the word "sex". That is cool.

You mentioned your boyfriend though. That is a turn off.

"only diving!" is that what they call it now adays.

Was this post even intended for my response?

I'm off to evaluate these developments.

So Princess, what are you wearing in your avatar?:smiley2:

Splitlip
12-22-2008, 17:49
Though I will freely admit to having a glorious day when I was recently on a boat with the entire Charlotte Mecklenburg Police department (all good tech divers) and i was the ONLY girl. They were terrific. And hot.
So, how did Goober look in his Speedo? Were Floyd, Gomer and Barney there?

Italianprincess
12-22-2008, 19:07
Its amusing, or perhaps entertaining to see how this group gets so easily sidetracked from the original thread!! And Tim, I'm wearing wings....and a halo in my avitar! LOL

Splitlip
12-22-2008, 22:02
Touche!
Well done La mia Principessa.:smiley36:

Lulubelle
12-22-2008, 22:34
Though I will freely admit to having a glorious day when I was recently on a boat with the entire Charlotte Mecklenburg Police department (all good tech divers) and i was the ONLY girl. They were terrific. And hot.

I'm confused Split, Goober is my pet name for my little bro, and he looked darn fine in his speedo when they put that Gold medal around his neck. A little skinny perhaps at 162 and 6'4", but good. He might come kick your a.. if you don't stop disparaging his fellow North Carolinians.

He doesn't wear a speedo anymore, he is old now.

As for the Charlotte Mecklenburg boys, all I can say is YUMMY>

L

Splitlip
12-22-2008, 22:39

I'm confused Split, Goober is my pet name for my little bro, and he looked darn fine in his speedo when they put that Gold medal around his neck. A little skinny perhaps at 162 and 6'4", but good. He might come kick your a.. if you don't stop disparaging his fellow North Carolinians.

L

:smiley32:

Lulubelle
12-23-2008, 08:32

L

:smiley32:

But Tim, really nothing clever in this post, I really do call him Goober. Someone needs to keep him down to earth, my job as big sister. And he will beat to crap out of anyone who disparages his big sister or home boys from NC, so watch out.

I hope to make him one of my male dive buddies if he can ever get his stupid photo in to his certifying agency. I suspect he will need to learn how not to move so fast in water. Maybe you guys will end up on a dive boat and then you can see if you want to talk smack to a 6'4" guy with big muscles!

PS-One of the Mayberry crew is one of bro's clients, funny enough.

Have a good one all.

Vercingetorix
01-06-2009, 11:08
I wish my wife dived. I can barely get her to snorkel...in a pool. I would love to share the excitement with her and discuss our common experiences on dives. Having a built-in dive buddy would be a definate plus.

She has encouraged me to go on dive trips, but I cannot, in good conscience, spend a few grand on myself to dive while she sits at home in Dallas. She says she would not accompany me to the dive locations, because she would be bored awaiting my return from the day's dive.

Concerning dive buddies, were I to find one for a dive trip, gotta be male. I think she bases that on my...ahem...earlier life style. OK...I admit it...I like to look at pretty girls...and go out with them...sue me!

As such, she truly believes that I cannot have a female dive buddy without hitting on same. She even gets concerned if my dive buddy at Clear Springs Scuba Park (a hotbed, primal, sexual hunting ground) is female. So, when I go diving there, my "buddies" are always named "Tom" or "Scot" or "Joe". I'm never going to meet and dive with "Deborah" or "Susan" or "Lulubelle".

Lulubelle
01-06-2009, 11:19
I wish my wife dived. I can barely get her to snorkel...in a pool. I would love to share the excitement with her and discuss our common experiences on dives. Having a built-in dive buddy would be a definate plus.

She has encouraged me to go on dive trips, but I cannot, in good conscience, spend a few grand on myself to dive while she sits at home in Dallas. She says she would not accompany me to the dive locations, because she would be bored awaiting my return from the day's dive.

Concerning dive buddies, were I to find one for a dive trip, gotta be male. I think she bases that on my...ahem...earlier life style. OK...I admit it...I like to look at pretty girls...and go out with them...sue me!

As such, she truly believes that I cannot have a female dive buddy without hitting on same. She even gets concerned if my dive buddy at Clear Springs Scuba Park (a hotbed, primal, sexual hunting ground) is female. So, when I go diving there, my "buddies" are always named "Tom" or "Scot" or "Joe". I'm never going to meet and dive with "Deborah" or "Susan" or "Lulubelle".

Well V, tell your wife that it isn't all about you. Although I am sure that it would be terribly, terribly difficult, your wife needn't fear if you went diving with me. I'd put you right on into the "married dude" box (which makes you instantly unappealing in the biblical sense) and there you would safely stay. If you tried to get out.... :zzwhip:

Probably half of the guys I have been diving with were married, half not, makes no difference to me. Although I do think it would be lovely to meet a SINGLE fellow who dives and who is my cup of tea on land. Diving would be a great thing to share with an SO.

Vercingetorix
01-06-2009, 11:31
Well V, tell your wife that it isn't all about you. Although I am sure that it would be terribly, terribly difficult, your wife needn't fear if you went diving with me. I'd put you right on into the "married dude" box (which makes you instantly unappealing in the biblical sense) and there you would safely stay. If you tried to get out.... :zzwhip:
Given that you're geographically unavailable, you're definitely in the "safe" category.

My wife is my best friend; I'd rather share a moment with her than anybody else. (Tim will give me a hard time for that statement). Have there been other opportunities?...yeah, but I simply prefer her. Hence, I wish she could/would dive.

Splitlip
01-06-2009, 11:38
That's because she keeps your coglioni in her purse. Or does she keep them hanging on the wall.:)

edit: Sorry Rick. Where your wife keeps your package is non of my buisiness.

Lulubelle
01-06-2009, 11:40
Given that you're geographically unavailable, you're definitely in the "safe" category.

My wife is my best friend; I'd rather share a moment with her than anybody else. (Tim will give me a hard time for that statement). Have there been other opportunities?...yeah, but I simply prefer her. Hence, I wish she could/would dive.

Aww, that is sweet, really sweet. :smiley32:

All I was saying was that regardless of whether or not a married fellow had HIS heart in the right place, mine is, so any wife could consider me a "safe" dive buddy for her husband.

I travel, the world is my oyster, my geographical location is not what makes me "safe".

I wouldn't have a problem if I had a husband who wanted to dive with women some of the time. He wouldn't be my husband if I didn't trust him.

Many happy dives.

L

Vercingetorix
01-06-2009, 12:39
That's because she keeps your coglioni in her purse. Or does she keep them hanging on the wall.:)

edit: Sorry Rick. Where your wife keeps your package is non of my business.You are a sad, sad, little man...:smilie39:

waytooslow
01-06-2009, 13:18
I will not chime in too much -

V,

'Jealous wife' charged in fatal genitals fire - Criminal weirdness- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28518932/)

I would hate to see what would have happened if he had to share air or.... :smilie40:

Lulubelle
01-06-2009, 13:32
I will not chime in too much -

V,

'Jealous wife' charged in fatal genitals fire - Criminal weirdness- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28518932/)

I would hate to see what would have happened if he had to share air or.... :smilie40:

Oh my! Well, hell hath no fury...

gNats
01-06-2009, 13:51
what the he** happened to this thread. Talk about HIJACKED! :smiley2:

Lulubelle
01-06-2009, 14:02
what the he** happened to this thread. Talk about HIJACKED! :smiley2:

Oh, I don't know gNats, looks still on topic to me...issues around having male dive buddies!:smiley36:

Splitlip
01-06-2009, 17:16

edit: Sorry Rick. Where your wife keeps your package is non of my business.You are a sad, sad, little man...:smilie39:

I did not marry my best friend. (His name is Larry)

Vercingetorix
01-06-2009, 17:20
I did not marry my best friend. (His name is Larry) well at least not in California...

Ya see, Tim, I can see you're jealous of me. Because, your wife will let you dive with a female dive buddy. She trusts you. Really trusts you. Nope, not threatened, because you're not threatening to other women. And, she's not concerned another woman diver will come on to you. Yep, that's trust. real trust.:smilie39:

Besides, my wife "completes me"...

//I think I just threw-up a little in my mouth at that last statement.

Splitlip
01-06-2009, 17:27
I did not marry my best friend. (His name is Larry) well at least not in California...

Ya see, Tim, I can see you're jealous of me. Because, your wife will let you dive with a female dive buddy. She trusts you. Really trusts you. Nope, not threatened, because you're not threatening to other women. And, she's not concerned another woman diver will come on to you. Yep, that's trust. real trust.:smilie39:

Besides, my wife "completes me"...

//I think I just threw-up a little in my mouth at that last statement.

That's ok. I just spit water all over my desk.

Splitlip
01-06-2009, 19:11
"The atom bomb is but a child's toy compared to the power of a married woman. Every single man out there knows this, because we've all lost friends to that power. We've seen what it has done to our fallen brethren: men who used to be loud, crude, obnoxious, and perpetually horny, everything a man is supposed to be, but after just six months of married life give no indication that they ever even had male genitalia."

Author unknown.

Vercingetorix
01-07-2009, 09:02
"The atom bomb is but a child's toy compared to the power of a married woman. Every single man out there knows this, because we've all lost friends to that power. We've seen what it has done to our fallen brethren: men who used to be loud, crude, obnoxious, and perpetually horny, everything a man is supposed to be, but after just six months of married life give no indication that they ever even had male genitalia."

Author unknown.You're supposed to end with:

Amen...

pyre24
01-07-2009, 21:48
Im single and male and i personally dont care who i dive with, as long as i get to dive. but the more i dive with them the more comfortable i am with them. the first time with someone new is usually confusing, and can be nerve racking. but it all gets better.

H20newbie
01-08-2009, 21:24
Hey Gnat..

I'll be your dive buddy and I am a girl to boot. :smiley20: Wanna go to Bonaire with me?????

Rockhound76
01-09-2009, 10:17
Okay...I"m not the only creepy guy who couldn't resist this thread.

I've been diving more than 30 years and married for 24. My wife has never had an interest in diving. For some reason, I have frequently had female dive buddies, both as insta-buddies and for planned dive trips. This has never been a problem for me or my wife. I annoy, challenge and vex my wife, but she trusts me, as she should.

One of my occasional dive buddies is a single female. I've known her now for 10 years after meeting her on a trip. She is a very good diver, has incredibly low air consumption and is fun to talk to between dives.

My wife has met her and is not threatened, even though my friend and I took several trips to the Flower Gardens together before they met. Since then, we have met up at other locations (she lives about 4 hours away). For some odd reason, she has yet to meet and date someone who dives, so even when she had a boyfriend, I still have my buddy.

Like anything else in life, picking a dive buddy is a judgement call. If you are a single woman, the issue becomes a little more complex. Do you want to "hook up" or are you just looking to dive. If you are just looking to dive, then the possibilities open up. If your potential buddy is a male and married, set the ground rules in advance (you don't have to be blunt, but gentle cues are easily read.). You can never have too many friends or good dive buddies.

Note: When I lived in New Orleans, as I've posted before, we had a dive club that, by pure coincidence, was comprised exclusively of divers with non-diving spouses or partners. It was perfect, as we could plan trips that made everyone happy. Non-divers had friends to tour or shop or boat with while we were diving. and the divers had a more stress-free time (nothing like going out on the boat with a grumpy family waiting on the beach..been there, done that.)

The other odd thing was that the club was mostly women.

Lulubelle
01-09-2009, 11:52
If you are a single woman, the issue becomes a little more complex. Do you want to "hook up" or are you just looking to dive. If you are just looking to dive, then the possibilities open up. If your potential buddy is a male and married, set the ground rules in advance (you don't have to be blunt, but gentle cues are easily read.). You can never have too many friends or good dive buddies.

Rockhound, not sure why you think that this applies only to single women, I'd say it is a genderless idea. I am an equal opportunity dive buddy and am only looking for diving when I am seeking a buddy on a charter. Male, female, single, married, WHO CARES. In general, that is what people are looking for from me too on said charters, but there have been a number of doofuses who have been looking for more than diving, and unfortunately most of them have not been single. I have been practicing my switch kicks should I need them. I can knock down a 180 pound man if needed.

Back to my Web Ex

Rockhound76
01-09-2009, 14:55
If you are a single woman, the issue becomes a little more complex. Do you want to "hook up" or are you just looking to dive. If you are just looking to dive, then the possibilities open up. If your potential buddy is a male and married, set the ground rules in advance (you don't have to be blunt, but gentle cues are easily read.). You can never have too many friends or good dive buddies.

Rockhound, not sure why you think that this applies only to single women, I'd say it is a genderless idea. I am an equal opportunity dive buddy and am only looking for diving when I am seeking a buddy on a charter. Male, female, single, married, WHO CARES. In general, that is what people are looking for from me too on said charters, but there have been a number of doofuses who have been looking for more than diving, and unfortunately most of them have not been single. I have been practicing my switch kicks should I need them. I can knock down a 180 pound man if needed.

Back to my Web Ex

I guess I was thinking in the context of this being a woman's thread....but you are absolutely right. I've never had, in all my years of diving, a problem with female buddy thinking I had a more generalized "interest" or who felt that way about me. Then again, I didn't have that problem when I was single and WANTED to have that problem.

These days, I only care about the sex of my buddy in the sense that I've found EXPERIENCED female buddies, 1) Stick close 2) Don't mind my camera 3) Match or better me in air consumption. In that sense, I prefer them.

As far as having a married female dive partner, the only time that happened was in the club in New Orleans, a long-long time ago. I've rarely run across married female buddies-in-waiting.

sea princess
01-09-2009, 17:50
I must be the rare married gal needing dive buddies. I usually end up in a group of three if i make it into an odd number of divers or connect with whoever needs a buddy. The more diving i do i am realizing i have to go to meet and greets and talk with fellow divers and get to know them so i have more buddies to dive with. I usually have my husband come with me and he gets to meet everyone too which seems to help. He realizes we spend more time getting ready and actually diving than anything else.

gNats
01-10-2009, 01:21
Hey Gnat..

I'll be your dive buddy and I am a girl to boot. :smiley20: Wanna go to Bonaire with me?????

You BET! But I call the bed closest to the window!

Hahahaha - I did miss this posting... I was too mezmerized over the flaming genitals article. Scary stuff out there. Now I know why I like it so much below the thermocline.

Vercingetorix
01-10-2009, 08:13
These days, I only care about the sex of my buddy in the sense that I've found EXPERIENCED female buddies, 1) Stick close 2) Don't mind my camera 3) Match or better me in air consumption. In that sense, I prefer them.My experience matches rockhound.

It may be sexist to say, but female divers tend to stick closer than male divers. If I'm the lead diver, I tend to check on my buddy about every 15 seconds or so, because a lot can happen in a short time. If I'm following another male diver, they rarely look back.

Some examples:
1) During OW checkout...I repeat OW CHECKOUT...the instructor had to talk to my buddy three times about leaving me. Even threatened to fail him because of this

2) During another class, a buddy and I were observing, and he took off without notifying me. Viz was about 10 feet, so I ended up circling about trying to locate him. He notified me later that he saw me searching and chose not to notify me.

3) On a recent dive to Ouachita, my "buddy" ditched me twice...on the same dive. Ditched me on the following dive as well

There are other examples, but I won't belabor the point. Meanwhile, I've never had a female diver ditch me and, whether they are leading or following they always know where I am.

Lulubelle
01-10-2009, 09:42
These days, I only care about the sex of my buddy in the sense that I've found EXPERIENCED female buddies, 1) Stick close 2) Don't mind my camera 3) Match or better me in air consumption. In that sense, I prefer them.My experience matches rockhound.

It may be sexist to say, but female divers tend to stick closer than male divers. If I'm the lead diver, I tend to check on my buddy about every 15 seconds or so, because a lot can happen in a short time. If I'm following another male diver, they rarely look back.

Some examples:
1) During OW checkout...I repeat OW CHECKOUT...the instructor had to talk to my buddy three times about leaving me. Even threatened to fail him because of this

2) During another class, a buddy and I were observing, and he took off without notifying me. Viz was about 10 feet, so I ended up circling about trying to locate him. He notified me later that he saw me searching and chose not to notify me.

3) On a recent dive to Ouachita, my "buddy" ditched me twice...on the same dive. Ditched me on the following dive as well

There are other examples, but i won't belabor the point. Meanwhile, I've never had a female diver ditch me and, whether they are leading or following they always know where I am.

Interesting observation Rick, but I'd have to agree. Our vis can be terrible here sometimes. Easy to lose a buddy. My female dive buddies will look back frequently and I do the same. I dive with a female most of the time as she is a regular buddy. Some guys have been great,I have been the one working to stay together with others.

shawnwill36
01-10-2009, 15:55
mine trusts me but i dont think she would like me spending the night in a room with a female as i wouldnt be comfy with her being in a room all night with a guy

Splitlip
01-10-2009, 17:04
mine trusts me but i dont think she would like me spending the night in a room with a female as i wouldnt be comfy with her being in a room all night with a guy

Irellivent. It is different for men. :smilie40:

Lulubelle
01-10-2009, 17:07

Some men.

Vercingetorix
01-10-2009, 17:15

Some men.All men!!!!

There's a very strict double-standard that must be maintained. Otherwise, you are messing with the primal forces of nature.

Special men live by special rules.

//pardon me while I don my 7mm flameproof wetsuit <LOL>

Splitlip
01-10-2009, 17:32
Thanks Rick.
You beat me to it.

Lulubelle
01-10-2009, 18:00
Special men live by special rules.

//pardon me while I don my 7mm flameproof wetsuit <LOL>

No need to don the flameproof wetsuit Rick, us girls know who is making the rules you and Splitlip live by!:smilie39:

Splitlip
01-10-2009, 18:31
http://www.nuuanu.k12.hi.us/G-1/public_html/websites/chelsea/images/zeus.gif

Vercingetorix
01-10-2009, 18:53
No need to don the flameproof wetsuit Rick, us girls know who is making the rules you and Splitlip live by!:smilie39:Hey, watch it!!!!

Let there be no mistake. I MAKE the rules in our household, and I have my wife's permission to do so.

mm2002
01-10-2009, 18:54
Damn, who the hell is that guy Tim? Looks like Tom Hanks on that island, if he'd found a Fed Ex package with a set of barbells.

Lulubelle
01-10-2009, 19:49
Damn, who the hell is that guy Tim? Looks like Tom Hanks on that island, if he'd found a Fed Ex package with a set of barbells.

I don't know Mark, but I noticed that he is wearing some purple Splitlip couture.

Skred
01-10-2009, 20:09

I don't know Mark, but I noticed that he is wearing some purple Splitlip couture.

I don't see an issue. Looks to me like he's manly enough to pull it off...

Vercingetorix
01-10-2009, 22:25
Damn, who the hell is that guy Tim? Looks like Tom Hanks on that island, if he'd found a Fed Ex package with a set of barbells. I dunno, he looks more like this guy (again with a colored ensemble):
http://forum.scubatoys.com/customprofilepics/profilepic385_9.gif

This guy is REALLY scary...

Diver Kat
01-10-2009, 22:30
Looks like he found a 2nd use for those drapes!!:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:
(or he had some left over fabric and decided to wear it!)

Chocoholic
01-11-2009, 18:34
My husband doesn't dive but I really wish he did. I am a travel diver since I will NOT dive in cold water anymore. I am always the buddyless diver on the boat so I usually dive with instabuddies. Most often the instabuddy is a guy, but I really don't care. I dive like I was solo diving and I rely only on myself, but I stick close and plan on sharing my air.

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 18:49
My husband doesn't dive but I really wish he did. I am a travel diver since I will NOT dive in cold water anymore. I am always the buddyless diver on the boat so I usually dive with instabuddies. Most often the instabuddy is a guy, but I really don't care. I dive like I was solo diving and I rely only on myself, but I stick close and plan on sharing my air.

What does this post have to do with the abuse I am getting? You are either with me or against me.

Edit:

Just got a PM from one of the mods. "This is not all about (me)."
Go figure. :)

Chocoholic
01-11-2009, 19:02

What does this post have to do with the abuse I am getting? You are either with me or against me.

Edit:

I guess i should read all the pages so I know what the heck you are talking about.....:smiley11: but there are 16 pages to wade thru.

Lulubelle
01-11-2009, 19:07
"This is not all about (me)."

We know that this is deeply painful for you Splitlip. Your Italian mamma did not prepare you for this moment. :smiley19:

I guess i should read all the pages so I know what the heck you are talking about.....:smiley11: but there are 16 pages to wade thru.

No, no, no chocoholic, this thread was hijacked and YOU were on topic. Let me know if you are ever headed to NC and need a dive buddy!

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 19:07

Edit:

Oh, I'm just offering quirky comic relief.

mm2002
01-11-2009, 19:18
Oh, I'm just offering quirky comic relief.

So let the abuse continue? :smiley36:
You know we love ya brother Tim! :smiley20:

That's me on the left, holding a starfish. Can you guess where I was at?

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 19:22
BHB?..

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 19:27
BHB?..

ScubaBoard Conch Divers are talking another event there 2/21. I plan to talk Truered1 and her BF into attending. Dmwiz too. Wiz just does not know it yet.:)

mm2002
01-11-2009, 19:30
Is it for beer drinking or diving? I'd be up for both maybe....:smiley36:

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 19:32
Is it for beer drinking or diving? I'd be up for both maybe....:smiley36:

Dive first than off gas with beer.

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 19:34
Make sure you keep in touch with the Conch Forum, Fellow Conch.

Lulubelle
01-11-2009, 19:46
BHB?..

ScubaBoard Conch Divers are talking another event there 2/21. I plan to talk Truered1 and her BF into attending. Dmwiz too. Wiz just does not know it yet.:)

Make sure you keep in touch with the Conch Forum, Fellow Conch.

Umm, this is the male dive buddies thread?

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 19:57
Mark and I are both males.

spiritdancer2u
01-11-2009, 19:59
I am married and my husband dives. I am learning, but, if he wanted to go diving, and he could only have a female dive buddy on a trip, I would say go for it. I trust him to dive, and I am sure your wife trusts you as well. Its nice to know though that your dedicated to your spouse and consider her your best friend. I consider my husband my best friend too. On a trip we had recently to florida, he had my son to dive with. He sorta felt bad that I wasnt diving, but I encouraged him. He works too hard and if he finds diving relaxing, then by all means, I want him to do it. He might not always have my son to dive with, and maybe eventually I will join him, but if his only choice is to dive with a female, I would rather see him enjoying diving then worrying about what I think or feel. Talk to your wife, she may feel the same way. Even if your BFF (best friends forever) you can always make new friends and enjoy a hobby that makes you happy!

mm2002
01-11-2009, 20:00

Or at least that's the front we put up to keep others guessing......:smilie40:

mm2002
01-11-2009, 20:01
He works too hard and if he finds diving relaxing, then by all means, I want him to do it.

The world needs more wives like you! :smiley20:

Lulubelle
01-11-2009, 20:03

Yes, but this is the Women's issues forum my dear boys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Spirit, how is the mask stuff coming? Hope you are still working on it, the sport needs some more women out here!

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 20:08
And Mark and I will both avail ourselves to dive with women (of the opposite sex).

Lulubelle
01-11-2009, 20:10
He works too hard and if he finds diving relaxing, then by all means, I want him to do it.

The world needs more wives like you! :smiley20:

I'd be the same...I wouldn't choose a mate I didn't trust completely, if there was any doubt, he wouldn't be my mate. And I wouldn't ask them to give up a great hobby like this that is good for them.

My sister in law gives my brother grief about the time he spends playing basketball. Makes me crazy. He played in college, it is his love. It is the only exercise he gets, he has a family history of heart disease, and she gives him grief. Ridiculous.

Lulubelle
01-11-2009, 20:12
And Mark and I will both avail ourselves to dive with women (of the opposite sex).

I'm confused...Aren't all women of the opposite sex to you and Mark? Thanks for availing yourselves. I'll be in Florida in March.

mm2002
01-11-2009, 20:14

I'm confused...Aren't all women of the opposite sex to you and Mark? Thanks for availing yourselves. I'll be in Florida in March.

Hey wait just a darn minute.....ummm or not.....oh crap I'm confused now. :smiley29:
Hey Sis, if you come to FL, look me up. I'll take you to Tims man cave.
It's not quite as bad as the pic. Plus....there's beer there and I know where it is! :smiley2:

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 20:15

I'm confused...Aren't all women of the opposite sex to you and Mark? You have never been to South Beach LOL Thanks for availing yourselves. I'll be in Florida in March. Hope to see you then! ......

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 20:17

Hey wait just a darn minute.....ummm or not.....oh crap I'm confused now. :smiley29:
Hey Sis, if you come to FL, look me up. I'll take you to Tims man cave.
It's not quite as bad as the pic. Plus....there's beer there and I know where it is! :smiley2:

Thanks Mark. I f***ed up with that one picture, It ain't so bad. I mean, I cook in the garage!. Pretty manly.

Lulubelle
01-11-2009, 20:19
I'll take you to Tims man cave.
It's not quite as bad as the pic.
Negative on that plan Mark.

I'm confused...Aren't all women of the opposite sex to you and Mark? You have never been to South Beach LOL Thanks for availing yourselves. I'll be in Florida in March. Hope to see you then!

I have been to South Beach many times so point conceded.

mm2002
01-11-2009, 20:25
Tims garage is the coolest man cave imaginable. There's food cooking, scuba gear, and a fridge full of beer and food. Just doesn't get any cooler than that in my book. Oh yeah, and NO violet drapes!!!!! Shocked?

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 20:37
Tims garage is the coolest man cave imaginable. There's food cooking, scuba gear, and a fridge full of beer and food. Just doesn't get any cooler than that in my book. Oh yeah, and NO violet drapes!!!!! Shocked?

Thank you!

I took pictures the other day when I was feeling weenified. Never got around to posting them.

But ahem.. you failed to mention the surfboard rack and urinal. (OK laundry sink). And TV, Sterio, work bench and bikes hung from the ceiling.

Thanks Bro, I feel vindicated.

fire diver
01-11-2009, 20:44
But ahem.. you failed to mention the urinal. (OK laundry sink).

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

Good thing I wasnt drinking anything or someone would owe me a new laptop!

Splitlip
01-11-2009, 20:50
But ahem.. you failed to mention the urinal. (OK laundry sink).

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

Good thing I wasnt drinking anything or someone would owe me a new laptop!

We also put a 1 x 8 across it and use it as a wet bar.

Diver Kat
01-11-2009, 23:51
We also put a 1 x 8 across it and use it as a wet bar.
I'm (literally!) not touching that one!:ignore:

I've been lucky enough to have my husband as my dive buddy for all of my dives, except maybe 5 or 6 throughout the years. I guess we've been together so long I never even considered the problems of male/female dive buddies. But it wouldn't bother me in the least if he was diving with a female buddy, if I wasn't there. And I think he feels the same, as I have been diving in Cozumel & Bonaire without him. But I could see it possibly being much harder for a non-diving spouse or SO to deal with, as they might not understand the addiction to diving.

Rockhound76
01-12-2009, 09:20
This thread has gotten me all confused. That'll teach me for going away this weekend....

The old photo I saw posted? Are those powerhead cartridges on the belt? I used to have the same getup...hehehe.

Regarding (male perspective) opposite sex buddies:
1) My wife does not mind that I have female friends and dive buddies.
2) She would likely mind if I shared a room (private) with them. This is a subject I have not broached, nor will I.
3) My sharing a 4-person bunkhouse room with my regular female buddy is no problem as are overnight trips where we have seperate rooms or bedrooms.
4) I was once assigned a room with a woman I did not know on a dive trip, as we shared the same last name and the dive operator thought we were married. Because there was another couple in the room and it had a roll-a-bed, and I was already friends with them the other couple, we let the arrangement stand. She turned out to be a good friend that I dived with several times over a three or four year period (until she got married and her evil spouse forbid it.)

Back to the main subject: Experienced women, I mean women experienced at diving, make good buddies, but so do experienced male buddies as long as their style of diving fits yours. Like any other activity, you need to establish the ground-rules ahead of time.

CamaroChick
01-23-2009, 13:48
married and always dive with my hubby :smiley27:

Splitlip
01-23-2009, 16:56
This thread has gotten me all confused. That'll teach me for going away this weekend....

The old photo I saw posted? Are those powerhead cartridges on the belt? I used to have the same getup...hehehe.

Sorry Rock. Did not see your post earlier.

Yes. Cartridges.

01-23-2009, 23:34
I have not cheated on my wife. I don't plan to cheat on her. But I am a man in good health, so I avoid "the occasions of sin" -- I make it a point never to be alone with a woman. It's better for appearance and avoids the possibility of destroying my family for a little biological fun. I would not share a private room with a woman. No way. I know I wouldn't make the first move, but if she did, I know I'd regret the next morning.

Personally I think y'all wrote off Crime Diver too quickly. He's absolutely right that there is a lot of hanky panky going on, and probably also by those who proclaim innocence in this thread.

Splitlip
01-23-2009, 23:39
I have not cheated on my wife. I don't plan to cheat on her. But I am a man in good health, so I avoid "the occasions of sin" -- I make it a point never to be alone with a woman. It's better for appearance and avoids the possibility of destroying my family for a little biological fun. I would not share a private room with a woman. No way. I know I wouldn't make the first move, but if she did, I know I'd regret the next morning.

Oh, come on. Don't go all Alan Alda on us.:smiley36:

RoyN
01-24-2009, 00:33

Personally I think y'all wrote off Crime Diver too quickly. He's absolutely right that there is a lot of hanky panky going on, and probably also by those who proclaim innocence in this thread.

:smiley20:

chicken
01-24-2009, 06:02
Wow, I just wanted somebody to dive with.

mm2002
01-24-2009, 10:01
Wow, I just wanted somebody to dive with.

Yeah, you cheater! :smiley36::smiley36::smiley36:

scubajane
01-24-2009, 19:38

good thoughts!! shun the appearance of evil. it prevents death by your wife's hand. :) oh wait we were talking about diving with a dive buddy of the opposite sex..... I usually dive with Hubby. I have recently had the opportunity to dive with someone other than hubby. he had the same ocean same dive mentality.... so I stuck with the dm. instabuddy showed up at the end of the dive. ok I still got to dive. I like to be able to see my dive buddy..ya know, I might need some help, or they might need some help.. I really like being safe.

Crimediver
01-27-2009, 09:39

Yeah, I know I am right, but those who are involved in the merriment are not saying so and then there are some who doth protest too much.

Now where did I put my club?

hychang
01-27-2009, 10:05
Still a newbie here, haven't had the opportunity to dive with a female partner. I wouldn't be anything interested in anything more than a dive buddy as I'm afraid of my wife's lawyer. It's bad enough she's a CPA and has hidden all "our" (a.k.a. her money as she likes to say), but to get her lawyer on my case as well is enough to keep me out of trouble.
Wow, I just wanted somebody to dive with. I with Chicken on this. :smiley20:

chicken
01-27-2009, 18:16
I work out with some nice ladies at our local LA Fitness and it hasn't cuased any problems for me. I don't see why diving with a female buddy would be a problem either unless we were sharing a hotel room, double bed, and buddy breathing during our surface interval!

hychang
01-28-2009, 14:03
Nicely stated and... you're right:smiley20:

I work out with some nice ladies at our local LA Fitness and it hasn't cuased any problems for me. I don't see why diving with a female buddy would be a problem either unless we were sharing a hotel room, double bed, and buddy breathing during our surface interval!

shawnwill36
01-29-2009, 09:56
well i am single again so i guess it doesnt matter :)

betheny
02-02-2009, 01:22
My husband ran off w/out me in my 1st open water dive, drifting in Coz. He says he kept his eye on me at all times. I said "Did you see the sign language?" "What sign language?" My bff and only dive buddy now, Jill, was our 3rd buddy, that dive. She knew I was unnerved by the current, is very experienced, and stuck tight. She cracked up, said "Steve, there was a lot of sign language down there. If you missed it, you probably need to watch more closely."

"What was she signaling?"

"THE BIRD!"

Now that I'm a "special needs" diver I'm afraid to dive with him. Others people's needs don't register with him much. Dandy for him, dangerous for others. He's a darned good diver, brings pony tanks and redundant everything, makes himself independent.

I prefer the buddy system.

He'd be jealous if I went on a dive trip w/ a man. I'm less jealous.

Splitlip
02-08-2009, 00:11
He's a man. Typical. Thinking of himself.

gNats
02-08-2009, 07:24
My husband ran off w/out me in my 1st open water dive, drifting in Coz. He says he kept his eye on me at all times. I said "Did you see the sign language?" "What sign language?" My bff and only dive buddy now, Jill, was our 3rd buddy, that dive. She knew I was unnerved by the current, is very experienced, and stuck tight. She cracked up, said "Steve, there was a lot of sign language down there. If you missed it, you probably need to watch more closely."

"What was she signaling?"

"THE BIRD!"

Now that I'm a "special needs" diver I'm afraid to dive with him. Others people's needs don't register with him much. Dandy for him, dangerous for others. He's a darned good diver, brings pony tanks and redundant everything, makes himself independent.

I prefer the buddy system.

He'd be jealous if I went on a dive trip w/ a man. I'm less jealous.

Haahaha - here's how you fix his attention span problem. Next dive you two are on, buddy up with ANY other man, especially someone in the same looks or age category. Just say, "My hubby is really a solo diver, may I join you? (if there is more than 1 guy YEA BABY). Then proceed to set your gear up by these new dive buddies (so you can talk about the dive of course). Don't forget to laugh and have a good time.

I guarantee you, he will pay closer attention on that dive. :smiley2:

Vercingetorix
02-08-2009, 08:38
Haahaha - here's how you fix his attention span problem. Next dive you two are on, buddy up with ANY other man, especially someone in the same looks or age category. Just say, "My hubby is really a solo diver, may I join you? (if there is more than 1 guy YEA BABY). Then proceed to set your gear up by these new dive buddies (so you can talk about the dive of course). Don't forget to laugh and have a good time.

I guarantee you, he will pay closer attention on that dive. :smiley2:I see, so you favor mind games? OK..I get it.

gNats
02-08-2009, 08:42

I guarantee you, he will pay closer attention on that dive. :smiley2:I see, so you favor mind games? OK..I get it.

No. I don't. But, it got your attention mighty quick now didn't it? :smilie40:

Queen
02-08-2009, 16:16
I have a partner who doesn't dive, she doesn't care who I buddy up with as long as I'm safe. That said, I've been on dives where non-diving GF's and wives didn't want their hubby buddying with me...after I explained the circumstances they were usually okay with it, but it gets old having to have that conversation so I always see if I can triple up with a couple and just trail along after them.

mm2002
02-08-2009, 16:19
I always see if I can triple up with a couple

Kinda kinky eh? :smiley36:

Queen
02-08-2009, 16:21
I always see if I can triple up with a couple

Kinda kinky eh? :smiley36:

You know it! :icon_smile_tongue:

mm2002
02-08-2009, 18:01
:smiley36:

Seriously though, some of my favorite dive buddies are male. Does that make me weird?

Splitlip
02-08-2009, 18:12
You are weird, but has nothing to do with the company you keep. (I have your back Bro)

mm2002
02-08-2009, 18:39
You are weird, but has nothing to do with the company you keep. (I have your back Bro)

ummmm....thanks bro....um I mean Sis, doh!

Splitlip
02-08-2009, 18:50
I'm beginning to feel like Norman Bates. What is real and what is fantasy?

But you know what? I was thinking. If you play for "both teams", your chances of getting lucky are doubled. :smilie39:

02-08-2009, 19:13

But you know what? I was thinking. If you play for "both teams", your chances of getting lucky are doubled. :smilie39:

Or cut in half

Lulubelle
02-08-2009, 19:26

Or cut in half

:smiley36:Wow, there goes wise homeboy AGAIN.

fire diver
02-08-2009, 23:10

ummmm....thanks bro....um I mean Sis, doh!

Hey MM, where'd you find the pic of my mother-inlaw?

firenwater
02-13-2009, 15:04

I thought I had problems. I live in NY and don't really like cold water. Alaska - yikes. No wonder you only travel dive. I really wish I had a female dive buddy. I am in the same boat as you, my hubbie doesn't dive. I am always hopeful he might give it a try- we can always hope:smiley36:

Chocoholic
02-14-2009, 13:59
Yes, we can always hope that our SOs will want to learn to dive. I've tried for a long time and I finally got him to like snorkeling, maybe eventually diving?? One of our couple friends up here dives but they like Hawaii and I can't talk my hubby into going there. Took me ten years to talk him into going to Mexico, and now he loves it.

clayton
02-15-2009, 14:13
The mere suggestion of warm water and diveing and I am there!!!!!!

fanatique
03-27-2009, 10:42
I think that most "real" lady divers would rather buddy-up with a male stranger than a female stranger. Not to be sexist but I've seen so many new female divers that are taken in by this myth of how cool diving makes you, and it's literally a bitch buddying up with them. So much to take care of you can't even concentrate on the dive.

Of course, there needs to be boundaries beforehand, and a SO that is understanding. That is the key to everything.

mm2002
03-27-2009, 19:16
I think that most "real" lady divers would rather buddy-up with a male stranger than a female stranger. Not to be sexist but I've seen so many new female divers that are taken in by this myth of how cool diving makes you, and it's literally a bitch buddying up with them. So much to take care of you can't even concentrate on the dive.

Of course, there needs to be boundaries beforehand, and a SO that is understanding. That is the key to everything.

Ummm ok. I may be slow, but I'm not sure I totally understand your post. Please elaborate a bit more on that train of thought. Once I completely understand it, I'll likely come back with something meaningful. :smilie40:

din
03-27-2009, 19:31
right now I'm trying to convince the current object of my heart's desire to investigate scuba diving a little bit more. my last GF didn't swim at all, and it was pretty frustrating. we broke up for unrelated reasons, so I don't know if she would have wanted to try eventually, but she was insanely jealous of any women that I dived with and it caused a lot of problems. :( I think you don't just need to establish boundaries with new dive buddies, but when you go into a new relationship, just so they know these are people you are going to be spending time with, but if they'd care to take up diving you'd be more than happy to have them as your buddy. I know, there's a lot of unattributed pronouns in there, sorry about that. I'm tired.

03-27-2009, 19:34

Ummm ok. I may be slow, but I'm not sure I totally understand your post. Please elaborate a bit more on that train of thought. Once I completely understand it, I'll likely come back with something meaningful. :smilie40:

Methinks he's just saying that he's a post whore trying to rack up 250 in record time.

Merrimorte
03-27-2009, 20:55
Well, now that I actually have a SO, I can better comment. He is not a diver... No biggie. As far as who I dive with he don't much care, as long as I am safe. Lucky for me his is a non jealous soul. He supports what I do and has even carried my gear for me before.

Granted I also have to tolerate the fact that he has numerous girls for friends...

We know where we belong and what is most important. One act of stupidity isn't worth our life together.

fanatique
03-28-2009, 09:36

Like what someone says a few posts back, some lady divers expect you to wait on them (like a butler, not a buddy). It's alright when they are two girls/women who are at the same level and understanding, but trust me it blows when one of them partners you and you are a guy.

Not trying to generalise across the entire female population of divers, but I hope you get my drift. :smilie40:

fanatique
03-28-2009, 09:38

Methinks he's just saying that he's a post whore trying to rack up 250 in record time.

And me thinks maybe you think your post count gives you some delusion that you are at a superior standing able to comment on others so flippantly. I might not have been clear but at least I had something useful to say, rather than an inane comment on a comment.

Good Day. :smiley36:

03-28-2009, 11:29

And me thinks maybe you think your post count gives you some delusion that you are at a superior standing able to comment on others so flippantly. I might not have been clear but at least I had something useful to say, rather than an inane comment on a comment.

Good Day. :smiley36:

My standing or lack thereof is immaterial. The evidence clearly shows what you are doing. Others have preceded you with less success, but over the past two days you've succeeded in filling my screen with such inordinate inanity that I've been unable to remain equanimous.

In truth I didn't even read your post to this thread and I still haven't. If it is indeed useful then it might be the first useful post you've made on this board.

Flippancy and indignation your way, kind sir.

Adieu.

mitsuguy
03-28-2009, 11:58

My wife qualifies as a "real" lady diver, and I posed this question to her.... she has zero preference whether guy or girl... underwater people are people, and sometimes girls are the better divers, sometimes guys are the better divers... either way, she's able to take care of herself and whoever she is diving with whether training a diver never been in the water, or just out on a fun dive with people that have been diving for years...

if anything, what I see is that guys have a tendency to be a little more daring than girls on an overall general issue... honestly, if I am out with divers that I am watching over or training, I'd almost rather train girls because they tend to be a little less daring... that being said, it's many times easier to train guys because as a general rule they are a little more daring... its a toss up either way... and no, for the girls that say "i'm not timid at all," or those that say, "I'm more daring than your average guy." I have no doubt about it... I'm just generalizing over the whole spectrum I've seen...

mm2002
03-28-2009, 16:17
My standing or lack thereof is immaterial. The evidence clearly shows what you are doing. Others have preceded you with less success, but over the past two days you've succeeded in filling my screen with such inordinate inanity that I've been unable to remain equanimous.

In truth I didn't even read your post to this thread and I still haven't. If it is indeed useful then it might be the first useful post you've made on this board.

Flippancy and indignation your way, kind sir.
Adieu.

Kinda what I was thinking, but you're so much better at putting into words! :smiley20:

gNats
03-28-2009, 17:53

:smiley29: WHAT MYTH IS THERE THAT DIVING MAKES YOU LOOK COOL? :smiley29:

And, what is a "real" lady diver? Not sure I understand your point.

Excuse me, but I don't know any female diver (especially new divers) that feels she is sexy or cool in her dive gear. Most of us are quite intimidated and overwhelmed by our new dive gear to go prancing around like we are a barbie doll on display. That is what you are referring to? And, since so many men are eager to point out how women look in bathing suits and tight dive gear, why shouldn't we feel intimidated?

Some of us prefer the women over men. Most women don't need to qualify their answers with "not to be sexist" and our egos get checked at the door.

gNats
03-28-2009, 18:07

Like what someone says a few posts back, some lady divers expect you to wait on them (like a butler, not a buddy). It's alright when they are two girls/women who are at the same level and understanding, but trust me it blows when one of them partners you and you are a guy.

Not trying to generalise across the entire female population of divers, but I hope you get my drift. :smilie40:

Okay - I won't disagree, there are some women who expect their husbands to carry their gear, assemble it, carry it to the water and strap it on their back.

My dear sir, these women would NEVER EVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS dream of diving with ANYONE but their hubbies.

They are not prima-donnas. They are women who like to dive but are insecure in their own skills OR they only dive to satisfy him and their marriage. They are most likely Warm Water Divers. After a dive they hit the shops.

I'm not judging these ladies. It works for them and hopefully they have happy marriages, meaning it works for hubby also.

So back to your non-sexist remark. What women are you referring to? Cuz I don't know of any woman that would take dive lessons on her own, throw her gear into her truck/car/suv, head to a quarry/river/boat dock, and expect a man to butler her around.

I am led to the following conclusions:

1. You are speaking in code for your own relationship.
2. You are coveting another man's wife and carrying HER gear around (which I am told can be cause for the hubby to lawfully drown you in a cave)

With less than 24 dives yourself, should you really try to generalize what women want in dive buddies? I don't get your drift, maybe the current you are in is too strong.

Splitlip
03-28-2009, 18:36
God, I like her!

I just hope I never piss her off though.:)

mm2002
03-28-2009, 19:27
God, I like her!

I just hope I never piss her off though.:)

Yep. Also, she kinda summed up my..........oh...never mind.

03-28-2009, 19:29

Okay - I won't disagree, there are some women who expect their husbands to carry their gear, assemble it, carry it to the water and strap it on their back.

My dear sir, these women would NEVER EVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS dream of diving with ANYONE but their hubbies.

They are not prima-donnas. They are women who like to dive but are insecure in their own skills OR they only dive to satisfy him and their marriage. They are most likely Warm Water Divers. After a dive they hit the shops.

I'm not judging these ladies. It works for them and hopefully they have happy marriages, meaning it works for hubby also.

So back to your non-sexist remark. What women are you referring to? Cuz I don't know of any woman that would take dive lessons on her own, throw her gear into her truck/car/suv, head to a quarry/river/boat dock, and expect a man to butler her around.

2. You are coveting another man's wife and carrying HER gear around (which I am told can be cause for the hubby to lawfully drown you in a cave)

With less than 24 dives yourself, should you really try to generalize what women want in dive buddies? I don't get your drift, maybe the current you are in is too strong.

Sick him, Squirrel!

setesh
03-29-2009, 00:04
:smiley29: WHAT MYTH IS THERE THAT DIVING MAKES YOU LOOK COOL? :smiley29:

And, what is a "real" lady diver? Not sure I understand your point.

Excuse me, but I don't know any female diver (especially new divers) that feels she is sexy or cool in her dive gear. Most of us are quite intimidated and overwhelmed by our new dive gear to go prancing around like we are a barbie doll on display.

It took me forever to get my wife to even TRY diving. First of all she gets claustrophobic really easy, but she was also scared of all the equipment. She didn't like that there was so much stuff to remember and the equipment was really daunting for her. Besides that she didn't want to look stupid in front of a bunch of guys. In fact, this pretty much summed up her opinion of the sport:
YouTube - Real Housewife Vlog: On Scuba Diving (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE2SQ2sDQ_s)
But a few years ago on a cruise two other couples we had made friends with said they would try it with her. After a couple of days of assuring her that she could back out at any time if she wasn't comfortable, and we would even stay on the boat with her and keep her company, we all did a "discover scuba" class. She did really good too!, I was (and still am) really proud of her for trying it. She just couldn't handle having so much water over her head though (claustrophobic). So, unfortunately, my best buddy can't be my dive buddy :smiley6:.

Anyway, my point was that I don't think any women try diving to make them feel sexy. I DO think it's really unfortunate that some women might be scared off from such a rewarding sport because some prick doesn't want to help them out a bit and make them feel more comfortable. If you really like diving, why wouldn't you want to put the extra effort in to help someone else like it too? I mean, that's pretty much what makes this forum run is people who love the sport helping others learn to love it too. If someone's that self centered then maybe they should take up solo diving.

Diver Kat
03-29-2009, 00:12

:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32: Don't think anyone could have said it better!!!

fanatique
03-29-2009, 09:08
Take a chill pill guys. I tried to put a non-sexist disclaimer but I guess I shoulda seen it coming, seeing as to how this is the women's issues forums anyhow.

What I am saying is purely from my own experience, going to scuba class in school. Maybe it's the whole setting, or maybe it's the instructor's encouragement, but it's simply what I observe. If anyone feels upset about what I posted, well I'm sorry you had to read what I typed. ^-^

cowgirldiver
03-30-2009, 12:41
We all have seen the women he is talking about. I'll never forget the first time I saw it. The girl started walking towards the boat, turned her boyfriend and said "Steven, bring my stuff!!". The rest of us were quite unbelieving but he did what she said.
I don't mind carrying my own stuff-with most of the people I dive with, it's expected. But if someone wants to help me carry my tank down a really steep hill or I'm having problems getting my fins on in the lake, I'm more than happy to accept the offer. I just don't expect it.

gNats
03-30-2009, 13:25
We all have seen the women he is talking about. I'll never forget the first time I saw it. The girl started walking towards the boat, turned her boyfriend and said "Steven, bring my stuff!!". The rest of us were quite unbelieving but he did what she said.
I don't mind carrying my own stuff-with most of the people I dive with, it's expected. But if someone wants to help me carry my tank down a really steep hill or I'm having problems getting my fins on in the lake, I'm more than happy to accept the offer. I just don't expect it.

Hey CowGirl,

I completely agree- those women are out there, but they are NOT single female divers looking to find buddies.

Steve's GF (in your example) has a buddy, along with the other women like her. They are called boyfriends, husbands, or significant others.

Fanatique's comments did not state that women divers treat their hubby/BF/SO with disrespect. He made a generalized comment about women who show up to a boat or dive site looking for dive partners and expect the men to shlep their stuff around for them.

I have a GF who will let her husband carry her stuff, but she would never expect a stranger to do the same. Nor does she throw her gear in the car and head out to dive with persons other than her husband.

Fanatique's non-sexist comments lumped you and me in the same body of water as the woman who dives with her husband and lets/asks/demands that her husband carry her gear, assemble it and disassemble while they read a magazine.

Neither you nor I would turn down help. Nor would we be afraid to ask for it, if we truly felt we needed it. That doesn't make us a woman diver who expects her buddy to be her butler.

03-30-2009, 14:16
We were headed to the Rosin Wreck (almost certainly the SS Runa) off Cape Fear NC. This wreck lies in 115fsw. I had my gear all set up and was planning to dive as part of a 3 member team with some people I knew. We had 2 walk-ons on this charter. One was female and one was male but they were not diving together. The young lady started setting up and was putting her reg on backwards. When she couldn't quite figure it out she turned to me and asked for help. I helped her. The middle aged guy was quite slow but figured out which way to put the reg on the tank but I noticed that he set his tank up without removing the bungee- I'm sure we've all done it once. We left the inlet to find 5 footers and a strong South wind. God help these people, it was only going to get worse at we made it out past the Cape. The young lady had never been below 80 ft, the middle aged man had not dived in over a year. I decided that I would sacrifice my dive to see if I could keep some people from killing themselves so I offered to buddy with them both. The Captain decided it was too rough to try to make it to the Runa, so we turned and tried to make the Hyde but conditions deteriorated quickly, so we turned around and headed back. As we were breaking down out gear the young lady was not able to remove her reg. She asked for help so I purged her regs and it came right off. The guy finally realized he had bungied his tank in.

Not really sure why I shared this. The woman certainly did not expect anyone to be her butler. She did have enough sense to ask when she didn't know how to do something. But what bothers me is why was she on THAT trip? Diving way beyond your experience level is not the kind of rash behavior I expect from someone with two good X chromosomes. I've come to expect it from men.

Diver Kat
03-30-2009, 14:52
... The woman certainly did not expect anyone to be her butler. She did have enough sense to ask when she didn't know how to do something. But what bothers me is why was she on THAT trip? Diving way beyond your experience level is not the kind of rash behavior I expect from someone with two good X chromosomes. I've come to expect it from men.

I've seen both men & women who don't have a clue on the boat, but luckily, it's not been on difficult dives. I also think there's a bit of difference between those newly certified, versus those that apparently got their certification without learning the needed info to dive. So many divers were kind and helpful to me when I started out, I try to always return the favor to newbies. Those that appear to never have been trained properly, in general seem to think they know it all, and don't take kindly to any help. And sometimes the dive op puts people into bad situations just to fill a boat. (Not saying your op did this, but it's personally happened to me. I had enough sense to refuse as soon as I knew the deal.)

Your example really does make me wonder about some people .... no common sense and no sense of self preservation!

03-30-2009, 15:14
... The woman certainly did not expect anyone to be her butler. She did have enough sense to ask when she didn't know how to do something. But what bothers me is why was she on THAT trip? Diving way beyond your experience level is not the kind of rash behavior I expect from someone with two good X chromosomes. I've come to expect it from men.

I've seen both men & women who don't have a clue on the boat, but luckily, it's not been on difficult dives. I also think there's a bit of difference between those newly certified, versus those that apparently got their certification without learning the needed info to dive. So many divers were kind and helpful to me when I started out, I try to always return the favor to newbies. Those that appear to never have been trained properly, in general seem to think they know it all, and don't take kindly to any help. And sometimes the dive op puts people into bad situations just to fill a boat. (Not saying your op did this, but it's personally happened to me. I had enough sense to refuse as soon as I knew the deal.)

Your example really does make me wonder about some people .... no common sense and no sense of self preservation!

I'm always willing to help, but I don't offer it unless asked unless you are about to kill yourself or someone else.

Yes, the operator was definitely to blame for this. Had we been planning an easier dive, it would have been fine. But this was really unconscionable, especially in the conditions that had been forecast. And you just don't let new divers on these trips by themselves, even in good conditions. All the mates were heavy smokers and one of them rinsed his BC in the camera bucket. Way to go. Very unprofessional operation. I decided never to dive with them again.

Thankfully they are now out of business.

Lulubelle
03-30-2009, 17:36

Like what someone says a few posts back, some lady divers expect you to wait on them (like a butler, not a buddy).

Holy cow, I am just reading this. Yeah, that's me, I took up diving to be "cool". Too funny. What gNat said. :smilie39:

And quite frankly, if picking from strangers, I would buddy up with a female over a male any day. I buddied with a male recently who never had a clue where his buddy was (me) while we were night diving and dealing with stronger current. I had to chase him the whole time in order not to lose him. I have also buddied with a way too risk friendly male instructor who got us lost and had to buddy breathe off of me. When I have buddied with females, they have been as good of a buddy to me as I have been to them. Both of us were aware of where the other was the entire time.

Buddying with divers I know is always best and gender is irrelevant.

And as for expecting your help, do us a favor and DON'T buddy up with us!!!:smiley20: I can carry my own, and if someone wants to help, I'm happy to accept. I'm also happy to help others. I have muscles, and pointy toe boots, and a killer round kick. So get the 250 posts over with and be done with this inane stuff.

Splitlip
03-30-2009, 18:27
i franticly re-read my posts to make certain I have not said anything to offend. Now I fear Foo, gnats and the belle. :)

Don't piss off any of them.

03-30-2009, 18:30
i franticly re-read my posts to make certain I have not said anything to offend. Now I fear Foo, gnats and the belle. :)

And you have good reason to fear :smiley2:

Lulubelle
03-30-2009, 20:13

And you have good reason to fear :smiley2:

Damn straight you do. :smiley20:

gNats
03-30-2009, 20:49

hahahah - want to laugh at a newbie story?

My FIRST dive after OW cert sans my instructor. I show up at the quarry and I start to assembly my gear and I am looking at my reg 1st stage and there is this exposed HOLE. I had just had my computer put on the 1st stage and I thought for sure they made an error.

I fretted and fretted for about 20 minutes and called my instructor practically in tears. I didn't want to call my dive over this gaping hole and didn't know what would happen if I dived anyway.

He has me describe it to him and i keep describing it and he is going I don't get it and then he said, wait a minute.

That's the hole the allen wrench fits into to take the nut out.

DUAH! I had no idea how to disassemble the 1st stage to put a new hose in. Didn't see that one coming at all.

I think that is a hazard of being new... when you start to fly *solo* without your instructor, you risk looking like you never had a single class in your life until you gain a bit more confidence.

I had a lovely dive that afternoon.

03-30-2009, 21:01

My FIRST dive after OW cert sans my instructor. I show up at the quarry and I start to assembly my gear and I am looking at my reg 1st stage and there is this exposed HOLE. I had just had my computer put on the 1st stage and I thought for sure they made an error.

I fretted and fretted for about 20 minutes and called my instructor practically in tears. I didn't want to call my dive over this gaping hole and didn't know what would happen if I dived anyway.

He has me describe it to him and i keep describing it and he is going I don't get it and then he said, wait a minute.

DUAH! I had no idea how to disassemble the 1st stage to put a new hose in. Didn't see that one coming at all.

I think that is a hazard of being new... when you start to fly *solo* without your instructor, you risk looking like you never had a single class in your life until you gain a bit more confidence.

Pretty funny! At least you had sense to go to the quarry instead of booking a boat for a 115' wreck 40 miles out in the Atlantic freaking Ocean.

Splitlip
03-30-2009, 21:03

Uh..
Please refrain from using that adjective and that noun in the same post.

There are men here for heaven's sake.

gNats
03-30-2009, 21:06

Uh..
Please refrain from using that adjective and that noun in the same post.

There are men here for heaven's sake.

Dang, What did I say? which adjective and noun?

hmmmmm

Lulubelle
03-30-2009, 21:07
Knowing SL's warped mind, I would guess "exposed hole"

03-30-2009, 21:10
Knowing SL's warped mine, I would guess "exposed hole"

That was my first guess also.

gNats
03-30-2009, 21:15

I believe I also said gaping.

jeez.

I was wrong I thought it had to do with... oh forget it.

03-30-2009, 21:17

I believe I also said gaping.

jeez.

I was wrong I thought it had to do with... oh forget it.

Maybe it was gaping- and he thought you were referring to him. I can unserdtand the confusion :smiley2:

Splitlip
03-30-2009, 21:20
:smilie39: You guys are a hoot!

(OMG! Did I just say "Hoot"?) My buddy Blaine from West Virginia would be proud.

03-30-2009, 21:22
:smilie39: You guys are a hoot!

(OMG! Did I just say "Hoot"?) My buddy Blaine from West Virginia would be proud.

I think it takes 3 cut-ups to out do you, SL.

Splitlip
03-30-2009, 21:27
How many do I have remaining?

Diver Kat
03-30-2009, 22:01
Knowing SL's warped mind, I would guess "exposed hole"

LOL ... and my first thought was he was referring to something about the nut ...:smiley36: this could be an entirely new thread - guess what SL was thinking! (I was going to say 'whole' new thread, but that might have started him off again! :smiley2:)